#1 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

That, is the middle of Polar Highlands. It is also the flattest, most open area. The terrain is simple and only has minimal elevations meaning, while there's enough natural cover for a small 'mech to dash about safely, there's zero cover once the LRMs start raining. And LRMs will start raining.

So, don't go there or try to fight there if you're not prepared to deal with LRMs.

Or if you have a team you're confident that can hold a proper firing line as you push across.

I'm seeing nearly every team attempt to push into or through it at one point of the match or another, and yet every match there's so many players then complaining about being killed by LRMs and that there's no cover.

The surrounding areas are absolutely full of deep trenches, rock formations and even bases field with large buildings. There's enough terrain to completely block line of sight and seriously negate the ability of LRM boats to get you. And yet, everyone seems determined to charge that center area and wonder why LRMs are able to pick them off.

I get that it's early and players are still learning how to play on the map, and that this map goes against general player mentality in that you should probably avoid the center unless you're performing a coordinated manoeuvre (tip: death balls aren't great in the open), but the amount of salt is ridiculous.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

Also?

Radar Derp Module is your friend.

Plenty of concealment on most of the map to be had... trench fighting can be great...unfortunately the biggest amount of Derp I am encountering is people with no concepts of fire lanes in constriction points.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 19 January 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

As luck would have it I have a mech specifically built for a map like this. Dual AMS with range 5 and over load 5 and carrying LRM's. :)

#4 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

So you're saying that Nascar is the best tactic?

#5 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostNostromodamus, on 19 January 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

So you're saying that Nascar is the best tactic?

You don't have to nascar to avoid running directly into the center of a map.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 19 January 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

You don't have to nascar to avoid running directly into the center of a map.

In general, this map requires some modicum of thinking, and it's not instant gratification.

Thus a goodly percentage of the player base will never figure it out.

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 January 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

In general, this map requires some modicum of thinking, and it's not instant gratification.

Thus a goodly percentage of the player base will never figure it out.

Problem is if they go right and you go left it's going to Nascar, for like 5 minutes before you find anyone. People will end up in the center just hoping to find the other team.

#8 Druarc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

Yup get it wrong and it's lrm rain time

#9 Sader325

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

or bring 6 hellbringers and 4 arctic cheetahs.

http://www.twitch.tv...r325/v/36500367

#10 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, get tired of all maps, rounds. Both teams go to center. What tactic is that? Put some fun going around, toying with the enemy. Ever play chess, playing with your opponents mind. That is what I do, make your opponent make a move you want them to. Going to center in on complete group gets boring. No tactical formations or nothing.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 January 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

Problem is if they go right and you go left it's going to Nascar, for like 5 minutes before you find anyone. People will end up in the center just hoping to find the other team.

scouts... actually matter.

I know, it's crazy thought for MWO, but for realz.

#12 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 January 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

scouts... actually matter.

I know, it's crazy thought for MWO, but for realz.

I know, it's amazing. It's a map where lights can be heroes. It does suck for the fatties though.

#13 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

This new map sounds like a winner. I really enjoy it when PGI throws out something that mixes things up. Now people will have to contend with the possibility of no cover from LRMs, and maybe they will bring some anti-LRM gear and reduce the meta spam a bit in the other maps...

Seriously though, we have plenty of maps that suck for LRMs, about time we had one that was good (or at least decent) for them.

Also, bringing NARC was always a no-win situation, but now it might be worth carrying on a few mechs. The more weapon systems that become statistically viable, the better IMO.

#14 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

So I thought I'd test the theory, jumped into a match on Polar Highlands, heck even took a brawling Atlas, managed to convince the team to flank around the left into the trenches and ended up engaging the enemy team at G10-H10. And it was an awesome match. Not exactly close, but LRMs didn't really have the sway they would have had in the middle.

Now granted, my team was very communicative with at least four people on comms, and I was on Oceanic servers which tends to have a different playstyle, but to me this demonstrates that you can have good games by not engaging the enemy in the center.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users