So What Happened To The Command Wheel Feature?

HUD General

30 replies to this topic

#1 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

This was and still is one of the biggest team play features this game is missing, if you exclude map objectives.... , It was talked a lot during the VOIP campaign but it died down quickly.

Some one with twitter needs to remind Russ we still want and need this in, as the current go to battle grid select lance-> select sign place it and do it two times more so everyone can see it is not cutting it , I haven't seen it used in 3 months even once , and many times it might have helped to know a lance will go that way for no apparent reason and so on, and yes Voip helps but not everyone has it on, is good at english or is paying attention when you are telling them something.

Hell, even just map pings would be welcome, so if it's not too much trouble let's get this ball rolling again this year.

#2 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

Well, apparently separating new and casual players from the big bad 12-man bogeymen farmers in CW is much easier than building tools for coordinating players in a fight. Posted Image

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

People wanted Voip much more. because Voip was going to save the day.... So they worked on Voip.... And surprisingly it didn't have the effect people thought it would.

A command wheel won't solve that either some people just don't want to work as a team

#4 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:02 AM

True, but it would help, until PvE is in, as the only BT inspired game out there we will have a lot of people who came to look for mechwarrior 5 and found this, but that is hardly a reason not to implement this feature.

LoL didn't start with feature ether , and even though it's in not everyone uses it, but it does see a lot of use, more so in high level pug play just because is convenient, fast and easy to use and understand.

Do I expect it to change everything to the next level.. sadly no, but I do expect that it would help things as much as another of the many features we are still waiting on.

#5 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:14 AM

What exactly will command wheel do that VoIP won't?

#6 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:18 AM

A picture is worth 1000 words.

the command wheel has potential to shave off a few seconds compared to barking orders on VOIP. And since mechs die in less then 5 seconds that can be invaluable.

also I imagine theres a psychological tendency for players (pugs especially) to respond more to commands/icons that pop up on their HUD/minimap as opposed to VOIP orders.

Edited by Khobai, 16 January 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#7 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 16 January 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

People wanted Voip much more. because Voip was going to save the day.... So they worked on Voip.... And surprisingly it didn't have the effect people thought it would.

A command wheel won't solve that either some people just don't want to work as a team

I'm happy for the voip I use it every pug game even just for basic stuff "uav up" , "theyre behind us". But I don't waste my time taking command of pugs.

#8 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 January 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

I'm happy for the voip I use it every pug game even just for basic stuff "uav up" , "theyre behind us". But I don't waste my time taking command of pugs.

Which is OK depending on how many people have it turned on.... Or understand you... Or even care.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 16 January 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

Which is OK depending on how many people have it turned on.... Or understand you... Or even care.

Maybe it just makes me feel better lol.

It would be cool if the time we were waiting for a drop the commander could use it to draw on the map the plan. Issue I have now when I take command I only have time to give 1 direction and then everything goes to ts after this.

#10 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

even if its just a spin wheel where holding down q or r lets a commander select an enemy for focus fire, or select a sequence of enemies to kill in what order (semi sorta like what WoW has, with its triangle, circle, skull, cross, etc) would be SUPER helpful.

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

View Postgrievoussmaug, on 16 January 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

even if its just a spin wheel where holding down q or r lets a commander select an enemy for focus fire, or select a sequence of enemies to kill in what order (semi sorta like what WoW has, with its triangle, circle, skull, cross, etc) would be SUPER helpful.

Useful yes, helpful maybe.
People can still ignore it :-p

Just ask any WoW player.... Skull is rarely the first to die..

Edited by DV McKenna, 16 January 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#12 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 16 January 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

Useful yes, helpful maybe.
People can still ignore it :-p

Just ask any WoW player.... Skull is rarely the first to die..

i only played wow for like 2 months, so i never really got to experience that feature. and what i meant was just being able to mark them, doesnt have to be icons, could just be an additional word on top labeled primary, secondary, tertiary, etc and when the primary or secondary dies, it is automatically relabeled.

#13 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

+1 to wheel command...Battlegrid isn't that user friendly and takes you out of the action for too long. Likely to come back to a dead mech :)

#14 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

I still don't know how to use the battle grid to issue commands and I've been playing for years. The few times I've seen it used is has always come down to the following:

1. match starts some one takes cc.
2. "leader" give one command usually a move to or hold here at x location.
3. "leader goes off into a spot on map to hide/give commands. At least this is what the rest of team assumes.
4. Fight starts. No further commands are issued with the only exception being "fire at will" on voip or team chat.
5. "leader" dies last having hid whole match.

Simply put the thing is a steaming pile of crap once the actual fighting happens. It's too slow and too much hassle to react and use in battle. Voip is far more effective unless you're one of the experienced people who can team chat information real fast in primitive form like "b1 x3" which simple means b 3 grid has three enemy mechs. When you find that rare light mech that actually scouts giving updates on where,what or how many mechs constantly in a match friend them and give them thanks. That is not easy hence why many lights never bother to risk themselves scouting.

#15 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 16 January 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Maybe so, but it would make up for some inherent deficiencies with VOIP.

View PostMarineTech, on 16 January 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

Are you kidding? Graphical representations of orders will nearly always be superior (when implemented correctly) compared to some shlub talking over VOIP.

As an example, go look at a game of Heroes of the Storm and look at the pings on the map to retreat, assist a teammate, letting people know where you're going, etc--and then tell me with a straight face that's not as good as VOIP (EDIT:)in the vast majority of situations and especially when you're in a PUG game. The caveat in that example is when you're in a coordinated group and you need to bark orders in the middle of a team fight, in which case yeah VOIP is better, but otherwise pinging the map is better.

View PostJediPanther, on 16 January 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

I still don't know how to use the battle grid to issue commands and I've been playing for years. The few times I've seen it used is has always come down to the following:

1. match starts some one takes cc.
2. "leader" give one command usually a move to or hold here at x location.
3. "leader goes off into a spot on map to hide/give commands. At least this is what the rest of team assumes.
4. Fight starts. No further commands are issued with the only exception being "fire at will" on voip or team chat.
5. "leader" dies last having hid whole match.

Simply put the thing is a steaming pile of crap once the actual fighting happens. It's too slow and too much hassle to react and use in battle. Voip is far more effective unless you're one of the experienced people who can team chat information real fast in primitive form like "b1 x3" which simple means b 3 grid has three enemy mechs. When you find that rare light mech that actually scouts giving updates on where,what or how many mechs constantly in a match friend them and give them thanks. That is not easy hence why many lights never bother to risk themselves scouting.

The reason that the current grid & markers system is bad is because it's designed ATROCIOUSLY bad, which is standard for PGI.

Get somebody who knows how to make an interface worth a crap and then we could maybe have a command wheel that's somewhat decent.

Edited by Pjwned, 16 January 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#16 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 January 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Maybe it just makes me feel better lol.

It would be cool if the time we were waiting for a drop the commander could use it to draw on the map the plan. Issue I have now when I take command I only have time to give 1 direction and then everything goes to ts after this.

View PostCoolant, on 16 January 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

+1 to wheel command...Battlegrid isn't that user friendly and takes you out of the action for too long. Likely to come back to a dead mech Posted Image

View PostJediPanther, on 16 January 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

I still don't know how to use the battle grid to issue commands and I've been playing for years.
Simply put the thing is a steaming pile of crap once the actual fighting happens.

It would be much much cooler if we had an optional 13th player (11th for Clans Posted Image) that served the role of Mechcommander. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 January 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#17 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostKhobai, on 16 January 2016 - 08:18 AM, said:

the command wheel has potential to shave off a few seconds compared to barking orders on VOIP.

I dont understand how it could be quicker to take my hands off my weapons and movement controls, to popup and select a command from a wheel, than it would be to use my mouth, which isn't otherwise being used.

View PostNik Reaper, on 16 January 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COMMAND WHEEL FEATURE?

Rest assured that napkin doodle hasn't been lost, and is still in the "One Day We'll Get Around To It™" pile.

Til then, please buy more Mech Packs, kthxbai.

Edited by Appogee, 16 January 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 16 January 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

This was and still is one of the biggest team play features this game is missing, if you exclude map objectives.... , It was talked a lot during the VOIP campaign but it died down quickly.

Some one with twitter needs to remind Russ we still want and need this in, as the current go to battle grid select lance-> select sign place it and do it two times more so everyone can see it is not cutting it , I haven't seen it used in 3 months even once , and many times it might have helped to know a lance will go that way for no apparent reason and so on, and yes Voip helps but not everyone has it on, is good at english or is paying attention when you are telling them something.

Hell, even just map pings would be welcome, so if it's not too much trouble let's get this ball rolling again this year.

So sign up with twitter (it's free)

and do your own work.

Wont turn you into a Kardashian.

Seriously, your using twitter to communicate with Russ is far easier than implementing a Command Wheel, and you haven't done that yet. Why should you expect them to have done the Command Wheel? Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 16 January 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#19 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostAppogee, on 16 January 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

I dont understand how it could be quicker to take my hands off my weapons and movement controls, to popup and select a command from a wheel, than it would be to use my mouth, which isn't otherwise being used.

It would be quicker (and more reliable) to communicate orders effectively with a command wheel, assuming it was designed properly anyways.

That's the difference.

#20 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

From Thursday's stream (~1:16)

Posted Image

Edited by Jman5, 16 January 2016 - 10:09 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users