77 replies to this topic

#61 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

Maybe those 4 maps always come together instead and only one out of every 5 times.

there's some trolling for you.

#62 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

REMOVE the vote and go back the way it was, NO VOTE map random, and you tick/untick mode u want/dont want, ONLY SOLUTION, the whole vote was a bad idea from the start, and always will be,

#63 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

How about we completely remove voting like it used to be... pick a gamemode, and go.

#64 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

Can someone please explain what is wrong with the current system?

Pick what you want, maybe it wins, maybe not.

It doesn't matter what the other people vote for, or whether they're voting for what they want to win or for what they don't want to win, or if they're switching votes: YOU DON'T CONTROL THEIR VOTES. So it makes absolutely no difference to you why they pick what they do. Ten people voting for Terra Therma because they want to raise their multipler is IDENTICAL to ten people voting for Terra Therma because they want to play it.

Edit: I guess it is a fair complaint that we probably shouldn't be able to pick a map at all, it's just one more thing discouraging using a balanced build.

Edited by AEgg, 31 January 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#65 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PostAEgg, on 31 January 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Can someone please explain what is wrong with the current system?

Pick what you want, maybe it wins, maybe not.

It doesn't matter what the other people vote for, or whether they're voting for what they want to win or for what they don't want to win, or if they're switching votes: YOU DON'T CONTROL THEIR VOTES. So it makes absolutely no difference to you why they pick what they do. Ten people voting for Terra Therma because they want to raise their multipler is IDENTICAL to ten people voting for Terra Therma because they want to play it.

Edit: I guess it is a fair complaint that we probably shouldn't be able to pick a map at all, it's just one more thing discouraging using a balanced build.

What's wrong with the current system, there's a multitude of maps that don't really get played, or that a single user will be unlikely to see due to "popular" maps being picked, or trolls deciding to take unpopular maps.

In the old system, you didn't vote, you picked what gamemodes you were willing to play on, and clicked "join game" then the matchmaker pooled you in and found you a match on a Random map.

Also, the current system, is hugely immersion breaking, we play mechwarriors, we should not have the open ability to pick our map for "ranked" play, as that decision sits on the unit/army commander, usually in reaction to the enemy forces location [and often times, on outdated source information] You drop where the enemy is, it's that simple, it could be a wide open vista like Alpine or Polar, or it could be a cramped cityscape or canyon network. But YOU THE PILOT, should not have the choice.

THAT, is the problem with the current situation. Combine that with the whole "Balanced build" thing and yeah, the map vote system actively encourages stagnation in build philosophy and high heat alpha mentality.

#66 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Well crap, I guess I'll just go back to never getting to play TT conquest. Damn...

Guess I'd better throw more pew pew on my mechs so I can pew the hardest pew any laser bulimic has ever pewed.

#67 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 31 January 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

What's wrong with the current system, there's a multitude of maps that don't really get played, or that a single user will be unlikely to see due to "popular" maps being picked, or trolls deciding to take unpopular maps.

What you appear to be missing is that what you state above is what we are going *to* with the change in voting. Before the mini-game it was an almost certainty you were playing on one of 3-4 maps, the rest went unused. With the map voting mini-game people trying to game the system end up creating more maps getting used in the rotation.
The "trolls" are what create the variety - without that we are back to a static set of only the most popular maps being played. And that, to many people, is far more damaging to people wanting to play when there are only a few maps that ever end up getting used.

#68 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 31 January 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

What you appear to be missing is that what you state above is what we are going *to* with the change in voting. Before the mini-game it was an almost certainty you were playing on one of 3-4 maps, the rest went unused. With the map voting mini-game people trying to game the system end up creating more maps getting used in the rotation.
The "trolls" are what create the variety - without that we are back to a static set of only the most popular maps being played. And that, to many people, is far more damaging to people wanting to play when there are only a few maps that ever end up getting used.

yes, pick and choose what you try to debate out of the entirety of what I had to say... now look back at the REST of my post, and go from there.

#69 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Means I'm not going to be able to try to avoid Viridian Light Paradise, Frozen eyesore, or Tetris manifold Posted Image

#70 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 31 January 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

yes, pick and choose what you try to debate out of the entirety of what I had to say... now look back at the REST of my post, and go from there.

Happy? Doesn't change what I said above.

In the old system, you didn't vote, you picked what gamemodes you were willing to play on, and clicked "join game" then the matchmaker pooled you in and found you a match on a Random map.

We are not going back to the old system with random maps. We are going to a blind voting system. Many would like to go back to jsut random maps, but the with forum rage that occurred when they took away game mode selection they put in map voting to offset that hard game mode selection removal.

Also, the current system, is hugely immersion breaking, we play mechwarriors, we should not have the open ability to pick our map for "ranked" play, as that decision sits on the unit/army commander, usually in reaction to the enemy forces location [and often times, on outdated source information] You drop where the enemy is, it's that simple, it could be a wide open vista like Alpine or Polar, or it could be a cramped cityscape or canyon network. But YOU THE PILOT, should not have the choice.

There is very little immersion and lore in the game now. Going to a blind voting system doesn't change the immersion over the voting mini game. So this point is moot - we are still voting on game modes which still breaks the immersion you think you are getting back.

THAT, is the problem with the current situation. Combine that with the whole "Balanced build" thing and yeah, the map vote system actively encourages stagnation in build philosophy and high heat alpha mentality.

And as I said above we are going back to a system like when voting was first implemented and are going to get less map variety than we have now with the mini-game. So what is your point?
We should have random map selection? Sure.
But that isn't what we are going back to.

#71 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 31 January 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

Happy? Doesn't change what I said above.

We are not going back to the old system with random maps. We are going to a blind voting system. Many would like to go back to jsut random maps, but the with forum rage that occurred when they took away game mode selection they put in map voting to offset that hard game mode selection removal.

There is very little immersion and lore in the game now. Going to a blind voting system doesn't change the immersion over the voting mini game. So this point is moot - we are still voting on game modes which still breaks the immersion you think you are getting back.

And as I said above we are going back to a system like when voting was first implemented and are going to get less map variety than we have now with the mini-game. So what is your point?
We should have random map selection? Sure.
But that isn't what we are going back to.

You're right, there is very little immersion and lore in the game right now.

WHICH IS WHY WE SHOULD BE FIGHTING TO KEEP EVERY GORRAM SCRAP WE CAN!

Yes, I get what we're going to... I would much prefer we go back to before that... no map voting. It simply stagnates the game... it's not hard to figure out what the "majority" will vote for. Cold Maps, and high sightlines because it's easy mode.

Edited by CMDR Sunset Shimmer, 31 January 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#72 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

This is the best news ever.

Edited by Samial, 31 January 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#73 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 30 January 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

I just realized my reply didnt make sense. If it's all random, the queue time isnt longer, i would rather have random game mode and maps than voting.

As much as I hate voting and skirmish if both map and mode were completely random I could live with it. Maps should never be voted on, and really game modes at the very least should allow you to opt out of 1+ depending on the number of game modes available. At least if it was all random I wouldn't feel as angry about ending up on skirmish as I do when that is what wins the vote 50%+ of the time. I could even justify spending money on this game again, but so long as voting remains I am done giving them money no matter how much I want the Archer and upcoming Kodiak.

#74 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostEboli, on 30 January 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

It would be very easy for PGI to get the less commonly chosen maps to be played more often. Reduce the amount of times the commonly chosen maps occur as a choice for players to vote on.

Simple solutions are not wanted here. This is MWO, the devs must come up with the most complicated process possible. MWO has honestly just become the very definition of a modern-day Goldberg machine.

#75 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 31 January 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

You're right, there is very little immersion and lore in the game right now.

WHICH IS WHY WE SHOULD BE FIGHTING TO KEEP EVERY GORRAM SCRAP WE CAN!

Yes, I get what we're going to... I would much prefer we go back to before that... no map voting. It simply stagnates the game... it's not hard to figure out what the "majority" will vote for. Cold Maps, and high sightlines because it's easy mode.

This. The fact that you couldn't select the map was supposed to be PART of the game. You have to build your mech to be ready for any map. Now we just have the slight majority of laser vomit kids voting in whatever the hell environment they built to abuse. That's idiotic, and not in the spirit of the game.

#76 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

Glad this is happening. I was getting tired of that stupid minigame messing up my matches.

Sheesh, I had to get a x10 multiplier before I could drop on Polar Highlands for the first time. That's nuts.

#77 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 30 January 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Exact same thing can be said of the mini game and if people voted that way the mini game didn't matter because it had zero effect on their votes. So they can cast their vote and not change it and it works exactly how they want.

Without the mini game people are not trying to gain multiplier by voting for lowest rated maps, which then get more votes as people switch. So we are going back to Frozen city or HPG for 90% of the games when they show up in the list, it's going to happen.

I'll gladly eat my words if I am wrong, but I am certain that we are not going to have the map variety we have now with the mini game.

You know,... i get most of my wins, by using around a 4X multipler.. I have never even gotten above 8. Not seeing votes, will not change how i vote at all. I pick the maps i like, if i don't see a map i really want i don't vote..

can't wait for the frozen city update too!.. The way i see if, is every map has their fans, and every map has haters, I just don't get it.. i just wanna have fun, and starting off a match saying i Hate this map is a perfect way to make sure you are not going to have fun no matter what.

#78 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Bummer, I'll miss the voting mini game. :(

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users