- - - - -

Is Owning 4 Mechs A Must For Cw?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:15 AM

I'm interested to run community warfare but I only own a few mechs. Really only 1-2 equipped mechs.

I hear you need to own 4 mechs or you will drag down the team. True or false?

Also, when doing CW, if you belong to house Liaos in my case, can I use clan mechs?

If no clan mechs allowed, am I allowed to use simply any IS mechs or only the ones manufactured by liaos?

Thanks for answering!

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

I'm interested to run community warfare but I only own a few mechs. Really only 1-2 equipped mechs.

I hear you need to own 4 mechs or you will drag down the team. True or false?

Also, when doing CW, if you belong to house Liaos in my case, can I use clan mechs?

If no clan mechs allowed, am I allowed to use simply any IS mechs or only the ones manufactured by liaos?

Thanks for answering!

4 mechs is generally an advantage because you would've mastered them or at least elited them. Much higher efficiency per mech, plus you can throw in modules and consumables like UAV or arty/airstrike. It does make a difference.

You cannot use clan mechs if you are in Inner Sphere, and the reverse is also true. However, you may use any mech of the Inner Sphere if you are in the Inner Sphere, and any Clan mech if you are in a Clan.

#3 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

Hello there!

I'll try to make this short:
  • If you play for IS (InnerSphere) you HAVE to take IS only mechs (same applies to Clans)
  • Mechs are not (yet) attached to houses, so if you play Liao, for now you can take any IS mech even if it is a Davion mech
  • You need to have 4 mechs and taking 2 owned ones and 2 trials might not help the team as much. Reasons behind it are: By using a trial, you haven't unlocked any skills (Basic, Elite, Master). Any mech with unlocked Basic skills is less agile and less efficient than a mech with Basic skills unlocked
  • This doesn't mean you can't take 2 trial mechs, you can. You just won't help the team as much as you could with mechs you have personalized and upgraded/skilled

Edited by FlipOver, 12 January 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#4 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:35 AM

Thanks alot guys. Its good to know you can take ANY IS mechs.

Flip mentioned for now mechs are not attached to houses. Will this change in future?

Also, out of curiosity, do players doing CW commonly take 4 of the same mech with the exact same load out? It seems to make sense players would specialize at 1-2 particular mechs?

Edited by Eillot Dayes, 12 January 2016 - 01:44 AM.

#5 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:40 AM

Honestly? No there is no massive advantage to bringing 4 owned or trial mechs to CW apart from the mastery bonus (Which was reduced anyways a short while ago).

If you play well with Trial mechs and work WITH the team and dont soloderp into the enemy (ie. Wait for all 12 of your teammates to die and respawn before any new push) then you have already mastered 90% of what is needed to be successful in CW. The player skill is also not improved by owning a mech, it is something which needs to be trained through trial and error.

My advice would be to search for the TS your faction uses and group up with others. Inform them, that half of your dropdeck is Trials, but that you will be sticking with the team and they should be fine. If not, then find a better group instead of a bunch of douches. :)

#6 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:58 AM

Trialmech:..No Consumabels, No advanced Zoom, no Seismic modules...No weapon modules?

Just 4 Mechs? No adjustment for the differrent maps possibel.

I think you need aprox 8 mechs wich are customised and full equiped for CW.

When you do min 1000 dmg each game in CW...Your dropdeck is OK...Else...change your Setup.

And..NEVER bring LRM into CW. Just defence on Boreal Vault can bee LRM friendly.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:02 AM

Part of the fun comes with building your own decks, the deciding factor and in CW is teamplay (of course you will need personal skill).

As you may know, there is absolute no matchmaking in CW, therefor you will need every advantage you can get.

Building up your deck, or better said decks (yes, different decks for different maps and tactics) as well as developing your hardskills (aim, twisting) and softskills (tactics, groupplay, mech knowlegde, map layout) is all part of the game.

Only an idiot would claim that you let your team down by not having your own deck yet.
If you try to win, if you try to play with your team you provide everything your teammates can ask for.

The sole fact that you actually did come to the forum and asked these questions already tells my that you will not let your team down.

welcome aboard 'mechwarrior.

#8 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:08 AM

View PostLOADED, on 12 January 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

The sole fact that you actually did come to the forum and asked these questions already tells my that you will not let your team down.

welcome aboard 'mechwarrior.

A most encouraging message, thank you.

For the rest, I have a new question.

CW sounds like its gonna be 'blood on the floor'. Is it then necessary, and a must, that players only take the heaviest tonnage mechs with the largest amount of firepower to have a chance at winning?

Personally I love light mechs, my favourite is the raven 3L. But I'm a little worried such a light mech is underwhelming for CW.

So my new question is are light mechs viable for CW? Do players even take light mechs into CW at all? OR do everyone roll out with only heavy/assault mechs ?

#9 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:21 AM

Dropleader require sometimes Lights.
But never on the first wave pls. Exception..Lightrush ordered with 12 Lights at the start.

#10 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Thanks alot guys. Its good to know you can take ANY IS mechs.

Restrained to a certain overall tonnage...

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:25 AM

Generally, at the start of a match, you will face 12 fresh enemy mechs. You and your team will need a bit or armor to withstand.

When you bring which mech is very situational.
I've seen all assault decks rolling over the enemy as well as all lights decks backstabbing an entire attack push.

Lights have their place in CW, i am personally running 1-2 raven 4X (which is very similar to a 3L) on boreal and helebore (two open maps) and sometimes on grim as well.

Just look at your enemy, and look at your own team. Ask yourself, does my team could use a 3L? Ecm cover, rear sniping and harrassing? if the answer is yes, a 3L would be good.

#12 Leartes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

CW sounds like its gonna be 'blood on the floor'. Is it then necessary, and a must, that players only take the heaviest tonnage mechs with the largest amount of firepower to have a chance at winning?

Personally I love light mechs, my favourite is the raven 3L. But I'm a little worried such a light mech is underwhelming for CW.

So my new question is are light mechs viable for CW? Do players even take light mechs into CW at all? OR do everyone roll out with only heavy/assault mechs ?

It is a good idea to roughly fill out your dropship tonnage. If you want to bring a raven that is fine, you could pair it up with 3 marauders or similarly heavy combinations. Imo the trial king crab is not bad on defence, so that could fill out a lot of tonnage as well.

Heavies are kings in cw. Mediums tend to be good and lights can be good if you know what you are doing and cooperate well with your team. Assaults can be good as well, but generally I find it hard to get the most out of slow weapon platforms.

EDIT:
Just give it a shot and see how it goes. Important stuff is:
- stick with your team
- regroup between waves, don't go anywhere dangerous if you are not with the majority of your team.
- focus fire = shoot what everyone is shooting
- don't stop in chokepoints

Edited by Leartes, 12 January 2016 - 02:37 AM.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:54 AM

View PostLeartes, on 12 January 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

It is a good idea to roughly fill out your dropship tonnage.

I do not disagree with this, but if for example you are great with lights and mediums but hopeless with assault Mechs you would be disadvantaging yourself by taking heavier Mechs which you are not good with.

ultimately unless your group has a specific strategy which was planned out in advance and want you to take certain roles (it does happen if you are playing with an organized group) in which case working with the plan will likely be more useful than playing your best Mechs, you are almost always better off going with your "best" Mechs regardless of weather or not that fills most of your available tonnage.

unfortunately the weight limits prevents you from taking 4 Lights or 4 assaults but provided it fits within the limits take whatever you do best with.

#14 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:57 AM

At the beginning I played only lights and for a long time I took a trial banshee to CW to meet min. weight restrictions. You can take a trial to CW, just leave it for the last, when the match is often decided anyway. Also, play with those trials a bit before, to check if they work for you and how they handle.

Just treat it as an introduction to CW. Take weekly contracts and jump between factions to gather mechbays and make your own deck. Also, some mechs that work well in quick play struggle in CW and vice versa.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

Are lights... viable?

O_O For the swarm!

It's a little more complicated to win now, but lights are extremely viable for overwhelming an enemy force swiftly before they can get into a defensive position.

Edited by Koniving, 12 January 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#16 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

IMO the only thing to avoid in CW is the slowest mechs (like Dire Wolf) unless you are in a unit that coordinates drops before the match. With 12 vs 12 you generally need some speed to make it into position for attacking or responding to the enemy push.

My Tukayyid 2 drop deck wasn't the best but I could usually help out the team with the speed and weaponry I brought. Two Wolfhounds (killed many Timberwolves with CT back shots) and two Zeus (fast and durable, lots of guns).

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:18 AM

View PostSpetulhu, on 12 January 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

IMO the only thing to avoid in CW is the slowest mechs (like Dire Wolf) unless you are in a unit that coordinates drops before the match.

Defense. Dire Wolves for defense.

This isn't CW, but you can see how effective it can be as an area of denial mech. And before people say "Silly Koniving, Gauss Rifles are for noobs," welp.. >.> Here.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:21 AM

Also reminded of something important: Do not (for now) click "Pledge Loyalty." Instead, click X days you want to be allied to a unit. It's expensive to change, and right now there isn't a difference between merc and faction units. AFTER Phase 3 there apparently will be, but for now there isn't.

#19 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:04 AM

One thing to note that if you are just pugging solo then anything can happen. While the ideal is everyone put out a Heavy/Assault on the first drop, most random pugs will have the odd Commando, Raven or whatever in the first wave as well.

It's hard to carry a CW match to victory especially if you are new, so focus on being able to deal good damage/component kills with your first few mechs. There is a time limit and more than once I've not been able to do anything with my 3rd or 4th mech so drop with your best one to begin with and hope you do well.

If you really are comfortable and good with light mechs, just bring whatever you like. Only when you join a group of people to queue for CW will anyone really ask you to bring something else.

Trial Mechs are okay. They are not the best but they are better than unupgraded newly purchased mechs. People will tell you not to go to CW until you are ready or whatever, but you need to do that to get some mech bays and such anyway. Just don't get too frustrated if you don't win too often. If you do well enough the payout will be alright even on a loss.

#20 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

@Elizander

Thanks so much for advise and everyone else too. I am learning so much just from the info here.

I noticed a few mentioned there is a tonnage limit to CW. Is it fixed? How much is it? That way I can plan better on which 4 i can take?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users