24 replies to this topic

#1 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

Been having a lot of PPC and ERPPC hits lately simply refuse to do damage, or do seemingly reduced damage. I thought all that stuff was supposedly cleared up a long time ago. last two matches I was in had at least four shots I saw do no damage, even though they hit, and I was well within optimal range. Is that stupid bug where grouped PPC fire glitches out still a thing?

Also, anybody else feel our particle spewing cannons of doom feel a bit, lame, compared to the current laser overlords?

#2 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

View Postdimachaerus, on 20 January 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

Been having a lot of PPC and ERPPC hits lately simply refuse to do damage, or do seemingly reduced damage. I thought all that stuff was supposedly cleared up a long time ago. last two matches I was in had at least four shots I saw do no damage, even though they hit, and I was well within optimal range. Is that stupid bug where grouped PPC fire glitches out still a thing?

Also, anybody else feel our particle spewing cannons of doom feel a bit, lame, compared to the current laser overlords?

it's been a thing since closed beta. It's still a thing.

#3 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

View Postspectralthundr, on 20 January 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

it's been a thing since closed beta. It's still a thing.

Wish they'd sort that out, been trying to use multi-PPC mechs again lately, what with the marauder and Whammy being in now. I remember it being in back in the beta as well, but I could swear I saw in patch notes a ways back that they had fixed it.

#4 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

Yesterday I ran my GRF 2N with both types of PPC whilst trying out different build and I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary with hit reg.

I did notice that I was clipping the ground more with the PPCs than with lasers.

I think my PPC shots vaporised more parsnips and turnips in Polar yesterday, than they hit enemy mechs.

#5 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I've been having issues with the PPCs on the WHM. It's reached the point where I hate them so much I don't even want to bother with them. But then, I did pay for the WHM, so now I feel kind of ripped off... :'(

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:19 AM

I said this in another thread, but I think it's more appropriate in this one actually.

I just want to chime in to say that I think part of the hit detection issue with PPC's is the god-awful visuals it has for anything less than 150m. Sometimes it's invisible and all you see is a little brief electrical effect hit the ground. How can you even know where it traveled when you're aiming at a moving target? It's nigh impossible (read: incredibly frustrating).

Visual feedback for PPC's needs a complete overhaul IMO. All we need is 3 people to tweet this to Russ and I'm sure it'll be done by the of the week...

Here's a couple examples... of how terrible it is. (and no, it's not clipping through anything, the visual effect literally just STOPS in mid-air..)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'd like to agree that it's time we get a PPC effect that is easy to perceive as a hit or a miss...

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 21 January 2016 - 12:19 AM.

#7 D1SC0 LEM0NADE

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

^^^
Looks like a Michael Bay movie. . .

#8 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

I think alot of it is tickrate, and how the server handles all the varied pings.

It does seem like shots just get... lost, or pass right through things without ever registering, or you'll get the phenomenon of hitting a guy in the front and his back blows out..

#9 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:25 AM

Ppcs and convergence is a tricky thing as well. Convergence doesn't account for the fact that you are leading a target at a Range that's different from where your reticule is. If your target is moving laterally you might be better off firing the ppcs one at a time as both might not hit, and you'll certainly be dong reduced damage. It's even more apparent on mechs where the Ppcs are places far apart.

It's really easy to have weapons converge right in front of your target, making it look like it went through. It's super easy to shoot under arms and through legs. From My experience my hit reg with ppcs has not been bad. It's convergence that gives me the most grief. Or it could be both, keep an eye out!

Edited by W A R K H A N, 21 January 2016 - 01:35 AM.

#10 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:31 AM

Hmm. I must admit, was trading fire with a wubberbolt on veridian bog last night, in my spamHammer (3*srm6 and 2 arm torso mount ppcs).

The 'bolt had a critical CT, and we were both hill humping the step in D4.
He was one side, I was the other.

On 3 consecutive peaks, I hit him with two ppcs and 18 srms.

And he took no verifiable damage.

Either my hit reg is way off, or I'm delusional, but I saw the shots hit from my perspective.

Unfortunately I did lose the plot right after someone then cores me instead.

Twas awful, just awful....

Edited. Auto correct is a pig.

Edited by chewie, 21 January 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,929 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...arbage-weapons/

This thread and that above should be joined.

Another thing about PPCs that i don't understand. I play a couple of IS builds that only run ERPPCs and nothing else. Yet at the end of a match my damage done is an odd number (say 347 or something). How does that work if the PPC is a non-scan weapon? It either hits or it misses right? If it hits it ought to do the full 10 points of damage, no?

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:45 AM

Hitreg is wonky.

To help, I try to use PPCs with mechs that have quirks to velocity. I use PPCs for more fire support roles against larger/slower targets. I also stick to the North American server since I have the lowest ping there. If you play on a server with over a 100 ping, you probably aren't doing yourself any favors.

#13 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:18 AM

I tend to stick to eu. Ping of 26-38 on average.

#14 Samriis

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 21 January 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...arbage-weapons/

This thread and that above should be joined.

Another thing about PPCs that i don't understand. I play a couple of IS builds that only run ERPPCs and nothing else. Yet at the end of a match my damage done is an odd number (say 347 or something). How does that work if the PPC is a non-scan weapon? It either hits or it misses right? If it hits it ought to do the full 10 points of damage, no?

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't damage go down if you are outside the optimal range? It would explain the odd number

#15 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:26 AM

View Postchewie, on 21 January 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

Hmm. I must admit, was trading fire with a wubberbolt on veridian bog last night, in my spamHammer (3*srm6 and 2 arm torso mount ppcs).

The 'bolt had a critical CT, and we were both hill humping the step in D4.
He was one side, I was the other.

On 3 consecutive peaks, I hit him with two ppcs and 18 srms.

And he took no verifiable damage.

Either my hit reg is way off, or I'm delusional, but I saw the shots hit from my perspective.

I remember a bit on Polar Highlands. I was in my Warhammer poking out from behind a hill. An enemy Warhammer caught me trying to reverse back into cover (thus I was near stationary) and hit me in my CT with 1 PPC. My mech shook, but took no damage whatsoever. (Even though I was inside his PPC range)

Edited by Red Shrike, 21 January 2016 - 05:26 AM.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:47 AM

View Postdimachaerus, on 20 January 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

Yeah. Seems to come and go in severity, and I have noticed it with all weapons, but PPCs seem to get it worst for some reason. And of course, it's much more noticeable on all or nothing front loaded damage, that's taxing you that much heat for no hitreg.

I very seldom see it on single PPCs/ERPPCs, though. In fact, rarely enough that I usually chalk it up to HSR disagreeing with what I saw on my monitor. *shrug*

But grouped PPCs? Probably 25% of my shots wont's register some matches, and likewise with massed SRMs.

#17 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 20 January 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

I did notice that I was clipping the ground more with the PPCs than with lasers.

Yeah, they ALWAYS ground to earth if at all possible but manage to squeeze though tiniest of spaces between arm and body. If it would have a bigger "projectile" in relation to mechs as well I kind of could forgive it (Dunno if this is actually fact or fiction, but those screenies here with explosions all over the place might hint that something funny is going on. Still keeping them bolted on Marauder tho... silly me)

Edited by Haakon Magnusson, 21 January 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#18 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

View Postchewie, on 21 January 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

ARGH I want hit location specific quirks

(Actually would make a lot of sense... could enhance single weapons easier to encourage non-boating and actually using those PPC arms etc)

#19 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

I can use PPCs on any mech. Practice makes perfect. Fix the damn on-its-head heat system. Waiting 25-30 seconds to completely cool-off in a 15 min match is ridiculous.

Edited by DivineEvil, 21 January 2016 - 06:23 AM.

#20 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Something was wrong with hitreg yesterday. Was shotting at Arctic Cheater from may be 10 meters. He wasn't even moving - all he was doing, is hovering via JJs a little bit. Made 3-4 AC/10 shots right into his face - none registered.

Edited by MrMadguy, 21 January 2016 - 06:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users