36 replies to this topic

#21 Ricktor Black

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

Wow, that's great! Thanks for the tips. I just tried this out and ran around in the testing ground with my CV1. That was pretty awesome. I'm not sure if I would really play like that too much, but that was cool.

#22 BiggRigg42

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

I can't get VorpX to work on the Oculus Rift, but I can get it to work on a different couple of games. Did PGI kill this in an update?

#23 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Any chance on support DEV's?

#24 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

I know PGI did have a Oculus DK2 setup at the steam release being there. I take it no word on an eta of when they plan to finish it for VR owners like myself I would really like to play on my CV1

#25 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

It would be amazing for a Dev to respond to this topic. Some idea of support or not would be great. A VR headset is the literal way the game is meant to be played. There is a game coming out on the market for mech-based combat that is going to steal potential customers if MWO would just implement this properly and market it through VR channels.

#26 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:55 AM

Maybe they'll have support for it in MW5.

#27 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

I mean they had a build up at the steam release which bothers me one would think it would be fully implemented by now. Yes it wasn't perfect the hud needed a bit of work to see everything but it was very playable and I'm finding it rather embarrassing that I need to use a 3rd party program with little to no word from the dev about this

#28 Ratsnacker

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

I literally only play games that support VR now. I really want to come back, but the waiting has been going on for too long now. It's so frustrating to know that they've had a dabble, but not returned anything official in over 2 years! Many other developers have implemented VR to their games to good effect in vey little time (War Thunder, Elite: Dangerous, iRacing to name a few).

#29 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

The fact that they have access to such a developed game and refuse to even state why they have not added support into the game for over 2 years in just bad marketing. @mwodevs You need to add this feature to the game and bring in the high-end crowd. The people that own VR setups have cash to burn due to the expense and would scoop up the mech packs with their flammable income with very little marketing on your end you could make a killing. This is an untapped market missing a killer title. MWO can be the title that brings VR into the mainstream!!!!!

#30 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

the base engine has support for stereoscopic devices, beyond that its probably 'too hard' within the current engine ... there are some cvars that might be relative to you guys, but IDK, haven't played with any 3D stuff since it first come out ... a quick look reveals people using SBS mode with a software hack with a CV1 ... whatever all of that is .... so I'm just going to dump relevant cvar info here and leave you to it ....

variable: sys_flash_stereo_maxparallax 
type: float
current: 0.02
help: Maximum parallax when viewing Flash content in stereo 3D

variable: r_StereoDevice DUMPTODISK, REQUIRE_APP_RESTART
type: int
current: 0
help: Sets stereo device (only possible before app start)
Usage: r_StereoDevice [0/1/2/3/4]
0: No stereo support (default)
1: Frame compatible formats (side-by-side, interlaced, anaglyph)
2: HDMI 1.4 (PS3 only)
3: Stereo driver (PC only, NVidia or AMD)
4: Dualhead (PC only, two projectors or iZ3D screen)
100: Auto-detect device for platform

variable: r_StereoEyeDist DUMPTODISK
current: 0.02
help: Maximum separation between stereo images in percentage of the screen.

variable: r_StereoFlipEyes DUMPTODISK
help: Flip eyes in stereo mode.
Usage: r_StereoFlipEyes [0=off/1=on]
0: don't flip
1: flip

variable: r_StereoGammaAdjustment DUMPTODISK
current: 0.12
help: Additional adjustment to the graphics card gamma correction when Stereo is enabled.
Usage: r_StereoGammaAdjustment [offset]0: off

variable: r_StereoHudScreenDist DUMPTODISK
current: 0.5
help: Distance to plane where hud stereo parallax converges to zero.
If not zero, HUD needs to be rendered two times.

variable: r_StereoMode DUMPTODISK
help: Sets stereo rendering mode.
Usage: r_StereoMode [0=off/1/2]
1: Dual rendering
2: Post Stereo

variable: r_StereoNearGeoScale DUMPTODISK
current: 0.65
help: Scale for near geometry (weapon) that gets pushed into the screen

variable: r_StereoOutput DUMPTODISK
help: Sets stereo output. Output depends on the stereo monitor
Usage: r_StereoOutput [0=off/1/2/3/4/5/6]
0: Standard
1: IZ3D
2: Checkerboard (not supported on X360)
3: Above and Below (not supported)
4: Side by Side
5: Line by Line (Interlaced)
6: Anaglyph

variable: r_StereoScreenDist DUMPTODISK
current: 0.25
help: Distance to plane where stereo parallax converges to zero.

variable: r_StereoStrength DUMPTODISK
current: 1
help: Multiplier which influences the strength of the stereo effect.

#31 DeeHawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

I really cant see this happening guys. It is possible, sure, but heres why not:

1. The client being notorously sluggish in performance, while we're looking for a stable 90fps to meet the No Vomit requirement. No one will be able to run it right.

2. Total remake of HUD and menues for 3D required. And you all know how much spare time PGI has.

3. Mechwarrior 5 is currently being build in Unreal 4 engine, which has.. drumroll... native VR support!

#32 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

2. Total remake of HUD and menues for 3D required. And you all know how much spare time PGI has.

If they making total HUD/menu remake for 3D then they should also make a real 2D version for people who don't like scaleform and such.

#33 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

View PostDeeHawk, on 07 May 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

the only real problem being, that MW5 is single player, and we have no idea if they are working on the multiplayer side or not ... and if they are not, and they try to patch it in later, its going to end up the same as in cryengine, bogged down by bad implementation ...

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 07 May 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

scaleform itself isn't so much of the problem, its just the way its implemented ... its meant to be used very lightly ... and ... well ... its not ... I'm getting rather sick of the flash from the battery graphic whenever my mech powers up or down ... when playing conquest, and I have no need for that element to have ever been loaded during that run ...

#34 DeeHawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

I don't think the single player thing is considered a problem. Actually it's a good place to start as we have no idea of how much of an advantage/disadvantage you will have, playing in VR vs non-VR.

I do understand that you are majorly inconvenienced by this, but VR development is slow an unprofitable right now, which means they will not give a 100% to make this the #1 feature. But it actually does require that in order to work comfortably.

#35 DeeHawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 07 May 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

If they making total HUD/menu remake for 3D then they should also make a real 2D version for people who don't like scaleform and such.

Yes. And they have time for neither.

#36 Daddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

The game plays great on upper-level machines. The people that are pushing Vr headsets have the money to run the game at the settings needed to make it happen lag free. I can play the game lag free currently in VR with the aiming being stuck to my head movement. This does get disorienting due to the speed the mechs torso moves but the performance isnt the issue. The issue is the death animation and the lack of freelook in VR.

#37 DeeHawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

You say it plays great. It does. But it doesn't play 'stable 90fps great'.

i7 6700K, Fast DDR4, M.2 SSD and 980Ti (and 100Mbps fiber), and STILL I still get some stutters on 1080p, especially when running lights (+130 kph). Graphical settings doesn't change this. This was a huge problem once, related to CPU usage, but it seems to have been fixed somewhat.

It probably plays just fine (I haven't payed for VorpX, so I haven't tried) for most parts, but it'll be less than optimal. And as developer you commit to your content and will have to answer to support issues. It's not a very attractive scenario for a game that's already last gen. Especially not considering the entitlement of the average player. A lot of players have lost their marbles over less.
However, I do believe it would relatively easy to make freelook work in VR with just a little cooperation from PGI, but I do not believe in fairy tales.

Just out of curiousity. How is the HUD in the HMD? Can you read the paperdolls and letters in the HUD? I'm would like to try it, if I didn't have to pay for what I expect to be a gimmick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users