- - - - -

Confused

32 replies to this topic

#1 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:34 AM

I don't have all the weapons available...

how do I get UAC-2s,RACs, AC/20s and other such dangerous implements of MD?

I'll smurfy my build to the proper thread, btw.

I also can't access some of the battlemechs...

Do I need to rank up to get better 'Mechs?

Like World of Tanks?

PS: I've had great luck w/ RVN-4X Sniper.

PPS: I need a gaming mouse, as running this on my laptop trackpad is awful. So builds I run can only have 2 weapon brackets and my torso twist will be temporarily gimp for a while.

Otherwise, my Wi-Fi has really low ping, and the game runs with seldom a hiccup on my $850 Dell! My first ever *NEW* Computer.

PPPS: I was extremely poor people growing up, but now I'm moving up!

#2 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:42 AM

View PostMotormouth, on 12 February 2016 - 02:34 AM, said:

I don't have all the weapons available...

how do I get UAC-2s,RACs, AC/20s and other such dangerous implements of MD?

You have strip the other gear out of your mech....

You need spare tonnage and internal slots!

You need to buy them as only trails are free to use.

Like World of Tanks?

NOPE! MC and Cbills only required

PPS: I need a gaming mouse, as running this on my laptop trackpad is awful. So builds I run can only have 2 weapon brackets and my torso twist will be temporarily gimp for a while.

I run using a mouse, I in fact use a alpha strike on M1 and something else on M2..

This would be wayyyyyyy to hard to use a touchpad

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 12 February 2016 - 02:42 AM.

#3 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

Yeah mouse is the only way to go, your in a low tier atm so there is not the threats but as you move up you'll need a good mouse with extra buttons to make everything smoother (IE using coolshot in the midst of battle)
My mouse LMB = Left side, RMB = Right side, Scroll wheel for comms, 2 buttons on left do arty/uav & coolshot and the other two buttons change my dpi which i sometimes do on the fly.
You do not need to rank up to get better mechs, there are no 'better mechs' just heavier mechs which require more cbills to purchase. The more you play a mech, the more XP it earns and you can unlock bonuses for it (in your pilot skill tree) but this also requires you to have 3 different varients of a chassis (IE Raven) to unlock further bonuses) (RVN-3L, RVN-2X, RVN 4X all basic skills unlocked)

Edited by Arn0ldSchwarzenegger, 12 February 2016 - 02:44 AM.

#4 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

Glad you are improving your personal situation mate.

First of all, any mouse would do for a start. Gaming mouse will help you more, sure.

RACs are not in the game, the other weapons can be equipped and bought in your mechlab.

You can buy all mechs on day1, some are only available for MC (=real cash) tho.

#5 Thunderchild

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:44 AM

Game is set in 3049/3050 timeline. UAC2s, RACs and other stuff are not yet available in the timeline so you don't get that option for IS mechs.

Clan mechs however do have UAC 2,5,10 and 20.

For ranking up: no. Get Cbills/MC and buy whatever you want. But to "master" the chassis you need to have at least 3 mechs of the same chassis (so 3 Ravens in your case). Right now you can only "Basic" your 4X.

Check some youtube videos on Mastery as well as on Mech/Weapon modules to get how they work.

#6 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:54 AM

Forgot to mention. My mouse was only £15 ($25)so you dont need a super magic mouse to be competitive I assure you.

#7 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:28 AM

What mouse?

I'd like a trackball.

I'm having trouble staying in proper lanes, especially as a Light.

What's the dig with them?

They seem to define the difference between winning and losing.

As for staying on the move, is there a good video I could watch of it? to emulate?

I've gotten a lot better by Dropping and after Rankers paint the map with my Crow, watching them fight.

I went from barely any consistent victories to 3-2 and surviving at least 2 of them.

Smurfy's is being slow on Microsoft Edge and I'm being too lazy to pull up Firefox.

Any tips on lanes and how to use them, or at least how NOT to mess up other people's? I get not staying behind, but I shoot from the left and guard on the right, so aligning myself and getting shots w/ my ERlaserLs is proving tricky.

PS, why does everyone hate Conquest?

EDIT: I intend to master the Raven first. Lights are hard, but hard to use a good player makes. Then move up to Blackjacks, Afterwards the Jaegermechs. For Assaults I want to run Catapults. Later on maybe Centurions... I really liked the one I played around with. But I sold it w/ the Commando to free up some 'Mech bays... AFTER stripping out all the weapons/components. Waste not want not~

Edited by Motormouth, 12 February 2016 - 03:45 AM.

#8 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:30 AM

Lanes? Dont fight amongst your team as a light, hit the flanks

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

some Mechs are only available for MC, the Heroes and Champions, when new Mechs are released they can only be purchased through a preorder pack, usualy for 1-2 months then they become available for MC and a month later for Cbills

no, except those I mentioned above everything is available for cbills to a brand new player

View PostMotormouth, on 12 February 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

no idea, possibly because it means you can kill 11 enemies without loosing any Mechs and still loose if you do not make sure you hold a few cap points.

I personally prefer assault and conquest to skirmish because they force you to think about more than just killing all the enemies.

#10 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostMotormouth, on 12 February 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

I'd like a trackball.

As for staying on the move, is there a good video I could watch of it? to emulate?

EDIT: I intend to master the Raven first. Lights are hard, but hard to use a good player makes. Then move up to Blackjacks, Afterwards the Jaegermechs. For Assaults I want to run Catapults. Later on maybe Centurions... I really liked the one I played around with. But I sold it w/ the Commando to free up some 'Mech bays... AFTER stripping out all the weapons/components. Waste not want not~

I'm right there with you on trackballs. I literally almost cried when my 15+ year old Trackball Explorer finally died the other night (mainly due to my own stupidity, don't ask), but ponied up the cost for what they go for nowadays for a replacement (NOT CHEAP), got back in the game some last night.

For training videos, look up Kanajashi on YouTube. Kanajashi has several excellent series of MWO training videos (good enough that there is a forum thread stickied about them). Side Strafe and Critical Rocket are pretty good too, but less about training videos and more game play and commentary on the game.

Conquest? I like it when I'm in a light or fast medium, but most people seem to just turn it into another flavor of Skirmish. Russ said at the last town hall that Assault and Conquest will be getting changes soon to make them significantly different from Skirmish, plus a new game mode coming. I personally think that was great news.

Ravens, Blackjacks, Jaegers, all solid mechs. Catapults are heavies, not assaults, you may be thinking about the Stalker, but both are good mechs. The Archer coming into the game may make the Catapult obsolete though. Not a fan of Centurians myself, but others love them, so take that as you will.

Edited by LadyDanams, 12 February 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#11 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

I dont know of any tier one players who use trackballs, but perhaps there is 1 or 2?

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

i used a trackball for almost 3 years. Recently moved up to a Logitech G502.

"What trackball?" It's like that...

#13 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostArn0ldSchwarzenegger, on 12 February 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

I dont know of any tier one players who use trackballs, but perhaps there is 1 or 2?

Not just MWO, just most "serious" gamers use mice anymore. I still prefer trackballs. Like anything it is a matter of personal preference, especially since 90% of the player base is not trying to be pro gamers or anything.

#14 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

Actually it was Critical Rocket that got me into MWO in the firsgt place.

Is there a stagger mechanic? If so, how do I counter it, avoid it or absorb it?

My light can move quick with the XL275 now, but when getting into heavier mechs, how should I deal with it?

#15 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostMotormouth, on 12 February 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Actually it was Critical Rocket that got me into MWO in the firsgt place.

Is there a stagger mechanic? If so, how do I counter it, avoid it or absorb it?

My light can move quick with the XL275 now, but when getting into heavier mechs, how should I deal with it?

If you get hit with autocannons, your mech will shake somewhat. However, I am not entirely sure if the impacts actually affect your aim or not. To avoid it as a light mech, moving between cover and not moving in a straight line helps.

How you fight heavier mechs depends on how many of his friends are nearby as well as how long or close-range your 'mech is built. Seeing as how your Raven-4x is a sniper, I would advise staying at range near your team and shooting at what enemy 'mechs you can see. Distracted targets fighting someone else are the best targets. Don't stay in one place though: if an enemy 'mech finds you stationary, that means either unwanted damage or destruction. Relocate as the battle shifts and when the enemy notices you.

#16 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...844bcd2ebcd04fc[/smurfy]

This is my current build, the Canyon Crow.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostDan Baxter, on 12 February 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

If you get hit with autocannons, your mech will shake somewhat. However, I am not entirely sure if the impacts actually affect your aim or not. To avoid it as a light mech, moving between cover and not moving in a straight line helps. How you fight heavier mechs depends on how many of his friends are nearby as well as how long or close-range your 'mech is built. Seeing as how your Raven-4x is a sniper, I would advise staying at range near your team and shooting at what enemy 'mechs you can see. Distracted targets fighting someone else are the best targets. Don't stay in one place though: if an enemy 'mech finds you stationary, that means either unwanted damage or destruction. Relocate as the battle shifts and when the enemy notices you.

Impact didn't used to...

But it does now. There's a module called Improved Gyros (should be singular not plural) and it reduces screen shake. It costs 2 million.

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

View PostMotormouth, on 12 February 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...844bcd2ebcd04fc[/smurfy]

This is my current build, the Canyon Crow.

Maybe try THIS?

First, the TAG and BAP aren't really working with the build all that well. A single ERPPC? Dismal damage output. Nothing for up-close adventures when that enemy Oxide finds you? TOAST! And the ARMOR distribution? Bro, it's like you HOPE to get shot in the back, and that simply shouldn't be.

So, the suggested build goes to MAX armor everywhere except the HEAD and LEFT ARM. You've got nothing in the left arm anyhow, so may as well not get attached to it. As for skimping on HEAD armor? Well, it's usually safe. I still wouldn't. But that's me, and what do I know? It trades that ERPPC (10 DMG) for a pair of ERLLs (18 DMG). A LITTLE BIT more heat when firing them together, but those 10 DHS do well enough to keep that in check for a few alphas. They're a little more useful against other LIGHT mechs, too, and in case your aim ain't all that great, they're HITSCAN instead of PPFLD. Nice, right? Not bad for RANGE, either. You can keep them together on LMB, and chained on RMB, for heat management. Still plenty of poke for a 35-tonner. Still MAX engine, and 3 JJs is more than enough (honestly usually only need ONE).

For the RVN-3L, you can run the SAME build almost. -3L has no JJs, but that weight/space is taken up by the ECM. No need to bother with a bigger/heavier/more-expensive engine. You already have all the gear from your -4X, so just grind up the money with that to buy your -3L. It'll be another 1.85 million CB to buy the EndoSteel structure upgrade and Double Heat Sinks, most of which you can make back by selling its fairly-uncommon XL210 engine (which should net you around 1.7 million). You can probably also ditch the AMS & ammo on the -3L, freeing up another ton for another heat sink or some more armor or ... whatever. Maybe put that TAG back in in the RT.

You're on the right track, running the Raven for a long-range light. That seems to be its niche, as it's not much of a brawler (I'm not very good, but I've been able to take down short-range-built RVN-3Ls in a LCT-3M). Spotting is cool, but LRMs aren't back to THAT extent just yet. Simply maintaining a target lock is going to help your team out immensely, if they're using LRMs at all. And CASE? It doesn't work that way here. That side torso gets wrecked by something, you're losing the engine and the mech, CASE or no CASE. As you don't have any ammo in the side torsos or legs anyway, it's VERY MUCH a wasted ton of stuff.

TL;DR- keep working on your build, unless you really REALLY love it the way it is, in which case you can just iggy me.

#19 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

The RAbbi's build is much better for your purposes. Try it. Just note that you need to have situational awareness with any sniper. Do NOT let enemy lights get too close or you will lose that battle. An ACH with a boatload of small pulse will make you have a bad day really quickly.

Good luck, welcome to MWO, and hope to see you on the battlefield.

#20 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

Well, I sure appreciate the feedback. I did a couple matches tonight. Not bad when I tweaked the armor. As for the PPC, I got 109 damage in one match, but we lost... I was the last guy to go down though and that's a first.

The other two we one, I did 69 and 78 damage, and survived at least one. I dropped a UAV an Airstrike while going around the rear in River City, then used a UAV on HPG manifold by rushing onto the top hill, drawing the enemy to me, dropping down, circling around and supporting my team.

My new Logitech Trackball comes in the mail next Monday, spent Valentine's Day w/ the Fiancee, and got my best three drops to date. Still, the touchpad on the laptop forces me to drive or torso twist.

But, this build is working for me.

P.S. I can aim VERY well. Especially on the move. But, the ERPPC let's me snap shot and move. I want to harry/harass, flank and snipe. Then use my Raven's small vertical profile to hide and spot on bigger maps.

The AMS has saved my *** more times to date then I can possibly count. However, when I get the mouse I'm going to try and play around with the BAP and TAG, I feel I might only need one...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users