- - - - -

At What Point Do You Admit You're Not A Mechwarrior?

86 replies to this topic

#81 Leartes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:57 AM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 08 January 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

r_ssao = 0
r_ssdo = 0
e_TerrainAo = 0
sys_PakPriority = 0
sys_pakValidateFileHash = 0
gp_default_cockpit_light= 1
r_glow = 0

What do all these things do? Since my pc died I'm sitting on a crap rig until I get a new one ...

#82 Teslar Kain

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

As it looks like other members are giving good advice on system specs and tactics I can only add that you should not be in any hurry to rise in tier. Tier 3 is NOT more enjoyable than tier 5-4, in my experience.

#83 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

View PostLeartes, on 11 January 2016 - 01:57 AM, said:

What do all these things do? Since my pc died I'm sitting on a crap rig until I get a new one ...

A lot of the Attribute.xml changes are not longer needed as many things that used to be only editable through the file are now editable in the GUI, but basically, set you graphics settings in game to low, turn off damage glow (bigger than I realized for a while), and set your resolution in game down some.

My machine is a laptop that is great for work (decent CPU and RAM), but crappy for games (thank you integrated video). Turning off damage glow and dropping my resolution from 1366x to 1280x grabbed me on average 7-8 FPS better in MWO (even after dropping to low settings, turning off cockpit monitors/cockpit glass) without really being nearly as noticeable as i thought it was going to be.

#84 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 06 January 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

No, I don't plan to quit playing, but I am thinking about seeing just how low I can get my PSR to drop.

4 months of playing daily (currently 660 matches) and I am still very firmly in Tier 5. 48 kills, 612 deaths and a 0.08 rating and always seeing my rating drop after each mission.

At what point do you abandon an account and create a new one to start over now that you know what you are doing? Or is there hope of ever seeing Tier 4?

This game is just very complicated. IMO, MWO is like a game of chess that is constantly moving, where the ability of each pieces keep changing. It requires a combo of patience and hustle play. It also require players to do some homework, some analysis, whether off or on the field. But then, over analysis could also lead to paralysis. Especially when in game. Despite having all the intel from scouts, it really boils down to making decisions with your gut. PGI either intentionally, or unintentionally created a monster of a game.

Comms on its own, is complicated, because you're talking to human beings. You can't just yell "I'm pushing E5, deal with it". Consider encouragement, motivation, confidence. Yes, you did your homework, and have possibly the best plan for your team's situation... but how do you SELL it to the other 11 members/strangers on your team?

I'd say keep going, keep observing, learning, gather those experience. And one day, it will just click. You'll see patterns, you'll be able to connect the dots, predict enemy movements etc...You just need to first build up that knowledge base. Its not just good reflexes/good aim.

edit: Everyone can be a mechwarrior, but you need to know your role as a mechwarrior. For example, my role is to tank, and transport my team from point A to point B by being a ECM, bullet sponge and I think I can do that very well. But, if you ask me to bring a sniper... expect nothing from me, I'm just bad at long range.

Edited by purplewasabi, 11 January 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#85 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostChados, on 08 January 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

LOL, I've raised my PSR from .17 to .6 and I'm still firmly in the Underhive. Not to despair. We got cookies. And Bacon.

Bacon cookies.

Well that is certainly a reason to stay.....

#86 PostalPatriot

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

View PostTeslar Kain, on 11 January 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

As it looks like other members are giving good advice on system specs and tactics I can only add that you should not be in any hurry to rise in tier. Tier 3 is NOT more enjoyable than tier 5-4, in my experience.

people just yell more :D

#87 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostChados, on 08 January 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

LOL, I've raised my PSR from .17 to .6 and I'm still firmly in the Underhive. Not to despair. We got cookies. And Bacon.

Bacon cookies.

...WAIT... there are bacon cookies...!?!?!?! :)

Edited by Morggo, 15 January 2016 - 11:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users