Ever Have That Mech You Just Want To Love...but You Are Horrible In It?

171 replies to this topic

#21 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostWolfways, on 21 January 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

It's any clan mech for me, but it's the MDD Prime that I feel the worst about.
I love that mech but just can't seem to do well in it. I know I'm not a great player but I put part of the blame on pgi for the bad heat system and lack of Endo on the MDD Posted Image

Oh yeah...PPC's.
I'd like my K2 to be as good as it was in CB but ER/PPC's are just terrible now compared to lower heat weapons.

i noticed a few months ago it seems like LRM5s aren't as tight and prone to go CT as they used to...my old MDD-Prime (6xLRM5, cooldown5, range 5 modles, 4xERML, 1xTAG) used to core through CTs like a gakked out beaver through balsa wood.

Now it seems very ho hum at killing things.

#22 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

And finally for the first time since the Crescent Hawk games....

Well... Technically only the second Crescent Hawk game Bishop Posted Image

Mine is the Vindicator-1R. I want to love this 'mech but I have a really hard time breaking 250-300 damage. When I started though it was more like 150-200 so... practice makes perfect man, it's a pretty new 'mech, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostTyler Valentine, on 21 January 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Mine is the Vindicator-1R. I want to love this 'mech but I have a really hard time breaking 250-300 damage. When I started though it was more like 150-200 so... practice makes perfect man, it's a pretty new 'mech, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

it's been 25 years or so... couldn't remember which one, or if both had it.

#24 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

Timberwolves. Always the damned Timberwolves.

In MW2 any mission I could run a Timber, I did.

In Mechcommander, I repeated that 3rd mission a few dozen times till I finally managed to salvage the Timberwolf.

Yet that thing absolutely hates me. I've tried all the Meta Builds. I've tried all the NON-Meta Builds. I've even tried the Derp Builds. I'm starting to think that PGI sold me Aidan Prydes Timberwolf.....

#25 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

For me its the Atlas, i want so bad to be that unstoppable bad@ss in a surprise Atlas, but i just can't make that mech work for me.

#26 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

my TT loadout.
Mjolnir
Remember the one thing I refuse to do is lose the PPCs from the arms. The only alternative is maybe an LPL.
(or on the 6D maybe dual LL in the arms)
Have considered maybe doing this
WHM-6R making the torso weapons solely for infighting.
my other current builds:
WHM-7S
BLACK WIDOW

haven't really settled on a build for the 6D yet.
WHM-6D
Is my current... but man do I wish it had missiles and ballistics in the torsos to compliment the dual energy arms.

Yeah, that's about what I'd thumbed together by looking at the screenshot.

IMHO, when keeping the PPC's is needed (and, really, it's a Warhammer!) heat+tonnage is such a driving concern. It's basically impossible to use dual PPC's and lasers together, so IMHO going with the Smalls is a better option. It's cooler, they're used when the Peeps can't be, and it saves another ton if your pulling down to the LBX (which, at those ranges, is good enough anyways). The LBX being a point of heat less than the AC10 helps a lot there too. Gets you to respectable speed, as well - 75/81kph is solid enough. Sadly, even at that point, you're still really pushing things for heat.

It's rough that the Warhammer has the hardpoints for awesomesauce, but our heat system basically forces people into using meta builds.

It's actually why I haven't bought them. I love Warhammers, but I don't want to run them without PPC's.... But as things stand, I don't want to run them WITH PPC's either. If you mount 2, then those PPC's need to perform, and not be a liability Posted Image

View PostThunder Child, on 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

In Mechcommander, I repeated that 3rd mission a few dozen times till I finally managed to salvage the Timberwolf.

Blowing up the oil tanks with the timberwolf at just the right distance to be salvagable rather than totally destroyed... Or not damaged enough, so it tears you a new one. God, I did that mission SO DAMN MANY TIMES. SO MANY.

Edited by Wintersdark, 21 January 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostKHETTI, on 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

For me its the Atlas, i want so bad to be that unstoppable bad@ss in a surprise Atlas, but i just can't make that mech work for me.

yeah... well, generally any lumbering assault and me.... only Assaults I do at all well in consistently, are the Warhawk, La Malinche, Zeus-6R.

The rest? Horribad, lol.

Just Like in Heavies... I can Timberwolf like a champ (EZmode), since the hitbox change, I have had the opposite reaction as Meisoohateyoo, and do realyl solid in them, and Jagers and my ON1-VA. The rest? MEH. (but I love my SMN too much to stop)

Lights? I can ACH (who can't?), Urbies and the PNT-10K. That's it.

Only Medium s do I seem to be able to shine in.

#28 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

How about you guys, any tales of broken Mech homes, and heartbreak and woe?

I'm probably a happy mechwarrior. Only slightly disappointing 'mech in my hangar is Zeus - but only because i just can't get used to this lefty 'mech. Would be perfect for me, if switch places left and right hands.

As for Warhammer. Funny thing - my WHM-6D with lame temporary SHS build, which will be sold after basics unlock, performs twice better than both my 6R and 7S, which i shall keep forever, with custom loadouts..

#29 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

All of them. Because I'm terrible at this game

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostWintersdark, on 21 January 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yeah, that's about what I'd thumbed together by looking at the screenshot.

IMHO, when keeping the PPC's is needed (and, really, it's a Warhammer!) heat+tonnage is such a driving concern. It's basically impossible to use dual PPC's and lasers together, so IMHO going with the Smalls is a better option. It's cooler, they're used when the Peeps can't be, and it saves another ton if your pulling down to the LBX (which, at those ranges, is good enough anyways). The LBX being a point of heat less than the AC10 helps a lot there too. Gets you to respectable speed, as well - 75/81kph is solid enough. Sadly, even at that point, you're still really pushing things for heat.

It's rough that the Warhammer has the hardpoints for awesomesauce, but our heat system basically forces people into using meta builds.

It's actually why I haven't bought them. I love Warhammers, but I don't want to run them without PPC's.... But as things stand, I don't want to run them WITH PPC's either. If you mount 2, then those PPC's need to perform, and not be a liability Posted Image

Blowing up the oil tanks with the timberwolf at just the right distance to be salvagable rather than totally destroyed... Or not damaged enough, so it tears you a new one. God, I did that mission SO DAMN MANY TIMES. SO MANY.

yeah...kinda my evaluation. *sigh*

I just can't take a classic and toss hydros and spinners on it. Be it an Impala, or a Warhammer.

Ah....MC1... I don't think I EVER salvaged that dang Timby.....

#31 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

i noticed a few months ago it seems like LRM5s aren't as tight and prone to go CT as they used to...my old MDD-Prime (6xLRM5, cooldown5, range 5 modles, 4xERML, 1xTAG) used to core through CTs like a gakked out beaver through balsa wood.

Now it seems very ho hum at killing things.

Yeah, I've cut the LRM's down to 2x10LRM and removed the MPL's. I won't/can't remove the LPL's though....maybe... Posted Image
I'm just a long range player....like the MDD is supposed to be.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 21 January 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

I'm probably a happy mechwarrior. Only slightly disappointing 'mech in my hangar is Zeus - but only because i just can't get used to this lefty 'mech. Would be perfect for me, if switch places left and right hands.

As for Warhammer. Funny thing - my WHM-6D with lame temporary SHS build, which will be sold after basics unlock, performs twice better than both my 6R and 7S, which i shall keep forever, with custom loadouts..

funny thing is..despite being a righty... because the lefty mount coincides with my left mouse button, and thus my trigger finger, it's actually better for me. Probably why the 6R actually does so well for me, actually.

#33 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

I have a mech that I love that I used to be amazing in until PGI completely destroyed it. Its called the Commando.

#34 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

*snip*

King Crab.
I just love the model... but i'm a light pilot. Going slow and being a huge target just dosen't suit me.

However, Bishop, don't surrender. Try different builds (always keep PPCs in the arms, of course). Something might suddenly click.
I never liked the Oxide (don't know why), i tried it with LRM5s (heresy, right?) and for some reason, it suddenly works great for me.
Keep trying, forumwarrior.
Good hunting.

Edited by TheCharlatan, 21 January 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#35 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 21 January 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

You can try this build...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...667fed34ca3514c

I just made it, so I haven't had much seat time in it. It seem like it would be ok though. You could also drop a heat sink, go to a XL235, and add one additional JJ if you want (2 total) or pull the JJs all together for additional cooling and speed. Whatever works for you.

I like the 40% Velocity increase for the Vindi 1R, but sometimes you have to do your own thing. Besides, I'm using the 1AA as my PPC ride anyway, so the 1R as a LPLaser machine is fine with me.

P.S. If you needed a 1X build, this is kinda fun...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...022fa04801694b8

You can also run 3 A/C2s and a MLaser and let the lolz pour in. Still, I think the 1 PPC with 2 A/C2s is the superior build IMO.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 21 January 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#36 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

Lights? I can ACH (who can't?), Urbies and the PNT-10K. That's it.

Me. I can't. My ACH dissolves. Literally dissolves. My JR7-IIC lasts longer, and those things are notoriously fragile (even if they do hit like an Atlas).
Give me a Wolfhound, or an Adder, or a Cutefox.

Hell, give me a Locust, a Mist lynx, or even a Super-Stock AC20 Urbie.

The only reason I HAVEN'T sold all my Arctic Cheatyfaces, is because I have vowed to never sell a Chassis until I've unlocked the Mastery Slots.

Now that I think about it, I had the same issue with Firestarters.

Maybe I'm just allergic to Meta.

#37 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

yeah...kinda my evaluation. *sigh*

I just can't take a classic and toss hydros and spinners on it. Be it an Impala, or a Warhammer.

Ah....MC1... I don't think I EVER salvaged that dang Timby.....

What about WHM-6R? Peeps and AC5's, the not-classic-but-old-meta. Still pushes 30 PPFLD strikes, is actually reasonable heat efficient (in so far as Wammies go anyways), has decent sustained fire ability. Not a huge scary alpha, but enough to do some damage. Projectile speed should be close, if my memory of the 6R's quirks holds

#38 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

I can do the opposite Bishop:

I do not have near the experience as many others. I don't know the history/back story. I don't know any details on weaponry or mechs etc... I just enjoy games with fighting robots, and Mechwarrior isn't the first game I've played offering such.

Anyway one mech I've never really cared for aesthetically (although I believe it looks absolutely badass now) or for it's loadout has been the Atlas. Add in the speed and maneuverability and it's always been a mech I've not paid much attention to - until recently.

I asked the question as to which mech is a good brawler and I was promptly referred the Atlas. Well I bit the bullet a little less than a week ago and I can't say enough good things about it. I love the Atlas - so much so that it has taken the top spot of my favorite mech. Such an unbelievable mech I can't believe I never cared for it before. And when I say I never cared for it I can't remember EVER using the Atlas in any game before MWO. I always used the Diashi or the Hauptmann if I wanted a monster mech. Not anymore though, the Atlas is my new baby!

As for a mech I really like but have always sucked in - the Vulture/Maddog. (although I've not tried MWO's version, maybe I'd like it)

#39 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

funny thing is..despite being a righty... because the lefty mount coincides with my left mouse button, and thus my trigger finger,

That's true, but it feels for me like wielding sword with left hand, and shield with right.. Probably i played Centurions too much.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 21 January 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

What about WHM-6R? Peeps and AC5's, the not-classic-but-old-meta. Still pushes 30 PPFLD strikes, is actually reasonable heat efficient (in so far as Wammies go anyways), has decent sustained fire ability. Not a huge scary alpha, but enough to do some damage. Projectile speed should be close, if my memory of the 6R's quirks holds

Just doesn't click for me... also is buttraped helpless if attacked by a decent light jock, IMO.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users