- - - - -

First Mech After First 25 Games

21 replies to this topic

#1 Wilq

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hi all, i just started playing MWO and im finishing my cadet 25 games. I want to buy one of the packs (Marauder or Warhammer) which one would be better?, and one scout mech for ingame cash, which one woud be good to buy in this class?.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

Well you can already try the Raven and the Arctic Cheetah so you can base your opinion around those two. Another one to try would be one of the Firestarters but I forget which variant was good.

As for the packs, the Marauder has already been field tested and it's pretty tough with standard engines when fighting face to face but you tend to lose a side torso very fast if you are hit from the sides. From my experience Marauders are pretty tough mechs to deal with (unless you put an XL engine on it).

Warhammers aren't out yet so it could be hit or miss. PGI will probably tweak this iconic mech into viability if ever it ends up bad due to all the hype around it. There's not enough info to decide which is better so just pick whichever one you want (Marauder has a high ballistic mount and Warhammer has a high missile mount).

Edited by Elizander, 09 January 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

warhamer will be out on Jan. 19th. If you can wait that long, wait, if not, buy marauders.
Marauders are tanky and overall a solid chassi, you will not go wrong with them.
As for the warhammer, we have to wait until they're in the game, paper stats are looking promising so far, tho.

As for the light mech, ravens are good scouts and peekaboo lights, 3L, 2X and 4X are good mechs, The Hero raven is a bit suicial but still fun to play.

#4 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

It is hard to recommend one over the other as the Warhammer is still in preorder. I do however own the Marauder pack, and it is possible to make good builds with them if you use them right.

Personally, I tend to play with the heavier mechs, so others might have better advice than me regarding the lights. Again, how you play is important. I’ve done quite a few 800+ dmg rounds on Locust, Raven and Kit Fox lately, but unless you snipe you’d keep those legs moving. Learning when to move in and when to fall back is key element, especially with the locust. The Cheater isn’t called that for no reason, but I don’t own one myself, and I assume it will get some adjustments some time soon.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

MAD or WHM? Depends on your preferred style. If you're a mid-to-long range kind of player, MAD is likely the better candidate. If you're more of a short-to-mid range skirmisher/brawler, I think WHM is going to be the better pick. You'll just have to wait another 9 or 10 days for it.

Russ streamed a sneak peek at the WHM Friday, and it's looking REALLY good. Confirmed that the -6R will be quirked for PPCs, and the Black Widow will be quirked for ballistics. No certain word on the other two. LOOKED LIKE there were some significant quirks aside from weapons, but it was still a test build too. Nonetheless, no other mech says BATTLETECH like the Warhammer, so if they're going to get JUST ONE mech right in this game, that's it. But the relatively low hard points across the board (save the RT missile one, and the L/R torso points on one variant with 3 M hard points) mean it's going to be outclassed at range in many cases.

As for scouts, there are a lot of good choices. Go look at the lights and fast mediums in the cadre of Trial mechs, and see if anything there grabs you.

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

am i right assuming that op wants to build a deck out of 3 heavies and a light scout mech?
If so, bear in mind that you have to use an IS battle'mech light for your deck. That means no clan omni'mech (Omnipod system build, light the cheetah) nor the new clan battle'mech light Jenner IIC.
Likewise, if you do want to build a deck for Clanside, neither marauders nor warhammers will work.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

the Marauder is great, but as the others have said as there is still more than a week till the Warhammer comes out we cannot realy recomend it yet, it could be better than the Marauder but we will not know until it has been out for a week or more

as for Scouts, do you want a scout to look for the enemy, do you want a spotter to provide locks for missiles or do you want a skirmisher/harrasser, a fast MEch with a lot of firepower?

for Scouting the Spider is, in my opinion the best (really fast, hard to hit, can jump, and can mount ECM on 1 variant) however the Spider is the least heavily armed Mech in the game with the Raven taking second place, for a spotter the Raven is best due to the fact that it can take NARC on all varients, with the Spider coming close behind thanks to its mobility.

if you are after a harasser then the Firestarter, Jenner or Arctic Cheetah would be best.

#8 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

View PostLOADED, on 09 January 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

am i right assuming that op wants to build a deck out of 3 heavies and a light scout mech?
If so, bear in mind that you have to use an IS battle'mech light for your deck. That means no clan omni'mech (Omnipod system build, light the cheetah) nor the new clan battle'mech light Jenner IIC.
Likewise, if you do want to build a deck for Clanside, neither marauders nor warhammers will work.

Asuming OP are playing CW that is. If he only quick drop this does not matter, and it could be ok to get some feel of the other teams tech. He could also drop with trial machs for the time being, if he just wants to try out CW.

Also remember, if he buy one of these packs they come with included MechBays, so he would still have 4 MBs to play in.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

If the OP likes the trial Raven and the sniping playstyle, then go for that mech and build. The nice thing about the Raven 3L is that the ECM can really save your bacon sometimes. If you just want to go fast, then I'd recommend either the Spider 5D or the Commando 2D. However, I must say that with the caveat that while they both have ECM neither one packs as much punch as a Firestarter or Jenner.

While lights are nice and they will really help you learn the maps, they can be very challenging to get the most out of. In a heavy or assault, if you shut down due to heat, it's not usually the end of the world, however in light shutting down due to overheating is most likely a death sentence.

Also, in a light it is critical to never stop moving for long, if at all.

Whatever you decide, welcome to MWO. Hope to see you on the battlefield.

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

So, there are plenty of good lights out there, an a few have indeed been mentioned. But tell me, do you like playing hardmode? Like hanging onto life by a slim thread, narrowly evading death by sheer speed? If so, perhaps the locust is the mech for you! As the tinniest mech out there the locust gets no quarter, but doesn't hafta give any as well. The 1E is oft touted as the most vicious, but all of em can be fun.

As for getting a pack, I'mma hafta say try the Marauder, we know it's a good mech, and you'll get it now. However, if like some, you find the Warhammer to be more iconic, it's not that far off.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 10 January 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#11 Wilq

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:00 AM

Thank for all tips. For light mech i was thinking short/medium range harasser.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostWilq, on 10 January 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

in that case I suggest Jenner for speed and agility with good firepower, Firestarter or Arctic Cheetah for maximum firepower and good durability.

If you are planning on joining in faction play I would avoid the Arctic Cheetah because that is a Clan Mech and you are going for an Inner Sphere heavy. of you are not worried about faction play ignore that last sentience.

#13 Wilq

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:10 AM

Ok im past my 25 games, wanna buy firestarted but i dont see any buyable only for blue credits, all need to be bought using mechcredits.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:13 AM

View PostWilq, on 10 January 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

Ok im past my 25 games, wanna buy firestarted but i dont see any buyable only for blue credits, all need to be bought using mechcredits.

go to the store, Battlemechs, Light, then expand Firestarter, you can buy most of them for MC or Cbills (the blue currency) they have both prices listed but you can use ether

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 January 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#15 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:35 AM

I highly recommend the Ember mastery pack as well. Best light mech in the game IMHO.

#16 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostWilq, on 10 January 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Definitely the Ember Mastery Pack! :)

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

View PostJohn Archer, on 10 January 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

Definitely the Ember Mastery Pack! Posted Image

Ember isn't worth it, i'd go for the S with 5 MPL and A with 7 SPL for cbills.

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, I hear very few good things about the Ember, compared to the other FS9s. BUT, some folks love their oddballs and do some incredible stuff in them.

Firestarter IS, Ember or not, THE top IS light mech for anything other than long-range harassment/sniping. If that's what you want to do, the only other light even roughly comparable to it is the OP-AF Arctic Cheetah.

#19 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

The Raven 4X is a great long range harassing mech.

#20 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 10 January 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

I highly recommend the Ember mastery pack as well. Best light mech in the game IMHO.

I agree ember starter pack gets you some solid Firestarter builds. You can also pair a Firestarter or raven with three Mads and get 260 tons for community warfare.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users