If you owned the domain MechSpecs.com what.....

21 replies to this topic

#1 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

Say you owned mechspecs.com and wanted to do something fun with it to gear up or MWO release. What would you do? The current project stalled out as the web designer, brilliant he may be, is occupied with other projects not related to MWO.

I was thinking something like a deposit for in depth information and images specific to the mechs of MWO?

#2 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

Truthfully, what was the intended purpose for mechspecs.com? I don't believe I've ever heard of it before today.

#3 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

With the title of the site in mind, all the TRO specs for a starter ;) though that is already covered by http://www.mechground.com/ etc.

#4 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

3d BattleMech designer - built in flash or HTML 5 interface that allows you to load out mechs, view them with different paint schemes, look at their specs after loaded out, etc etc.

#5 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

The MMO gamer in me screams "min/max MWO 'Mech builds and strategy analysis forums" a la ElitistJerks.com.
The 4chan browser in me laughs and says "make a icanhascheeseburger.com clone for images of 'Mechs in various situations with sunglasses on them."

And this is why I will never be allowed to run a website.

#6 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

View PostGhost, on 06 December 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

The MMO gamer in me screams "min/max MWO 'Mech builds and strategy analysis forums" a la ElitistJerks.com.
The 4chan browser in me laughs and says "make a icanhascheeseburger.com clone for images of 'Mechs in various situations with sunglasses on them."

lol Ghost ... I'd bet you'll love this then ...

Posted Image

#7 Garyb

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

I'm gonna have to second the 'Mechs wearing sunglasses option.

#8 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Kay it was originally intended to Showcase what mechs and canon mech variants could be built for the TT miniatures created by IWM.

Camospecs guys do all the canon paint schemes for miniature painting and mechspecs was intended to show how, and what specific parts were needed, to build canon mech designs for miniature collectors. Unfortunately the guy who was doing the heavy lifting on the designs was simply not able to devote more time due to other obligations.

Rather than sit and let the domain go to waste I figured I'd attempt to formulate a plan and then execute. Hence my open post with requests for ideas.

#9 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Some kind of 'Mech creation sounds awesome. Hell tie in Solaris Skunk Werks and I'd never leave the site.

#10 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Yeah I agree it would be cool to tie in minis to specific variants of different mech chassis. Like, what would it LOOK like to have that big bore AC20 on my Urbie instead of the AC10.

Maybe have some standard weapon designs that can be swapped out onto different mechs but have some continuity in the look of the weapon design itself.

Edited by Skwisgaar Skwigelf, 06 December 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#11 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

So essentially something flash based that would allow everyone to log in from work (see where i am going there?) and utilize a mech lab to make their uber awesomeness machine of death using ingame mechanics, print it and take it home to load in to MWO once it comes online?

Sadly I'm awesome when it comes to putting out fires and rescuing cats from trees but my design skills are way below what would be required for something of that scope. ;)

#12 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

An eyeglass store for Mech pilots!

#13 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 06 December 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

An eyeglass store for Mech pilots!

Bahahahahaahahah "Forget Moss Lipow, Forget Dolce and Gabanna, Forget Oakley, get your MechSpecs™ today!!!"

#14 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

View PostS3dition, on 06 December 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

3d BattleMech designer - built in flash or HTML 5 interface that allows you to load out mechs, view them with different paint schemes, look at their specs after loaded out, etc etc.
^^^^^^ THIS

View PostGhost, on 06 December 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

ROFL

View PostMason Grimm, on 06 December 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Kay it was originally intended to Showcase what mechs and canon mech variants could be built for the TT miniatures created by IWM.

Camospecs guys do all the canon paint schemes for miniature painting and mechspecs was intended to show how, and what specific parts were needed, to build canon mech designs for miniature collectors. Unfortunately the guy who was doing the heavy lifting on the designs was simply not able to devote more time due to other obligations.

Rather than sit and let the domain go to waste I figured I'd attempt to formulate a plan and then execute. Hence my open post with requests for ideas.
Ahh, okay. Thanks.

So essentially something flash based that would allow everyone to log in from work (see where i am going there?) and utilize a mech lab to make their uber awesomeness machine of death using ingame mechanics, print it and take it home to load in to MWO once it comes online?

Sadly I'm awesome when it comes to putting out fires and rescuing cats from trees but my design skills are way below what would be required for something of that scope. ;)
So, get someone who CAN. Don't call on me... I barely got up what I have up, now, and I can't figure out how to get it to display correctly in IE8, so with flash or HTML 5 I would be a waste of time. I would be like Bruce Willis character, Corbin Dallas, from The Fifth Element, when he's looking at the block on the pedestal like he's expecting it to do something on its own.

EDIT: Oh, and I was going to make a suggestion... have the site tie-in to MWO automagically, where you developers can look at the more popular, or the better, never the twain shall meet, designs and get them into the game.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 06 December 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#15 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 06 December 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

I see what you're saying, basically an out-of-game MechLab and skin designer wrapped up in one.

#16 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

It doesn't need to be Flash, real CBT/MW fans doesn't need fancy graphics to obtain their needs. A simple PHP page divided into 3 or 4 sections could suffice; Chassis Selection, Weapons and Equipments Selection, and a page to distribute the Loadout on. And finally a page to confirm the Config in, giving it a unique name and save the config for online use. Also have a code to validate the Loadout to see if it is within the legal parameters eventually set up for MWO. The php page only needs to have the required input fields/drop down fields as we already know which are from SkunkWerks.

Though yeah Flash is appealing but not at all a necessity imo though it could be something along the below old images ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Major Crash

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCentral U.S.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Sunglasses, Hula girls and a temperate planet to dance on. Sensing a new theme here, or the Brigades new HQ.

#18 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

View PostTiredOne, on 06 December 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

Sunglasses, Hula girls and a temperate planet to dance on. Sensing a new theme here, or the Brigades new HQ.

Clan Black Sheep already has all of that. Except the Hula girls are all Jenny McCarthy (at age 22) clones and an unlimited supply of Goldschlager (The Official Drink of Clan Black Sheep) to drink. Everyones welcome (Except ComStar!), when you come in-system transmit to the System Bouy 'Jenny Sent Me' for Directions to 'The Ewe Heifer Inn', Clan Black Sheeps Bar and Grill/HQ.

#19 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

View PostKitLightning, on 06 December 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

It doesn't need to be Flash, real CBT/MW fans doesn't need fancy graphics to obtain their needs.Though yeah Flash is appealing but not at all a necessity imo though it could be something along the below old images ;)
Speak for yourself, me boyo, hehe. I would love to see a MechWarrior 3 style MechLab.

#20 KitLightning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

hnn me too but I sincerely hate Flash as a platform to construct site designs by. Its cumbersome and to much coding involved. Sure the graphics and fussy effects that can be made via Flash is pretty and shiny, but, to much coding involved for my taste. Also that I have seen one to many failed site making my browser(s) scream or just wait decades before the content loads properly, I call for bad code snippets never fixed or backlogged immaturely. There is to much useless **** implemented in the latter version of Flash to my knowledge. I shunt at Flash based sites, that the implemented elements can easily be embedded with small rather dirty codes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users