Which Mechs Do Ghost Bears Use A Lot And What Are The Pros Of Ghost Bear?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

#1 What mechs do Ghost Bears use the most/what mechs are they known for?
Sarna isn't much help because of the mechs listed here, all of them are made in the year 3059 or later except for Kodiak, Grizzly, Thresher, and Stooping Hawk. Stooping Hawk is the only Omnimech (and it's a Blood Spirit mech).
http://www.sarna.net...ear_BattleMechs
At least on the miltary part of Sarna's Ghost Bear description it mentions that they really love the Fire Moth, Viper, Mad Dog, and Executioner.
http://www.sarna.net...t_Bear#Military

More closely to MWO I just look at the Assignment tables in the Ultimate Mech Discussion thread.
http://mwomercs.com/...cussion-thread/

#2 What other "good" and/or unique features are there for the Ghost Bear that the other Factions do not have?

Don't have to read the rest of this, but it's just why I made the thread. (and I feel like talking)

I basically made this thread because I love the Mad Dog so much, but I also wanted to make sure I join a faction that I wouldn't regret joining later. I've only read through sarna's descriptions on the 4 invading clans. Not a fan of the Clan Wolf because they seem to be too stereotypically good (like Davions), and I'm not too much of a fan of Smoke Jaguars because they are too stereotypically evil (like Laio, but Laio is worse because they seem to be a bunch of underhanded cheaters), which kinda sucks because they designed and used the Mad Dog quite a bit and I do like their totem animal (Logo, not so much) + gives me an excuse to make my mech all black.
Which leaves Jade Falcon (which I loved as a kid when I played Mechwarrior 2), and Clan Ghost Bear.
Ghost Bear has my favorite mech the Mad Dog. I played Fire Moth a lot in Mechwarrior 2, and I like the Adder more than the Kit Fox (though I wish it had Jumpjets + ECM like the Kit Fox though) and supposedly Ghost Bear uses the Adder just slightly more than Jade Falcon.
Jade Falcon at a glance doesn't have anything huge standing out for them, but they do have mechs that I like that are a bit above average. Stormcrow, Hellbringer, Summoner (well at least Summoner felt like a nice blend of armor, mobility and firepower in MW2 when I was a kid). While I hated the Gargoyle in Mechwarrior 2 (too slow + no torso twist + lack of assault weapons), I might love it in MWO for it's speed.

There are tactics + other tiny tidbits of information that I like + dislike about each clan, I was just curious to see what other people liked about Clan Ghost Bear.

#2 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Clan Ghost Bear really focuses on family (the founders being husband and wife who chose death over separation) more than any other Clan, so it has a very close-knit group, both in lore and in game, which is nice. We also have the capability to change our minds and not get stuck in outdated ways, such as when we moved to the Sphere. We do not rush into situations, either, like some Clans (*cough*Jags*cough*).
'Mech-wise, we tend to emphasize speed over anything else (you will notice our favored 'Mechs tend to be some of the fastest for their size) Really, I would say we are known for our Mad Dogs, Fire Moths, and Kodiaks.

#3 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

For me Ghost bear always symbolised Family.

While it is true clans are seen as a warrior society, the idea behind Clan Ghost bear, which if we are honest prior to the invasion was some what lost, comes to the fore after the invasion becomes halted and we have a chance to re-evaluate our standings.

This to me means that all persons both Clan and IS can eventually live knowing that the Ghost bears will protect all of those in their Dominion.

#4 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

The most common omnimechs in the Ghost Bear touman at the start if the invasion were the Mist Lynx, Adder, Storm Crow, Timber Wolf, Gargolye and Warhawk.

#5 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostIronClaws, on 26 September 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

The most common omnimechs in the Ghost Bear touman at the start if the invasion were the Mist Lynx, Adder, Storm Crow, Timber Wolf, Gargolye and Warhawk.

As far as i know, Timberwolf and Gargoyle are much more common in the Wolf touman.

The common iconic Ghost Bear Omnies i know are Firemoth, Adder, Viper, Mad Dog (maybe Mist Lynx and Warhawk?) And the Kodiak, a BattleMech.

Edited by CyclonerM, 26 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#6 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

I have a hard time believing the Timber Wolf is a representation of Ghost Bear. It's pretty much the main clan mech for Clan Wolf is it not?

While the Gargoyle may have been a very capable, fast assault OmniMech, and the Naga may have been an excellent fire-support OmniMech, Clan Wolf (and indeed every other Clan) instantly realized the value of the Timber Wolf; thus, production rights to the Timber Wolf were jealously (and successfully) defended. Only through trade, gifts and battlefield salvage has the Timber Wolf entered the armies of other Clans. Until the invasion of the Inner Sphere, production of the Timber Wolf has been limited to a single facility on Strana Mechty.

According to Sarna it seems Clan Wolf was rather selfish with the blueprints of the Timber Wolf, so it was much harder for other clans to get them outside of trade/salvage.
But the Mad Dog is very similar to the Timber Wolf, and Sarna keeps bangin on about how Ghost Bear loves the Mad Dog. Maybe you remember it wrong due to the similarity between Mad Dog and Timby? Though you did mention at the start of the invasion..... So maybe Clan Wolf was like "If we are invading the Inner Sphere, we are going to do it right, TIMBER WOLVES FOR EVERYBODY!" :P

As for the Gargoyle, probably still a Clan Wolf thing since they were basically made to go along with the Timber Wolf. No mention of blueprint hiding though. For some reason according to the assignment tables in the ultimate mech discussion the Jade Falcon almost fields as many Gargoyles as Clan Wolf. Of course, according to the assigment table, Ghost Bear (and everyone else) uses Gargoyles more than everything (25 for GB), except the Executioner (33).

http://www.sarna.net...t_Bear#Military

A preference for speed and strength means they not only employ heavier-than-average BattleMechs, but also ones whose powerful weapons arrays can compromise their armor and heat sinks. In particular the Mad Dog and Executioner are highly favored, heavy-hitting platforms which feature a variety of ranged weapons (though since Tukayyid they tend more towards energy weapons) while the heavy Viper serves as their primary scout. A strong affinity for Battle Armor means the Ghost Bears field perhaps the largest contingent of Elementals of any Clan, using the nominally weak but ultra-fast Fire Moth as their primary carrier, and are the only ones with an entire Galaxy of these armored troopers.

Well this is part of the military section, and the ultimate mech discussion assigment table pretty much agrees with these 4 mechs being loved by Ghost Bear.

I do wonder about Fire Moth getting into the game, since the MASC situation seems pretty grim right now. Personally I'd be fine if I just got to use it without masc, since 162km is pretty nice, and you could put that tonnage somewhere else.
At least it gives me an excuse to use the Adder since I prefer that to the Kit Fox (But ECM + Jumpjets on Kit Fox, gives it so much friggin utility).
Looking forward to seeing the Viper in the game whenever it does get announced.
Executioner runs into the MASC problem there, so I'm worried about that.
I'm just hoping they pull a Command Console thing and get the mechs in, and just not have the MASC do anything right away.

The Kodiak is a fast Assault 'Mech designed by Clan Ghost Bear as a second-line counterpart to the Gladiator. Though not taken to the same extreme as other Clan Totem 'Mechs, the Kodiak does epitomize the Ghost Bears' method of warfare, combining an impressive defensive platform with surprising amounts of speed and firepower.

I do wonder if the Kodiak will ever get in though, people keep saying it's a battlemech thus disqualifies it for some reason (Too lazy to see if there's a reason why it couldn't be added to MWO at the moment though).
A lot of the bear named mechs seem to have a Medium/large laser and SRM/LRM combo (with some of the heaviest with a gauss rifle). Though, only Kodiak has the only chance of getting in.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostKeeshu, on 26 September 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I do wonder if the Kodiak will ever get in though, people keep saying it's a battlemech thus disqualifies it for some reason (Too lazy to see if there's a reason why it couldn't be added to MWO at the moment though).
A lot of the bear named mechs seem to have a Medium/large laser and SRM/LRM combo (with some of the heaviest with a gauss rifle). Though, only Kodiak has the only chance of getting in.

It is a Battlemech, rather than an Omnimech like the Clan machines we have.

Since the Omni limitations are part of the balance between Clan and IS - it is rather unlikely that they would give us a Clan mech with IS levels of customize-ability.

#8 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 26 September 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

It is a Battlemech, rather than an Omnimech like the Clan machines we have.

Since the Omni limitations are part of the balance between Clan and IS - it is rather unlikely that they would give us a Clan mech with IS levels of customize-ability.

Is there anything stopping them from turning the Kodiak into an Omni-mech? Afterall cost and the time to customize a mech were pretty much the main difference which does not effect the game balance in MWO. So I don't really see why the Kodiak wouldn't be able to get in the game because of that unless I'm missing something.

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

Probably the same thing that keeps them using cannon variants only (exception: Heroes)

#10 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

1.) Which 'Mechs do Ghost Bears use a lot?

Bad ones. Except for the Viper. I still want that thing. 5E/1M kicks the crap out of the Ice Ferret.

2.) What are the pros of Clan Ghost Bear?

They're not Jump Turkeys. Realistically all the pros they need :P

(Ghost Bears, as a faction, tend towards very strong bonds of loyalty and camaraderie, with a cohesive culture in which all members of the Clan, not just warriors, are valued for their contribution to the whole and considered to be kin. As such, Ghost Bear society is very solid and stable, enduring hardships that would shatter a less fundamentally well-balanced society. This is balanced out by rather stiff-necked traditionalism; Ghost Bears are slow to make decisions and prefer periods of deliberation rather than decisive action, and are slow to adapt to changes in technology or doctrine.

They're also not Jump Turkeys, which is still all the pro they need :P)

#11 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

It may be common in our touman but more common in another. We were not saying it is OUR mech, simply that we like to use it. Also clan battlemechs are a way off because they are "second line" and were not seen in the innersphere for some years.

And all of this lore talk is fine and great, but the point you are missing is us as a unit, not the lore behind it.
CGBI is a very well established and stable unit. While it may take longer for us to reach decisions, that ensures that they are not hasty and well thought out (in most all cases). This is accomplished by our Council, we have several high ranking officers that make the decisions. not one "Kahn" or single leader by any title, meaning every action by the clan is deliberate, much like lore.
We do not suffer political in-fighting, very rarely is there much drama to speak of, and we are a very tight nit group. If you want a gaming family, come and check us out at ghost-bear-command.com

Edited by Lucky Moniker, 26 September 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#12 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

View Post101011, on 26 September 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Clan Ghost Bear really focuses on family (the founders being husband and wife who chose death over separation) more than any other Clan, so it has a very close-knit group, both in lore and in game, which is nice. We also have the capability to change our minds and not get stuck in outdated ways, such as when we moved to the Sphere. We do not rush into situations, either, like some Clans (*cough*Jags*cough*).
'Mech-wise, we tend to emphasize speed over anything else (you will notice our favored 'Mechs tend to be some of the fastest for their size) Really, I would say we are known for our Mad Dogs, Fire Moths, and Kodiaks.

All reasons Ghost Bear is one of my favorite Clans.

#13 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 26 September 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

As far as i know, Timberwolf and Gargoyle are much more common in the Wolf touman.

The common iconic Ghost Bear Omnies i know are Firemoth, Adder, Viper, Mad Dog (maybe Mist Lynx and Warhawk?) And the Kodiak, a BattleMech.

I should have prefaced that as being most common which are available or soon to be available in MWO. The Kingfisher and Executioner are common as well, but may never be in MWO. And yeah, I overlooked the Mad Dog, that one is more common than the Timber Wolf.

Edited by IronClaws, 29 September 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#14 Alaric Howard

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

:DTimer Wolves for everyone!

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

Pros of CGB? Best color scheme in the setting! :)

#16 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostAlaric Howard, on 07 October 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

:DTimer Wolves for everyone!

But Ghost Bear does not use really use Timber Wolves...

#17 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

View Post101011, on 08 October 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

But Ghost Bear does not use really use Timber Wolves...

You can try to salvage a few :P

#18 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

Myst Linx
Adder
Hellbringer
Mad Dog
Kodiak (never gonna be in MW: O any time soon)
Grizzly (only had 2 variants and 2nd was very late, never MW: O)
Bear Cub (never gonna be in MW: O)
Executioner (It had masc, not in MW:O yet)
Fire Moth (masc ^)
Ursus

(think of it like this, if you see any mech with a bear like theme or name, it's most likely CGB)

Ghost Bear did use some timber wolves but not a lot, Storm Crows a similar story.
In fact Ghost Bear had more King Crabs and Crabs then the Storm Crow or Timber Wolf...
They also had a few Black Knights in decent condition that rivals the numbers a few IS Houses had.

Clan Ghost Bear is famous for being liked by nearly every clan, They had allies with nearly all clans at least once but are close to Clan Snow Raven for a long time. They also were good with the (remaining) FRR and eventually merged with them.
CGB due to this open friendliness and wait-and-see attitude they often got gifted mechs (isorla ) and stuff. Hence how they got quite a few Timber Wolves, and a few non CGB rare mechs like stone rhino and Dire wolf.

In general. The Clan Ghost Bear normally like...

Speed, typically the fastest mecsh of the weight class.
And firepower. Good example being the Kodiak, which had pretty mean LRM boat variants (Is it config or variant? it isn't an omni mech...)... a variant had 2 C LBX 20's before with a few er medium lasers used between them and the snow ravens.

They also like using ambush tactics and such. As seen in the Ghost Bear Legion intro for MW:2 where it ambushes from under the snow to ambush a Smoke jaguar mad dog.

I think other people here already fully explained the family part of this clan.

I would be in a CGB group in MW: O but sadly it was not meant to be.

#19 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

I honestly feel like the OP is looking at things.. kind of oddly, if Clan Wolf is too much pure good guy. Clan wolf is constantly plotting against other clans and changing sides. This is why clan wolf has a reputation among the clans for being honorless dogs. (Okay.. so some of the less honorable clans might simply consider Wolf to be "wise", "Sly", and "innovative"). For the part of Jade Falcon, they aren't evil, but they are extremely honor-bound and proud to a fault. Still, we're primarily here to talk about Ghostbear.

If anything, Ghostbear's strength is that they are even more "goodguy" than Wolf, they just aren't usually a marry-sue main protagonist sort of clan. Similar to Jade Falcon, Ghostbear is a very honorable clan, but family and fidelity, not honor, is their highest priority. Perhaps the biggest advantage that Ghostbear had during the invasion was that they looked at the inner sphere as being their new home. They weren't invading, they were moving in. While Ghostbear, like all clans, had made a certain bid, they were "Unnecessarily" delayed because they literally packed up everything they thought they would need to stay in the inner-sphere for the long haul. This led t Ghostbear being better prepared for the unexpected prolonged engagement than any other clan except Wolf. Ghostbear performed better during the invasion than anyone (except themselves) expected, despite the fact they were working in corridor with enemy clans that attacked Ghostbear's planets. Another reson for Ghostbear's success was the gruesome tactics used by the defenders of heir planets, who seemed unconcerned about the civilian populations of their planets. (FRR was making heavy use of mercenary and pirate units, who were sometimes heartless and often thoughtless). Ghostbear was resolved and proved to be more compassionate to the people than the inner-sphere was.

In combat, Ghostbear is quick and hard-hitting, but their hidden strength is their dedication to one another, which leads to resilience that simply isn't seen in other clans.

Edited by Asheron Storm, 11 October 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#20 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

Looking at them oddly might just be because of lack of information. Afterall the only real information I have about the factions is the sarna descriptions, and MWO's descriptions, along with some things that people have said. MWO's descriptions don't help at all though due to them being literally a single paragraph.
I feel like some of the books may not even help because i would assume it's by the perspective of the protagonist of whatever book it is about, and even then it's probably about a specific set of events that maybe the exception to everything else.
I just really have no clue how I'm supposed to get even a generalized sense of what each faction is like.

I'm picking Ghost Bear for now, but I still don't feel comfortable picking it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users