The Capellan Front:

91 replies to this topic

#61 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

View Poststormeagle, on 14 January 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

You'll note though, Pugs actually make it easier to attack other planet's. They get discouraged, and then they drop out of the game. Pugs should be recruited and blah blah blah, we talk about this all the time. But this is not the point.

Davion's pug supply is heavily linked to the fact they're the main setting for most materials involving Mechwarrior and Battletech. Steiner gets some benefit from this as well. The fact that most of the lore is set around Davion as well, doesn't help.

People flock to what they know, and to winners.

You might be interested to know that Russ announced he is going to split the que in CW. No longer will pugs have to fight organized groups. Thats going to change everything in the south. With pug drops counting right alongside unit drops. The more numbers you have to counter that the better off your going to be.

#62 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostAsaru, on 14 January 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

I'm sure the action helps but while you as a Marik player love the large amounts of easy kill pugs that jump on any planet that gets a call to arms its not really so awesome from our end. Multiple fronts will get you the action but if your not wining then its not really a positive.

Unless you have enough organized units to cover all those fronts then you really need to limit (if possible) how many are active at one time.

I just want action. I dont care who I fight, whether its pugs or an organized group as long as I can shoot someone. I dont think ive ever heard anyone on our TS say "boy I hope its a pugdrop!" while were queing for a match. Thing is if you want a fight you go to Davion because of population which leads right back into my argument. As I said before if loyalist Davion units would make an effort to organize them on your TS you would be a force to be reckoned with. But right now they are just cannonfodder and it all pays the same to me man.

#63 BigRed40Tech

• PipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

And this thread has been completely derailed, by a subject I really didn't want brought up.

If this is an issue for you, beer, please start your own thread. I was really trying to make this a current events page for what's happening on the Liao border. I'm genuinely kinda annoyed by this discussion, especially when its in a thread that's not really meant for it.

If you want to talk about this subject, please make a separate thread.

#64 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

View Postbeerandasmoke, on 14 January 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

That could be some of it but why do they stay? What is it about Davion that keeps the pugs from migrating up north? I believe it is the action. The quick fights they can get in Davion compared to the other southern houses.

I have lost a lot of brothers and sisters to other factions, I've only always been Davion (partly because of lore, partly because at one point I was so broke I couldn't break the perm contract lol). All I can say is that many of the Davion units are not that big and *most* are not that militant which may explain the variety in quality play.

Is there action? Yes, sometimes frustratingly so because I don't want to just win matches, I want to KEEP PLANETS because that is the end game whether its rewarding or not.

That probably seems like a contradiction but I really do feel like players have injecting enough personality into their houses that each one kind of has its own feel...

...Like Liao being temperamental and paranoid... Posted Image

aaaaaaaaaaand I'll get of the sidetrack now...

Edited by MovinTarget, 14 January 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#65 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Postbeerandasmoke, on 14 January 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

I just want action. I dont care who I fight, whether its pugs or an organized group as long as I can shoot someone. I dont think ive ever heard anyone on our TS say "boy I hope its a pugdrop!" while were queing for a match. Thing is if you want a fight you go to Davion because of population which leads right back into my argument. As I said before if loyalist Davion units would make an effort to organize them on your TS you would be a force to be reckoned with. But right now they are just cannonfodder and it all pays the same to me man.

You know...just finished my work week and had a chance to look at the map. It looks like we can't even handle the one front. How about people get their **** together on the fight we have before complaining we don't have more.

#66 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 14 January 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

You know...just finished my work week and had a chance to look at the map. It looks like we can't even handle the one front. How about people get their **** together on the fight we have before complaining we don't have more.

Just wait...

Edited by GeneralKota307, 14 January 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#67 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 14 January 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

Total epiphany. Integrate TS further into MWO...

Have a unit level TS

Once in a group you have integrated ts in/out of game for just the group.

Leaders of CW groups can go to a special channel to devise/get specific directions. Unit leaders do not need to be in a group to be here and rabble rousers can be vote-booted if getting in the way.

Perhaps a diplomacy channel to communicate with *any* faction heads to work out alliance call bluffs, etc.

No more worrying about getting peeps onto the faction ts, it's just automatic.

Now please, everyone tell me how stupid my idea is and why b/c that's what usually happens lol.

Only problem would be who is paying for the obligatory TS? I like the idea and man I would LOVE to get everyone automatically into Davion TS, just not sure of the mechanics of it.

#68 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 January 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

Only problem would be who is paying for the obligatory TS? I like the idea and man I would LOVE to get everyone automatically into Davion TS, just not sure of the mechanics of it.

What I meant is that the in-game VOIP would work outside of matches and have some inherent channel control for any group (like in-match), whole Units, CW Group Leaders, Unit Leaders, Diplomacy, etc.

Edited by MovinTarget, 15 January 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#69 DeathDream

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

Discord is free and much better than TS.

#70 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostDeathDream, on 15 January 2016 - 06:11 AM, said:

Discord is free and much better than TS.

Is it wrong that this sounds like an authentic Marik style comment? :D

#71 BigRed40Tech

• PipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

Shensi: January 17th, 3051

After several days of light resistance from Marik forces, it would seem that new life blood was poured into Capellan resolve. Several dedicated attack forces recaptured Styx, Gan Singh, and Shensi. Marik, having overextended its borders, and supplies, couldn't field units in this time to defend these world's correctly, which lead to the collapse of the front. A humiliation even by the lowest standards. It appears as though FWLM forces were absent from the battlefield, and the conscripted forces and garrisons that appeared, were little resistance to the power of Capellan regular and veteran units.

On January 15th however, FWLM forces rallied to their banner, and staved off the invasion of Zion. The mercenary unit ITX can be most credited with the defence, keeping TCAF and 66MG off the world during several exposed, shortfalls in the Marik line.

This lead to the sixth battle of Gan Singh. The most contested battle of the war so far. FWLM regular units hit the world several times while ITX defended Zion, but couldn't rally enough troops for the assault. Gan Singh fell after an intense series of firefights. FWLM defeated several regular and veteran Liao formations during this assault, but only barely managed to recapture the world, with high casualties.

Showing a new willingness to engage in the battle, and with fresh reinforcements and elite TCAF units, Liao's push on the FWL front has been very successful. In the coming day, Gan Singh was retaken, and Liao units even pushed all the way back to Zion. Zion being the beginning of the Marik counteroffensive. This collapse of FWL forces heavily exposed much of the problems inside the FWLM military. Command was left with a grim situation on their only major war front.

Once a glorious sign of Marik war commitment, the front had degenerated into at best, a quagmire, and at worst, a reversal of fortunes. Due to outside circumstances, Marik forces were unable to commit to battle, or, if they were committing, were doing so under dubious circumstances, leading to greater and greater gains by the Capellan Confederation. However, even with these losses, the only benefit which could be seen or understood so far, if it was a benefit at all, was as Liao had shifted these more battle hardened formations, and new equipment, to their front, House Davion had taken advantage of the situation.

Without new units to reinforce their positions, Capellan forces across their Davion line, collapsed. Wei, Shenshi, and Gan Singh all fell in a short time to concentrated assaults by the AFFS. Worse for the Capellans yet, on January sixth, reconstituted, and with shorter supply lines and greater coordination, the Free World's League rallied its forces, and pitched battle over the course of an extended period, over the key world of Zion. Zion was traded again back to the FWL in a series of ruthless battles, before finally recaptured by the Capellan Confederation, almost exclusively by TCAF during a sixteen hour pitched battle.

Capably lead, and ruthlessly able to replace their losses, TCAF managed finally to take Zion, permanently seemingly, from any further FWL push imaginable. However, much to the surprise of the haggard troops of this war, nearly a full regiment of AFFS forces landed on the world in what is considered a devastating setback to the Capellan forces. Even as FWLM forces had pulled back, outfought and outmanoeuvred, they inflicted increasingly serious casualties on their adversaries.

In a bid of diplomacy, it was decided that Davion troops could be used to liberate the planet from Capellan Control. Negotiations over who would own the planet by the end of the war, would undoubtedly take place. Capellan High Command seemed to underestimate the willingness of once bitter rivals, the FWLM and AFFS, to coordinate and work together. Commanders who once stood opposite of one another, now stood to help one another. Attacks were linked up together to synchronize their assaults as best as possible. Enemy formations were caught in the trap, often being forced to choose between fighting the FWLM, or fighting the AFFS.

With this in mind, an ambitious plan was made by FWLM high command. Not to continue throwing their depleted forces at Zion, which Davion was taking using a dedicated regiment, but to shift two battalions to Pleoine, jumping through now friendly Davion space. An attack was formed to retake Shenshi, a planet which had traded between Liao, Davion, and Marik multiple times. Caught unaware, and caught off guard, defenders and garrison forces, were forced to fight three relatively competent Marik units. The 1FWG, MGA, RMA, Seraphim and others made significant gains against weakened defences, before defeating the mercenary unit, 69MG, in a series of running battles.

The 69MG, a unit which had seen heavy action across the Capellan front on behalf of their employers, had been a backbone for the house during much of the fighting. Often competently lead, the mercenaries had proven themselves worthy enemies, even managing several fantastic holding actions during the assault, but when faced by the 1FWG in several heated engagements, trading a victory for two defeats, much of the unit, due to heavy losses, was forced to wtihdraw, only further complicating their employer's position.

Inevitably, Shensi fell to this surprise assault, leaving the Capellans in a further complicated position.

Right now, FWLM forces seem poised to return to Styk, intending to throw at least one battalion against the defenders, using stretched units. FWLM high command won't speak of how in depth its increasingly friendly relations to the Federated Suns had become, but it would comment that it was pleased with the liberation of the people of Zion, from the tyranny of their former allies, the Capellan Confederation.

Drop Commander Orzel "Storm Eagle" Adamski of the 1st First Free World's Guard, was even remarked as saying.

“These battles are the first on our road to Capella, and then Sian. Too long as the Capellan Confederation, and their treacherous and hostile behaviour, been allowed in our space. To defeat the Capellans, and end their tyranny and aggression, is to support the Clan front, as to no longer have a treacherous nation in our midst.”

FWLM command however, has not issued any releases on the Free World's Leagues stated goals, other than to say that it has an invested interest in returning 8 planets to its control.

- Storm Eagle.

Edited by stormeagle, 17 January 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#72 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

Yep we have liberated the Liao planet and Zion is now in the hands of Davion.

Hopefully, soon we will see Wazan in Marik territory once again.
69MG is a worthy opponent but I didn't play them today, always fight well and close matches

#73 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

It should be noted that we are still +3 vs CC in this campaign. Meanwhile they are losing worlds incredibly fast.

They can ghost drop all they want. The longer they prolong the war with Marik the longer the joint offensive lasts. Worse, for Liao, is that the longer this goes on the more integrated the FWL and FS become. What once was 8 worlds might turn into more the longer this continues. That is assuming it isn't already too late for Liao to salvage any kind of positive diplomatic ties to Marik.

#74 BigRed40Tech

• PipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Personally, I've gotten along very well with the FS guys.

Trading intel with them is always a polite and curtious action, and they tend to be really nice.

So, yea. I'd really rather not fight them anyway, they seem like reliable, good people.

#75 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

View Poststormeagle, on 17 January 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

Shensi: January 17th, 3051

FWLM command however, has not issued any releases on the Free World's Leagues stated goals, other than to say that it has an invested interest in returning 8 planets to its control.

- Storm Eagle.

Super report; well worth the read. Despite the less-than-ideal circumstances on the field, I am thoroughly enjoying the antics both on and off the forums. While PGI didn't plan on it, this has become part of CW.

Am sure the FWLM will get eight planets; just not the 'lost' 8. Blame the wonky algorithm but the map borders are kinda messy at the moment.

Posted Image

#76 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostWaiMingLee, on 18 January 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

Super report; well worth the read. Despite the less-than-ideal circumstances on the field, I am thoroughly enjoying the antics both on and off the forums. While PGI didn't plan on it, this has become part of CW.

Am sure the FWLM will get eight planets; just not the 'lost' 8. Blame the wonky algorithm but the map borders are kinda messy at the moment.

Posted Image

Exactly we would like to take the exact same 8 but the algorithm isn't working it out that way making us take Styk, Pleione, and all the other northern planets

#77 BigRed40Tech

• PipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

Styk: January 18th, 3051

Monday the 18th saw what can only be described, as a military disaster for most of the parties involved in hostilities across the now disputed territories between Liao, Marik, and Davion. All sides saw a series of blunders during this time, as well as poorly coordinated pushes and assaults done by forces which were at best, loosely affiliated with their parent factions.

At the dawn of the day, a rogue element of an AFFS affiliated mercenary, assaulted the planet Shensi, a recent conquest of the FWLM against House Davion. The mercenaries, DEAD, ill informed and poorly mismanaged, were able to win two battles on the planet, before AFFS command managed to gain some command over the unit, reigning it in and reducing hostilities. None of those who participated, save perhaps for the mercenaries themselves, wanted to see a breakdown of the non-aggression pact, leading to most major media organizations to play down the intense border skirmishes.

To begin with however, one can't understand the day, without understanding the tense position of Capellan forces. Battles over the course of January 16th and 18th, which had seen severe fighting with reserve units and mercenaries, had spent much of the house's forces. Scattered loyalist units now did all they could to hold on, with local garrisons, to protect the Capellan Confederations ever shrinking border. It was becoming increasingly difficult to hide the full scale of the rebuke of their overall territory and forces as well. TCAF, the largest Liao veteran formation participating in the conflict, after intense fighting, required pulling back and replacing their lost mechs and mechwarriors. If they'd stayed in the front line much longer, it could have seen serious consequences for the unit itself, logistically and militarily.

69MG, another staple on the conflict so far, also required pulling back a full company of mechs. Once hitting both Davion and Marik forces, doggedly attempting to hold Capellan territory, the force was reduced to a single company, facing off against an immensely numerically superior AFFS formations.

With the removal of these forces, the Capellan Confederation saw itself relying on less capable forces and mercenaries. Though some regular and veteran formations remained, the mercenaries RSRV, Reserve, coming to mind, the army simply couldn't stand and fight in prolonged engagements, and couldn't afford the kind of losses attrition brought them. The resulting problem, lead the Capellan armed forces down a road where they were ordered to hold ground recently taken or held by more veteran units, but being utterly unable to do so. The result of this practice, would be self evident to most commanders, and some indeed defied orders seemingly, withdrawing from battle all together to save their declining forces.

For House Davion and House Marik, their problems stemmed from an issue of logistics, and a stalled advance. Too few forces were available after such intense fighting over the last few days of battle. For both armies, their regular and veteran forces were spent, leaving only shadow remnants of their former selves to make assaults. Despite several victories by both in the early hours of the day, and mid day, there simply weren't enough troops on either side to make a meaningful push. Mercenaries, such as DEAD and ITx, despite being ordered to hit the Capellan front, instead lashed out at House Davion and House Marik, attempting to start border wars to improve their own paychecks. So far however, no institution has taken these skirmishes seriously. For the FWLM, it's gone even one step further, outright denouncing the unit ITx.

Interestingly, when more forces were brought forward by the Federated Suns and Free World's League, finally finding means of reinforcing and resupplying their overextended units, Capellan resistance had taken its opportunity to dig in. Irregular forces of both House Liao and House Marik clashed on Styk, as well as mercenaries doing battle against the increasingly battle hardened formations of the 1FWG, RMA, and MGA. The irregular forces of both houses saw victories and defeats against one another under different battles across the planet, but the real story of the fall of Styk, now firmly again in Marik hands, comes from the battles which were exchanged between the mercenary force known as RSRV, and a combined company of 1FWG, RMA, and MGA units.

The first confrontation, having just taken a largely undefended piece of Styk, causing the surrender of a local garrison, was the result of a RSRV counterattack. Tensions ran high between the two units as a short exchange was made between the two, and Marik forces deliberately pulled back from the battle prematurely, likely to save its meagre resources. RSRV, which was in the process of attempting to impress its employer with more scalps to show for their victory, was deeply upset with the result.

When it came into conflict with the unit again however, the results were quickly reversed. In a series of four running battles across the surface of Styk, Marik regular forces gained the fortune of catching the unit at excellent moments. Across the four engagements, the FWLM engaged veteran formations, as well as two training formations. In both cases, the mercenary unit was savaged in a series of assaults. The final engagement, facing a scattered group of veterans desperately trying to use recently recruited conscripts to the front, the FWLM saw another victory, cementing the planet of Styk in the hands of the house.

A similar fate was faced on Tsitang, which was invaded at the same time as Styk.

A political and military crisis now looms over the Capellan Confederation in light of these recent weeks. It went from the gates of Kybacken to having lost Asuncion, Zion, Gan Singh, Styk, Shensi, Pleoine, St. Andre, and Tstiang in the North, and Wei, Sakhalin, Kaifeng, and Truth in the East. Sarna is now bordered by the Federated Suns as well, its buffer being entirely removed.

Drop Commander Orzel Adamski, otherwise known as Storm Eagle, made a comment during the hours following a recent ceasefire, saying simply.

“Sometimes I feel bad for the Capellans. Its a situation that can only get better for them in the short term, but everyone on both sides whose holding a weapon, knows the long term for this conflict. Something's gonna give, and it's gonna give soon.”

- StormEagle.

#78 MingTheMerciless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Sian

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

Nicely written; definitely capturing the desperation of the fighting and the frantic tactical changes being made by all the involved Houses. Keep it up - despite the (minor) mud-slinging, the reporting has been even-handed and quite objective. Well done.

This is turning out to be a Game of Thrones episode! I disagree with StormEagle's last statement however, it will most definitely NOT get better for House Liao. Am strapping a thermo-nuclear bomb on my mech for that last minute charge into those Davions.

For the Throne! For the Emperor! Burn the Xenos, Purge the Heretic, Kill the Traitors.

(er, wrong universe)

Posted Image

WML

Edit: Typos

Edited by WaiMingLee, 19 January 2016 - 03:02 AM.

#79 Heart of Storm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 155 posts
  • Location[Redacted]

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

Great write up as usual - we managed to take Tsitang off the Davions in EU time, gathering we lost it again in the evening based on this?

#80 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

View Postbeerandasmoke, on 14 January 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

You might be interested to know that Russ announced he is going to split the que in CW. No longer will pugs have to fight organized groups. Thats going to change everything in the south. With pug drops counting right alongside unit drops. The more numbers you have to counter that the better off your going to be.

uhm
that's not what Russ said

Russ said UNIT and non-unit split. Nothing about groups. You can drop group, just not with tags. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users