- - - - -

Fitting In?

11 replies to this topic

#1 SlimeLVL1

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

So I started playing this year, meaning I only started not even a week yet. I have always avoided hard core mech games like these since I did not have a good computer back then. Now I that I have, I wanted to give this game a go and I have been enjoying it much to my expectations.

Now to get into my topic, I decided to join house Kurita because, oooh not going to lore since I don't know much about it, I just like their colors, and when I looked at the map they have a big territory so yeah XD.

Right now I own a KGC - 000BS // DWF - WS and a // CPLT - A1C. Obviously I bought them with real money given the amount of time I spent in this game is fairly short and these mechs are pretty high up their in the credits department. After giving these three mechs a try I found out that I prefer doing heavy support fire so I leaned most of my games piloting the Catapult. I am not sure if this is the role I'll be pursuing in the long run but as it stands I feel like I want to devote my time in this game collecting mechs that are good at that role.

I also want a guide to where I can join guilds, or clans, or house whatever this game calls it. Like most pvp based games this game is heavily about team work and I want to join a stable group that can help me excel in this game.

Thank you for reading this and I would appreciate the feedback.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

Welcome to MWO, and to the Draconis Combine (House Kurita).

The Draconis Combine was founded in 2319 by Shiro Kurita, a purveyor of persuasive statesmanship, treachery and bloody military conquest, forged from "almost nothing." Shiro Kurita’s legacy lives on into 3050, from the Combine's devotion to Bushido to its belief that House Kurita will one day rule all inhabited space. Its lore-wise population is largely Japanese and Arabic (Many sub-ethnic groups exist within those broad ranges but for simplicity).

Kurita and Davion are known to exchange quips from across the border and even in combat. (Both in lore and in MWO). From the "extension of the Peace Branch; olive type" (player starting it was original Kurita) to the witty exchanges between generals and commanders. (Kurita general offers the suggestion of surrender. Davion commander retorts "I'm terribly sorry, but we simply don't have enough food to take you all prisoner at this time." Kurita general corrects "I am demanding the surrender of your men, not mine." It goes back and forth.)

I do not know of the status between Kurita and Liao or Kurita and Marik. Kurita and Steiner are at odds and have been for centuries, same with Kurita and Davions.

As a member of the Capellan Confederation (House Liao; Space China), I welcome you to your new home in Space Japan with one hand out, and the other ready to stab you in the back the instant you give me an opening.

You'll fit in quite well here.

(All your base are belong to us.)

#3 Danjo San

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostSlimeLVL1, on 04 January 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

I also want a guide to where I can join guilds, or clans, or house whatever this game calls it. Like most pvp based games this game is heavily about team work and I want to join a stable group that can help me excel in this game.

You probably are looking to join a Unit. Each faction has it's own recruitment procedures and requirements. The available Units within the Combine can be found here http://mwomercs.com/...aconis-combine/

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

Here's a little help.
Where the politics are at. Everything from faction talk to funny exchanges to units (groups, mercs, guilds; just don't call them clans). When in doubt, go to the Hiring Hall with your specs and you will be contacted in short order.

Far as your support role, you may find these videos helpful or at the very least interesting.
This video is incredibly long but very useful for artillery / LRM fire support. Contains two matches using a trial Stalker missile boat to what some have called "surprising" effectiveness, considering how fragile that missile boat often seems to new players. (It pales in fragility to this boat.)

Dire Wolf; long range "Area of Denial." (This is what the King Crab is supposed to do. Gauss Rifles.)
Support role (Jagermech). 2nd vid. (Autocannons.)
This one is older than dirt, but it's a direct fire role. (Autocannons; Cataphract 4x.)
When your fire support is doing its job, it'll look like this for your allies. (Fire support as seen from a grunt's perspective. Mech is the Hunchback 4G).

Edited by Koniving, 04 January 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#5 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

Have a look at this thread......
The Reserves training unit.

http://mwomercs.com/...t-the-reserves/

Edited by Ace Selin, 04 January 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

do you plan to stick with Kurita permanently, if so that limits you to Kurita loyalest units, and means you will never be able to use that Dire in Faction play.
If you are not bothered about staying Kurita that gives you far more options when it comes to joining units, you already have been given a link to Kurita's recruitment section here are links to the other recruitment forums
http://mwomercs.com/...s-inner-sphere/
http://mwomercs.com/...factions-clans/
http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/
Clans can only use Clan Mechs
Spoiler

Inner Sphere factions can only use IS Mechs
Spoiler

Mercenary Corporations can only use Mechs relevant to the faction (Clan or IS) they are currently under contract with.

I strongly recommend visiting a few units websites before making a decision (I have seen several threads where people complain that they picked the wrong unit, you can leave if you do but you may as well get as much information as possible before choosing to reduce the odds of taking a few weeks to realize that unit is not for you), and if you are thinking of going Merc you may want to check out the link in my signature

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 04 January 2016 - 11:42 PM.

#7 SlimeLVL1

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

First off I'd like to say, thank you all for your warmth welcoming feedback to a new player like me.

The guides I have seen and the lore posted for my reading pleasure, I have come to love House Kurita more.

So based on all the information given to me by you lore knowledgable veterans. I have decided to put a goal set for my final drop team for my faction fights.

? // Catapult // Archer // King Crab

If it is not too much to ask I'd like another feed back on what is a good first drop mech, preferably light to medium or should I go for another heavy or assault?

Thank you for reading.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

So, if your thinking of doing community warfare with Catapults and King Crabs, I'd suggest the King Crab as your first drop. In CW most matches tend to start off with the heavy slow mechs smashing into each other trying to dish out the most damage, because the team that wipes the other side first has a mech advantage. Also, by starting slow, you ensure that your big heafty mech gets to the fight along side the team, whereas when reinforcing, not everyone waits for four waves of twelve, and having the speed to catch upto the battle can be very useful.

Now, as for rounding out your load out There two ways to look at it. One; IS currently has 265 tonnage to drop with, or Two; the standard drop tonnage has always been 240 and just gets tweak up and back down. If we look at your mechs.... well, expecting the Archer, which hasn't launched yet, you've 100 and 65 tonners. (Archers easy enough to shoe horn in at just 5 tonnes more'n a catapult. so at best you've got 100 tonnes left for two mechs. And at worst you've 75. Methinks you'll need some mediums or lights.

Now, if you like the support mech, may I suggest a Hunchback or two? the HBK-4SP is very strong with the structure buffs right now (Though I prefer the 4J.) Then the 4G makes a passable ballistic mech, should you care to try ballistics. And I've seen plenty of 4P's about in matches, though they're not to my taste.

As for lights, considering best case scenario your faction tonnage stays the same, when your archer comes out you'll have but 30 tonnes to work with. Or, worst case, tonnage reverts to 240, even with a Hunchback you'd have but 25 tonnes to work with. I cannot, in good conscience suggest a commando or a locust to a new mechwarrior. That said, I have a blast in my locusts and they make fitting in heavy drop load outs so much easier. Ask around bout commandos though, since I don't have any I cannot comment one way or t'other.

Hope that helps, and remember, mine is but one suggestion amongst many. Take your time and find the one that works best for you. Good luck out there Mechwarrior.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 06 January 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:35 AM

with the current 160-265 ton IS drop weight limits you are already at 235 tones with King Crab, Catapult and Archer, that leaves you with just 30 tons to play with,
that means your options are Locust, Commando, Spider or Urbanmech,

the locust has an annoying cockpit but is in my opinion far superior to a commando in most other respects (especial firepower), but being so light both are rather fragile, Commando, Locust and Spider are (depending on variant) the 3 fastest Mechs in the game, in that order.

the Commando is really fast but lightly armed, with no option for Jump Jets and not especially durable it is outclassed by the Locust and Spider, but still a really fun Mech to play, and has the fastest Mech variant in the game

the Spider is the least heavily armed Mech in the game but also the most mobile, able to move at 165kph with up-to 12 Jumpjets depending on model, as with the Locust and Commando there is an ECM variant, thanks to great hitboxes the Spider can absorb a lot of damage for its size, the Spider is my favorite Mech

finally there is the Urbanmech, originally designed as a cheep slow Light, they were designed to take a single large Autocannon, but to be incapable of keeping up with a Dire Wolf, the MWO version includes an unlimited torso twist range, and the capability of putting in a 190 engine making it capable of 97/104.5 KPH, it can be effective if you give up on the idea of putting in a large AC and instead use it for Lasers and machine guns.

if the drop weight is put back at to 240 (it has usualy been 240) you are out of luck, as there are no Mech lighter than the 20 ton Locust, you would have to down size one of the other 3 to be able to make a valid dropdeck

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#10 SlimeLVL1

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I asked for guidance and the veterans never fall short in great length into detail about this game. Once again thank you.

This is probably my last post of this topic, as this was meant to be an introduction post. I just never expected such quick feed backs rich in knowledge that I had to show my appreciation every time in response.

I am a bit more weathered now when it comes to matches, both quick ones and the Faction ones. The difference is heaven and hell for me, where I could shine in Quick matches, does not bode the same for Faction Ones, I end up having to join a group of mixed mech warriors with different affiliations versus a group of Spartan precision, coordinated clans, all in formation under the same flag.

Needless to say faction matches shows how inexperienced I am still, and made me open my eyes to the steep mountain road ahead of me that I, hopefully, would overcome.

Saying all this I started doing changes in my Drop team, as what I thought would work for my play style, was less than desirable.

Raven 4x // King Crab // Catapult [might change] // Archer [This one still looks awesome]

I cannot stress how thankful I am to my fellow Mech Warriors, thank you again for reading this post.

Edited by SlimeLVL1, 07 January 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostSlimeLVL1, on 07 January 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Raven 4x // King Crab // Catapult [might change] // Archer [This one still looks awesome]

I cannot stress how thankful I am to my fellow Mech Warriors, thank you again for reading this post.

you are very welcome.

unfortunately that dropdeck will not work, your upper tonage limit is 265, the Raven weighs 35 tons, the Catapult is 65, the Archer is 70 and the King Crab is 100,
65+35= 100+70 = 170+100 =270 meaning you are 5 tons over, sorry

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#12 Legion173

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostSlimeLVL1, on 07 January 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

I asked for guidance and the veterans never fall short in great length into detail about this game. Once again thank you.

I usually avoid MMO games (WoW gave me PTSD) due to the player communities. I doubt you will find a better group than this one. Extremely welcoming from players that want you to have fun, and to improve......so they can kill you. seriously through, great community.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users