Falcon Hawk, Wraith, Guillotine

9 replies to this topic

#1 TG Xarbala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationCan I get back to you on that?

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

This was for SomethingAwful's play-by-post Battletech campaign. I took some whimsical liberties with some design elements, especially on the Wraith in particular. Yes, I'm well aware that rotary-"barrel" lasers make no sense whatsoever.

I also posted my Rolling Thunder painting on here under a different pilot name, Duckeye, a few months ago.

For canon art of these 'Mechs, see their sarna pages.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Falcon_Hawk
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wraith
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Guillotine

Posted Image

Fullsize version is on my dA, again.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Pointless or not, Wraith looks dang good.

And hey, on a pulse laser, wouldnt help keep the lasing chambers cooler if you had several air cooled barrels? I am not scientist, but ya know?

I should hire u to paint my Banshee!

#3 TG Xarbala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Thanks, man! Your Banshee -3S sure does put the official Banshee art to shame, too. Though I still have a lot of pending requests to get out of the way.

Chuggernaut would be right un-chuffed if I worked on someone else's Banshee before I ever got started on his own Lyran C3 lance.

Edited by TG Xarbala, 12 July 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#4 Irish79

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

always liked the look of the wraith, I had a mini painted in midnight blue with highlights of lighting all over the body - unfortunately it along with a few other pulse jumpers turned Inner Sphere 3055 tech competition matches in Australia into jump from forest hex to forest hex, fire LPL fests...

looks sweet man!

Edited by Irish79, 12 July 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Wow! Really amazing picture. :(

It's nice to see some Marik art for a change. Congrats on the work. :D

#6 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Love the Guillotine. Without those ridiculously high slung shoulders it looks much better.

I also prefer the "hood" of your Wraith, although a pulsed laser really doesn't look different from a normal one. I even went to the next lab to check ^^.

I could say that your Falcon Hawk looks much better (and hawkier) than the original. Since the original is quite ugly, I'd just say it's a nice looking Mech.

#7 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

NEW DESKTOP BACKGROUND!!

Glad to see the Wraith Love...it's one of my favorites! :lol:

#8 Teljaxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 143 posts
  • Location*ERROR* Location.txt not found.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

Very Nice!

The Lighting on the Mechs from their weapons is fantastic, and I love the moons through the clouds in the background.

And don't you know? Gatling Lasers belong in Heavy Gear! :ph34r:

#9 TG Xarbala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

View PostTeljaxx, on 17 July 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

Very Nice!

The Lighting on the Mechs from their weapons is fantastic, and I love the moons through the clouds in the background.

And don't you know? Gatling Lasers belong in Heavy Gear! :D

Haha! I was thinking Fallout. :D And yeah, the whole pic was basically an experiment with lighting from multiple sources. I do say I overexaggerated a bit and there's not enough grey tones to wash down some of the garishness. But overall it looks good, I think.

View PostSideSt3p, on 13 July 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

NEW DESKTOP BACKGROUND!!

Glad to see the Wraith Love...it's one of my favorites! :o

Likewise! And I also hate it for all the reasons I love that notorious jumpy pulseboat.

View PostDerMaulwurf, on 13 July 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Love the Guillotine. Without those ridiculously high slung shoulders it looks much better.

I also prefer the "hood" of your Wraith, although a pulsed laser really doesn't look different from a normal one. I even went to the next lab to check ^^.

I could say that your Falcon Hawk looks much better (and hawkier) than the original. Since the original is quite ugly, I'd just say it's a nice looking Mech.

Thanks, too! I like Eriance/Eric Ou's wraith though I feel it lost a bit with the change of silhouette. I did incorporate similar lines on the torso glacis as his, but only just so. And it's easy to tell I'm inspired to a large degree by FD's work, since I have a tendency to flatten some surfaces and make them more angular and industrial. That wound up shrinking the hood a bit since I didn't want to oversell it.

The Falcon Hawk was interesting because the canon 'Mech has such a rounded yet generically humanoid design. It's actually kinda boring! I tried to keep some of the roundness with bevelled surfaces and gentle slopes. Again, FD's influence shows through in the hip design, which is pretty much the best-looking way to do humanoid legs on a 'Mech, I think.

The Guillotine, though, ah that's something else. It's a design commissioned for the fan-made TRO:3063 project, and I just wanted to reuse it in a color-image context. It is hard to make a 'Mech like that look good.

View PostAdridos, on 12 July 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Wow! Really amazing picture. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see some Marik art for a change. Congrats on the work. :D

I know, right? I had half a mind to post this in FWL subforum but thought the better of it. The pic is basically "Three FWL 'Mechs at Night."

#10 SilverWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

waiting for my mech, shhh :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users