If Clan Mechs Have Superior Range And Omnipods What Do You Think Of Is Having Melee Weapons And Shields?

Balance Weapons

25 replies to this topic

#1 TheBlackReagan

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

As far as I've seen the major strategy to get around the Clans abuse of range is to charge in, get in their faces and abuse their high heat in combat. One balance that could help would be giving IS mechs melee weapons and IS assaults and heavies shield hardpoints on an arm. It's valid battletech technology and high short ranged damage I feel is a good balance to the current dynamic. Probably won't ever happen but regardless I'm interested to see what others thoughts are on this.

#2 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:26 PM

Gonna ignore the "1 posts" and go right into it--

MELEEPLZ

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

Melee would take a lot to get in the game, for now we already have some mechs with shields on their arms (Centurion) and other mechs that are good at shielding due to the size of their massive arms (Atlas). IS also excels at brawling with close range weaponry such as AC20s and SRMs to replace their lack of melee.

#4 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

Ummm....what range advantage? I.S. LRMs are deadlier, and ERLLASER now out ranges the Clan one by about 200m. What range advantage? Oh yeah. The Clan weapons also run 3x hotter, and the DHS (although smaller) are now less efficient than the I.S. counterparts.

Again, what advantage?

Yes, bum-rushing is the fastest way to kill Clan mechs because they are SUPPOSED to have the range advantage. Unfortunately, they now get all the weapon heat associated with what SHOULD be extended range, but absolutely no benefit. So at short range, in close quarters, they overheat, and are taken apart ricky-tick.

#5 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:24 AM

View PostT Decker, on 04 February 2016 - 01:58 AM, said:

Ummm....what range advantage? I.S. LRMs are deadlier, and ERLLASER now out ranges the Clan one by about 200m. What range advantage? Oh yeah. The Clan weapons also run 3x hotter, and the DHS (although smaller) are now less efficient than the I.S. counterparts.

Again, what advantage?

Yes, bum-rushing is the fastest way to kill Clan mechs because they are SUPPOSED to have the range advantage. Unfortunately, they now get all the weapon heat associated with what SHOULD be extended range, but absolutely no benefit. So at short range, in close quarters, they overheat, and are taken apart ricky-tick.

That's demonstrably not true

IS

Medium Laser - with max quirk (50%) and module, goes as far as:

270 + 135 +27 = 432

Clan

Medium Laser - with TC and module

400 + 50 + 40 = 490

ERLL

675 default range

CERLL

740 default range

^ ~10% range edge to clans by default

Clans have TC + module, IS have quirks + module, so IS needs 25% range quirk to outrange Clan.

^ Worth to note:

1) Only a few light mechs such huge range quirks and after next patch max range quirk will be 10%

2) Targeting computer is getting buffed, so the already superior clan weapons will be even more superior in terms of range

Disadvantage of clan weapon - heat, however that is offset by the fact that Clans have nigh unlimited slot space, cause you will run out of tonnage sooner than space, that cannot be said for IS AND since their equipment is lighter, you can add a DHS or two for every weapon you'd have on an IS counterpart.

Most complaints are for channel duration, where IS does have an advantage, especially for some high hard point mechs, because they can peek/shoot much more efficiently, however Clans have superior speed and can get better positioning to negate this advantage.

#6 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:28 AM

INB4 Imperious shows up saying he wont allow it. On a more serious note, yes melee would be a welcome addition to the game for the majority of the playerbase.

#7 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

Yes to melee!
Posted Image

#8 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:36 AM

no. and luckly it will never be introduced unless they recode everthing ..which will never happen.

#9 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:37 AM

Id say yes to melee... but only if it is implemented correctly.

Here is what a Comando vs Atlas melee fight would look like.

Posted Image

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:46 AM

Melee in this game will be scary.....light mechs punching assaults for like 300 damage, instantly CTing them because Melee has to be deadly like every game always makes it. Plus, since its IS, it will forever be UP until it can basically one shot any mech.

Mortal Combat: Robotic Showdown
^^MWO 2018

#11 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:53 AM

Actually, MW already has rules for melee from the Tabletop game.

Damage is limited to a certain percentage of the mech size and the punching arm (if no weapon is held) takes a lot of damage. If a light mech were to punch an Assault like hinted in my gif above all that would really happen is the Atlas would take slight CT damage and the Commando would probably end up loosing that arm. It is different if a mech were holding a weapon like a hatchet, sword, hammer or a smaller mech. The weight of the weapon is limited to the weight of the weilder (I think 20% is the regular calculation), so theoretically That atlas could then turn around, pick up a passing Locust and b**chslap the commando over the head with it.

#12 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

melee needs collisions reworked, its not going to happen for a loooooong time (unless you whine enough on twitter for it)

#13 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:08 AM

come a Mech with a Knife to a Shooting ...Melleweapons by modern Warmachines ...Swords against Longbow and Arcebuse ...the Melee Weapons a horrible Idea in Battletech, better the 3t for more Ammunition or Heatsinks..No to Battlertech Power Rangers
in Boardgame makes melee sense, a pilot can not aim on to and hit a single Hitzone as the cockpit in a still standig opponent in 30 m Range

so theoretically That atlas could then turn around, pick up a passing Locust and b**chslap the commando over the head with it.
a Atlas with 13m Height pick of a Locust with 8m Height, with no loosing his arm by 20t more on this arm ???already overturn Battlemechs if they lose too much armor at one point :D

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 04 February 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#14 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:40 AM

Like this you mean?

Posted Image

#15 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:43 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 04 February 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

in Boardgame makes melee sense, a pilot can not aim on to and hit a single Hitzone as the cockpit in a still standig opponent in 30 m Range

Even by today standards that's craptastic, hundreds of years from now that would be just shameful.

A Predator drone can release a rocket kilometers away at a 100+ kmh moving car and hit the driver.

There is already ammo in development like exacto bullet that can change trajectory mid flight if we're talking balistics

Lasers can shoot out moving targets like drones in the air

#16 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

I can't even count how many times I've been stuck in CW matches running Clan tech, and I've got I.S. heavies and assaults just sitting on top of hills, chain firing ERLLASERS, and being unable to hit them with my own, standing still, using advanced zoom.

I don't give a **** what PGI SAYS the stats on weapons are. The proof is in the game.

#17 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

Melee will never work with how PGI implemented the server authenticated net code.

#18 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

I'd like a fairly simple method of attack. Either a straight "jab" or downward "slash" depending on the arm being weaponized or not. Or a forward facing, sweeping attack in an arc.

Something that requires skill, and timing.

Edited by RoboPatton, 04 February 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#19 KingRock

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

No.
I play from Australia and there are plenty of us down here and scattered around the world that have to live with 250+ ping on every server. If i get too close to an enemy mech I'm transported to a magical warping land where I fall through maps, fly above them, go inside enemy mechs and even on top of them. Meanwhile; the guy I bumped into is slaughtering my helpless robot while I can't do a thing because all he sees is me standing there like a cow waiting to be butchered. If i cant even bump any enemy mech without being rendered helpless on contact then Melee will make the game nigh unplayable. If rubber banding was fixed properly, maybe a new server hub in Canberra or something then perhaps; but until then no way.

#20 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostKingRock, on 04 February 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

No.
I play from Australia and there are plenty of us down here and scattered around the world that have to live with 250+ ping on every server. If i get too close to an enemy mech I'm transported to a magical warping land where I fall through maps, fly above them, go inside enemy mechs and even on top of them. Meanwhile; the guy I bumped into is slaughtering my helpless robot while I can't do a thing because all he sees is me standing there like a cow waiting to be butchered. If i cant even bump any enemy mech without being rendered helpless on contact then Melee will make the game nigh unplayable. If rubber banding was fixed properly, maybe a new server hub in Canberra or something then perhaps; but until then no way.

By that logic you should hate half the weapons currently in the game...

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users