- - - - -

Can't Decide On A 'mech

20 replies to this topic

#1 08videogameguy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

I just recently found this game and I love it! The game play is great, sticking together and using strategy instead of everyone being a lone wolf.

I just recently got my first 'mech: The Catapult.

As much as I love this 'mech and its play style, I want to go to the frontlines a few times instead of hanging back.
I'm looking for a 'mech that isn't the center of attention, such as a assault 'mech. I'm looking for a mech that could support the assaults on the front lines, yet not be the center of attention. Sort of stay behind them and help out whenever I can. However, if I do get targeted, I want to be able to tank a few hits so I can defend myself for a while until reinforcements arrive.

I have been looking at two 'mechs in particular: The Hunchback and the Cataphract. Which one should I chose? I want the Timber Wolf but that is too costly for me. If you have any other 'mech suggestions, I would love to hear them. Any builds that you think are good are welcome as well.

Thank you so much for the help!

#2 TheOddball

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Both are good brawlers, and fun for front line combat. I prefer the Hunchback, but it was also my first 'mech that I mastered. Good speed, and packs a punch. The hunch gets targeted a lot, knocking out your big gun and leaving you dependent on your other weapons.

The Cataphract has more armor (being a heavy), so that might be a better choice for your style of play. A bit slower, but it can take a hit and dish out a lot of damage.

Both have a lot of great variants. For the Hunchback, the 4G will give you the big shoulder cannon. The 4P is an all energy build, and putting in a couple of PPCs is fun.

The Cataphract's weapons are slung lower, where the Hunchbacks cannon is nice and high. Still, they survive and hit like a truck. I like the 2X for the SRMs you can pack on it, or the 3D with an AC/20 and MPLs.

Hope you find one you enjoy!

#3 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

View Post08videogameguy, on 16 January 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

The Catapult.
As much as I love this 'mech and its play style, I want to go to the frontlines a few times instead of hanging back.

Good for you. Even if you're talking about the LRM-boat Catapult, it is not supposed to hang back. Stay with your team, mount a TAG on your mech so you can pick your own targets.

I have been looking at two 'mechs in particular: The Hunchback and the Cataphract. Which one should I chose?

I'd pick the Hunchback. A bit tricky because the hunch is vulnerable, but it will teach you the great value of shielding and torso twisting ;) A skill that will make you a better pilot for sure.
Depending of the variants it make a good mid-range laser-boat (HBK-4P), a brilliant SRM brawler (HBK-4SP), a great AC/20 carrier (HBK-4G) or even a fast and mobile LRM-boat (HBK-4J).

I'm not really a fan of the Phract, I find it has a vulnerable profile, but I'm not really an heavy pilot to begin with, so I might be biased.

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

OP: Check out a Thunderbolt.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

I also recommend the Hunchback, for the following reasons,

they are relatively cheep to build, purchase and fully upgrade should cost about 8 million for the first including a 250 or 275 standard engine which can be shared with later HBKs, if you share the engine later HBKs will cost about 6 mil

each variant is suited for a different play style

it will teach shielding vulnerable components (the hunch), a skill which will serve you well in pretty much any Mech after it has taken a few hits

it has one of the best torso twist ranges in the game and unlike the Cataphract can be faster than the Clan Heavy Mechs

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 16 January 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#6 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

The Enforcer also has some similar builds to the Hunchbacks, but is a little more compact and easily overlooked in the heat of battle.

The Cataphract also has an ECM capable version, the OXP, which can really help keep long range attention off of you on darker maps. They won't get the red dorito on you at long ranges.

If you want to go into clan mechs, I'd suggest the Hellbringer! It's a great Heavy and was my first clan mech. It doesn't get the attention that the Timberwolf and Ebon Jaguar receive and can still pack a punch. Disclaimer, all clan mechs cost more up front but it evens out due to the big XL engine they come with. However, you can get an enforcer or Hunchback for a lot cheaper because they run a STD engine.

#7 08videogameguy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the quick responses. I never would of thought people would respond so fast! This forum is very useful.Posted Image

I think I'm going to go with the Hunchback. I was leaning towards it from the start. The multiple models of this Chassis have a wide range of possibilities to choose from, and being able to get used to it as a trial 'mech is going to make me feel more comfortable.

If you don't mind, I now have one more question: What are some good builds for this 'mech?

I do prefer ballistic over energy since I am more used to that type of weapon. The HBK-4G is the one that I think I want, or maybe the HBK-4J because I love missiles (thats why I got the Catapult, after all).

Thank you so much! You guys are really helping me become a better pilot!

Edit: I will be looking at others responses for possible future mechs, so you continue recommening more mechs if you wish to Posted Image

Edited by 08videogameguy, 16 January 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#8 08videogameguy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

The laser variant actually is fairly easy to use.
I just tried it out again and I think I'm getting the hang of laser weapons

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Most folk Prefer an HBK-4G that's stock plus. Just the base mech, but upgraded. Me, I prefer a mech that's a bit more customized.. This Build is a bit more vicious an short lived. Slow enough so I don't find my self alone on the front lines, but fast enough I'm still usually one of the first ones there, and with firepower that, whilest unjammed, can out trade a heavy.

As for the HBK-4J... I like a mix of missiles an Melee.

As for my third.. the HBK-4SP Has been lauded as the tankiest Hunchback by a heavy I soloed. I think it's the quirks. This is, by the way, a dirt cheap 3025 valid build. You could do better, but it's just an example. And yes, it does go faster'n your local neighborhood Daishi. Erm, I mean Direwolf.

All these builds, should of course be tweaked to preference

The 'Phract is of course a solid design choice as well.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 16 January 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#10 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:08 PM

Consider the Griffins, they are solid brawlers, fairly mobile and able to move around the battlefield. Also one has ECM, so you can help your team by just being close.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

Welcome to MWO.

Of the original choices: Hunchback, Cataphract, and Timber Wolf... the last will be a center of attention.

Cataphracts can be pretty good to use. I haven't used them lately so I can't comment on them "after quirks."

Hunchbacks are, naturally, awesome. They do tank quite a bit. Still, since their sides are uneven, remember this trick on the right side: 46 front, 2 rear.

You can also consider the Wolverines. 55 tons, often unseen and as such people tend to ignore them at their own peril. Shortest of the 55 ton mechs and very tough little ***** that jump pretty well.

(Had to manually censor myself through an edit. Serioushry?)

Edited by Koniving, 16 January 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#12 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

I started with the Hunchback most events like this one I use my 4sp with 5 Med. Pules Lasers and 2 SRM 6+ Artemis standered engine 235 runs at 81

Posted Image

#13 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

If you don't want to be the center of attention, I suggest two things.

1) Low end heavies (60 tonners) and/or mediums (40-55 Tons)
2) Non meta designs.

You'll find a lot of players gravitate to only a handful of chassis and builds in MWO. It's the side effect of trying to cater this game to the "E-sports" types, when up until now it's been about it's single player experience. It went without saying that the customization system wouldn't end up being used to customize, but rather convert everything to a few power-builds, really making the whole thing meaningless.

As such, there are a few builds that are not as popular. Have you noticed how uncommon it is to see mechs like the Dragon, Quickdraw, Orion, Awesome, Atlas, Trebuchet, Victor, Vindicator, or the like? That's not because they're terrible, but rather because other mechs have a few percentage points of advantage over them, and everyone's trying to milk the most C-bills by shunning over half of the 'mechs in the game as "Useless garbage".

On the other hand, some of my best successes have been from using those pieces of "Useless Garbage". Kintaros, Trebuchets, and a number of other mediums treated me very well. The Awesome suited me far better than the once great Highlander, and I had a great time with my Quickdraws.

Remember, just because a design "Isn't the meta" doesn't mean you're shooting yourself in the foot over 5% inefficiencies. It's better to go with something that you are comfortable with, or can modify to make comfortable. Further, if you're going for "Going unnoticed" as the heavies sponge up the damage, the Camo paints are some of the cheapest you can buy, and the Basic paints have a really nice faded color that prevents you from sticking out like a sore thumb. Better still, basics don't cost MC, but normal C-bills.

The current Hunchback suggestion is a good one. If ballistic is your game, I'd also suggest taking a look at the Shadowhawks. I haven't tried my Enforcers yet (Davion mech, I'm working on Drac Mechs), but it seems up your alley. You might also want to take a look at the Blackjack for bringing ACs to the field on a smaller build. If you're upscaling, the Dragon sounds like it will do you. It's frequently used for sword and board, but I've been treated very well by them. I often shun pure S&B builds and at least give myself a few backups when possible (Like the Wolverine's head laser)

Edited by ice trey, 16 January 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#14 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

HBKs are great. The different models offer a lot of different weapons and play style options

#15 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

Ice trey is right about the Black jacks my arrow has two large pules L and 6 MG's but the big thing of it is the armer is fantastic you can really protect the assaults the MG's are small but with 6 you can eat away at some ones armer fast .
All so I been wanting to try the dragons they look like little Monkeys lol .

#16 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 16 January 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

HBKs are great. The different models offer a lot of different weapons and play style options

there are 7 of umPosted Image

#17 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

View Postdr lao, on 16 January 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

there are 7 of umPosted Image

You got a point or did you just have an emoji you were dying to use?

Most IS mechs that have a lot of variants are just minor deviations of a common theme. Not so with the HBK.
Just between the 4g, 4p and 4j you have about all the variety you could realistically hope for in this game.

#18 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

View Postdr lao, on 16 January 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

I started with the Hunchback most events like this one I use my 4sp with 5 Med. Pules Lasers and 2 SRM 6+ Artemis standered engine 235 runs at 81

Posted Image

Try a pair of 4's, and a 250 STD, with extra heat sinks.. This mech runs very hot.. the 4's with extra heat sinks help. Also it will have 10 heat sinks on the engine, instead of 8? They work better on the engine, so that is a boost right there

#19 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:06 PM

thanks CJ I tried it in game and the rate of fire is faster and I didn't over heat at all nice I all so went to a darker color so I wont stick out so much .

#20 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

Both are great if ya ask me.. Cataphract is a great ballistics mech with energy back up, and it's hero is awesome.

HBK's let ya play all the weapon types, a flavor for every day.. It is a great brawler, or long brawler in the case of the 4j 200-400m

BTW if you get the 4G, try 250STD, AC-20 4 tons, 3 SL's 2 machine guns.. it is a shorter ranged brawler over the 3 ML's, But the thing does so much DPS up close.. it just shread mechs. Very fun!

Edited by CJ Daxion, 16 January 2016 - 10:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users