Ever Have That Mech You Just Want To Love...but You Are Horrible In It?

171 replies to this topic

#41 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

Every light mech in the game.

#42 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 21 January 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

What about WHM-6R? Peeps and AC5's, the not-classic-but-old-meta. Still pushes 30 PPFLD strikes, is actually reasonable heat efficient (in so far as Wammies go anyways), has decent sustained fire ability. Not a huge scary alpha, but enough to do some damage. Projectile speed should be close, if my memory of the 6R's quirks holds

I've run that in a Catapult K2 before. It's ok for firepower.

#43 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

Been playing TT Battletech since 1987, every single MW video game title... for 29 years.

My first mech ever? WHM-6R Warhammer. Been my favorite mech ever since. Have run that same character all these years, most of them, in that same old Warhammer.

And finally for the first time since the Crescent Hawk games.... I have my Warhammer again. I even can make it match my custom TT build (and improve it slightly).

And I suck in it. Horribly.

Yeah... it's a little squishy. Yes, my refusal to take the PPCs out of the arms doesn't help. And yet I see others do the same.... and are fine. But these.... are my lowest scoring heavies...and it's not close. My Dragons score higher. My stock Summoner Prime almost doubles the avg score.

It's that having to admit, I'm a mediocre Heavy Pilot at the best of times. I'm a Medium Jock. In an FPS, without that mobility.... I just stink. I'm still happy that it's here, and love how it looks..... but....

So yeah... 29 years in the making... and it's probably the worst fit for me of any mech. But I freely admit, the breakdown in this relationship.... it's not the Warhammer's fault. It's mine.

But realizing that still makes me a saaaaaad panda.

How about you guys, any tales of broken Mech homes, and heartbreak and woe?

Well, I had a similar experience with two mechs: the Mad Dog and the Marauder when I tried to stay more or less true to TT and lore builds.

I tried to run the Mad Dog as LRM fire support, dropped the LRM 20s down to 15s and the LPLs and MPLs to ERLLs and ERMLs for more armor and ammo. And man it was a slog. Almost turned me off of it forever.

Just about the same story with the Marauder. Kept the stock weapons, added ES and upgraded to Dubs. Couldn't kill a bloody thing. At least it was fairly tanky though, so at least I survived quite often. But I can't really say I was much of an asset to my team.

Sometimes you just gotta realize you can either run the build you want, or the mech you want, but not both if you actually want to feel like you're accomplishing something. I changed my builds on both of those mechs and more often than not I can hold my own in them now.

Yeah I know, that's not saying as much for the MAD as it is the MDD, because the MAD is a much better mech on its own.

#44 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Been playing TT Battletech since 1987, every single MW video game title... for 29 years.

My first mech ever? WHM-6R Warhammer. Been my favorite mech ever since. Have run that same character all these years, most of them, in that same old Warhammer.

And finally for the first time since the Crescent Hawk games.... I have my Warhammer again. I even can make it match my custom TT build (and improve it slightly).
Posted Image

Yeah... it's a little squishy. Yes, my refusal to take the PPCs out of the arms doesn't help. And yet I see others do the same.... and are fine. But these.... are my lowest scoring heavies...and it's not close. My Dragons score higher. My stock Summoner Prime almost doubles the avg score.

It's that having to admit, I'm a mediocre Heavy Pilot at the best of times. I'm a Medium Jock. In an FPS, without that mobility.... I just stink. I'm still happy that it's here, and love how it looks..... but....

So yeah... 29 years in the making... and it's probably the worst fit for me of any mech. But I freely admit, the breakdown in this relationship.... it's not the Warhammer's fault. It's mine.

probably be the hunchback for me. I always loved it in tabletop and it's one of my favourite looking mechs. Unfortunately for me if it's not a heavy I blow(well I can rock a centurian)

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 21 January 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

That's true, but it feels for me like wielding sword with left hand, and shield with right.. Probably i played Centurions too much.

Maybe I'm a Spartan at heart, or read too much Captain America as a kid.. but I find my Shield one of my most important weapons (though shield bashing is generally frowned on in the SCA) but most later period Euro fighters are rudely shocked to find out that a good spartan was just as deadly with his aspis as his dory or xiphos......Posted Image

#46 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

I've run that in a Catapult K2 before. It's ok for firepower.

Yeah, everyone who's been around for a while has run it, as it was what laser boats are now =)

It IS vulnerable up close to lights, though. I suppose you could trim 2t of ammo, and add 4 Small Lasers, then use the 5's and Smalls as anti-light weapons if that was an issue.

Still, it suffers from the fundamental "PPC's are just not good weapons right now, for a variety of reasons" problem. It invests so much tonnage and (imho, more importantly) heat capacity in those PPC's, and doesn't get enough out of them. That's just my feeling anyways.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Well, I had a similar experience with two mechs: the Mad Dog and the Marauder when I tried to stay more or less true to TT and lore builds.

I tried to run the Mad Dog as LRM fire support, dropped the LRM 20s down to 15s and the LPLs and MPLs to ERLLs and ERMLs for more armor and ammo. And man it was a slog. Almost turned me off of it forever.

Just about the same story with the Marauder. Kept the stock weapons, added ES and upgraded to Dubs. Couldn't kill a bloody thing. At least it was fairly tanky though, so at least I survived quite often. But I can't really say I was much of an asset to my team.

Sometimes you just gotta realize you can either run the build you want, or the mech you want, but not both if you actually want to feel like you're accomplishing something. I changed my builds on both of those mechs and more often than not I can hold my own in them now.

Yeah I know, that's not saying as much for the MAD as it is the MDD, because the MAD is a much better mech on its own.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

I just can't take a classic and toss hydros and spinners on it. Be it an Impala, or a Warhammer.

I'd literally rather leave it collecting dust in the garage than slap on fuschia metallic flake paint, shag carpet and velour.

I ain't some MetaPimp.

View PostWintersdark, on 21 January 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Yeah, everyone who's been around for a while has run it, as it was what laser boats are now =)

It IS vulnerable up close to lights, though. I suppose you could trim 2t of ammo, and add 4 Small Lasers, then use the 5's and Smalls as anti-light weapons if that was an issue.

Still, it suffers from the fundamental "PPC's are just not good weapons right now, for a variety of reasons" problem. It invests so much tonnage and (imho, more importantly) heat capacity in those PPC's, and doesn't get enough out of them. That's just my feeling anyways.

and admittedly, if it had Jager type arms... those PPCs of course could be massively more effective. But it doesn't, and anyone who actually is a fan of the IP knew this going in. It is what it is.

Could mitigate it some using the high torso mounts.... but If I'm gonna metawhore, I'll use a "Meta" Chassis, and not molest a classy iconic dame like the WHM.

#48 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 21 January 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

I agree. If you want, you could also try an squeeze 2 PPCs and 2 Ultra 5s. Sure the PPCs are useless, but 2 ultras pumping out shells would probably discourage many lights (assuming they don't jam up on you).

I've gone back to the good 'ol Snaggletooth build for now (1 A/C20, 1 PPC, 3 MLasers). It's a bit ugly, but has an ok strike and still has ok short range coverage.

Actually, I wonder if that would be ok in a Warhammer?

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostThunder Lips Express, on 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

probably be the hunchback for me. I always loved it in tabletop and it's one of my favourite looking mechs. Unfortunately for me if it's not a heavy I blow(well I can rock a centurian)

while for me, I am dang near magic in an HBK-4G (or a CN9). Really the only chassis I feel a bit cocky in. But could hold my own decently against and with Wispsy in my YLW, and my CN9-D is an AC10 jackhammer.

But when I absolutely, positively HAVE to wreck face? HBK-4G(F). Pretty sure Meisoohaityu will vouch for that.

Heck, I only ended at 16th on the Founders Challenge.... but also only played 12 total matches on it (and was 1st on the board when I left... but IRL trumps video games). Only 2 HBK guys I'll admit are flat better in em are Jman5 and Koreanese. Doesn't mean those guys are the only ones, just means that how confident and comfortable I feel in em.

But those are about the only two mechs I can lay with the wolves in.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 January 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#50 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

View PostApnu, on 21 January 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

The Zeus. I had such high hopes for it, but alas. I suck with it.

If we could raise arms up to shoulder level. Things would be better for the Zeus, Warhammer and quite a few others.

Zeus with XL engine and 3 or 4 LPL is a mech no one wants to tussle with. But they are not really the peak and poke mech that others are. They do surprisingly well in brawls setting with lots of cover.

Whammys do seem really squishy, I think they need some Love for those ST's to make them a little more XL viable.

Edited by Revis Volek, 21 January 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#51 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

I'm horrible in it too, I think it's bugged with pass through to rear hit box woes. How do I know? Killed with full front armor a bunch of times no XL, being shot by one or two enemies at most. Team behind me, and kill message with a name matching one of the guys in front of me.

But the back is blown out. I tweeted our overlord tweeter Russ about it hopefully he deigns to look in to it.

#52 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

Can't believe I forgot about the ultimate example:

Back in my TT days one of my favorites was the Victor. Here. I am not only bad in them, I am not sure there is even any point to them. Love the concept, hate the reality.

#53 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

Timberwolves. Always the damned Timberwolves.

In MW2 any mission I could run a Timber, I did.

In Mechcommander, I repeated that 3rd mission a few dozen times till I finally managed to salvage the Timberwolf.

Yet that thing absolutely hates me. I've tried all the Meta Builds. I've tried all the NON-Meta Builds. I've even tried the Derp Builds. I'm starting to think that PGI sold me Aidan Prydes Timberwolf.....

4 clan srm 6, 4-6 cspl profit.

#54 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

Narc's WHM-6R

Try this guy out Bishop.

I find that as a fire support mech I'm gonna stick near the assaults so that 20 PPFLD can be efficiently applied in a scalple like manner to whatever priority target the fatties are working on. So, Being slower isn't such a problem and the ability to keep fighting is worth it.

Using MPL gives me good punch against any light that would try to use my minimum range as an advantage. Plus most fights end up in the 200 meter range at some point where you can use both sets of weapons effectively giving you 44 damage pretty much wherever you want it.

#55 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostKHETTI, on 21 January 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

For me its the Atlas, i want so bad to be that unstoppable bad@ss in a surprise Atlas, but i just can't make that mech work for me.

Do they get the win though? My assault tend to have a kdr under one, way under sometiems like my MAL/KGC/EXEC with 0.5 but have a win rate of 2.0. This lead me to believe, the best thing to do in an assault is open the ct of 2 big guys, take all the damage you can take and then die and let the team clean up.

It's because you said unstoppable, i think you may be talking just about kdr.

Edited by DAYLEET, 21 January 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#56 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

@ Bishop Steiner

It's a bit hot, but it's hard to tell because the longer cooldown times on the A/C20 might allow for more cooling time. I'm not really sure it fits the feel of the Warhammer (it is a bit crazy of a build), but it might be ok.

Warhammer 6R:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a63d3c89b91b89f

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 21 January 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Zeus with XL engine and 3 or 4 LPL is a mech no one wants to tussle with. But they are not really the peak and poke mech that others are. They do surprisingly well in brawls setting with lots of cover.

Whammys do seem really squishy, I think they need some Love for those ST's to make them a little more XL viable.

ZEU-6S
seems simple but delivers. Mobile, twists easy, tanks like a boss.
Average dmg is only 422 (which for me as an average is pretty solid) in part because MPLs and ac10s don't tend to be splashy....you just core through things surprisingly fast. LRM15 is in part because hurts my brain to sword and board an iconic thing like the Zeus' missile rack..but a single missile rack is of MEH value... but being able to hit outside of LoS while closing is handy, and it's paid it's way well enough.

Oddly, the 5S with it's megaSRM stinkfist I don't do near as well in.

View PostBud Crue, on 21 January 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Can't believe I forgot about the ultimate example:

Back in my TT days one of my favorites was the Victor. Here. I am not only bad in them, I am not sure there is even any point to them. Love the concept, hate the reality.

You ever get to play em back before Paul nerfed everything BUT the right stuff to try to stop Poptarting? Back when they still had real JJs, and could twist like a champ while jumping? It was a boss chassis. Now? Much pain to drive.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 21 January 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

@ Bishop Steiner

It's a bit hot, but it's hard to tell because the longer cooldown times on the A/C20 might allow for more cooling time. I'm not really sure it fits the feel of the Warhammer (it is a bit crazy of a build), but it might be ok.

Warhammer 6R:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a63d3c89b91b89f

all you need to do is look in your right and left arms and you'll see why I will never drive it.

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 21 January 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

Narc's WHM-6R

Try this guy out Bishop.

I find that as a fire support mech I'm gonna stick near the assaults so that 20 PPFLD can be efficiently applied in a scalple like manner to whatever priority target the fatties are working on. So, Being slower isn't such a problem and the ability to keep fighting is worth it.

Using MPL gives me good punch against any light that would try to use my minimum range as an advantage. Plus most fights end up in the 200 meter range at some point where you can use both sets of weapons effectively giving you 44 damage pretty much wherever you want it.

was running that on my 6D, just never really gelled for me. Also haven't really found any durability/survivability advantage to STDs on em yet.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 21 January 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#58 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

But when I absolutely, positively HAVE to wreck face? HBK-4G(F). Pretty sure Meisoohaityu will vouch for that.

Yup. Bishop can wreck when piloting the Hunch 4G. I spectator him once (because of course I died before him :D) and he did some serious work. I wouldn't want him on the other team.

Not sucking up or anything, he was really doing a number on them. It was fun to watch.

#59 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

Dragons.

I love how they look and I own most of them, but I just can't get them to work for me. Most consistent success I've had is 2x ERLL + Gauss on the DRG-1C, but I wouldn't call it impressive. Anybody can take any 'Mech and pack in some ERLL + Goose to do well. And if that un-CASE-able arm goes boom on the Dragon, so does the whole 'Mech. Everybody knows to shoot off the arm on a Dragon.

I see plenty of people just totally wreck face in Dragons, but I can't do it. I can play Locusts and Mist Lynxes no problem, but you put me and a Dragon and I might as well be Tier Potato.

#60 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 January 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

it's been 25 years or so... couldn't remember which one, or if both had it.

Just in case you're interested, you can play them right in your browser any time the mood strikes you.

http://www.myabandon...-s-inception-ev

http://www.myabandon...awks-revenge-lp

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users