95 replies to this topic

#61 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 15 January 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

LOL, I hope this post is sarcasm.... otherwise i could report the people who can't aim or can't hold their laser on target even a micro second after firing....

It is. I just like to troll the forums in between drops. It's my mini game. How many arguements can start between matches? So far, just one.

#62 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostTB Xiomburg, on 15 January 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

LOL, I love seeing people whine about LRMs being useless, then explain that they did nothing to help harness the weapon capabilities of their team.

It is the same old whine, if you don't play my way you suck. It is so funny that they cant think outside there very small box on play style.

Sooo.... Just how long am I supposed to stand in front of an enemy target with the "R" button? You can't always maintain line of sight long enough for an LRM boat to lock on and let loose.

#63 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Hello Mr. Tier 1 Meta Elitist.

Please, first allow me to congratulate you on coming back from your break. It must have been hard not playing a game that frustrates you to the point of whining and trolling on the forums. We do realize that your life would not be complete without it.

Secondly, NO. Just stop. Some people have play styles that aren't meta-friendly. Those people don't care about your meta and wish to participate in their own way.

#64 H I A S

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 15 January 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

lmao so hitting R while fighting is too difficult.

lmao so tank all the damage while holding the lock for you is suicide.

#65 Exterminan

• Pip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

What defines a lrm boat? Is it the amount of missiles it has, the amount of alternative weapons (or lack thereof) that it has? Or is it purely the playstyle of the pilot?

MWO rewards "Safe" gameplay - and newer players see LRMs as the ultimate safe weapon. They remain as covered as possible while raining down fire outside of LOS. As they gain experience and play for a while one of two things will happen - either they will learn the ins and outs of LRM use, and become a deadly LRM user or they will realize that LRMs are not as easy to use as they once thought and move to different weapon setups.

Either way, your concerns are answered for that individual player, its just the newer ones that will continue to use the hide and depend on spotter techniques. It might be worthwhile to add the different weapons to the introductory tutorial so they can at least hear/learn the nuances - even if most will ignore them at least they had the opportunity.

#66 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostDjPush, on 15 January 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Sooo.... Just how long am I supposed to stand in front of an enemy target with the "R" button?

You? Until you die.

Everyone else? Eh, I just expect them to do what they can, but not sacrifice themselves for it. It always amazes me that people think asking for locks is a demand for suicidal play. I mean, when your wife asks you to pick something up from the store, if it's getting robbed when you get there I don't think she expects you to fight off the robber simply so you can pay for your stuff and go. I swear, people are dense.

Edited by Escef, 15 January 2016 - 08:20 AM.

#67 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 15 January 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Please, first allow me to congratulate you on coming back from your break. It must have been hard not playing a game that frustrates you to the point of whining and trolling on the forums. We do realize that your life would not be complete without it.

Secondly, NO. Just stop. Some people have play styles that aren't meta-friendly. Those people don't care about your meta and wish to participate in their own way.

LRMs aren't meta unfriendly, they're ****.

#68 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 15 January 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Haha! Meta Elitist? Out of 140 some mechs, not one of them is meta. Hardly an elitist either. What I do expect is players in tiers 2 and 1 to know better than to stand back at 900 meters and wait for locks.

LRM boats have their place in this game. I don't disagree with that. However, they require support. They need a mech on their team that is dedicated to finding them targets. Otherwise, you are just XXX amount of tons wandering around waiting for stuff to happen.

If you're flying solo, don't bring a Stalker with five LRM15's and a TAG. It's a bad build! You put 2 LRM15's some SRMs and lasers on it. At least this way you can still fight when you can't use the LRMs.

Edited by DjPush, 15 January 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#69 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

View Postarivio, on 15 January 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

lmao so tank all the damage while holding the lock for you is suicide.

Ok so it seems like you only want this game to be played in one specific way..... YAY!! thanks for being part of the problem with MWO!!!!!

#70 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostDjPush, on 14 January 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

Seriously. Can I report LRM boats for non-participation? I have lost the last 4 matches in a row because half the team is sitting in the backfield lobbing LRMs. Half of which are missing target because they lose lock during the 900 meter travel time of each missile barage.

Seriously folks.. You're a liability relying on just LRMs to get your damage in.

No, you can't.

Didn't you recently vow to stay away from the game for a while because it was getting you too riled-up? Breaks can be good for the soul, ya know.

#71 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 15 January 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

Ok so it seems like you only want this game to be played in one specific way..... YAY!! thanks for being part of the problem with MWO!!!!!

Your welcome.

#72 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

@OP

You just need to get with the pros. A skilled LRMer always has your back and does the heavy damage. PGI has made working LRM mechs fairly problematic especially with Clan tech, but if you push the extreme edge LRMs can still work. I figure this is what PGI had planned tho.

There is a lot of missile-hate out there though. The 'get your own locks' mentality is the weirdest one since it will cost your team the win usually. People are blind to the work LRMs do for the team since LRMs get lots of assists and most damage dealt, but not the K.

The correct location for an LRM mech is right behind the main team or actively flanking as a decoy though. It's not sitting off on a distant hill.

#73 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 15 January 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

The correct location for an LRM mech is right behind the main team or actively flanking as a decoy though. It's not sitting off on a distant hill.

Absolutely! Not a single person has bothered to realise that throughout this thread. Not only that but you need to have other weapons to fight with in your load out.

#74 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostDjPush, on 15 January 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Absolutely! Not a single person has bothered to realise that throughout this thread. Not only that but you need to have other weapons to fight with in your load out.

True. The trick is to do both direct-fire well and LRMs well at the same time. The direct-fire is what kills what the LRMs soften up. It used to be pretty easy to do this, but now I think most players really struggle to have LRMs do anything so they boat them. In truth for LRMs to work you need the target to be facing you, so likely shooting you. Then the LRMs are magic.

#75 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

The typically LRMBob let his Team do the work for him, because its a Teamgame

I'm gonna have to remember that the next time I'm in the middle of my team, lobbing shots over cover to finish off that cherry target the team tore up before he gets away to do it again.

Oh, wait. You're talking about the ones that don't even know enough to flip their sights up to flick missiles over cover, fire half their ammo outside 700m+, and think enemy fire is everyone else's problem. That 5-10 more LRM tubes or another ton of ammo > having some lasers to burn a target with for extra damage/close combat.

It is incredibly easy to be bad with LRMs.

#76 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

Some mentality I can get behind: correct positioning, playing the role properly
Some mentality I can't get behind: lrn2play lrms suck

#77 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

#78 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

The LRMs have definitely come out in force this weekend.

I have seen what DjPush is talking about too. People just sitting as far away as they can whole still being in LRM range.

Can't report sadly. They are ehhh...kinda contributing...so :(.

In any case, it is what it is I guess :/

#79 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

First, I´d like to state that, on occasions, I _do_ mound some LRMs. Not exclusively, but more in a support role (I _love_ my GRF-2N with 4 LRM-5 and 2 LL, for example).

Second, like the OP stated in his second (or third?) post, LRMs _do_ have their place (Note here: If they were truly and completely useless, this would be a sign that they need some _serious_ buffing. They _are_ an available weapons system and _every_ weapons system should be useful in some way), but they need to be used correctly (and yes, I am still struggling with that).

The thing is, @Exterminam got it exactly right. You have to start learning _somewhere_.
When I used LRMs for the first time, of _course_ I hung back 800 to 900m. That´s what the "effective range" told me to do, after all.
Only after the first few matches (with _horrible_ damage numbers) did I realize that this probably isn´t such a good idea.

Nowadays, I am closer in, try to stay with the team and support the big boys with laser and LRM fire.
I often launch a single salvo or two at someone, just to force him into cover, lessening the return-fire my team faces and I can´t count the times, where a heavy or assault stepped in front of me when I was engaging an enemy medium or heavy with my lasers and thanks heaven I was able to at least keep peppering that enemy with my LRMs and keep dealing a little damage, but more importantly, could take his vision with the constant explosions.

Note: All of the above is an "ideal scenario". As I said, I am still struggling, but that is what I aim for.

#80 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 15 January 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

The LRMs have definitely come out in force this weekend.

I have seen what DjPush is talking about too. People just sitting as far away as they can whole still being in LRM range.

Can't report sadly. They are ehhh...kinda contributing...so Posted Image.

In any case, it is what it is I guess :/

Its not their fault that missiles tend to get the most damage on kills.These events have a downfall regarding people that can aim. If you are good at aiming, it allows you to carry a decent k:d ratio with low damage. Especially if you XL check often and if you are carry an AC20 or Gauss. Any red ST or CT is yours for the taking.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users