Payback Ii Event Updated!

168 replies to this topic

#101 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

View Postshaterbane, on 28 January 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

And this is why I wonder about the legality in my state. If you have to pay to gain access to potentially gaining the prizes, my state defines that as gambling, which is illegal. Magic: The Gathering tournaments where you ante were deemed to be illegal here in the 90s because it was/is considered a form of gambling. Edit: However, if all the required mechs were in the trial options, that would remove the gambling aspect since it would then qualify as "No purchase necessary to win."

I understand your concern, but this is less of an issue of gambling. I mean, you just need to get into a match with any freely available mech and pick one target and punch it as hard as you can for as long as you can to get KMMD. Some folks purchased packages and only some of those mechs apply for the bonus. I mean, I have a hard time thinking that any reasonable person would consider this a form of gambling. I mean, you seriously do not run the risk of losing anything that you haven't already lost (money spent on the noted mech packs) or were not inclined to lose anyway (the time spent to play the game).

I mean, you can get several KMMDs and still lose the match, you can win the match and get 0 KMMDs as well... but you don't actually lose anything.

With regard to the ruling on M:tG, yeah, I can actually see that as gambling, because in the course of that game, you do legitimately run the risk of actually losing something that has some sort of monetary value (thing you are putting up for ante). This is why all of the M:tG tourneys that I've seen ignored the ante thing (no risk to players).

#102 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

View Postshaterbane, on 28 January 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

And this is why I wonder about the legality in my state. If you have to pay to gain access to potentially gaining the prizes, my state defines that as gambling, which is illegal. Magic: The Gathering tournaments where you ante were deemed to be illegal here in the 90s because it was/is considered a form of gambling.

Edit: However, if all the required mechs were in the trial options, that would remove the gambling aspect since it would then qualify as "No purchase necessary to win."

I could see this being more valid for "games of chance" but this is (hypothetically) a "game of skill"

By your definition, World of Warcraft would be gambling for any of the fishing tournaments that took place in areas that were unrealistice for a f2p account character to roam (i.e. lvl 19 in Northrend????).

Besides, States only interest in gambling (regulated or unregulated) is ensuring they get their cut, or squashing it if they feel they can't get their due.

You are buying a product, albeit a digital one. you are guaranteed 1mill for each KMD milestone completed, there is no gambling. The only part that is indeterminate is how long it takes.

That is rather different that playing a card game.

Edited by Ironically Ironclad Irony, 28 January 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#103 shaterbane

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 28 January 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

I understand your concern, but this is less of an issue of gambling. I mean, you just need to get into a match with any freely available mech and pick one target and punch it as hard as you can for as long as you can to get KMMD.

It's more of a curiosity question. I earned about 6 million c-bills yesterday through normal play, so it's not the money. The question is, since 14/15th (now 16/17ths) of the prizes are pay gated, is that 1 non pay gated prize is also not legal here. Past experience tells me that yes, the entire competition is not open to me.

#104 shaterbane

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostIronically Ironclad Irony, on 28 January 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

I could see this being more valid for "games of chance" but this is (hypothetically) a "game of skill"

By your definition, World of Warcraft would be gambling for any of the fishing tournaments that took place in areas that were unrealistice for a f2p account character to roam (i.e. lvl 19 in Northrend????)

Gambling by the state laws here include games of skill. Of course, it could be worse. At least my state isn't one of those that are included in the general "No purchase necessary to win, not valid in (list of 2-3 states)".

Again, the note that I'm just being a pedant about things, not really concerned about it. Call it my pre-law minor lo those many years ago (among many other minors, i'm just one of those people who can't make up their mind even after getting a degree or three).

#105 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

I wonder how the international aspect of it would affect that perspective...

#106 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

Shatterbane:

If the prizes were of actual monetary value, I can see there being a greater concern for what you're talking about, but the fact of the matter is that the rewards (C-Bills) have no real-world value. So I really don't see any reasonable person considering this gambling...

#107 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

Believe me, if Maryland could tax cbills, they would tax the **** outta them...

#108 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 28 January 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Believe me, if Maryland could tax cbills, they would tax the **** outta them...

Well... yeah. Because Maryland...

Only state that I know of that has a "Rain Tax"...

#109 Exbe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

Got confused about
  • SCR-PRIME [S]

There is PRIME and PRIME[Champion]. What's the "S" variant then?

Will regular prime or champion prime qualify for this challenge?

#110 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

I would tell them that I earned then in 3051 so come back in a few centuries to collect.

It has to have the [S] at the end... or be the whammer/Marauder hero...

Sarah's Jenner is excluded... sadly...

#111 Lujke85

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the challenge! Really stretching my legs with these mechs! Definitely helps with the sale on too!

#112 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostExbe, on 28 January 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

Got confused about
  • SCR-PRIME [S]

There is PRIME and PRIME[Champion]. What's the "S" variant then?

Will regular prime or champion prime qualify for this challenge?

The SCR-Prime(S) is the 'Special' variant of the Stormcrow that is included with the Medium 'Mech Performance Pack.

As far as the other types of SCR-Prime qualifying, I am going to go with the answer being 'no'. This event is pretty much catering to those people who dropped the money on the Marauder, Warhammer, Origins and Performance Packs (the later of which are more for the Steam crowd anyway).

#113 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 28 January 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

The SCR-Prime(S) is the 'Special' variant of the Stormcrow that is included with the Medium 'Mech Performance Pack.

As far as the other types of SCR-Prime qualifying, I am going to go with the answer being 'no'. This event is pretty much catering to those people who dropped the money on the Marauder, Warhammer, Origins and Performance Packs (the later of which are more for the Steam crowd anyway).

Good summary! +1!

#114 RazarG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGrandside, Sydney

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Why doesnt my Invasion stormcrow prime count? Or my Timberwolf C that i paid $$ for.

This is rubbish, only for people who bought mechs recently or somthing?

#115 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

There were events in the past for just about every pack. They've always run events for the latest products.

#116 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 27 January 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

But I think that the warhammer itself was a waste of money.

Posted Image

#117 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostRazarG, on 28 January 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

Why doesnt my Invasion stormcrow prime count? Or my Timberwolf C that i paid $$ for.

Because those of us who bought those packs already got our really cool event(s).

View PostRushin Roulette, on 28 January 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Sheesh, for all those complaining about "I paid for Mechpack X but dont get anything!!!11ONE" Marauder https://mwomercs.com...t=201509payback Clan Wave 3 https://mwomercs.com...ts?t=201506wave Clan Wave 1 and 2 (including Gold Mechs) https://mwomercs.com...ts?t=201505clan Founders https://mwomercs.com...nts?t=201505flb

View PostRazarG, on 28 January 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

This is rubbish, only for people who bought mechs recently or somthing?

Oh, look, I can complain too!

OMG! WHY HASN'T PGI DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR PHOENIX PACK?!? WHY WE ALWAYS GET SCREWED?!? I BOUGHT THIS THING 2 YEARS AGO!!! WAHHHH!!!

Seriously though, this is pretty much exactly what PGI pretty much always does. New mechs get released, they hold events that mostly focus on those. Pretty much happens like clockwork really...

Do you honestly think PGI should constantly always cater to those people who bought something 1, 2 or more years ago? Look, you should be thankful they are holding events like this at all!

#118 Kai Allard-Liao

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 27 January 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

I am kinda annoyed with this. I bought the stupid warhammer package but got the hero instead of the champion. Kinda get screwed. But I think that the warhammer itself was a waste of money. If I could return it, I would. Now this challenge comes out and slaps me in the face again. PGI: "Thanks for the money sucka! Here is another way to screw you ROFL."

That's sad. I think the Warhammer is a fine machine. I sucked with it at first, but then I found the right combination and it all came together.

That said, I am annoyed by this challenge. Really, the only thing that makes a mech qualify is an S behind the name? Get out.

#119 groves226

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

So much complaining. It could literally rain strippers, cash, and booze and you would still complain that you didn't get condoms and a hotel room too.

(hat tip to Terminal Lance for that line)

#120 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

...well.. if it was raining hotel rooms I wouldn't complain, i'd run for my life!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users