- - - - -

At What Point Do You Admit You're Not A Mechwarrior?

86 replies to this topic

#21 MattNovaCat

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 06 January 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

1: are you having fun? If so nothing else matters

2: quality of competetion is not noticibly different at T4.

3: link up with some more experienced players

#1 for sure...even when getting spawncamped in CW. Ok, maybe not at that moment.

I do #3...and then after match they have 500+ damage and I have 12 or maybe 100 on a good day. I feel utterly inadequate. Or get booted from the group either without comment or with a "come back when you can hit 500" or "Do us a favour and never drop with us again."

#22 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

as long as it is fun

2 plus years here

5600 or so games all pug. some group play but mostly just blind drops

w/l at .88

k/d at .45 yes i die a lot. tend to be a bit of a biserker and over extend myself in a push.

avg dam 198 but have all locusts mastered

oh did i mention i pokemech and jump from build to build as the mood strikes me. also i play with a joystick on a toaster. i would post my system specs but the laughter would break the internet.

it is a game it is about your fun. tier 5 is not the end of the world if you have fun

Edited by loopala, 06 January 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#23 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

Usually...

1) Lower mouse sensitivity
2) User lasers (get 40-50 alpha)
3) Learn peek and shoot (if you want to know how, watch Sidestrafe gameplay videos. He does peek & shoot + reposition/retreat very well).

When you're good enough to farm baby seals with your club (which should be good up until T3ish) then you are Mechwarrior. Posted Image

#24 TechChris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Midwest, I think??? Dang "Drinkin Man's" Shooter bad for my memory! ^_^

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

#1 for sure...even when getting spawncamped in CW. Ok, maybe not at that moment.

I do #3...and then after match they have 500+ damage and I have 12 or maybe 100 on a good day. I feel utterly inadequate. Or get booted from the group either without comment or with a "come back when you can hit 500" or "Do us a favour and never drop with us again."

Well, sadly...that's how some these LEET players are.....sad but true!
you have my condolences.
Least ya having fun....ironically ya probably having more fun then those jerks that boot ya! Posted Image

Anyhow.....stay with it man. You can find other people (I'd offer myself, but group queue seems to average tiers/players.....n last I tried to help someone it was like throwing em to the wolves)
Plus you can only get better with more practice!

POWER TO THE LOWER TIERS....may they rise up to feel the pain of the higher tiers!
Posted Image

#25 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

I experience something similar, was asking myself "am I light/medium/heavy/assault mechwarrior".

After mastering 4 light chassis but still cannot get much enjoyment out from them, I decided I am not a Light Mechs pilot.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:15 AM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 06 January 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

I am such an inept player, i just finished a match where a Dire Wolf, Catapult, and Ebon Jaguar ignored me to chase a Wolfhound through half of River City. Turned and walked away as I fired at them. :S now to turn this to my advantage.

Posted Image

That's called Squirrelling, and its an infestation of a lot of matches. One player in a fast light (implied as an "easy kill" because "fragile"), will draw a lot of enemies into a chase. Doesn't matter how good or bad other players are, once this happens about half the enemy team will start chasing because everyone wants that easy kill to inflate their kdr (they don't seem to realize "match score", which is only partly influenced by kills, is what they need to bring their tier up. They need a lot more damage than kills anyway, so this whole process is pretty stupid).

Anyway. Once the team has gone "Squirrelling", there's almost no hope for that team to win. Start going for legs and once their legs are gone, shred them via rear center torso. Basically shoot them in the butt; literally. Rear-side of pelvis (they can't "twist" to protect it). Enjoy this easy method to rack up craploads of kills. :)

#27 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostMattNovaCat, on 06 January 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

No, I don't plan to quit playing, but I am thinking about seeing just how low I can get my PSR to drop.

4 months of playing daily (currently 660 matches) and I am still very firmly in Tier 5. 48 kills, 612 deaths and a 0.08 rating and always seeing my rating drop after each mission.

At what point do you abandon an account and create a new one to start over now that you know what you are doing? Or is there hope of ever seeing Tier 4?

Never.

You strive to become a better pilot. The hard part is over for you, you have realized your limits and want to get better.

Everything is relatively easy now. What you need to do to attain your goal of being a better pilot is to seek out other's in your Faction and ask for help. Get Teamspeak. Get into your Faction TS hub and politely ask anyone there for some assistance and/or guidance.

I bet you will have more people volunteer to help you then you have time for.

Listen to what they tell you. ASK QUESTIONS!

Ask for help and you WILL get it.

#28 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:57 AM

OK. I have to ask: what's your Frames per second count?

Edited by IraqiWalker, 07 January 2016 - 04:59 AM.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:16 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 07 January 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

OK. I have to ask: what's your Frames per second count?

Use F9 to get this information.

#30 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:28 AM

Also have you mastered one chassis or working on it (skill wise). Or just using dfferent mechs.

Level up one chassis with 3 mechs and only then use other mechs. Unlocked skills give very notable bonuses.

#31 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,001 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:32 AM

No, I don't plan to quit playing, but I am thinking about seeing just how low I can get my PSR to drop.

4 months of playing daily (currently 660 matches) and I am still very firmly in Tier 5. 48 kills, 612 deaths and a 0.08 rating and always seeing my rating drop after each mission.

At what point do you abandon an account and create a new one to start over now that you know what you are doing? Or is there hope of ever seeing Tier 4?

I started out the same way I died over 1300 times in my Jager

I am just trying to hold out for single player

#32 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:35 AM

To me the key thing in playing well is: positioning. This is literally the first, second and third most important thing. Builds are IMO emphasized way too much, any halfway decent build is good enough for way above Tier 5 and probably even for the low end of Tier 1. Twitch reflexes aren't IMO needed at all for MWO, at least not unless you play striker light mechs. If you have frequent games with zero or sub-100 damage, I'd definitely prioritize positioning.

Back when I started, I found it extremely helpful to play something like a medium (maybe a fat light or a mobile heavy), and focus my play style on supporting the heaviest mechs in my team. I'd work religiously on how to follow them, but without getting in their way (be close but in an inobtrusive way), how to focus fire with them, and how to watch their backs.

A play style like this can be very useful both your team, and for keeping yourself safe. First, short of hiding under a rock, there's literally no safer place to be than next to a big mech (aka. priority target) in a small mech (non-priorioty target). Second, doing what you do naturally leads to both focus fire and you helping keep the biggest guns in your team alive -- both essential in winning games.

I second the suggestion of watching Sidestrafe's videos -- he seems to favour a playstyle similar to what I describe above, and he does it quite well.

The above is just what's worked well for me, I'm sure there are other valid approaches.

#33 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

It took me several weeks to get my first kill. I was terrible for a long time.

<oldmanvoice>
But back in my day there was no stinking ELO or PSR. All players got lumped into the same queue, and we liked it!
</oldmanvoice>

One has to ask oneself, why is PSR important to you? That answer is different for each of us. PSR exists to help balance matches. It doesn't have to be a measuring stick to compare yourself to others. Some might see PSR that way, and I'm not knocking that. What I am saying is that it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it to be.

Think of it this way. Let's say you stick around and finally do work your way up to tier 1 or 2. Well, it's not all rainbows and ponies in those tiers either. You now have to consider what you take into the battle field if PSR is important to you. You can no longer take your ac/20 trollbanmech into the game w/o accepting the possibility that your tier rating is probably going to get knocked around. Not feeling serious today and you want to take your LRM raven for lol's? Nope. No fun for you.

Just play the game to have fun. The whole PSR thing will work itself out on its own.

Edited by knnniggett, 07 January 2016 - 05:41 AM.

#34 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:54 AM

Positioning is very important. If you're having trouble staying alive, try to play more defensively, at the back of the pack and observe the dynamics of the battlefield. Play a medium mech with a decent engine (80-90 km/h speed) and gravitate around assaults and heavies, but at a certain distance behind them, instead of alongside them.

Be patient, don't run off to the front of the pack as soon as the first target pops up on the minimap. Wait to get an idea of where the enemy is and for firing lines to form. Your only priority are lights that try to flank your assaults or heavies. Otherwise, wait for a target to present itself.

When moving, keep close to potential cover and move quickly from cover to cover to keep up with the team. Don't get caught in the open. Also, if you're moving down a natural corridor, don't walk straight down the middle, hug one of the walls on the right or the left. This limits the potential angles you can be shot at.

You mentioned you've got trouble hitting targets - try going for static targets at first. There's a lot of people that just stand around begging to get shot at. And always focus your fire on a certain chassis part. For starters, always aim for center mass, the central torso, forget the arms or legs as they're harder to hit. Aiming for center mass gives a lot more chances you will at least hit something, even if the mech is moving or torso twisting.

As others have suggested, lower your mouse sensitivity (I've got it set to .2, for example) and try to play the same mech for a longer time, you'll get accustomed to the speed and the weapons and will be able to better concentrate on the game. My advice about setups is going to go against the grain. Forget "meta" builds, you don't need them at Tier 5. Try to set up something basic that is easy to use - 1/2 ER Large Lasers or 1/2 AC5s (chain fire these and you'll hit stuff easier), supported by as many medium lasers as you can fit, but not more than 6; maybe an LRM or two. Group all weapons of a certain type together and you'll have no more than 3 groups, easy to use by binding them to the mouse buttons (left mouse, right mouse, middle mouse).

EDIT: I should place a disclaimer here that the "playing it safe" tactic won't work every time. There will still be steam rolls, either on your side or the enemy's, when playing it safe will have the net result of you still not doing any damage. But this is an approach to take at first, until you get a feel for the flow of different battles and where it is best to position yourself before the lasers start flying, so that you can later start playing more aggressively.

Edited by aaykeem, 07 January 2016 - 06:04 AM.

#35 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:58 AM

Everything above. Lots of good advice. I can relate to your situation.
Most important and hardest thing for me to do, but that is guaranteed to improve your skills and stats:

Learn patience.

All of the following are part of learning patience...
Learn not to rush in. Learn to be part of the push but not ALWAYS the tip. Learn to hold your fire (shooting at that fleeing Arctic Cheetah off in the distance may feel good, but you are more likely to miss AND: raise your heat, draw attention to your position, etc. So much of this game is just being patient.

#36 Leartes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:01 AM

It would help a lot to learn more details about your system and your mechs.

System:
- what is your framerate
- what is your ping
- how far does your cockpit move if you swipe your mouse from left side to right side of your mousepad?

Mechs:
- what mechs are you using?
- what is your mechs loadout?
- which mechs are you most/least successful with?

Playstyle:
- what range are you most comfortable with?
- do you die early/late compared to your teammates?

I can see many reasons why you perform badly. Maybe your system just ***** you. Maybe you are too aggressiv and die to early. Maybe you get overexcited and spray all over the place. Probably it is a combination of several things. And most likely it can be fixed.

#37 MattNovaCat

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostLeartes, on 07 January 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

It would help a lot to learn more details about your system and your mechs.

System:
- what is your framerate
- what is your ping
- how far does your cockpit move if you swipe your mouse from left side to right side of your mousepad?

Mechs:
- what mechs are you using?
- what is your mechs loadout?
- which mechs are you most/least successful with?

Playstyle:
- what range are you most comfortable with?
- do you die early/late compared to your teammates?

I can see many reasons why you perform badly. Maybe your system just ***** you. Maybe you are too aggressiv and die to early. Maybe you get overexcited and spray all over the place. Probably it is a combination of several things. And most likely it can be fixed.

Framerate today seems to be 9-14 fps.
pings are usually 20-80

Blackjack - 2 AC5, 4 med lasers
Dragon - AC5, 3 med lasers, 1 srm6 -- sometiwmes add a ppc for the ac5
Jagermech - 2 AC2, 2AC5, 2 med lasers
Raven - ecm, narc, 2 med lasers, 2 srm6 -- also swap in large lasers or ER laser or ppc
Griffen - 4 med lasers, lrm10
Cataphract - 3 AC5, 2 med lasers

I've mixed and swapped weapons so many times on those mechs trying to see what ranges or mixes work best for me. Or else trying to adjust for whatever builds seem to be killing me that particular day. (Mech destroyed just out of the spawn without even seeing the gates? Need more ER cause short range is useless.)

I have the most kills in my Raven - sniper platform
I am avoiding assaults...just attract fire, can't turn fast enough to deal with light swarms

I think I am too aggressive...I tend to end up on the flanks and isolated. Usually one of the first to die, sometimes the last lone player.

#38 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

One thing that may help, not sure but you've probably been given this link a dozen times but just in case.. this is Smurfy's Mechlab... you can layout your mech, then post the link to it and we can analyze your exact builds and provide similar links and loadouts back to you to give a try. It's a common way we tinker with each other's toys ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

cheers

#39 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

One thing to watch out for is "outlier games". When I first got lights I thought I was awesome in them. When I started recording my match score to look for trends I found I was actually having 1 great game to 5 terrible games and very few average games. No matter how much I played it stayed like this.

Once I started piloting mediums again It was 1 great game, 1 terrible game, and 3 average games. But over time I stared having more great games, fewer terrible games, and the quality of average games went up. It was clear that I was just better and more comfortable in these mechs.

So moral of the story, pilot mechs that give you a consistent performance.

#40 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

Your FPS rate is the reason your accuracy is way down.

Post your system specs to see if there's any way to tweak this for some improved performance.

Otherwise, either upgrade your system if you can afford it OR start playing LRM/streak boats.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users