14 replies to this topic

#1 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

Okay, my initial plan was to master at least two chassis and variants in each weight class.

So far I've got

- Lights: Jenners done, Locusts started
- Meds: Cicadas and Wolverines done
- Hvy: Mads done, Warhamers started
- Aslt: Zeus done, ???

Right, wrong, or indifferent after a bit of browsing and reading I decided I really kinda liked the Stalkers. I've clearly got a history of not exactly picking the comp or top meta type builds, and I'm perfectly fine with it. I so far have enjoyed all my picks, especially Oxide.

SO.... I picked up the STK-5M last night to begin with. Messed around in Smurfy and on the field a bit with equipment and engines I had on hand... started with short ranged loadouts.. first two matches believe it or not barely got a shot off... man am I out of practice in assaults (read: wayyy too much time in lights lately...)

Any exciting, fun, and/or reasonably effective builds folks like to share? So far my greatest inspiration has come from this forum :)

Thanks in advance!

#2 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

Well, if you want something you didn't have before, as the zeus can be a missile boat and a laser boat, I could recoment the king crabs as daka boats, dual gauss or 2xac20 brawler, so consider that Posted Image .

But if stalkers are a must , there is a bunch of nice meta builds and others, with a lot of srms , large lasers , med pulse and such, no dakka though except for the hero.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 03 February 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#3 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

I have a build I've had some success with. Its a 300 std engine with max armor.
Its got 4 ER LL and 2 SRM 6's with artemis and an AMS system.

#4 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:23 AM

Tried a "speedy" :P STD310, downgraded to 5 SRM4's so I could drop the Artemis and added some 2 LPL and a zombie medium to cover the ammo dependency. Aside from the a bit of struggle to reset my Light-mech playstyle back to plodding Assaults it was surprisingly satisfying. Will optimize a bit more but so far fun. May try Vonbach's though I feel a bit guilty not leveraging all those missile hardpoints.

thanks!

#5 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:51 AM

I don't have the build available atm, but my STK-5M has something like 2 LRM-15, 2 LRM-5, 5 MLs on it. The LRMs are nice for those times you feel like playing fire support, and the 5 MLs provide some good close-in defense should anything come gunning for you.

This is a quickie/approximate build from memory, note the 10-tube limits on the arm launchers (I don't like LRM-10s much because they are the least tonnage-efficient).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4712e2a93e3012c

If you reduce weight elsewhere (the Artemis, for instance), you can replace the CT ML with a LL, ERLL or possibly even LPL for more direct fire/zombie potential.

(Edit: I run it with a LRM-15 Cooldown and MLaser Range module, also, it looks hot but you are generally firing either the LRMs OR the MLs, not both, and they both run well on chain fire if necessary.)

Edited by MadBadger, 04 February 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#6 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

I'm not much of a lurmer, but I can see the benefit of having some 'soften up' time while you close range with your build. I'll give this or a close variant of it a try tonight and see if I have any better skill at lrms than I have in the past.

On occasion I try and stick a few lrm5's on a build (like one of my MAD variants) but usually I find I brawl better than lurm and it's tonnage that could go to short range.
Will let you know how it works.

Have you tried swapping some of the lrms for srm to support the MLs once in brawl range?
Or would that end up to watered down to be useful?

Edited by Morggo, 04 February 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#7 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

Haven't tried SRMs on it, I have other mechs that are better for that sort of in-your-face brawling. (I consider SRMs pretty much a brawler-only weapon, but that's just me) If you lost the two LRM5s for SRM4 or 6's, you wouldn't lose too much LRM 'power' but you would lose some of the harass/shake/blind factor and need to split ammo spaces. You aren't supposed to be brawling on a support mech - 5 MLs is quite decent close defense if you need it.

I'm also not much on LRMing, in fact of something like 80 mechs this one and a Clan WarHawk are the only two with LRMs as a primary system. Mostly because both of them can support a decent LRM punch and a sizeable laser backup (relying on missiles alone would be frustrating for me).

It's just nice sometimes to 'reach out and touch someone', also of course certain maps really like them.

Keep in mind that while Artemis is for tighter grouping, on an LRM mech you need direct Line of Sight to the target for it kick in.

Edited by MadBadger, 04 February 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#8 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

This is the build I use on the 3F, it works on the 5M too. The main weapon are the LLas, the LRMs nice backup when you dont have line of sight and/or are hot.

#9 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostMorggo, on 03 February 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

Okay, my initial plan was to master at least two chassis and variants in each weight class.

So far I've got

- Lights: Jenners done, Locusts started
- Meds: Cicadas and Wolverines done
- Hvy: Mads done, Warhamers started
- Aslt: Zeus done, ???

Right, wrong, or indifferent after a bit of browsing and reading I decided I really kinda liked the Stalkers. I've clearly got a history of not exactly picking the comp or top meta type builds, and I'm perfectly fine with it. I so far have enjoyed all my picks, especially Oxide.

SO.... I picked up the STK-5M last night to begin with. Messed around in Smurfy and on the field a bit with equipment and engines I had on hand... started with short ranged loadouts.. first two matches believe it or not barely got a shot off... man am I out of practice in assaults (read: wayyy too much time in lights lately...)

Any exciting, fun, and/or reasonably effective builds folks like to share? So far my greatest inspiration has come from this forum Posted Image

Thanks in advance!

STK-5M Deathbarrel

Don't you dare use the MLs unless it's extremely necessary. The original build actually had no lasers in it, and no Endosteel, but if you slap Endo, you can fit lasers, which can help.

You're a bigger version of the splat cat. I will admit I've never piloted this build myself, but I've seen ASRM6 STKs that had fun with it. Provided you can get close enough to vaporize people.

Don't be deceived by the heat efficiency in smurfy, without calculating basics or elites, and if your'e using the SRMs in alpha fire mode only, you have a heat efficiency of 1.08 (54%), which is good enough to get you through most fights. Of course, once you get basics, and elites, you'll have even more heat to play with.

Just remember to chainfire those SRMs when you don't have a 100% guaranteed shot. That way you don't trigger the ghost heat on the 6s which pops up when you fire 5 of them together.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 04 February 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#10 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

Cool, I'll put those two into the rotation. I like to run 5 matches per build just to get a sampling.

For the deathbarrel.... crickey! My only concern would be "only" 600 ammo... sounds like a lot but I could see that burning quick. Technically, that's only.. what... 20 alphas... stretches longer if you LMB/RMB into two groups or chainfire but I guess you still have the MLs to fall back on.. though that also assumes you've lived past the halfway mark Posted Image

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.
Imma make this ride work!

Looking forward, since I am feeling good I'll keep the chassis as viable now.... I assume everyone would endorse Misery as one of my three to basic... which of the remaining are people liking? The 4N looks like it has potential for a good mix of long and short energy.... though the 5S has.. two AMS? hmmm, usually rely on Radar Derp but..hmmmm

Edited by Morggo, 04 February 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#11 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostMorggo, on 04 February 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

Cool, I'll put those two into the rotation. I like to run 5 matches per build just to get a sampling.

For the deathbarrel.... crickey! My only concern would be "only" 600 ammo... sounds like a lot but I could see that burning quick. Technically, that's only.. what... 20 alphas... stretches longer if you LMB/RMB into two groups or chainfire but I guess you still have the MLs to fall back on.. though that also assumes you've lived past the halfway mark Posted Image

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.
Imma make this ride work!

Looking forward, since I am feeling good I'll keep the chassis as viable now.... I assume everyone would endorse Misery as one of my three to basic... which of the remaining are people liking? The 4N looks like it has potential for a good mix of long and short energy.... though the 5S has.. two AMS? hmmm, usually rely on Radar Derp but..hmmmm

In all honesty, you can shove more ammo in there (remember I have an MPL in the CT. If you remove it, that's 2 tons, and 3 slots for ammo.)

#12 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

ERL
ERL
ERL
ERL
ERL

10 DHS . Zoom. ERL Cooldown .

810 Optimal range with bonus and module . While people try to hit you with AC5 at that range and miss 70% of their bullets that do less damage

7 kills most damage dealt and 1500 damage on wide map . There are 5 of . Kind of sucks on small maps but it does not suck as much as you would think .

I am about to vomit wait wait . ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Edited by MadCat02, 04 February 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#13 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

I'm running a STK-5M close support build in CW currently to good effect.

5 x LRM5, 3 x ER LgLasers, 900 ammo.

Runs out about halfway through second wave, but the LgLasers are good for picking off torso's opened up by the constant missile stream.

#14 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

For Brawling been using Metamechs 'JayZ' inspired build to good effect:

Deadsided 2LPL 1ML 3ASRM6

Basically, hug a wall/corner and peek. Twist/roll that incoming damage. Use discipline till they get close enough then slap their face.

#15 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

For the 4N I tend to run 4x LL (arms), 2 MPL (CT) STD engine, AMS (1.5 T of ammo) and as many heatsinks as will fit. It is not as instantly devastating as the 6x LL build but it is far easier to handle the heat build up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users