Achievements

57 replies to this topic

#1 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

Sorry this will be some harsh criticism, but I'm shaking my head at their KickStarter campaign in which they raised over 2.7 million.

First off I'd like to say Shadowrun was incredibly overrated and I truly regret purchasing it during the Steam Sale.

Back to the upcoming Battletech game, what HBS does best is make KickStarter videos rather than games with longevity. Looking at the early in-engine video, I can immediately see that this game will be more shallow than MechCommander Gold, which offered real time gameplay and control of up to 3 lances.

As of right now, it looks like most of the development has gone into making graphics for KickStarter rewards and backer goals.

PGI, I hope you were compensated for 'sharing' those Mech assets and designs.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

it was only $30

Ive spent way more on MWO and regretted it

#3 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

I think it is too soon to be making such judgements

Wait until the anniversary of the kickstarter "kickoff", then see where it is at.

Personally I liked Shadowrun. But, replay value was pretty much nil. The latter 2 of the 3 games were much better than the first one, BTW.
---

edit:

You know, it would almost be worth it, if HBS did f**k the dog n this one. Just cause watching this forum erupt would be so intense, your monitor would shoot lava out of it into your eyeballs...

edit 2, in which csand "runs with the ball"

...,then your head would explode, and from the stump of your neck would emit a huge beam. This would happen to all people who read the forum, or funded the kickstarter, doubly powerful from those who did both, all those beams would combine, forming a giant circle of clouds in the sky that was bright blue. This circle would eventually reach a critical point when it would close up, and after a brief second of peace, the world would be torched from top to bottom. And the only man left alive would be Jordan Weisman, sitting alone at a computer desk in a barren wasteland that is planet earth, with an several APC battery backup powering his laptop which contained only a rough copy of Battletech, but to his dismay, there will be no replay value, because it was a half-assed game... leaving him alone, in the desert, with only the universe staring down at him, mocking him. Until one day he hears a motor approaching, and feebly he waves his arms to attract attention if possible. The motor approaches and stop, and footsteps are heard. Then he hears a voice. It's Russ. He has gone mad over the years, cradling a 5000 page paper spool, and a dvd copy of the MWO client. He can't speak properly. He keeps saying "ghost heat" and "3pv" and "CW phase 3 is coming soon". But all he wants is his art assets back, he plans of reforming PGI. Unable to communicate his message to JW properly through his madness babble, JW becomes scared, and bashes Russ with his laptop, destroying it, and the art assets it holds. Russ enters a rage, strangling JW with the spool of paper.
What was on the printed papers?
A full content printout of the entire MWO forums. The last thing JW sees as his consciousness fades is a forum post, by Paul, explaining that he is leaving PGI to join HBS as head balance technician. Devoid of hope and filled with despair, he drifts into the abyss, his corpse lying in the same spot for millenia until the very earth is consumed by the sun, the universe eventually slows, and again there is nothing in the endless expanse, nothing that is except the DVD Russ was clutching. Which eventually over the trillions of years becomes the catalyst for the next big bang, reigniting the universe with such violence and beauty that no being will ever witness or comprehend.

Such would be the rage of the forumites. So as you see, HBS cannot fail, everything is on the line here

Edited by cSand, 26 January 2016 - 09:52 PM.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 26 January 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

I can immediately see that this game will be more shallow than MechCommander Gold,

Yes, I'm sure you can.

#5 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

So crying because you have no HOT NEWS?

#6 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Looking at the early in-engine video, I can immediately see that this game will be more shallow than MechCommander Gold, which offered real time gameplay and control of up to 3 lances.

Do you mean that real time gameplay is better than turn-based?

#7 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 January 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yes, I'm sure you can.

MechCommander Gold already offered voice acting, unique mech pilots, multiplayer; whereas, HBS set these features behind kickstarter paywalls to even think about doing it.

#8 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Btw were you expecting a RTS when(if) you paid into it?

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostDamocles, on 26 January 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

He shouldn't have been.

I was hoping for an Animated MegaMek...but I won't be getting that.
Should still be adequate.

#10 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 January 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

He shouldn't have been.

I was hoping for an Animated MegaMek...but I won't be getting that.
Should still be adequate.

Right he shouldn't. But you never know what kind of moron you have until it's too late.

And agreed on your second point.

#11 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostDamocles, on 26 January 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Wow I didn't know I ever confirmed backing this kickstarter!!

Considering I already have experience with underwhelming HBS products - namely Shadowrun, there's absolutely no way I'd throw away money to this kickstarter so they can fund more infographics and more youtube videos of Jordan Weisman begging for money.

#12 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 26 January 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

MechCommander Gold already offered voice acting, unique mech pilots, multiplayer; whereas, HBS set these features behind kickstarter paywalls to even think about doing it.

MechCommander made $200 million at launch. In 1998. How much do you think it cost to develop in 1998 dollars? (Hint - a lot more than 2.7 million). Now imagine that in adjusted dollars.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your Shadowrun purchase. You are in the minority, it's hardly "overrated" - its a solid 7 out of 10.
http://www.metacriti...adowrun-returns

HBS games are not for you, fine. Doesn't make them wrong for everyone else or 'pandering panhandlers'

#13 Eregion

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 26 January 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Wow I didn't know I ever confirmed backing this kickstarter!!

Considering I already have experience with underwhelming HBS products - namely Shadowrun, there's absolutely no way I'd throw away money to this kickstarter so they can fund more infographics and more youtube videos of Jordan Weisman begging for money.

lol

But why do I still care to read this troll?

#14 Unreliable Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

I got countless hours of enjoyment out of the Shadowrun games they made, thanks to the original campaigns and tons of user created content. It is on that basis that I gave them funds for the kickstarter.

#15 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

Inevitably there will be a segment of the community that will be disappointed and most likely furious that the game isn't what they expected. There are some in the community that are too quick with their wallet and look upon the franchise with rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Then become angry when the reality of what they're getting doesn't match their vision.

I'm fully expecting it to be average game. I enjoyed Shadowrun to a point. If it's at least a little better, I'll probably enjoy it enough to put down money.

Edited by MechaBattler, 26 January 2016 - 10:47 PM.

#16 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

so you're complaining about a game that isn't released from a kickstarter you didn't even contribute to.

WTF was the point of this thread again?

#17 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:06 PM

Talking about letting down Battletech fans after a crowdfunding campaign...on a forum run by PGI. Plus you didn't even back it yourself and you think that talking to a camera in an office costs money...

Troll or cretin confirmed.

#18 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

all three shadowruns were ok, the second and third one are good if not partly even excellent. The payerbase in general was pleased with all three games, look at the ratings. The fan service with free upgrades to 'Director's cut' versions is above industry standard and hs' patch policy is fair.

what tbh is pissing you off? And what the heck do you really want except some territorial pissings.

Edited by kesmai, 26 January 2016 - 11:22 PM.

#19 Bergitor

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

Sorry this will be some harsh criticism, but I'm shaking my head at their KickStarter campaign in which they raised over 2.7 million.

First off I'd like to say Shadowrun was incredibly overrated and I truly regret purchasing it during the Steam Sale.

Back to the upcoming Battletech game, what HBS does best is make KickStarter videos rather than games with longevity. Looking at the early in-engine video, I can immediately see that this game will be more shallow than MechCommander Gold, which offered real time gameplay and control of up to 3 lances.

As of right now, it looks like most of the development has gone into making graphics for KickStarter rewards and backer goals.

PGI, I hope you were compensated for 'sharing' those Mech assets and designs.

I think you need to set realistic expectations. They are a small independent game studio. Not a triple A developer. Their products are quite serviceable for what they are. I enjoyed Shadowrun and its later iterations, which got better the more they tweaked their engine and system. Which I suspect will be the case with this game. They'll release a passable- see enjoyable- game, and then work to produce DLC or sequels that take the game in new and exciting directions.

#20 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

I kinda hope the maps are little bigger then like 8x8 hex maps....

Like 400x400 hexes would be good...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users