BattleMechs

101 replies to this topic

#61 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

The best of all possible names for a RAC-armed Urbie: "Dustbin Chainsaw Massacre."

You're welcome. Posted Image

#62 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostKhereg, on 28 January 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

I have a rather extensive friends list in game...

I'm not sure what time I'll be on tonight, but friend me or ping me when you see me (probably after 10pm EST) and we'll get an Urbie group going.

Don't be planning to pad your stats. I'm just sayin'.

I'll try and wrangle one of the streamers from my unit to join the shenanigans and broadcast our epicness.

Edited to add: we should get multiple urbie 12-man's going and see if we can run into each other in group queue.

What time will you be on? I should be on around 5:30 p.m. CST... I will add you.

#63 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 28 January 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

Honestly, the CDA-2A(C) might be my favorite Cicada and one of my favorite mediums. I haven't touched it in the Mechbay either (other than camo and modules). This mech made me like the Cicada because previously I thought they were ugly houses on chicken legs (insert pic of Baba Yaga's hut). Well OK I still think that, but I at least now appreciate and respec the mech.

I might sell the 3M despite the ECM, it just doesn't speak to me. The 2B is my problem child of the bunch. I'll sell it and let my Crab handle the MPLaser duty (way more durable for a close range fighter).

If I have one word of advise for the 2A, it is an excellent poker with decent MLaser range. Play it like a big coward (keep your distance, poke and run... Poke and run...), and you will get much better results.

I always thought the front center of the Cicada looks like an old Winnebago RV. LOL

#64 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

i like when i take an urbie and some players on my team tell me to take a real mech, and at the end of the game i outdo them in both kills and damage. thats always fun.

#65 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 28 January 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Smells like a disgusting Laser-centric build Posted Image

All my urbies are laser based. Only one has ballistics and that's in the form of 4MGs.
Bite me :)

#66 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Urbie group forming up - friend me in game for an invite.

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 28 January 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

All my urbies are laser based. Only one has ballistics and that's in the form of 4MGs.
Bite me Posted Image

Neg, I will simply kill you with proper Urbie builds if the Lazor in Question is not at least 2xLL or an LPL.

Urbie does not HAVE to have an AC. It does have to have a BFG, not lil pewpews.

#68 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

Only 2 of us were interested in an all Urbie drop...even during an event. *sniff*

I will be back online momentarily. Friend me if you are interested in forming an Urbie group/drop. :D

#69 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostJohn Archer, on 28 January 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

Only 2 of us were interested in an all Urbie drop...even during an event. *sniff*

I will be back online momentarily. Friend me if you are interested in forming an Urbie group/drop. Posted Image

I'd be interested, but just can't find the motivation to fire up the game tonight, period. Think I'm just going to veg and watch tv.

#70 John Archer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 402 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 January 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

I'd be interested, but just can't find the motivation to fire up the game tonight, period. Think I'm just going to veg and watch tv.

Bah!!! :)

#71 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

Take an ac20 urb. Get polar highlands, conquest.

"Lights, go cap."
"Urbie, you're a lights, go cap!"
"We're losing on caps! Urbie, save us!"

Goddamn it that is not how Urbies work, people!

I love the Urbs, but that gigantic gun arm is something of a target. It can be hard to keep an ac/20 through all 21 shots. It's sad, but I've refit one urbs with 2 LPL instead of a big ballistics and it invariably out damages and outlasts the proper urbs.

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

View Postno one, on 28 January 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

Take an ac20 urb. Get polar highlands, conquest.

"Lights, go cap."
"Urbie, you're a lights, go cap!"
"We're losing on caps! Urbie, save us!"

Goddamn it that is not how Urbies work, people!

I love the Urbs, but that gigantic gun arm is something of a target. It can be hard to keep an ac/20 through all 21 shots. It's sad, but I've refit one urbs with 2 LPL instead of a big ballistics and it invariably out damages and outlasts the proper urbs.

2xLPL are still "BFG" so IMO, acceptable.

#73 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

I've actually been having better results with my AC10 Urbie of late, compared to my LPL/2MPL/3MG and 2ERLL/4MG laser-centric builds and higher-facetime AC5/4ML and UAC5/3ML builds. Half the time it sure feels like the bad guys don't even know where I'm shooting them from. I was having a pretty hard time breaking even last night right up until I dropped in the up-engined stock weapon R60 and then it was 300-500 damage 1-4 kills the rest of the night even on losses. Even managed to clean up a few damaged 'Mechs with my small laser after running out of ammo or losing my AC10, and I can only imagine the keyboard-throwing frustration that induced on the other end of the connection. Nobody likes to be the badass 75-ton heavy that got cherry-tapped to death with a cat toy.

The only real problem I keep running into is that any brain-dead fool in a Cheetah, Firestarter, Oxide, or JR7-IIC can just run right up and melt my face before I can even get through their armor. Kinda to be expected, though, with a whopping 13-damage alpha compared to 30-50 on their side. Occupational hazard.

#74 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Some folks see them as an underperforming mech and deride anyone who chooses to drop with it because they feel it is gimping their team.

Some feel the same way about Locusts.

Since the game is based on weight class matching, and the 35 ton light mechs are probably on average significantly more effective .. Firestarter, Raven, ECM lights, Cheetah, maybe Jenner IIC ... than some other choices of light mechs. It can result in some folks feeling negatively towards those of us who might occasionally choose to drop in them. .

Personally, I don't care, but it takes a really excellent light pilot to get as much from an urbie or locust as it does some of the others.

Edited by Mawai, 29 January 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#75 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

People who do well in Urbies also seem to do well in Adders, Kitfoxes, and slower builds on other lights (like the always-entertaining AC20 BoomBird Raven). People who only drive only fast lights probably have a harder time with the transition, because it's a completely different playstyle.

You can't squirrel, because you're slow and you'll die. You have to really leverage your profile and high mounts to peek, because you're slow, or you die. You can't win a turning fight, because you're slow, so you learn to 360 twist like a boss to track targets and spread damage, or you die. You learn to place your shots where they count, because otherwise everything outpaces you on DPS, and you won't make a contribution before you die. You can't always stay behind your heavies, because nobody's ever going to clear a firing lane for you, so you have to sort of carefully work your way between them, but if you aren't keeping an eye on whoever might be behind you, they alpha the back of your trash can lid or block you from retreating... and you die.

...and then somehow you pull off a multi-kill carry, or land that perfect AC shot on a running Cheetah from 400+ meters away and leg it, or out-peek a GaussJag, or get spontaneously made into the team mascot by a bunch of crazy people (it's happened to me several times), and you feel like a million bucks.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 29 January 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#76 burns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationMonerica

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

It has that "one time, in bandcamp.." flavour to it. Just gotta love getting a good game in an Urbie!

Also it´s one of the few mech´s making River City fun for me (the floor is lava!!!)

Edited by burns, 29 January 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#77 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

Be very afraid of the Urbie with machine guns and flamers. It Is truly the most terrifying mech on the battlefield in the hands of a skilled pilot!

#78 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

I managed to squeeze an AC/20, 2 tons of ammo and 4 medium lasers into an Urban 'Mech for a 40 point alpha.
The only downside is that It has no armor!

I painted it orange to make things more even.

Edited by no one, 29 January 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#79 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

I think we all need to be bugging Russ on Twitter about this.

Biggest issues with Urby, are heatgen quirks lost, MG Quirks or ballistic range to help MG's, Agility loss, and maybe get its speed back.

For a light, with low top speed, and usually caps out at 10 DHS with only 7 at best being T-DHS, it needs some -heatgen on just about every weapon it can carry.

Turn speed, twist speed, Accel/Decel since the Skilltree nerf Urby is sluggish and its pretty bad compared to what it used to be.

Like they did for Summoner, give it a speed bonus to match back its old SpeedTweak topspeeds.

#80 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostMister D, on 29 January 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

I think we all need to be bugging Russ on Twitter about this.

Biggest issues with Urby, are heatgen quirks lost, MG Quirks or ballistic range to help MG's, Agility loss, and maybe get its speed back.

For a light, with low top speed, and usually caps out at 10 DHS with only 7 at best being T-DHS, it needs some -heatgen on just about every weapon it can carry.

Turn speed, twist speed, Accel/Decel since the Skilltree nerf Urby is sluggish and its pretty bad compared to what it used to be.

Like they did for Summoner, give it a speed bonus to match back its old SpeedTweak topspeeds.

or at least gimme MASC-lite acceleration

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users