- - - - -

What Mechs And Variants To Get During Current Sale ?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Spam Lanwalker

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • Locationin a kitchen, always :(

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

as above :) i have centurion x3 already and plenty of other meds , was lookin towards hvy and assault maybe . just general advice on the sale to be fair :) thanks in advance

#2 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Cicada is a great mech that is very fast and the 3M can have ECM. All have decent amount of firepower, mainly medium lasers (3M with that Ultra AC 5...glorious).

Warhawk is another option if you want an assault, quite fast as well for 85 tons(65kph) and much more affordable now. Always take into account that clan mechs cost more but have double heat sinks /armor and structure built in, so you dont have to upgrade much on them.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

In the heavy/assault range the Cataphract is the only one I feel is a must have. I grabbed the atlases for placing a DDC in my CW drops, but that's a playstyle choice. The cataphract has some solid builds that can be tooled for multipule playstyles, and even has an ECM version as well.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 20 January 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

well if you like ballistics, the cataphracts are pretty fun. id suggest the 4X, 3D, and 0XP, Brawlers, but a few longer range builds, like in the 4X, or Gauss+LL builds

Dragons are fat heavies. They are long range flanker/skirmishers for the most part. they are also one of the fastest heavies in the game at over 100KPH, but they don't have a lot of armor, and can be knocked out by good pilots/fighters unless piloted well.

If you want to try inner sphere assaults, the Atlas, DDC, D, and S, are worth grabbing too. Atlas's are good brawlers, and medium ranged fighters. Not to mention classic mechs

#5 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

I play mostly mediums so if you are looking to buy any I would recommend either the Centurion(AL/AH/A in particular, YLW can replace the A if you have the money to spend) and Nova (literally any). Reasons being is that the centurion is a fairly easy mech to learn on and you will always have a dedicated side to shield with (a worthwhile skill to have on many 50-55 tonners). Also the nova is extremely versatile with its different loadouts and can pack quite a punch when fully modded out. I know some others have already suggested the Cicada and while the EMC variant is very very good, many of the others can be very punishing as the mech plays more like a huge light mech than a true 50-55 ton meduim.

TLDR:
Centurion- AH / AL / A / YLW
Nova- C / B / any
Cicada- 3M (its the only one I can really recommend without any knowledge of your play style)

~Dark

EDIT: Literally did not register that you already had 3 cents, DERP

Edited by Darkspart3n, 20 January 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#6 Spam Lanwalker

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • Locationin a kitchen, always :(

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Cool , thanks for the replys guys :) i think ill go atlas : bought DDC , wondering what other two variants to get or avoid ?

#7 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

If you're interested in saving money, keep in mind the sales only applies on the base chassis, not on the upgrades and the equipment you will have to buy when customising the mech.
=> buying clan on sales is much more profitable, since their price includes the engine and upgrades.
But if you're buying for example a Jenner on sale, you'll still have to buy the DHS (1.5 millions) and the XL300 (5 millions) full price.

edit: for your second Atlas, definitely the -S (the one with 4 missile hardpoints). This is the king of brawlers.
Not exactly sure for the third. Maybe the K: the variant is kind of crap, but the stock engine (XL300) is expensive and very usefull on a lot of mechs (but not Atlases: change it for a standard engine)

Edited by epikt, 20 January 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

View PostSpam Lanwalker, on 20 January 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Cool , thanks for the replys guys Posted Image i think ill go atlas : bought DDC , wondering what other two variants to get or avoid ?

I sugest the S and ether the D or RS for your other varients,
the S has 4 missile, 4 energy and 1 Balistic slot,
the D has 4 E, 2B, 2M.
the RS has 1B, 2M and 4 E in the arms (the D, S & K have 2 of their Energy hardpoints CT).

I would not get the K, that is more expensive because it comes with an XL300 which is not very useful on an Atlas (you will almost always be able to sacrifice a side torso and keep fighting with at least half your firepower before dying so an XL where loosing a side kills you is not a good idea), and hardpoints wise 4E, 1B, 1M but has 2 AMS to 1 on the other AS7 variants

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 20 January 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#9 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

I typically like buying mechs for engines, and like he said the XL-300 is nice.. But just checking the quirks, the K really has nothing better than the others, and has more limited hard points. I actually own it, cause i did just that, was thinking double AMS might be usefull.. But i dunno, the jury is out on that. It does have decent energy hard points/quicks, and movement.. I honestly have no idea what i'm gonna do with mine.. Energy and an AC i suppose

#10 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Nobody suggested Adder??

Adder is a very nice mech, not tier 1 but then none of the mechs of this sale is, yet it still solidly in tier 2.

2x cERPPC and 5x cMPLAS are great builds, then you have streak20, cUAC20 and splat adder for flavour.

To be honest I don't play them much lately, but that's because I am bored of them, always I do they surprise me how effective they are in comparison to the bad press they get.

#11 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

Got me a ballistic Shadowcat.
Having a blast.

Gauss and jets is what i remember the cat to be, not sure if there's a Ballistic RH and dual med laser variant i can use +/- SRM, but I'm considering hopping on an ECM variant as the final version.

Such a great guerilla.

#12 Jerkins Ma Gerkins

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:46 AM

Bought highlander for sniper... meh..48kph ZZZzzz...

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:34 AM

View PostJerkins Ma Gerkins, on 21 January 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

Bought highlander for sniper... meh..48kph ZZZzzz...

with max engine it moves 58.5 before speed tweak.

unfortunately most Mechs need customization to make them good

#14 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

I use the as7-k for my CW drops on boreal. 3x erll, gr, lrm15.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users