- - - - -

Griffin/shadowhawk/wolverine ?

38 replies to this topic

#1 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Which one for brawling ?

i've watched a lot of vids and read some info and those seem to be the best three out of the IS mechs,
i've tried the lights and heavies but think i'd be better with the mediums.

#2 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:36 AM

I prefer a Cent-AH for brawling over any of the 55 tonners. I just like hitting things with the AC20 and moving really fast. I suppose you could level up the Griffins and then buy a Sparky. Sparky is the only IS 55 tonner that gives you more than 4 Energy hardpoints.

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:38 AM

That depends on YOU, of course. For my part, I despise all three of them--tall as an Atlas, with 45 tons less everything.

Lots of folks like Griffins for SRM brawlers.

Shadow Hawk has some good ballistic builds with that high left torso mount, and still some missile hard points.

Wolverine can do a little bit of everything, and one of its variants is considered among the game's top mechs for its LL quirks.

But again, I hate 'em all. Blackjack is the current hotness in IS mediums. Hunchback is a great LEARNING mech, and decent overall. Centurion is also fun to learn on. Cicada is FAST.

If you simply MUST buy one of those three, then get the Griffin first. Decent hero mech (Sparky), ECM variant available (-2N), great asymmetry on a lot of the builds.

#4 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

I endorse the Griffins, they make wonderful brawlers but can also be adjusted to be pretty vicious long skirmishers.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

For brawling I much prefer the Griffin out of those, SRMs and Lasers, plus great hitboxes for shielding components, many times I have won a 1v1 against an Atlas (allegedly the best Brawler Mech in the game) in a Griffin, I often still have all my weapons intact after those fights.

the way to do it is fire all your weapons then put an arm between you and your opponent, the arms are wide enough that they completely block your torsos from view if you position correctly, then after the arm gets blown off keep doing it, only 40% of the damage gets through to your side torso, assuming you use a Standard engine after the torso is gone only 16% of the damage will get to the Center torso, and as most Griffins have the bulk of there firepower on one side you can keep firing with most of your weapons with 1 each arm, torso and leg missing

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 09 January 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#6 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

I have no experience with Griffins, but I'd say Shadow Hawks and Wolverines are about equal.

SHD and WVR have a very similar feeling geometry -- the arms shield the torso well, and the side torso hit boxes aren't huge. They roll damage very well and are "XL friendly". They can both run lots of SRMs (3 missile hard points on many variants, SHD-2D2 gets four) and different mixtures of ballistics and lasers on top of that.

I'll put Shadow Hawks slightly ahead for two reasons. First, they have those iconic shoulder mounted ballistic hardpoints (energy hardpoints in SHD-2K) which make them IMO better suited for non-brawling roles should you ever want to try that. Second, Shadow Hawks have structure quirks for all components while Wolverines only have them for the gun arm.

(The Shadow Hawk hero has the best structure quirks of all of them -- I haven't tried running it like that, but I bet it'd make a fun brawler running four MPL in the arms and them some mixture of AC and/or SRM's on top of that).

Edited by jss78, 09 January 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:04 AM

Wolverines suck ***. Griffin is the droid you're looking for.

#8 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

I haven't tried the Griffon, but between the Wolverines and the Shadowhawks, I'll take the Shadowhawks. I haven't spent much time in the Wolverines yet, but I just can't find a combo of role and load out in them that clicks. The Shadowhawks have better hardpoint configs (my opinion), and are very XL friendly. They tank damage like a boss (like almost assault class damage soak). Plus I like ballistics.

#9 zudukai

• Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

i would put it this way; shadow hawks can run direct fire, SRM brawl and laser builds and is basically a mixture of both of the other two, since the griffin is more focused on it's missile hard points, with a side course of lasers, and the wolverine focuses more on the direct fire, with it's missile racks as secondary.

Griffin has a variant with ECM, while the Wolverine has a particularly bad variant with MASC, the shadow hawk has neither, but better weapon placement.

IMAGE:

they are all good jump capable medium mechs, with special features that can be tailored to your playstyle, you say brawling? i would steer you toward the Griffin and then the Shadow Hawk before the Wolverine.

Edited by zudukai, 09 January 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#10 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Shadow hawk it is then unless someone can recommend a fast heavy thats not too big.

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostMiljoTonnes, on 09 January 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

Shadow hawk it is then unless someone can recommend a fast heavy thats not too big.

Wait, what? For brawling? You want GRFs. Specifically the 2N and 3M. Those are the two best SRM brawlers the IS has.

#12 LeeNTien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 126 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Griffins - SRM-brawling monsters. With an ECM variant. And a decent wubb-base in the hero. But it's big for a medium. Hard to miss.
Wolverines - Goot point-dmg-dealers, with either a 3-4 LL or double-AC5-spam. But if it loses the right arm - it loses most of it's weapons.
Shadowhawks - good shoulder hardpoint, good mix of variants. Don't have enough experience in it to add anything else.

#13 Legion173

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

I cant offer expert advice like these guys. the only thing I can toss in is watch vids with the Shadowhawk. See if the cannon sticking out near your cockpit bugs you. I got one, I can see the goodness....the giant cannon going off near my face bugs me. I will prob start driving it again after reading these posts. just wanted to throw that out there.

#14 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

I do not have griffins, but prefer the Shadowhawk for dual uac 5 brawling. It means you hafta take a standard engine though, an a small one to have the weight, but it is vicious. Not that the wolverine aint half bad, it's just no Shadowhawk.

~Leone.

#15 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

I got my Shadowhawks with the original Phoenix pack and I played them a lot back then. But since I got my Griffins I haven't even bothered with the SHDs. As a matter of fact, all three are stripped of everything but armor. That left side ballistic hunch just limits vision too much for my tastes.

I would rate the GRF the best for brawling, the WVR the best for skirmishing, and the SHD the best for long range harrassing. Yes, they can all brawl, but the WVR and SHD don't do it as well as the GRF by far.

And the recent WVR that came in the loyalty reward isn't trash, you just have to find the right niche. Great at pokey pokey with a UAC in the right arm. Just completely dump the MASC.

#16 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

I run Woverines as my medium mech. They were fun to master, and depending on variant give me solid results regularly.. however even being biased to the WVR, I will agree with others that it definitely doesn't have an "easy button" like the other two chassis. She can be rewarding, IF you can find a bond with her.

#17 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

I know many people swear by them, but I would stay the hell away from Shadow Hawks, especially if you are brawling. From my experience, the Shadow Hawk basically is a mix of all the negative aspects of both heavy and medium Mechs. And that's say nothing of it's godawful cockpit, which IMHO is hands down the absolute worst cockpit in the entire game. If you are playing on a 4:3 monitor, maybe you won't notice, but if you are playing on a widescreen monitor, you will basically be constrained to playing as if you had a 4:3 monitor.

I haven't played the Wolverines, but I can vouch for the Griffins for brawling (even the Sparky, which is one of my favourite Mechs).

#18 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:19 AM

Shadowhawks were great back in the day, but then they ended up being one of the first mechs to be targeted. Now it iss just that there are other mechs that can do it better.

However, there is still no better ballistic suppression mech than the 3 AC2 Shadowhawk because they are all on one side so peeking around a hill is better than a Jaeger that has to pop up. It also helps that it has JJs. I have plinked many an Atlas to death because I was above him blazing away with AC2s on chain fire. Shakes the heck out of them.

#19 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

Wolverine is the most weird kind of medium mechs but if you manage this one you can manage any of the IS mediums. Success on each of this mech depends on luck more than others.

#20 Smotty

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, best coast

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hands down griffin. I own all 3 mechs you listed (almost all variants for all 3) and the griffin's are just stupid fun.

Edited by Smotty, 10 January 2016 - 01:04 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users