- - - - -

At What Point Do You Admit You're Not A Mechwarrior?

86 replies to this topic

#41 Wild_Alaskan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 159 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 07 January 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

Framerate today seems to be 9-14 fps.

I am avoiding assaults...just attract fire, can't turn fast enough to deal with light swarms

That framerate is likely your #1 problem. I also used to play on a computer that could only handle the game at 12-15, with all the video settings on low. When I got a (slightly) better computer, my scores jumped significantly.

Everyone has their own individual playstyle, but don't write off assaults entirely. Some of them are actually quite speedy (well, relatively anyway), and there really isn't ANY single mech in the game that can deal with a true light swarm.

#42 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

Your FPS is too low, and that is why you have trouble hitting anything. Basically the mech you are shooting at has already moved from the the server perspective to another location. If you can post your computer build information (CPU, memory, graphics card), there are people on the forums that can at least help optimize the experience for your computer. For the time being set everything to low or off and see how much that gets you.

edit: beaten to the punch. there's a free program called Belarc Advisor that will help with the pc info if you need it

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Edited by bayoucowboy, 07 January 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#43 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

pings are usually 20-80

Blackjack - 2 AC5, 4 med lasers
Dragon - AC5, 3 med lasers, 1 srm6 -- sometiwmes add a ppc for the ac5
Jagermech - 2 AC2, 2AC5, 2 med lasers
Raven - ecm, narc, 2 med lasers, 2 srm6 -- also swap in large lasers or ER laser or ppc
Griffen - 4 med lasers, lrm10
Cataphract - 3 AC5, 2 med lasers

I've mixed and swapped weapons so many times on those mechs trying to see what ranges or mixes work best for me. Or else trying to adjust for whatever builds seem to be killing me that particular day. (Mech destroyed just out of the spawn without even seeing the gates? Need more ER cause short range is useless.)

I have the most kills in my Raven - sniper platform
I am avoiding assaults...just attract fire, can't turn fast enough to deal with light swarms

I think I am too aggressive...I tend to end up on the flanks and isolated. Usually one of the first to die, sometimes the last lone player.

1. Like plp said FPS is your problem. Pushing f9 button shows FPS, if it's really that low, lower resolution, disable AA and post effects.You do training maps and see how it affects your FPS.

2. I would staying away from CW for now, until you have soild drop deck (4 good mechs, mastered them and etc.), you might drop in as 12th man on group of plp who are looking for last player, then it might be more fun.

3. You need three different variants from same Mech Chassis (raven, hunchie etc.) to master them. First Basic skils, then Elite, it's very important. You can read about it in forum. So you either have to sell some of your mechs you don't like or buy more mechbays, so you can get 3 Ravens for example. You can read in metamechs.com about which variants are better than others, also look at quirks.

4. Play more with Trial mechs and see which weight class and weapons you like better.

#44 Irishtoker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 102 posts
  • LocationIn a hole at the bottom of the Nexus.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

If not already mentioned, spectating is a great way to get a feel for the game, different mechs, and builds. I learn a lot cycling through the POV of my Teammates.

In a match where I am of the first to die...I accept that there are things to learn and observe with an open mind.

#45 MattNovaCat

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostIrishtoker, on 07 January 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

If not already mentioned, spectating is a great way to get a feel for the game, different mechs, and builds. I learn a lot cycling through the POV of my Teammates.

In a match where I am of the first to die...I accept that there are things to learn and observe with an open mind.

I usually die in less time than it takes for the match to load so I spectate a lot.

I don't speak computer but does this info help?

4 GB 64 bit operating
amd a4-6212 apu
radon r3 grpahics 1.80 ghz

So yay it's not me that sucks, it's the computer I bought last summer? (Never planning to play any video games cause the obsessed WOWer friends I have just put me right off the entire concept.) Then I found MWO...and lack any one local to play either of the minis games so here I am.

#46 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 06 January 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

4 months of playing daily (currently 660 matches) and I am still very firmly in Tier 5. 48 kills, 612 deaths and a 0.08 rating and always seeing my rating drop after each mission.

well first off, if you are having fun.. which you must be if you played 600+ matches, who cares! Posted Image It's a game, and having fun is what you need to worry about. Especially in PUG's. I know i can take them to seriously at times, as do others, but really we need to remind ourselves why we are playing from time to time.

Second.. The best way anyone can help you.. Have you heard of http://www.fraps.com/ ? Grab this.. Record some matches, Upload them to a website.. Perhaps youtube, and let people give you advice. With out seeing how you play, and why you die, giving advice is hard. Though i swear if you watches my last 10 games, or stretches you would think i was clueless.. we all have bad games.. But there must be something you are not doing right.

One last thing.. Don't be to aggressive, that is one of my issues, there is such a fine line of pushing to early, as to pushing to late.. both can be a recipe for disaster.

View PostIrishtoker, on 07 January 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Really this is the best advice, beyond recording to see what you are really doing.. Watch people that are grabbing kills. If they are getting a bunch, they often know how to play well.

Edited by JC Daxion, 07 January 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#47 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

I think that I had a KDR of 0.07, when the game just clicked. That was after playing the game for 5 months. Then again I was able to get 10 FPS more out of the computer then, so I was not playing at 4 FPS. It rose to .4 or so then the stat reset.

I went down to .8 then back up over 1. Now since the early February 2015 patch my mechs have mech Parkinson, so I am down to .8 but stable.

Even with all that I can still get on leader boards playing with less than 15 fps.

Then the most important thing, are you having fun. KDR, W/L rate who cares.

#48 Irishtoker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 07 January 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

I usually die in less time than it takes for the match to load so I spectate a lot.

4 GB 64 bit operating
amd a4-6212 apu

So yay it's not me that sucks, it's the computer I bought last summer? (Never planning to play any video games cause the obsessed WOWer friends I have just put me right off the entire concept.) Then I found MWO...and lack any one local to play either of the minis games so here I am.

Turn all the graphics settings down, if you havent already...otherwise it is in the Mech Gods hand actuators.

#49 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Cra,p I read a bit more.

Come over to the LRM boat side. it does not bite, but allows us low frame rate players to have a way to do some consistent damage.

I play at different frame rates per the different maps. Bog and mining collective flat out just suck and the new forest colony is not much better. Alpine some times gives me over 14 fps and that is the best map.

LRM boats are not just jump in and do 1000 damage or even damage equal to half the number of LRMs that you carry. I have done 756 damage in an oxide with only 720 LRM in it, but I had one nice arty strike on two direwolves.

Their are tricks to using LRMs good and other things that gets you accused of hacking when you excel at LRMs. One is firing and hitting people under decks or in tunnels, make the angle of decent steeper (to hit them behind a building) and curving LRMs around the side of a building.

What does running LRMs do, it allows for you to sit back and watch, building up your situational awareness. That is important to living longer to hit more. Then after getting decent at LRMs get into AC's, PPC's, Gauss and lasers. Why learn other weapon systems, well what you can do unto others, others can do unto you. It just makes you a better player.

One mistake I made was getting 3 ravens and an atlas DDC for my first 4 mechs. Then I got the firebrand and Jagermech A at the same time. Why, 6 SPL's with MG's is fun to run, but the Jagermech A is a LRM beast and is my favorite mech to run next to the 3M or 2N griffins,7M treb and the 4J hunchbacks.

One thing to think about I run the one LRM Locust with one ML, 2 LRM 5's with two tons of ammo. So 360 missiles. For some reason I can get over 400 damage quite a bit, just by pecking with the one ML so much.

Remember the LRM boat that does 1000 damage with only 10 assists and no kills most damage dealt helps the team, but one with 800 damage with 2 or 3 kills one or two solo kills, 3 or 4 kills most damage dealt and 3 assists is very dangerous. He will select a mech and will kill it. This is excluding those Locust kills that you get with one volley of missiles. This is a bad habit for me, but fun to fire one volley and watch just to see if it dies.

If you are thinking that I am a great at this game, look at my tier, it just changed with the last match I played to tier 4 from tier 5. Believe me doing 600+ or even 1000 damage with the loss just sucks, only to do 40 damage on a win. Then again I do not play every day like I use too.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 07 January 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#50 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 07 January 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

4 GB 64 bit operating
amd a4-6212 apu

Not sure we're ready to blame the computer just yet, but maybe. As stated above, turn down those graphics settings in game, and kill any background processes that aren't necessary to the OS or the game. And if you have anything downloading/streaming on another household device, cut it out while playing MWO.

But again, I recommend some time in the Academy making sure your aim is on. Record that (Fraps, Overwolf, etc.) and slap it on YouTube, then pitch us a link. Let's start simple.

#51 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

As to computer setting and such...

I know nothing of performance settings etc. Say what you will about PGI and the devs, but one thing they do well is help with this sort of thing. When I first started playing on my (still being used) 7 year old lap top, I had lots of problems. I sent in a "please help" request to tech support. Within a day they had me send them a bunch of info and screen shots of things (ping, etc.) and then sent me screens to cut and past into certain files that seems to have optimized my system for the game. Its been fine ever since. technical@mwomercs.com

#52 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

As mentioned previously spectating is a great way to learn some stuff. see how other players deal with situations, the loadouts they use, how they use or don't use terrain etc etc. I still spectate after i die cause i know there are things i need to improve even after a long time playing.
As for the computer, as mentioned turn your setting down, log into a match and hit "F9" in the top left corner you should see some info pop up. This includes map co ordinates and a frames per second (fps) i would pay attention to your fps during a couple drops to see where it is at.

#53 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 06 January 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

No, I don't plan to quit playing, but I am thinking about seeing just how low I can get my PSR to drop.

4 months of playing daily (currently 660 matches) and I am still very firmly in Tier 5. 48 kills, 612 deaths and a 0.08 rating and always seeing my rating drop after each mission.

At what point do you abandon an account and create a new one to start over now that you know what you are doing? Or is there hope of ever seeing Tier 4?

Hm, that's like 12-13 deaths for every kill. Now, if you search the forums you’ll find me stating that K/D ratio alone means nothing, but to be honest this is rather low in T5, especially if you get low avg dmg and little points for other tasks as well.

Now, should you quit? No. Should you make a new account? No. But I think we should be honest enough to say you should reconsider how you play. If you still are on the same ratio as the stats describes. Obviously, you need to change something; however, it’s hard to say what as I don’t know how you play.

Your top 300 dmg matches are not bad. I see several ppl running below 300 in T2 as well. It’s the 0 dmg matches you need to work on. A while ago LRM could be an ok starting point for players struggling like you do, I don’t know how T5 is, but at T2 being successful as an LRM players is actually rather hard in most matches. If you like LRMing search LRM carrying on these forums or youtube. You should find a ok LRM walktrough that should work for higher tiers as well. If you don’t do well with them, ditch them.

If you die with 0 damage you are moving wrong, or not moving at all. Try not to take point or end up at the flanks. Move with the team, but not behind them. Move up to the firing line, place some shots and fall back, cool down and go again. You need to be mobile but not rush or wander off. Rushing is very often a bad move. If you move in, allways think about where you’d like to break off and move out if you need to. Often turning around keeping speed is just as good as stopping and going backwards. Depends on the situation and mech. Notice what parts of your mech gets damage and twist when receiving damage to spread. But know what side you like the most and loose the other side first. Don’t keep amo for right side weapons on the left side if possible.

What mechs are you using, weapons? How do you play? Describe honestly how you like to play? What role do you think you fit in best. I’d try mastering one role and one chassis first.

If your main issues is actually hiting anything, take a fast light to the training grounds. Runn top speed turn and twist and fire at targets to practise. If you have problems hitting, what mouse do you have? Do it have adjustable settings?

I have the sensitivity slider all the way down in the game, and increase it on the mouse software. For me this gives much less pixel jumping. I have 4 settings I shift trough depending on the situation and mech, but usually play more with two of them.

We are here to help, so just keep the discussion going untill you get it turned around.

#54 Azzgaroth

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

pings are usually 20-80

Blackjack - 2 AC5, 4 med lasers
Dragon - AC5, 3 med lasers, 1 srm6 -- sometiwmes add a ppc for the ac5
Jagermech - 2 AC2, 2AC5, 2 med lasers
Raven - ecm, narc, 2 med lasers, 2 srm6 -- also swap in large lasers or ER laser or ppc
Griffen - 4 med lasers, lrm10
Cataphract - 3 AC5, 2 med lasers

I've mixed and swapped weapons so many times on those mechs trying to see what ranges or mixes work best for me. Or else trying to adjust for whatever builds seem to be killing me that particular day. (Mech destroyed just out of the spawn without even seeing the gates? Need more ER cause short range is useless.)

I have the most kills in my Raven - sniper platform

I think I am too aggressive...I tend to end up on the flanks and isolated. Usually one of the first to die, sometimes the last lone player.

Your framerate dude... WAY too low. Reduce tour graphic setting ans try to get at very least 30fps. You wont play the same game. You will enjoy it!

#55 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Why does your ping vary so much?
Based on my location at my house it's 25ms.
Based on my gf's apartment it's 59ms.
Your ping shouldn't vary too much unless you have something going on with your router or your ISP.
<100ms won't make too much of a difference as far as landing your shots.

Your frame rates are terrible. This game uses a lot of your main CPU and you need to boost your ram. 4GB is way too low, need at least 8GB. You can buy 16GB at NewEgg or TigerDirect for about $59. Check your system, figure out what kind of Ram your system can take and select the one with the highest clock speed. That will give you the min. 30 FPS that you need for this game.

Your builds are meh but you will land more shots once you upgrade your system. Post after your RAM upgrade and let us know if your luck changes, we can help you out with more noob friendly builds which mostly consists of lasers. Lasers are easy, figuring out how to keep good range, when to fire an alpha or use lasers sparingly is the hard part.

I was getting about 300-400 damage in California, in a hotel with a 5 year old laptop with about 30 FPS and 120ms ping in a hunchback so it's definitely playable, if you get around those numbers.

Edited by Smoked, 07 January 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#56 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

OK.. since you had lot of good advise.. I give just one (OK, it's from a low skilled, LRM-Boater.. on 12-20 FPS... neverless.. it can help..)..

If you think, you dying too fast.. (FYI... my best match time was 1:38 in the first months..)...that means for me, that you are too far ahead, as you should be... So, be a gentleman.. and let your teammates in front of you.. and take your time and try to watch the movements of the battle.. and attack just, when your teammates do.. (and can take a part of the enemys fire from you)..

So in short.. use your team as a shield, till you can figure out, what can you do for your team in that situation.. Yee... It's not heroic.. but if you die fast... you just help the Red's.. And if you think, you know, what way you can help the most to your team.. Do it!.. And do your best.

Not everyone become a Super-Ninja-Elite-Mechwarrior.. but every one can help the team his/her own way.. So, don't die, take your time and watch first!

#57 MattNovaCat

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

View PostSerpentbane, on 07 January 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Now, should you quit? No. Should you make a new account? No. But I think we should be honest enough to say you should reconsider how you play. If you still are on the same ratio as the stats describes. Obviously, you need to change something; however, it’s hard to say what as I don’t know how you play.

Your top 300 dmg matches are not bad. I see several ppl running below 300 in T2 as well. It’s the 0 dmg matches you need to work on. A while ago LRM could be an ok starting point for players struggling like you do, I don’t know how T5 is, but at T2 being successful as an LRM players is actually rather hard in most matches. If you like LRMing search LRM carrying on these forums or youtube. You should find a ok LRM walktrough that should work for higher tiers as well. If you don’t do well with them, ditch them.

If you die with 0 damage you are moving wrong, or not moving at all. Try not to take point or end up at the flanks. Move with the team, but not behind them. Move up to the firing line, place some shots and fall back, cool down and go again. You need to be mobile but not rush or wander off. Rushing is very often a bad move. If you move in, allways think about where you’d like to break off and move out if you need to. Often turning around keeping speed is just as good as stopping and going backwards. Depends on the situation and mech. Notice what parts of your mech gets damage and twist when receiving damage to spread. But know what side you like the most and loose the other side first. Don’t keep amo for right side weapons on the left side if possible.

What mechs are you using, weapons? How do you play? Describe honestly how you like to play? What role do you think you fit in best. I’d try mastering one role and one chassis first.

If your main issues is actually hiting anything, take a fast light to the training grounds. Runn top speed turn and twist and fire at targets to practise. If you have problems hitting, what mouse do you have? Do it have adjustable settings?

I have the sensitivity slider all the way down in the game, and increase it on the mouse software. For me this gives much less pixel jumping. I have 4 settings I shift trough depending on the situation and mech, but usually play more with two of them.

We are here to help, so just keep the discussion going untill you get it turned around.

No plans to quit, but initially wondered if my first few months are poor enough that the account is tainted and I should start over. Right now I am rather amused watching the bar on PSR drop from the middle to the N in pilot info (it was over the O when I started this thread)

PING likely sucks cause 10 households use the same cable box connection. We lose internet radio streaming all the time.

I changed settings and senativity to low and FPS is still 15 on average

#58 Irishtoker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 07 January 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

No plans to quit, but initially wondered if my first few months are poor enough that the account is tainted and I should start over. Right now I am rather amused watching the bar on PSR drop from the middle to the N in pilot info (it was over the O when I started this thread)

PING likely sucks cause 10 households use the same cable box connection. We lose internet radio streaming all the time.

I changed settings and senativity to low and FPS is still 15 on average

That says it all.

#59 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

Low FPS and variable ping .... definitely recommend LRM/Streaks as your primary weapons.

#60 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

Ok... how about instead of KDR.... How much damge to you run? How many assits??? that is a much better way of judging..

I play lights often.. i fet 200-300, and 2-4 kills... I've also had under 100 games with 4-6 kills.. granted.. the 600-800 games with 4-8 kills are golden, but they are rare... I've only had 8 kills 2 times... But had 2-4 most damage kills more times than i can count. Again, i am hardly the best player... But i am a good casual. maybe you make a lot of mistakes i did and still do... PUsh way to soon. Perhaps you need to join a guild/team/group... perhaps your play style is something suited to that, vrse the PUG way of life..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users