109 replies to this topic

#21 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

as the H9 hill seems to be viewed as an advantageous position lets make both teams spawn equal distances from it, perhaps have one team spawn in the lower base, I5/J5 and the other in C7/D7. however having perhaps 10 possible spawn locations scattered around the map would also be good.

also I know this was not part of the question but Alpine used to have much more interesting locations for conquest,
having one of the largest maps with only 9 grids usualy used in the conquest game mode seems such a waste
I would suggest moving the Conquest cap points to something like
G4, H12, I7, K5, K11,
to encourage the use of more of the map for that mode.

#22 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:33 PM

Other folks are hashing out where the spawns ought to be, so I won't bother with that

I do hope however that the character/flow of the current conquest layout gets preserved; the 'lower' part of the map actually isn't so bad and it's nice to have a good reason to fight down there as opposed to around the big mountain all the time.

#23 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

MAKE THE SPAWN POINTS RANDOMIZED. AT EVERY MAP.

THE END OF STORY.

This simple and cheap measure will make the gaming process x10 interesting.

#24 McBrahman

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

Keep spawns left of the "8"-line; and may be all action as well. (Away from Montain of death, source of all evil in this map)

Conquest points as close together as possible, may be on each corner of a smaller hill (no line of sight, short way, intensive fights)

Dont randomise too much. Game needs structure for teambuilding. Is that booring? maybe sometimes but on the other hand if half the team knows whats going on, thats a start for a good game.
If too much random, outcome (win/loss) will get more or totaly random as well.

Complicated, not simple structured, and big Maps are not good for puplic games.

Dont spread startingpoints too much. You need to group.
Dont let the Assaults spawn on any flank, they dont like long ways an keep everyone waiting (if the others do wait...).

#25 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

By the way, the conqest is the best mode at Alpine, because it is the single mode that doesn't require fighting for H9 hill.

Tina, in fact we have great problems with every map. Their territories are large, but only 10% is used. All the fights go according to the same scenario.

Spawn location should be placed so they encourage players to use different parts of the maps and different tactics. That's why randomized locations are the finest solution.

#26 Knaven86

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

I endorse randomized spawn locations for maps.... I hope if they're implemented they they take into consideration that when adding dropships to the map like they've done with the other map rebuilds, there could be a lot of issues... For example, dropships being too close to enemy team at some point, causing start of game dropship damage. Of course, I never really understood why they even had lasers on the dropships during quick/groupplay matches.

#27 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

i like the idea of this topic. keep it functional and informative. add arguments for your pov. then we can have a nice and productive talk :

Since the real problem people have with this map is the hill where most of the fights will take place...we need to try to avoid this. Putting the hill in middle of the spawn points in skirmish/assault will lead to the same tactic regardless of how you place those points. What I suggest is to make that mountain a secondary scene for fight and place the spawns somewhere so they are not centered on that hill. I know you said only the spawns will be moved...but i think that base location for assault can be moved aswell without changing anything on the map..as in buildings or roads. One problem with having the base in g11 is that it can be covered from the top of the hill..both as defender or attacker. you would want to change that so keeping the hill will have less or no strategic importance for the G11 base.

I propose 2 variants :

1. Move the base from G11 to E8 for reds and from G5 to M7 for blue. and the spawns like this.

Posted Image

Keeping the mountain will have no meaning if others go cap the red base. Depending of strategy the fights can be done in a lot of places.

2. Move the red base in K12 and the blue base in F5 (unfortunatelly in F5 there is nothing to justify the base there..but just for the sake of better spawns.) Again - keeping the hill will have less meaning, although more than in the first case. More - the H12 hill willstart to be important and I foresee a lot of different strategies for the assault mode.

Posted Image

#28 Mahnmut

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

It would prefer if they just flattened the whole H9 hill. It would solve a lot of problems.

#29 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:01 AM

For the conquest mode I would keep a high interest area with 2 cap points closer to each other so they will be the focus point of the slow mechs (and since its a big map you want this high interest area..otherwise ppl will cry when in a slow mech....if we spread too much the cap points.)

maybe something like this :

Posted Image

or more spread :

Posted Image

they said at the moment will only move spawns....so keep it on topic pls.

#30 Thanatos31

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationEnroute to Terra

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

View PostTarogato, on 01 September 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

This is, in my opinion, this simplest way to vastly improve gameplay in Mechwarrior Online: multiple sets of spawns and base locations per map. Just like how the matchmaker chooses a random map each match, it would also choose one of the various configuration possibilities. We've been playing the same configurations on the same maps for years... it's starting to get old. We need a breath of fresh air and variety.

I'll start each section by posting what the original/default configurations are for that map and mode, and then my own crafted alternate configurations will follow. One of the primary goals of this project is to force engagements to happen in locations of the map(s) that aren't well utilised by the current spawn configurations in the game. I've carefully crafted each configuration with balance in mind - making sure that lance spawns are equidistant from primary objectives plus each other and that terrain features don't interrupt balance between sides too much. In other words, I didn't just plop icons onto maps, I thought this through and put a lot of hours into it, including running around the maps in a Locust and making sure many of the spawns and bases were well placed.

Also, paging Paul Inouye. This idea was introduced to Thad Jantzi some months ago, and this was his response:

Alpine Peaks:

Assault:
Spoiler

Conquest:
Spoiler

Skirmish:
Spoiler

I may devise configurations for other maps if there is any interest. River City comes to mind.

#31 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:22 AM

Without making specific suggestions: I would like to (somehow) keep the conquest points in a tight cluster. This gave the map a special play style in conquest, which I like.

As a general question: Is there a way, that the community can vote for different suggestions made?
Tina, could you open a poll with the ideas out of this thread, which Most acceptable by PGI, where we could vote for our preferred spawns? (For Conquest, Assault and Skirmish)
Would let us see which variants are even possible to get through you and putting them into one post could let the people see the idea, whichout browsing multiple pages. Additional you won't need to "count likes" to see which ideas are liked by the community :)

#32 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:38 AM

Stop putting ******* assaults away from the rest of the ******* team already.

#33 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:58 AM

Even just change the spawn point - a new experience on the map, good job PGI. )

Assault mode: i vote on 4 variant assault version Tarogato http://mwomercs.com/...spawn-variants/

For 100% new experience :
1. Make spawn - dropships.
2. Top of the mountain - forbidden area. And under the mountain - tunnel\arch for flanking and surprise attacks ) Posted Image

example: Posted Image

Skirmish mode: same spawnpoint.

p.s.: forbidden area on mountain can be done through natural causes - to replace a flat top at the sharp peaks.

Edited by Volkodav, 14 January 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#34 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:47 AM

Here are my suggestions.

I tried to spread the spawnpoint concerning two points:
- reducing the number of King-Of-The-Hill-Drops
- encourage some tactical movement instead of instant death-balling

In order to make my unsymmetrical Spawn point work, the lance that starts alone needs to be th light lance, so the guys have the choice if they want to run and unite with the team or engage.

Posted Image

Edited by Cyrilis, 14 January 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#35 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:12 AM

we will not be planning to make any adjustment to the current Alpine Peak map except, for the Spawn Locations.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP MAKE SUGGESTIONS THAT DO NOT IMPLY MAP CHANGES.

#36 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:32 AM

Let me try to change this map (privat), just try.
I have the experience.

#37 FREDtheROLF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:11 AM

Maybe there is a way to NOT fix the spawn points.

The spawn point could be random or semi random (preselected locations). following some basic rules.

- All lances drop right next to each other (max 1 square apart)
- both teams drop in a min distance of 6 squares.

For skirmish this would require real scouting and will break the routine of
"Its this map lets go to pos X as we always do".

FtR

Edited by FREDtheROLF, 14 January 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#38 padebra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:28 AM

I don't know how this can go. I would try this first if it was my job. Alpine can really use some "cover cluster" area with simple tall buildings or rocks (like in river's water).

if I had only one elevation change to make, I would get ride of sharp edges in H10/I10 area to help assault navigate and climb

Posted Image

#39 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 13 January 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

The problem is that wherever you place the spawns, the fight will end up centralizing to one point. If you make the spawns randomized than fights become for more unpredictable. There's more on-your-feet thinking and matches get a lot more lively.

^^^ So much this. And I don't even care if its equal - it will come back around eventually. It would be a good test map too, because if you randomize all the spawn points, you make old maps new again (like Terra on Conquest).

Even better would be randomizing the LANCE drops so that you are dropped in between hostile lances and have to fight your way to hook back up with your main body. It would really make scouting useful too.

#40 gaSyeraSS

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

Spawn Location for Skirmish
Posted Image

Edited by gaSyeraSS, 14 January 2016 - 06:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users