- - - - -

So Frustrated

22 replies to this topic

#1 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

New player, played about 2 weeks now. Been dropping in PUGs (naturally) and end up facing organized units. Played MW3/4/Mercs back in the day and read all the FASA MechWarrior sci-fi novels.

I die almost every single match and rarely get kills.

I am unable to run both TS *and* the game (I'm disabled on a fixed small income, just spent all I could scrape together over a year to upgrade to AMD 5350 quad APU + 4GB RAM, GT-730 1GB DDR3, I average 12-14 FPS in-game in MWO on minimum settings and 1280x768, but it has no problem running games like War Thunder at 60+ FPS on medium settings at 1920x1080 ) and almost nobody uses the in-game voice comms, so I'm guessing that joining a unit/faction is not an option without being able to run TS in-game?

I have been confused by the whole faction/unit CW mess as there's really no good detailed info for absolute noobs. All the ones I've been able to find assume guys like me have far more understanding of the details than is actually the case and I end up just as confused/unsure of what some of this stuff is and how it actually works, or even more so.

I see on the Faction Select UI warnings about adhering to the "faction requirements/standards" or some such, and talk of penalties for violating contracts and similar, and I have no idea what the "requirements/standards" are. I can guess that violating a contract is signing with another faction/unit while you're still in one?

Tired of making few kills, very little Cbills or EXP/GXP, and getting ROFL-stomped constantly fighting experienced and organized groups.

Should I just give up until I can win a big lottery ticket/scratch-off or something, and buy a shiny new gaming rig to play MWO on?

TIA for any information/help. I'd really like to keep playing MWO, but not like this.

#2 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

CW will pitch you most likely against groups. Quickplay will not do so in solo queue, e. g. if you play alone. As soon as you team up you will be placed in the group queue, which will be harder. You should stick to the solo queue, it is the least frustrating for beginners imo.

In CW you have to pledge yourself to a faction, for a amount of time. If this contract ends you may choose another but if you end the contract beforehand you will have to pay cbills and have to wait several days. But if you dont want to be fighting groups CW shouldnt be your choice of gamemode.

Other than that a better performance than 12 - 14 FPS should help you a lot too. 24 Frames or at least anything above 20 should be much smoother to play.

Edited by Kotzi, 03 February 2016 - 01:27 AM.

#3 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:41 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 03 February 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

AMD 5350 quad APU

This here is your problem. AMD APUs have serious problems running MWO. Unless you're running Intel stuff, you won't have stellar performance on this game.

#4 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

What tier are you currently in? I assume it's Tier 4-5? Then you shouldn't really be running into organized groups in PUG games, there's not much teamwork going on at this level. You've probably just had some bad luck, playing with weak teams against stronger teams. It happens. For now, I would suggest concentrating on finding a build that works for you, finding a role that feels natural to you (such as ranged/brawling/scouting etc.), and developing the skills that are appropriate for that role. Communication and teamwork will come next. Personally, I saw very little communication between the players in solo queue until I hit Tier 3, and even now it mostly happens on larger maps such as Polar Highlands or Alpine Peaks.

And you don't need to join any unit/faction to play solo queues. CW is different and a bit confusing, that's the place where you'll start running into organized units and getting stomped, but that shouldn't discourage you, either. I would suggest starting with this guide and then asking whatever questions you have left on this forum. At least, that's what I did Posted Image There are a lot of people here willing to help the newcomers, just listen to their advice, adapt it to your own preferences/habits, and you'll do fine. I'm a new player myself, have been playing for just under a month, and I also had a moment when I was close to ragequitting, but now I'm glad I did not Posted Image

P.S. And stop keeping count of your kills, it's not a very meaningful statistic. Better look at damage numbers, KMDDs (Kill Most Damage Dealt) and match scores, they represent your performance better.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 03 February 2016 - 02:03 AM.

#5 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Ask/look around about user.cfg file tweaks, there are ways to further improve fps beyond ingame options. Dunno the details, never tried it out.

For now, stay in Quick Play and learn the ropes. There are no groups there and you get to play against people of your tier (i.e. mostly other beginners).

Only go CW to get a mechbay (for level 2 loyality reward). CW is no place for newbies, unfortunately. Leave it for later.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 03 February 2016 - 01:43 AM.

#6 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

I see your problem.
I think you have some missconceptions about PuG, CW, Groupdrop or better group PuG and what you call organized teams.
- PuG queue is simply the quickplay button up right on your home screen.
Absolutely no preformed groups or organized teams are allowed here. If you still get many ppl from the same unit in your or enemy team its simply a very large unit with lots of lowtier players playing in single queue without coordination.
-CW or Faction Warfare is something where you have absolutely no buissiness as new player.
Sorry if this sounds rude but its your time that will be wasted. You will only wait a lot to get sloughtered by organyed teams or at least by more experienced players.
get at least 2 chassis completely mastered akaown 2 times three mechs of two different chassis.
- Group queue or group PuG is the same as PuG queue but ONLY Groups may join here.
Its much harder than singleplayer PuG but offers the possibility to get tutored.Regarding you low computer performance its a sad truth that this programm is pretty bad regarding the ability to recognize and use available PC performance.I got similar issues. PuG maps run at 28 to 45 fps but CW maps run only at 15 to 25 frames. Graphics and processor usage never go above 55% and RAM usage (8GB) never goes over 60%.This game runs best on Intel and Nvidia equip.

Edited by The Basilisk, 03 February 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#7 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time BlueStrat but I remember my early days in MWO and had very similar feelings; how the hell does anyone play this game? It was only my strange addiction to stompy robots with lazors that kept me going.

Best thing I did was start watching streams on Twitch. In the main MWO Twitchers are a mighty friendly bunch and mostly have a pretty small following so they can and do answer questions. Even with the bigger streamers, their chat community will be more than happy to help you.

I don't know what time zone you are in but I would highly recommend the following (US-based):
NGNGTV (either Sean Lang for tactics and gameplay or Bombadil for a more light-hearted approach)
Gimpy21 (excellent player and very informative)
ximpalerx (metal music, fun gameplay)
Escef (not the greatest player but very knowledgeable about both the game and BT universe)

Other than that I'd say your rig is minimum for MWO (it's not a well optimised game and Crysis engine is famously CPU hungry).

Other than that I'd back what the others have said.
  • Stay clear of CW at the moment unless you are prepared to grind out rank 2 in factions to get a free mechbay (sign up for a week, play 3-4 games, 10 factions = 10 free mechbays in 10 weeks), or try for rank 6 to get a second (that may be tricky in a week though).
  • Stick to solo queue in Quick Play (you wont meet groups in solo queue)
  • Try to get your mechs to basic skills as a minimum, elite if possible - it really makes a difference
Drop me a friend invite in game if you see me and I'll be more than happy to help you as much as an average pilot can!

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hello and welcome to MWO.

New player, played about 2 weeks now. Been dropping in PUGs (naturally) and end up facing organized units. Played MW3/4/Mercs back in the day and read all the FASA MechWarrior sci-fi novels.

First off, I would like to state that short of entering "Faction" mode, joining a faction, and engage in a battle on a specified planet... the ability for a solo player to go up against an "Organized" (or more accurately previously organized) group is actually impossible.

If you press "Play", you cannot be put up against any previously organized group. However, you CAN be put up against enemies who use the voice chat or text chat to organize themselves during play. There is also the B key, which pulls up the Battlegrid, allowing players to take command roles and direct (suggest) the movements of the team.

An example of this can be found here, where during combat I lead a charge and direct the entire team's movements in an attempt to compensate for an excessively large number of trial mechs on my side.

I am unable to run both TS *and* the game (I'm disabled on a fixed small income, just spent all I could scrape together over a year to upgrade to AMD 5350 quad APU + 4GB RAM, GT-730 1GB DDR3, I average 12-14 FPS in-game in MWO on minimum settings and 1280x768, but it has no problem running games like War Thunder at 60+ FPS on medium settings at 1920x1080 ) and almost nobody uses the in-game voice comms, so I'm guessing that joining a unit/faction is not an option without being able to run TS in-game?

I die in most matches, too. Sometimes it is pretty discouraging, especially with the high alpha meta that sometimes happens.

If you want people to use the in game comms, you need to use it yourself. Sometimes people speak up. Sometimes they won't. Since you are just starting out you're probably in tier 5, it won't be til you are in tier 4 where you will see people being a little more organized.

I have been confused by the whole faction/unit CW mess as there's really no good detailed info for absolute noobs. All the ones I've been able to find assume guys like me have far more understanding of the details than is actually the case and I end up just as confused/unsure of what some of this stuff is and how it actually works, or even more so.

I see on the Faction Select UI warnings about adhering to the "faction requirements/standards" or some such, and talk of penalties for violating contracts and similar, and I have no idea what the "requirements/standards" are. I can guess that violating a contract is signing with another faction/unit while you're still in one?

This is poorly explained, I'm well aware. It's in a development beta stage and as such the features have changed a few times over. Sometimes things mentioned are removed or changed, leaving a detailed explanation somewhat difficult to do. Phase 3, forth coming, appears to come with a lot more explanation.

The penalties to note are:
*If you leave one faction and join another, you will lose standing with your last faction if you kill their members in CW / FW.
*If you try to cancel a contract before it expires, you will have to pay 500k cbills per day per person in your unit (if you're by yourself it's just you).

That's it.

Tired of making few kills, very little Cbills or EXP/GXP, and getting ROFL-stomped constantly fighting experienced and organized groups.

I had played over 3 weeks before making my very first kill. And I was playing back in 2012, and my first match had me absolutely excited that I found another stock Jenner, and we proceeded to duke it out. I used water to cool off (past MW experience) which gave me an edge; he countered by RAMMING me! Knocked me down, and before long our combat degraded into leaping body slams and laser shaving... where he limped away while I had shut down from overheat, and brought 6 of his friends who disabled me, surrounded me, and said "Welcome to MWO" before blasting me apart limb from limb... Holy crap the repair bill.

You've made a few kills. For some advice on getting even more: Go for legs. You're welcome. Streaks or LRMs may do you wonders as well considering the state of your computer.

For improvements on earning cbills, there are ways to do it without directly having to fight. Being near teammates just hands you money. Use of equipment such as TAG will pay out when allies make use of them. Personally I find the best way to make money isn't to be the one getting the kills, but the one standing next to the guy getting kills, getting some damage in on each thing he does shoot at. It's actually pretty funny when a player doing this can make more money than the guy actually getting the kills and heavy damage in.

Should I just give up until I can win a big lottery ticket/scratch-off or something, and buy a shiny new gaming rig to play MWO on?

TIA for any information/help. I'd really like to keep playing MWO, but not like this.

Upgrade RAM to a matching type but higher. First ensure the motherboard can support it, but you should be able to get up to 8 gigs ram for that motherboard. This would easily bring you up to 26 to 32 fps and would hardly even cost $30 USD depending on where you get the ram. Make certain its type and details match; check the sticks themselves for this information. From what I can see the only thing holding you back is ram. The average computer has 8 gigs ram. I'm sporting 16 and I find I'm falling behind the times.

Edited by Koniving, 03 February 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#9 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

If you are running into organized groups, then you are probably dropping in CW, which you honestly shouldn't be doing alone. Especially as a new player.

I would recommend sticking to Quickplay matches, where you are matched with 23 other players dropping solo, for you to get comfortable with piloting mechs, and practice proper maneuvers, trigger discipline, and situation awareness.

The problem here is the processor. Unlike Warthunder, MWO is using the CryEngine. CryEngine is notoriously CPU intensive. You can have a masterpiece of a GPU, but if your CPU can't handle the game, you will have terrible performance. I've got a terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE video card, but my i5 processor is enough to run the game at about 18-20 Fps on the lowest settings.

I'm not sure why you would have trouble with TS3 running in the background though. It doesn't cause any frame drops, or lag to your connection, so it should be okay. If you don't have a mic, or don't want to do any talking, you can still use it to at least listen to the rest of the group.

In-game VoIP's use is determined by the team you're with. People more willing to organize will us it more often. If you want, you can start it off in a match, and that might encourage other players to chime in as well. You'd be surprised at the results.

What would help me answer your questions in great detail as far as CW/Factions go, is if you list them here. We'll answer them to the best of our knowledge/experience.

More like breaking the contract early. There are currently no real standards to uphold in CW.

No. You don't need to give up. Just steer clear of CW solo play for a while. Get situated, and learn how the game works, and how to best pilot your mechs before you jump into it. Once you decide to go into CW, do some research on what builds are effective there, and what tactics are more useful on what maps. Going into the forum of the faction you want to sign up with and discussing these things with them will help you out a lot. Some factions run certain tactics more than others, so get familiar with that.

In this game, you're considered a pretty new player until somewhere around your thousandth match. So don't be frustrated by having a bad time while only playing for 2 weeks.

My first 2 weeks I scored one kill, and averaged 35 damage a match in my trial COM-2D. (of course, back then trial mechs were stock mechs, not champions like now). Now I deal no less than 500 damage a match with that mech, and will usually have a few kills, and 5+ assists under my belt.

So be patient, and pace yourself. This is a long marathon. Not a sprint race.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 03 February 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

This here is your problem. AMD APUs have serious problems running MWO. Unless you're running Intel stuff, you won't have stellar performance on this game.

/shrug

my FX 8320 paired with a R9 270x 4GB card with 16 GB ram does just find with MWO, a solid 60 FPS at 1080p....

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 03 February 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

/shrug

my FX 8320 paired with a R9 270x 4GB card with 16 GB ram does just find with MWO, a solid 60 FPS at 1080p....

Your FX 8320 is literally triple the cost of his AMD 5350.

Here, this might better help explain it:
http://www.cpu-world...es_FX-8320.html

Btw, more cores is better for MWO.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

OP,

Send a help request to support. They will have you take some screen shots and such to get the details of your rig. They will then send you what you need to maximize your performance and correct your setting.

I play on a 6 year old lap top (maybe 7 now) and the game runs just fine.

The request and solution provided by PGI took maybe a week or two. They want you playing as much as you want to play but it does take a bit of time and back and forth to get your rig running right.

#13 Grummy

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostKotzi, on 03 February 2016 - 01:26 AM, said:

Quickplay will not do so in solo queue, e. g. if you play alone.

I still get dropped against units of 4+ in solo quick-play. I am a part of a unit but this is when I'm on my own. Am I doing something wrong?

#14 joeltech

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostGrummy, on 03 February 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

I still get dropped against units of 4+ in solo quick-play. I am a part of a unit but this is when I'm on my own. Am I doing something wrong?

I get the same thing as a Tier 5 pilot when I queue up alone, but I also joined a unit with some friends. Ask yourself this, do you stomp when you play with your friends? Are y'all super coordinated? Probably not, because you are new. That's the only problem you are having.

I played very briefly a few years ago and I just started again 2 days ago. It was like starting from scratch, but I've played games with steep learning curves before so I'm going to give you a tip that helps me keep trucking:
  • Don't focus on how you perceive the skill level of others compared to you, just focus on increasing your own performance. Set goals for yourself. For instance, keep track of the most damage you have dealt in a round and try and improve upon it!
I immediately noticed things that I did that got me killed. Not something someone else did, but me. For instance, playing in a Jenner, the natural instinct is to rush out as fast as possible, but that got me killed first! I made a conscious effort to stay relatively close to the team. At the very least, stay close to a couple other mechs. That way if you turn a corner that has enemies, those enemies won't all be shooting at you at the same time. Speaking of turning corners, I recognized early on that I'm going to have to get used to turning my torso and walking forward to peek around a corner instead of walking forward and turning my legs to look. It's already starting to feel a bit more natural. Not quite easy yet, but I'm getting there.

Now, I try to recognize situations where it seems like there is a juicy lone target, but it's likely they have a teammate nearby. If it's somewhat early in the match, and I find a big slow mech, I have to assume there are other big slow mechs nearby unless I see their entire team on the map. How likely is it that they all fanned out that quick when they move at the rate of pudding?

I hope I helped you somehow! The game is great. I don't care if I lose, I am very happy to see myself improving steadily!

Edited by joeltech, 03 February 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#15 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 03 February 2016 - 01:58 AM, said:

Absolutely no preformed groups or organized teams are allowed here.

Sorry, but I just finished a PUG match where the enemy team (with the exception of one lance) were all sporting the same unit tags and "CW Veteran Beta" sub-tags, and were functioning & maneuvering as a single unit. The battle lasted a bit over 4 minutes with zero losses to their team and we were wiped out. I was top of the board for our team with 30 damage. This is not unusual in my experience in 'Quick Play' PUGs so far. I wish I could remember what the unit was, but the match was very hectic and very, very short.

I have not joined a faction or a unit, nor dropped in CW yet. From what little I've seen from my end so far, I don't think I'd want to be associated with it/them even if it means losing and dying constantly. I may well be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten as a MWO noob so far. You either join a unit/faction or become not much more than fodder for organized groups in PUGs.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostBlueStrat, on 03 February 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Sorry, but I just finished a PUG match where the enemy team (with the exception of one lance) were all sporting the same unit tags and "CW Veteran Beta" sub-tags, and were functioning & maneuvering as a single unit. The battle lasted a bit over 4 minutes with zero losses to their team and we were wiped out. I was top of the board for our team with 30 damage. This is not unusual in my experience in 'Quick Play' PUGs so far. I wish I could remember what the unit was, but the match was very hectic and very, very short.

I have not joined a faction or a unit, nor dropped in CW yet. From what little I've seen from my end so far, I don't think I'd want to be associated with it/them even if it means losing and dying constantly. I may well be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten as a MWO noob so far. You either join a unit/faction or become not much more than fodder for organized groups in PUGs.

Seen the video I posted?
Also it doesn't take much to level a team in 4 minutes with a set of pugs against a set of pugs. All you need is a standardized "Deathball" (your moving as one unit) and "Shoot B." "Kill F." "D left torso."
See: Koniving's Tactical Tips to MWO: "The first tip."
Quoted below:

View PostKoniving, on 23 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

-Truncated-
The First Tip: Blitzkrieg.
Spoiler

-Truncated-

That said, it sounds as if you got a flood of people who left a faction warfare match and then all independently joined pug matching around the same time. Undoubtedly some of them were also on your team and some possibly were scattered into other matches based on their individual skills. If you recognize fellow players you are more likely to get them to cooperate with you.

Organized they might have become, but they couldn't have been "previously" organized before joining a match. Seems like bad timing on your part.

Side note: Once you hit tier 3 it's almost impossible to tell pugs apart from organized players, since they wind up cooperating in most matches. Still get the occasional idiots chasing a single squarrel while the rest of the team gets slaughtered though.

Edited by Koniving, 03 February 2016 - 03:11 PM.

#17 Darth Hotz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 459 posts
  • LocationOuter Rim of Berlin

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

With your framerate you are severely handicaped. Forget about using ballictics, ppc and gauss, you will just not hit the target right. Lasers might work but since your tier is low, I would recommend to use lrms and save money to buy a better pc on ebay.

My system is an old i7 875k@3.8ghz and MWO ran smooth on high settings with a gtx480 in it (but anyway i upgraded now to a gtx 970).

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 03 February 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

/shrug

I'm doing well on FX 8350, GTX 960, 16GB DDR3/1833. HIGH or VERY HIGH keeps >100FPS on Polar and Alpine, down to >40FPS on River City and Forest Colony. HIGH with a few select items at LOW, and it's SUPER SMOOTH. CPU and GPU aren't hardly getting WARM after 3-4 hours straight.

But the OP's rig is pretty weak for MWO. GPU is fine. Need to double-up RAM and get a better processor. Even a fourth-gen i3 would be better. I was getting 40-ish FPS on LOW settings on a 2011 entry-level iMac. With 32 ping most days, that's INCREDIBLY playable.

#19 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:20 PM

Let me clarify something here:

If you go into solo quick play, you will not be matched against groups. That doesn't mean that other people dropping solo who are members of the same unit can't end up being in the same match from time to time.

I'm in a decent sized unit (about 150 people) and when we get really active, if we are all dropping in solo queue, we will have plenty of matches where a lot of us are present, sometimes on opposite teams, sometimes on one team.

However, a premade group can NEVER enter the solo queue, it's mechanically blocked by the game.

Also, if we do end up together in a match, we'll all immediately coordinate, because we've all played together, and even if we haven't, we immediately have this comfort, and camaraderie, because of that shared tag. So we coordinate. Usually, after a match like that, we form a group, and hop into the group queue.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

Yes, group queue and solo queue are totally separate. If you are seeing teams (and a random group all from one unit in the solo queue is fantastically improbable, though possible,) take screen shots and email it to support@mwomercs.com as a bug. The only way the game is designed to stick you in group queue is if you have actually gone to the trouble of forming or joining a group.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users