Metagame BattleMechs Weapons

88 replies to this topic

#1 Hazzula

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:49 AM

With LRM boats back in vogue, and LRMs falling from the sky like its 2013, i decided to make a list of all of the battlemechs with multiple AMS hardpoints.

You can check it out here.

I made the list for people who want mechs with more AMS hardpoints because lets face it, with the amount of LRMs falling from the sky and the fact that you cant laser them to death, 2 is better than one.

unfortunately i dont have enough cbills to buy the mechs and test loadouts so i would appreciate it if people who can test out some multiple AMS loadouts share them with us Posted Image

#2 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:57 AM

Ive ran a triple AMS Kit Fox a few times. I didnt really contribute much via damage output but like to think the 7000 or 9000 AMS rounds (I cant remember off hand) I went through during the match contributed to our victory.

But is not a necessity if you play smart/ get lucky or both.

Edit added....thinking about it, even though I ran it with good intentions, it was as much a lazy way for me to play as it is people a) spamming Lurms or b ) people not bothering to equip AMS themselves.

I dont enjoy Lurming and neither do I enjoy playing a CiWS mech.

Edited by Soultraxx, 25 January 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I don't have a huge amount of mechs but the ones I do have are all interesting. One of them is a dual AMS STK with range 5 and overload 5.

It is not to worried about LRM's for the most part. Being an assault it has managed to take a massive amount of LRM's on at least one occasion and walk away. This is something that would be fun to test in a private match.

Edited by Johnny Z, 25 January 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#4 Hazzula

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 25 January 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Ive ran a triple AMS Kit Fox a few times. I didnt really contribute much via damage output but like to think the 7000 or 9000 AMS rounds (I cant remember off hand) I went through during the match contributed to our victory.

i have been thinking about getting this mech to use as support or a scout. Its default loadout does seem awfully scout like. Im waiting to see if they put it up on sale after the current sale. If they don't then i might as well buy it and see how it handles.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

LRMs boats are never consistent in performance, so I am never afraid of them. Matter of fact, I had this recent match where half the enemy team were LRM boats. I traded fire with them using my BJ-1, and of the hundreds of LRMs launched at me, not even single one hit. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 25 January 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#6 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 January 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

LRMs boats are never consistent in performance, so I am never afraid of them. Matter of fact, I had this recent match where half the enemy team were LRM boats. I traded fire with them using my BJ-1, and of the hundreds of LRMs launched at me, not even single one hit. Posted Image

Posted Image

Wait wut? so #pgilovesLURMS not OP?

Posted Image

#7 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

LRMs only function on a few maps,Like stepping out at Sigma on Polar will get your *** rekt by LRMs.

Typically taking dual AMS doesnt do much.

Edited by mogs01gt, 25 January 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#8 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

View PostHazzula, on 25 January 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

i have been thinking about getting this mech to use as support or a scout. Its default loadout does seem awfully scout like. Im waiting to see if they put it up on sale after the current sale. If they don't then i might as well buy it and see how it handles.

Im not a fan of Kit Foxes in any form to be honest - mostly because Im terrible in them. I wouldn't recommend buying them

I think my CiWS KF had ECM, 2 MLs and a SRM4 or 6 with 1 tonne of ammo. The rest was AMS related equipment. Not exactly toothless, but hardly a beast.

If you're thinking of getting one then a forum post asking for advice would be very useful for you (certainly more useful than my own "i suck in them so dont buy them" comment above.

Edited by Soultraxx, 25 January 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#9 MadMaxMKII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

I love my Atlas K
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ac4687744acaf2

#10 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostMadMaxMKII, on 25 January 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

Without even opening your build link, I can safely say there is no reason to take out an Atlas K...ever.

#11 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

I've been hearing in chat in the Twitch streams that anything over 2 AMS is pointless because the 3rd one is bugged and it targets the same missiles as AMS #2 basically making the 3rd AMS do nothing but waste precious AMS ammo.

If this is true then only 1 and 2 AMS seems to be really useful.

Also on that list, you forgot the Nova S. While stock it doesn't have more than 1 AMS, it is the only Nova variant who gets a CT AMS hard point where you can add in an A left and right Torso making it the only Nova variant that can mount 3 AMS.

Edited by mariomanz28, 25 January 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 25 January 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

LRMs only function on a few maps. Taking duel AMS doesnt do much.

Like stepping out at Sigma on Polar will get your *** rekt by LRMs.

Sounds like Russ is going to change it so we get paid when shooting down lrms. Might start being worth taking just for the few extra cbills :)

#13 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

People might equip AMS more if you actually got rewarded for shooting down missiles.

But the bigger problem with AMS is that its functionally useless if no one on the enemy team brings missiles. You should be able to fire AMS manually like a machine gun (like you can in battletech). So it still has a use even when no one on the other team has missiles.

The triple AMS kitfox would be pretty badass then with the extra firepower.

Edited by Khobai, 25 January 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#14 Hazzula

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

View Postmariomanz28, on 25 January 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

I've been hearing in chat in the Twitch streams that anything over 2 AMS is pointless because the 3rd one is bugged and it targets the same missiles as AMS #2 basically making the 3rd AMS do nothing but waste precious AMS ammo.

If this is true then only 1 and 2 AMS seems to be really useful.

Also on that list, you forgot the Nova S. While stock it doesn't have more than 1 AMS, it is the only Nova variant who gets a CT AMS hard point where you can add in an A left and right Torso making it the only Nova variant that can mount 3 AMS.

did not know about that 3rd AMS bug! might hold off on buying that kit fox then. Im trying to rack up IS loyalty at the moment and i have only one clan mech, so i forgot that you can swap omnipods! that would in fact allow a nova 3 AMS hardpoints (Nova S CT and Nova A RT and LT) thanks for the idea! Ill have to look more into the 3rd AMS bug. I loved the Nova back in MW2 and this would be a good enough reason to have one of these in my mechbays.

#15 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

Meh, just equip Radar Dep and you're good.

#16 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 25 January 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Meh, just equip Radar Dep and you're good.

Target mod cancels it out and any LRM boat worth a damn has target mod...I know i carry it on mine :P

#17 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

Target mod cancels it out and any LRM boat worth a damn has target mod...I know i carry it on mine

it doesnt exactly cancel it out

lock-on decay is normally 2s
target decay mod increases lock-on decay by 1.5s
radar derp mod decreases lock-on decay by 2s

so you still come out slightly ahead with radar derp. and youre certainly better off than if you dont have radar derp.

Edited by Khobai, 25 January 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#18 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 25 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

Target mod cancels it out and any LRM boat worth a damn has target mod...I know i carry it on mine Posted Image

Read Khobai's post below. He's more knowledgeable than you, so perhaps he's the LRM boats that's worth more? Posted Image

If it truly canceled, as you claim, then Radar Dep would be rendered fully ineffective. A better way to look at it, would be that Radar Dep and standard lock on decay cancel each other out, while Decay simply adds back some of the lost time.

Bottomline, Radar Dep + cover = invincible to LRMs. The only way to beat Radar Dep is to have a UAV up or a dedicated spotter, both of which are easy to mitigate.

View PostKhobai, on 25 January 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

it doesnt exactly cancel it out

lock-on decay is normally 2s
target decay increases lock-on decay by 1.5s
radar derp decreases lock-on decay by 2s

so you still come out slightly ahead with radar derp

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

I wish mechs with extra AMS hardpoints wouldn't lose out on quirks because of it Posted Image, multiple AMS hardpoints are still not worth losses in quirks.

#20 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

I wish mechs with extra AMS hardpoints wouldn't lose out on quirks because of it Posted Image, multiple AMS hardpoints are still not worth losses in quirks.

well if AMS could be switched into manual fire mode and fired as machine guns, per my suggestion above, they would kindve count as hardpoints. I remember it being allowed in one of the battletech books, maximum tech?

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users