• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Also if you want to see the hardpoints on each pods, you can:
1. click the pods to see the description
2. look at the table, column heading hardpoint, under it there are numbers like 0 2 1 0 0 (in the same order Ballistic, Energy, Missile, AMS, ECM harpoints). Those numbers are the max quantity of each weapon type for that pod alone, not necessary fill them up, just the max possible. Also when mounting weapons check the available slot.
3. use the smurfy website, this is where the website is useful for planning build, save them, then later you can read it and apply the same loaduts.

#22 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

sorry but there is no such thing as a Lazer in MWO, there are however many types of Laser

The reason half those weapons show as locked is that you have no free balistic hardpoints, you also have no energy hardponits on that model,

I would advise you go to the omnipod tab and change both arms to arms offering E hardpoints, the A arms have 2 E and 1 B hardpoint, the B arms have 2 E hardpoints each

I would try something like this for LRMs, if you want you can easily swop out the MPLs for ERLLs to make it pure long range
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...adc0892d116af42

for if you want SRMs try something like this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d5bcf34556630a3
I used Artemus for the SRM6s because that tightens the missile spread

those are just rough suggestions, try a variety of builds until you find something you like the look of, again experiment on the Smurfy site I used for my links as that allows you to play around as much as you want without spending anything.

Ooh! i'm starting to understand my rookie mistake! So i want to look for energy hp, so i can actually use em.
Sorry but the hp system is kinda confusing at first. :)

I like the first build u suggested, however is all those heatsinks needed? Laser + LRM is that enough to be viable so to say?
As i've no real understanding on how to build my own builds yet, i rather follow someone else abit and learn from there.
But by the looks of it, it looks like something i'm after.

Might be sort of jack of all trades, but fits my playstyle atleast for now. :)
But ye all in all, LRM + some laser so i can defend myself closecombat better, as it is now my weapons has jammed several times in a row where i could get that final blow in, where i didn't and got killed instead.

#23 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Ooh! i'm starting to understand my rookie mistake! So i want to look for energy hp, so i can actually use em.
Sorry but the hp system is kinda confusing at first. Posted Image

I like the first build u suggested, however is all those heatsinks needed? Laser + LRM is that enough to be viable so to say?
As i've no real understanding on how to build my own builds yet, i rather follow someone else abit and learn from there.
But by the looks of it, it looks like something i'm after.

Might be sort of jack of all trades, but fits my playstyle atleast for now. Posted Image
But ye all in all, LRM + some laser so i can defend myself closecombat better, as it is now my weapons has jammed several times in a row where i could get that final blow in, where i didn't and got killed instead.

for the cooling, on Smurfy top of the screen there is a "weapon lab" that tells you how long it will take you to overheat firing the selected weapons and even allows you to simulate e.g. just the lasers or just the LRMs. for the MPL+LRM15 build, all are not needed but you will want most of those heatsinks, I concider 40% on smurfy to be usable if alpha firing, higher is better, as that should be LRMs for long range, MPL for short range you can afford to go a bit hotter.

I have no idea how you have been using them but for LRMs do not just hide behind a rock and fire off someone elses locks, try to get your own locks and stick with the team, you will find them much more effective like that than hiding and using locks provided by a teammate

#24 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

is all those heatsinks needed? Laser + LRM is that enough to be viable so to say?

for heatsinks, you need at least 10, and i think coming from smurfy you want to hit the Cooling Efficiency around 30~40%.
Laser + LRM pretty common.

Want more builds? http://metamechs.com/ though I think for now you can build whatev you suited or want to try.

#25 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

for the cooling, on Smurfy top of the screen there is a "weapon lab" that tells you how long it will take you to overheat firing the selected weapons and even allows you to simulate e.g. just the lasers or just the LRMs. for the MPL+LRM15 build, all are not needed but you will want most of those heatsinks, I concider 40% on smurfy to be usable if alpha firing, higher is better, as that should be LRMs for long range, MPL for short range you can afford to go a bit hotter.

I have no idea how you have been using them but for LRMs do not just hide behind a rock and fire off someone elses locks, try to get your own locks and stick with the team, you will find them much more effective like that than hiding and using locks provided by a teammate

I do stick with the team, and find myself a good place to semi hide and shoot at em, and go in as needed. Not sure if that's the right approach, but it's fun and seem to work so far. Altho in more closed maps LRMS are kinda crappy, hence why i want the more melee side of things. I've always been more of a support in most games, and as it turns out i kinda like that aswell in this game. And i'm well aware of AMS etc, and i know how to hit them even with it (Thanks youtube)

Edit: As mentioned earlier, it's not impressive but here's the stats so far:
EBON JAGUAR EBJ-C  31  15  16  0.94  5  21  0.24  5,476  21,007  03:51:52

View PostIngga Raokai, on 07 January 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

for heatsinks, you need at least 10, and i think coming from smurfy you want to hit the Cooling Efficiency around 30~40%.
Laser + LRM pretty common.

Want more builds? http://metamechs.com/ though I think for now you can build whatev you suited or want to try.

Aha i see... so the sort of hybrid i just made up won't realy work then. I found a way with A EBJ arms to keep ac wep + energy. But if this is the case i'm going to overheat like there's no tomorrow.

I'ma try to go with the laser + lrm combo and see how it feels like. The items needed wasn't that expensive afterall. Posted Image

Tyvm for the inputs guys Posted Image

Edited by xSleeZyx, 07 January 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#26 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

Another tip: if you wont use Smurfys you can watch and tune every mech whos available for MC or Cbills in the Mechlab.

Go in the Shop, select the Mech you wannt to buy and then hit the "View in Mechlab"-Button on the top of the stat-window right below(where you can see the loadout, heatmight, speed and all those collourfull lines).
You cant save without buying the mech but you can look at wich positions how many hardpoints are.
And you can test builds without paying for the mech.

Edit: the Timberwolf is very similar to the EBJ but it can mount Omnipods with fixed Jump Jets und the armor ist heavyer.
But, like someone has said before, they are primetargets. The Timber was the first mech i own when i started in june 2015 because i loved the mech from other games and the books. I sell it after 4-5 matches cause everyone was shooting at me and the loadouts i known from the other games dont work, thats not fun as a newbie :D

Something more: you can sell one of the EBJ after you get the basics if you want. They will not get los so you can get Elite-skill of the EBJ you decided to keep.
Keep in mind: you can do every loadout with every EBJ just by switching the Omnipods.
They have no CenterTorso hardpoints(the only omnipod you are not able to switch).

Edited by Rayden Wolf, 07 January 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#27 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

Aha i see... so the sort of hybrid i just made up won't realy work then. I found a way with A EBJ arms to keep ac wep + energy. But if this is the case i'm going to overheat like there's no tomorrow.

if you can afford it you can try any build you feel like, but I suggest trying it in smurfy first to see how long it will take to overheat.

at your stage you are not going to have many weapons laying around but give it a few weeks and you may have enough weapons laying around to try something, take it onto testing grounds and see how it works, if it runs too hot you can adjust, many times have I built a Mech and found it feels cooler than I was expecting, so I have perhaps added another laser or removed some heatsinks for more armor or ammo, or overheats too fast so I remove something for extra heatsinks, so the numbers do not always tell the full story.

sometimes I just mess around and put together a joke build, something which on paper does not seam like it could possibly work, and sometimes they do not but others turn out to be amazingly effective.
what I am saying is do not be afraid to experiment.

also Metamechs as Ingga Raokai mentioned tends to focus on the most efficient builds for a specific role, if you are after getting into competitive play that is a great reference source but, in my opinion, that is all it is really good for

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#28 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

if you can afford it you can try any build you feel like, but I suggest trying it in smurfy first to see how long it will take to overheat.

at your stage you are not going to have many weapons laying around but give it a few weeks and you may have enough weapons laying around to try something, take it onto testing grounds and see how it works, if it runs too hot you can adjust, many times have I built a Mech and found it feels cooler than I was expecting, so I have perhaps added another laser or removed some heatsinks for more armor or ammo, or overheats too fast so I remove something for extra heatsinks, so the numbers do not always tell the full story.

sometimes I just mess around and put together a joke build, something which on paper does not seam like it could possibly work, and sometimes they do not but others turn out to be amazingly effective.
what I am saying is do not be afraid to experiment.

also Metamechs as Ingga Raokai mentioned tends to focus on the most efficient builds for a specific role, if you are after getting into competitive play that is a great reference source but, in my opinion, that is all it is really good for

Yea i'll experiment around abit and learn how it all works.
I'm not looking into any serious meta / competetive builds at the moment, As i'm still learning the basics, IE map layouts for one.
I realy love when ppl use voice com for orders tho, makes it way easier to play and progress. Cuz if not ill stick to the pack most of the times, But what i've noticed that alot of new players (like me) Doesn't know that enemies will flank etc, which i've learned via yt videos. So i got abit of a headstart there.

Reason i figured i could go hybrid is due i saw the 1 / 2 arb on EBJ-A whereas the other ones were either 2 or none (for energy)

But ye i'm going to test stuff around abit Posted Image

Again thanks all of you who has replied to my topic, it has been very helpful!

2nd edit: I see why heatfins is needed, with 8 i almost overheat in a simulated stress situation ^^ (testing grounds ofc)

Edited by xSleeZyx, 07 January 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#29 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

2nd edit: I see why heatfins is needed, with 8 i almost overheat in a simulated stress situation ^^ (testing grounds ofc)

I'll just put this here for additional info. Any engine sizze above 250 comes with 10 built-in hsink (or more for clan mechs). And i'm assuming you said "21" of total heatsink (EBJ has 13 built-in hsink). Worrying about engine size and the built-in hsink is more of a IS way of thinking, as we costumize mech slightly different way.

So, as EBJ already have the engine size of 325 (allowing it to have 3 more hsink in the engine) technically you can run without additional hsink, but as you experienced already, more hsink more cool, too much of them no firepower, just find the sweetspot.

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 07 January 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#30 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 07 January 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

I'll just put this here for additional info. Any engine sizze above 250 comes with 10 built-in hsink (or more for clan mechs). And i'm assuming you said "21" of total heatsink (EBJ has 13 built-in hsink). Worrying about engine size and the built-in hsink is more of a IS way of thinking, as we costumize mech slightly different way.

So, as EBJ already have the engine size of 325 (allowing it to have 3 more hsink in the engine) technically you can run without additional hsink, but as you experienced already, more hsink more cool, too much of them no firepower, just find the sweetspot.

Now you went abit over my head... but i'll figure it out eventually :P

Here's what i've been running so far, probably not optimal, but has worked much better than stock setting.
Feel free to correct my errors ^^ :)
Posted Image

#31 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

Drop a Heatsink, add Targeting Computer MK1(for faster lock ons and laserrange) and add 1.5t of ammo. Thats what i wouldo do. Your build looks pretty cool, so i think you will not miss the DHS.

CT armor MAX, allways. You can drop two points from the head, most mechswarriors i know have just 16 there.

#32 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

Nice load out. I'm an IS exclusive pilot, so no Clan mechs for me, but I like your loadout. It is a very efficient load out. Runs cool, plenty of ammo. I'd run that.

#33 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

Sleezy, Nice build. Drop 1 armor each on the leg. Put 2 armor on the front CT. CT rear should have 12, the ST rear's should have 10's for a 81 KPH mech. Just have to keep the action in front of you, you'll start being more AWARE of your surroundings so that enemies won't sneak up on you. Your heat eff. is above average, don't really have to change anything unless you start running out of missiles but that's a good build if you tend to be firing often. IMHO, targetting computer 1 doesn't help too much, the BAP will make a difference.

You have enough armor to tank so-so, when you have the numbers advantage don't forget to join in the push.
Also you are a heavy LRMers so you can be brutally effective staying in the 300-500M range where your ERML's will hit for almost full to full damage while your LRM's will hit your targets at a higher %.
Just try to maintain behind cover early game, and poke if you're going to get good trades.
Just remember to push R and check the range of the target before your LRM. Most people run out of LRM ammo because they spam at 1000meter targets that are intermittently in cover.
Good luck!

#34 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostSmoked, on 07 January 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Sleezy, Nice build. Drop 1 armor each on the leg. Put 2 armor on the front CT. CT rear should have 12, the ST rear's should have 10's for a 81 KPH mech. Just have to keep the action in front of you, you'll start being more AWARE of your surroundings so that enemies won't sneak up on you.

just bear in mind with that armor distribution if anything gets behind you (even most Lights), it will kill you inside 5 seconds, torso armor is a balance of having enough to survive the hits you plan on taking to the front and being able to survive if something gets behind you.

#35 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostRayden Wolf, on 07 January 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Drop a Heatsink, add Targeting Computer MK1(for faster lock ons and laserrange) and add 1.5t of ammo. Thats what i wouldo do. Your build looks pretty cool, so i think you will not miss the DHS.

CT armor MAX, allways. You can drop two points from the head, most mechswarriors i know have just 16 there.

Changed into a mk1, altho i'm not sure if it helped much. Posted Image I mean i don't feel any diffrence from being without it or with it. Posted Image
But now i found myself of having to much LRMs so it works out fine! Posted Image

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

Nice load out. I'm an IS exclusive pilot, so no Clan mechs for me, but I like your loadout. It is a very efficient load out. Runs cool, plenty of ammo. I'd run that.

Thanks! Posted Image So far it works great, or so i feel anyway, won some brawls and i still got my support-side.

View PostSmoked, on 07 January 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Sleezy, Nice build. Drop 1 armor each on the leg. Put 2 armor on the front CT. CT rear should have 12, the ST rear's should have 10's for a 81 KPH mech. Just have to keep the action in front of you, you'll start being more AWARE of your surroundings so that enemies won't sneak up on you. Your heat eff. is above average, don't really have to change anything unless you start running out of missiles but that's a good build if you tend to be firing often. IMHO, targetting computer 1 doesn't help too much, the BAP will make a difference.

You have enough armor to tank so-so, when you have the numbers advantage don't forget to join in the push.
Also you are a heavy LRMers so you can be brutally effective staying in the 300-500M range where your ERML's will hit for almost full to full damage while your LRM's will hit your targets at a higher %.
Just try to maintain behind cover early game, and poke if you're going to get good trades.
Just remember to push R and check the range of the target before your LRM. Most people run out of LRM ammo because they spam at 1000meter targets that are intermittently in cover.
Good luck!

Edit:

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

just bear in mind with that armor distribution if anything gets behind you (even most Lights), it will kill you inside 5 seconds, torso armor is a balance of having enough to survive the hits you plan on taking to the front and being able to survive if something gets behind you.

Oh i've noticed that! Espeically the light mechs who keeps spinning around, altho i had a funny fight with one.
We keept spinning around eachother and neither of us landed a single hit on eachother :P Until my team mate finished him off. :P
I don't think i can add anymore into CT, else i might have missed that one when building.
Spamming LRM while out of range i found myself doing for the first 10 matches or so, but then i youtubes some.. learned some.. and ye. Posted Image

I know where to aim, when to shoot and somewhat when to take cover, altho i need to learn abit more patientce, i often find myself in the front and directing the attacks :S (or co-attack with the current leader)

Btw i love when ppl take command and say go b2 xxxx etc.. it usualy works out so well and it adds to the immersion. Posted Image
+1 for voip in this game!

Having a blast so far! Posted Image

Edited by xSleeZyx, 07 January 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#36 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

What

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

Now you went abit over my head... but i'll figure it out eventually Posted Image

Here's what i've been running so far, probably not optimal, but has worked much better than stock setting.
Feel free to correct my errors ^^ Posted Image

For the first bit, he was talking about Heat Sinks in your engine - you have to have 10 heat sinks on any 'mech, and the Engine can hold up to one Heat Sink per 25 engine rating. So, if you have a 200-rated engine, you have to put another heat sink onto your 'mech somewhere, and if you've got a 325 engine, you can put 3 inside. This is a purely space-saving mechanic - it's always best to put heat sinks outside the engine if you can, in the hope that they'll get blown up before your guns/ammo if your armor gets penetrated.

As for your 'mech, you're doing well with what you're trying to do. You should stay close to your team, particularly the faster heavies and Mediums - possibly using your mobility to get out and flank to one side or another if you need to get angles, but not too far. The optimal engagement range for LRMs is about 400m, if you can manage it. Move with your Assaults and belt people with those missiles.

For armor and for ammo, always kind of keep an eye on your performance. If you run out of ammo during a long game, it's ok - but if you consistently run dry before the match is effectively decided, you might need more ammo or better ammo management. Similarly, if you're dying mostly from the front, you should consider shifting armor from your rear; if you wilt like a daisy in a blast furnace, you probably need to shift armor back - and work on not letting people behind you. Use Targeting Computers on the Ebon Jaguar to use up extra tonnage when you run out of space for more heat sinks. =)

I picked up the Ebon Jaguars this week, and that's almost exactly what I chose to do. I also found that LRMs gave me consistently high experience totals if I used them well - but as others have told you, direct-fire guns (and SRMS!) are more effective. Currently I'm working two versions of the Ebon Jaguar, both of them close-range: LB-20X, and SRM/Lasers; these builds do not have accurate armor allocations, because that depends more on you, as above. Both are tons of fun, particularly once I'd unlocked the Basics and Speed Tweak.

Finally, I have a couple of guides I wrote, and of course recommend them along with This Piece of Awesome, if you haven't seen it already.

Edited by Void Angel, 07 January 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

Now you went abit over my head... but i'll figure it out eventually Posted Image
Posted Image

If you're wondering what was meant:

You have 8 DHS that you've added to the mech, but also in the engine's additional slots there are (grayed out because you can't change them) 3 additional "Double"s, and then the engine itself also carries 10 doubles within it.

10 + 3 + 8 = 21 double heatsinks.

As you mentioned even with those 21 DHS, you got pretty dang hot in that simulated stress situation, didn't you?

#38 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Btw i love when ppl take command and say go b2 xxxx etc.. it usualy works out so well and it adds to the immersion. Posted Image
+1 for voip in this game!

if no-one else takes command try it yourself, regardless of if you know what you are doing, a bad plan which the team follows is far better than no plan.

however if you do decide to take command please be polite, suggest do not order and do not take it personally if the team does not follow you, I should not need to say that but on several occasions I have encountered someone who thinks that swearing at and insulting the team is the best way to lead, those people get really upset when we totally disregard their orders and leave them to die
edit,
strangely enough I rarely see those people more than once, likely because they are reported by 11-23 people at the end of the match

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#39 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostxSleeZyx, on 07 January 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

I know where to aim, when to shoot and somewhat when to take cover, altho i need to learn abit more patientce, i often find myself in the front and directing the attacks :S (or co-attack with the current leader)

Don't be afraid to suggest tactics, or tell people what you've seen. The rule for comms is to be accurate, and terse - "two contacts, Bravo 5" is much better than, "I see two guys at Bee five, not really sure what they are..." because we would like to know what you've seen before we die of old age - or gunfire. But just starting out, you're still in Tier 5 with all the other new guys, which is great! It means that even if you have people from Tier 4 up there, nobody is super-1337 and skilled yet, so feel free to learn tactical control by doing.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

if no-one else takes command try it yourself, regardless of if you know what you are doing, a bad plan which the team follows is far better than no plan.

however if you do decide to take command please be polite, suggest do not order and do not take it personally if the team does not follow you, I should not need to say that but on several occasions I have encountered someone who thinks that swearing at and insulting the team is the best way to lead, those people get really upset when we totally disregard their orders and leave them to die

Yelling at people also ticks them off and makes them dumber than however dumb they might otherwise be - because science. Basically, stressing people makes their brains shift gears away from, "I say, let us find a rational solution to this dilemma," and toward, "HIT WITH ROCK!" Makes sense in a real-world dangerous situation, but not so much in MWO.

Edited by Void Angel, 07 January 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#40 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 January 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

What

For the first bit, he was talking about Heat Sinks in your engine - you have to have 10 heat sinks on any 'mech, and the Engine can hold up to one Heat Sink per 25 engine rating. So, if you have a 200-rated engine, you have to put another heat sink onto your 'mech somewhere, and if you've got a 325 engine, you can put 3 inside. This is a purely space-saving mechanic - it's always best to put heat sinks outside the engine if you can, in the hope that they'll get blown up before your guns/ammo if your armor gets penetrated.

As for your 'mech, you're doing well with what you're trying to do. You should stay close to your team, particularly the faster heavies and Mediums - possibly using your mobility to get out and flank to one side or another if you need to get angles, but not too far. The optimal engagement range for LRMs is about 400m, if you can manage it. Move with your Assaults and belt people with those missiles.

For armor and for ammo, always kind of keep an eye on your performance. If you run out of ammo during a long game, it's ok - but if you consistently run dry before the match is effectively decided, you might need more ammo or better ammo management. Similarly, if you're dying mostly from the front, you should consider shifting armor from your rear; if you wilt like a daisy in a blast furnace, you probably need to shift armor back - and work on not letting people behind you. Use Targeting Computers on the Ebon Jaguar to use up extra tonnage when you run out of space for more heat sinks. =)

I picked up the Ebon Jaguars this week, and that's almost exactly what I chose to do. I also found that LRMs gave me consistently high experience totals if I used them well - but as others have told you, direct-fire guns (and SRMS!) are more effective. Currently I'm working two versions of the Ebon Jaguar, both of them close-range: LB-20X, and SRM/Lasers; these builds do not have accurate armor allocations, because that depends more on you, as above. Both are tons of fun, particularly once I'd unlocked the Basics and Speed Tweak.

Finally, I have a couple of guides I wrote, and of course recommend them along with This Piece of Awesome, if you haven't seen it already.

Luckily now when i own the mech i don't run out of ammo and consitently hit 300+ dps per round which is good i think?
But yea i think the playstyle realy fits me, so far. Posted Image

View PostKoniving, on 07 January 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

If you're wondering what was meant:

You have 8 DHS that you've added to the mech, but also in the engine's additional slots there are (grayed out because you can't change them) 3 additional "Double"s, and then the engine itself also carries 10 doubles within it.

10 + 3 + 8 = 21 double heatsinks.

As you mentioned even with those 21 DHS, you got pretty dang hot in that simulated stress situation, didn't you?

Yepp i did indeed! Posted Image

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

edit,
strangely enough I rarely see those people more than once, likely because they are reported by 11-23 people at the end of the match

Ofc! i'm always polite, tbh i'm the last one ull see rage Posted Image I've quite the endurance/tolerancy or how it spells. Posted Image

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 January 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Don't be afraid to suggest tactics, or tell people what you've seen. The rule for comms is to be accurate, and terse - "two contacts, Bravo 5" is much better than, "I see two guys at Bee five, not really sure what they are..." because we would like to know what you've seen before we die of old age - or gunfire. But just starting out, you're still in Tier 5 with all the other new guys, which is great! It means that even if you have people from Tier 4 up there, nobody is super-1337 and skilled yet, so feel free to learn tactical control by doing.

Yelling at people also ticks them off and makes them dumber than however dumb they might otherwise be - because science. Basically, stressing people makes their brains shift gears away from, "I say, let us find a rational solution to this dilemma," and toward, "HIT WITH ROCK!" Makes sense in a real-world dangerous situation, but not so much in MWO.

Ok since im new and all.. I'm quilty of that, sort of... "2 enemy spotted at b3" is what i tell (well depending on loc etc)
But i still don't use bravo/alpha etc, i've to wrap my head around that. Posted Image

On the upside, i'm starting to learn the maps quite good now. Posted Image
And ye obviously only t5 but well i'm having fun Posted Image

PS: I've notice AAAALot of players skip the tutorial and head right into game Posted Image
Like every game there's some poor fella trying on the controlls...
The tutorial should be mandatory imo, it doesn't take long + u get free c-bills Posted Image

Edited by xSleeZyx, 07 January 2016 - 04:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users