Dire Wolf Ppc Question

12 replies to this topic

#1 Arcaddes

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

So I am new to the game obviously and went with a Dire Wolf as my first purchased mech. After a few matches I decided to just completely refit it and test out what I can come up with. Now I set it up with 4 med pulse lasers for my primary fire, machine guns for my secondadary to just have a continuous fire weapon that didnt affect my heat, and 2 PPCs and 2 ultra ac/5s for my garunteed heavy hit.

So finally, my questions: the double heat sink equipment. Do those only affect the heat of the weapons you fit them into. Day on my arms I have the med pulse and PPCs, so do the heat sinks in my legs, torso, etc. affect that?

If so, should I just drop the machine guns and just load up with the heat sinks to be able to fire the PPCs more often and lose my no heat weapons?

Any info greatly appreciated.

#2 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

heat sinks effect overall heat, not specific components.
that being said i would drop the machine guns for more heat sinks. PPC's run hot so you want as much cooling as you can get to keep the lasers, PPC's and AC5's firing.
After that it really becomes a matter of getting to know the mech, how many times you can fire the PPC or lasers without overheating, how much heat they generate etc. Use the AC5's to cool off and still be able to put out some hurt.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:27 AM

I agree with Earie, the Dire Wolf is not good for close in work and the Machine Guns have a realy short range, so drop them for ether more heatsinks or more ammo.

the way I would use that build is stick at med-long range, using the ERPPCs and UAC5 (do not get regular AC5, they are more expensive and larger than the UAC5 and the AC5s only advantage is that you cannot jam them, but if you just hold down fire you will never jam with UAC5 anyway). the MPLs should be used at 200-350m, you do not want enemy Mechs getting closer than that, because inside 200m most Mechs are so much faster and more agile than you that they can usualy evade your fire by getting beside/behind you.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 09 January 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#4 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

You want the cooling efficiency to be above 1, optimally around 1.4. The lower you go, the more often your weapons will be useless due to heat. This is why many builds include relatively cool ammo-fed weapons, not just energy.

In case of the Dire Whale, the B variant lets you put 4xUAC5+ERPPC in the torso -- with easy enough cooling and plenty of ammo. If you have a different one, just put 5 UAC5s on it with a few backup lasers. That is a typical build.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostArcaddes, on 09 January 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

So I am new to the game obviously and went with a Dire Wolf as my first purchased mech. After a few matches I decided to just completely refit it and test out what I can come up with. Now I set it up with 4 med pulse lasers for my primary fire, machine guns for my secondadary to just have a continuous fire weapon that didnt affect my heat, and 2 PPCs and 2 ultra ac/5s for my garunteed heavy hit.

So finally, my questions: the double heat sink equipment. Do those only affect the heat of the weapons you fit them into. Day on my arms I have the med pulse and PPCs, so do the heat sinks in my legs, torso, etc. affect that?

If so, should I just drop the machine guns and just load up with the heat sinks to be able to fire the PPCs more often and lose my no heat weapons?

Concerning your DireWhale loadout.
As new player you selected one of the worst possible mechs to be new in. Posted Image
Sorry that it has to be that frank but there you go.
Concerning your loadout, try to create as few firing circuits as possible for the start.
Even most experienced players seldomly use more than 3 different circuits and most builds so not use more than 2.
So use PPC and UAC5 or ACs and Lasers or long and short range lasers or lrms and lasers.

Concerning the heat sinks thing.
I think you got the heatsystem wrong.
Weapons, moving and jumping and some environmental factors produce heat.
Your heatsinks dissipate heat.
The more you have the faster the dissipation.
Heatsinks build into the leggs dissipate heat faster if submerged in water.

#6 Lichee

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

i think dwf will get great performance by 4uac10/2uac10+2uac5+4cml/5uac5

#7 LeeNTien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 126 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 January 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

As new player you selected one of the worst possible mechs to be new in. Posted Image

A couple of friends of mine learned the game in a pair of quad-UAC10-Dires... both of them still consider Whales best mechs in the game O__o'
Their tactic was just push people's cockpits out through their back-armor and carry on going....
But I do agree, that piloting a med or a heavy would be better for leaning the game, aye. Or for solo experience.

Edited by LeeNTien, 09 January 2016 - 10:42 AM.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Hi there, your ER PPCs give you 15 heat each time you fire. Even if you load up your Direwolf with DHS (heat sinks) you'll only be able to dissipate around 3.4 heat per second (rough estimate).

So if you fire (2) ER PPCs for 30 heat it will take nearly 8 seconds to get rid of it. This will be slower on hot maps. If you fire 2 ER PPCs with lasers then you will get more heat than you can really handle even if you are full to the brim with heat sinks.

ER PPCs usually go with Gauss Rifles (which do only 1 heat) or something else that is low heat. Ultra Autocannons are low heat but if you constantly fire them your heat will not go down either.

Try using Large Pulse Lasers instead (they give off 10 heat and do almost the same damage) or try using Gauss Rifles with your ER PPCs.

Others use 5-6 UAC5 or 4 UAC10., I personally go with 2 Gauss Rifles, 2 LPL and 3-4 ERML and I always bring Coolshot consumables, but if you are farming c-bills bringing consumables is a very bad idea.

#9 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

Echo what others have posted:

quad UAC 10
6 uac5
dual ppc dual gaus used to be fantastic... but for some reason we can't have nice things and gaus is f'd
dual LBX20 dual LBX10 is an absolute wrecking machine close range, probably the best for sheer kills in my experience

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

View PostArcaddes, on 09 January 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Tie the MGs to your MPLs.

Remember your primary weapons should be the ER PPCs and the Ultra autocannons.

I have experience with the MG setup on the Dire Wolf and it works surprisingly well even though it really shouldn't. However they should be tied to any sort of low-heat laser solution to get the most out of them. 2 MGs, half a ton of ammo. Comes out to a full ton gained, or if you do DHS you'd get 1 extra heatsink. In the end it works out either way.

#11 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostLeeNTien, on 09 January 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

A couple of friends of mine learned the game in a pair of quad-UAC10-Dires... both of them still consider Whales best mechs in the game O__o'
Their tactic was just push people's cockpits out through their back-armor and carry on going....
But I do agree, that piloting a med or a heavy would be better for leaning the game, aye. Or for solo experience.

He didn't say the DWF is the worst mech in the game. He said it's "the worst mech in the game to be new in"

The DWF is slow, cumbersome, and can break the back of your own team when piloted improperly, which as a new player, you will do a lot of. Case in point, using MGs in a mech that shouldn't/can't practically be in MG range.

This is all fine, it's part of the learning process. We just want you to know that you picked one of the more difficult paths ever as a rookie. So set your expectations accordingly.

There's a reason the single most recommended mech for new players is the Hunchback (with the Stormcrow a close second, Shadowhawk, and Blackjack tied for 3rd place)

#12 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

Warning: if you want to last very long at all DO NOT USE IT

Still, just for fun, look up B33F's Direstar build on YouTube since we are on the topic on the Direwolf and PPCs :)

#13 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

Do this and people will most likely hate you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users