• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostIndependence MK2, on 12 February 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

*snip*

Except for one thing. You can't inflict heat damage to the enemy if their heat is at or above 90%. A shut down mech at that point is above 90%, so your flamers would be doing nothing, but making sure they start back up at 90% heat. Thusly, if you're enemy is a cool-running ballistic mech, you're still pretty screwed, no matter now much heat damage you try to inflict.

Wow . . . this is just pissing me off more and more . . . I can't even run my Ember in it's proper configuration because the Flamers won't be doing any damage; and, as you even stated, will be nerfed in 3 out of 4 facets of the weapon's usefulness. What a joke, indeed . . . what a sad, twisted, and demented joke on PGI's part.

#42 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Soooo, thoughts on quirks:

Lights
Mist Lynx: Well, you can get 10% energy cooldown and 15% energy heat, which sounds awesome... but it's HARD to overheat a mist lynx as it stands. It's a 25t mech, and with both the A arms for the quirks, it has just 2E hardpoints, that's it. What good is that? Without quirks, it has a 42% heat efficiency with nothing but locked in DHS and 2 ERLL's; 27 seconds of continuous fire until overheat.

Cute Fox: 5% energy heat. Welcome, but... not outstanding in any way. 2pts of structure. Woohoo, move over, Arctic Cheetah!

Badder: Just like the Cute Fox; umm, ok. the 5% energy heat is more welcome here, but still not going to move Adders anywhere.

Mediums
Nova: lol. That's all. +4 structure throughout most? It's not nothing, but it's extremely unlikely to make any difference at all.

Ice Ferret: Well, more arm armor is welcome. At least amoungst bad clan mediums, it's actually able to carry it's weight. And improvement, but not enough of one to make it a good mech.

Heavy
Mad Dog: CT based mobility quirks and ST structure are both very welcome. The lower-launcher count ST cycle buffs are good to make otherwise worthless ST's worth considering (I'd still argue LRM5 configurations are going to remain the way to LRM on a MDD).

Summoner: Well, they'll improve it a bit, but the Summoners hardpoint and tonnage restrictions still are going to keep it in the box for anyone not using it right now.

Assault
Gargles: Armor is better than structure, so there's that. LBX buffs are wasted space, with LBX's being bad and the quirks not nearly good enough to make them not-bad. Minor ballistic buffs, but Gargles struggles to run ballistics at all on account of tonnage, and ERPPC buffs that still don't make ERPPC's worth using. Poor Gargles.

Direwolf: Still unusable due to the agility nerfs, though at least it loses it's other nerfs, which I suppose is a thing. Doesn't matter when you're that slow and cumbersome though.

Highlander: God damnit, why couldn't this have seen even just minor agility buffs? Thing is a *pig* right now, and lacks hardpoint count to counter that DWF style. It's just sad.

#43 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Wow, big patch with a lot of changes.

I run both Clan and IS. General gameplay and CW.

Apart from a few issues I was thinking that Clan vs IS balance was getting fairly even. With the negative Clan quirks being removed, improved TCs and blanket long range IS laser reductions I have concerns how this is going to play out in CW.

The [former] state of the CW map did not really reflect an IS vs Clan technology imbalance. It was larger Units (and potentially playbase skill) choosing to play certain factions that caused Clan retreat. Now that certain big units have gone back to playing certain Clans we are already seeing expansion once again.

I suppose we will see how things pan out over the next couple of months before we see another quirk revisit if things do not work out well.

I am disappointed though that small changes are not put in to look at issues rather instead of the large changes that cause more problems than what was there in the first place.

Cheers
Eboli.

Edited by Eboli, 12 February 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#44 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

You're all being so diplomatic. Instead of something like...

View PostEboli, on 12 February 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

I am disappointed though that small changes are not put in to look at issues rather instead of the large changes that cause more problems than what was there in the first place.

... I'd rather say something to the effect of "Claiming that you needed to cut down all energy range quirks to 10% in order to fix an alleged issue with the ER LL is either bloody stupid or a bald-faced lie!"

#45 Sillymicrobe

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

View Postxe N on, on 12 February 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Flamers could be so cool.

... if you could use them to start forest fire on certain maps to obtain a tactical advantage (see Far Cry)
... if you could use them on water to get steam clouds ("smoke granade")
... if you could use them to explode vehicles, ships, burn down buildings or create smoke walls
... if they could be used to make snowy areas slippery.
... if they had an increased changes to trigger ammo explosions

These are some pretty cool ideas, but realistically speaking the only one that I think could be implemented without too much of a hassle would be a smoke/steam screen that would be environmentally dependent. For instance snow or water would produce steam, and vegetation would produce varying levels of smoke. On the flip side though, maps like caustic valley and other low vegetation/water maps don't have a lot of elements that would go up in smoke or steam, in a way it would have an impact on the utility of the weapon on those maps.

All in all, I find that the re-balance of the flamer as a utility weapon to not be a completely bad thing, however I too think that they should have kept some of its damage from before while also coming up with more ways like this to keep it effective as a tool.

Just thinking of light mech running across the map scorching a patch in front of them to provide temporary concealment for teammates seems like a great way of adding another way for light mechs to aid a team. That is just my 2 cents your ideas though.. Posted Image

#46 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 12 February 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

Was summoner left arm animation glitch on the list as well?

Posted Image

bro that is the FINGER OF SCORN, don't mess

#47 Thanatos31

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationEnroute to Terra

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

wasnt the NOVA supposed to be resized in this patch?

#48 Colonel ONeill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 662 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

no love to the IIC mechs? but Gargoyle and Maddog? sad

#49 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostColonel ONeill, on 12 February 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

no love to the IIC mechs? but Gargoyle and Maddog? sad

well, to be fair, Gargles has been terrible for a long time. The IIC mechs (well, at least the HGN) have just been terrible for a short time.

But the Gargles' buffs are junk. The MDD did benefit nicely, though.

#50 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

I thought clans were getting buffed this patch? Or did I miss something?

Never mind, I found it

Edited by ShinobiHunter, 12 February 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#51 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostRad Hanzo, on 12 February 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Mr. Garden, please set the scientists to work, ´cause :
We NEED to murder ALL the trees !

Mooooooooooom ? Where´s my axe again ?

As a sidenote ... wanna try out all those mechs with the new quirkings ^^.

You know where that ax is? Do you?

HATCHETMAN

#52 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Is it just me or does that actually sound like a nerf for the flamer? /facepalm

#53 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Aaaand there goes the tech balance for another year of clan supremacy.
No more money from me....seriously....never again!

#54 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

There is nothing wrong with capping heat at 90% when being applied by flamers, because at Mech at 90% heat would be experiencing terrible heat scale effects, right?

Right?

Right?

#55 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostThanatos31, on 12 February 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

wasnt the NOVA supposed to be resized in this patch?

no, in the town hall Russ said no rescaled Mechs would be released until all the rescailing for all Mechs that need it are done, he refused to give an ETA

#56 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 12 February 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

You know where that ax is? Do you?
HATCHETMAN

Every Hatchetman request has the inverse effect of delaying its arrival by 1 more day.
By my count you have delayed the arrival of the Hatchmen by 237 years.

#57 oranjinke

Rookie

• Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Ah, the cry-sounds of IS-quirk-players are just so... sweet.

#58 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

Amount of Heat per second applied to an enemy 'Mech has been increased from 0 to 4.5.

I laughed. Really, ZERO? No wonder flamers were useless...

I more or less second the balance changes, but MLX and KFX would've needed some additonal love. Maybe 10% on laser duration. Or even just LL-duration.
But: you killed Locust Laserrange, and gave them additonal machinegunpower for it? Seriously, do you think that will compensate? To go in a brawl with a Locust? Even with the existing, massive quirks, locusts had been mostly borderline useful. Even the better ones, like the six SPL/ML-Locust.

#59 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

View Postmagicmushroom, on 12 February 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

Ah, the cry-sounds of IS-quirk-players are just so... sweet.

Ya the op locust and spiders where just pushing clans back to their home planets.....

#60 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 12 February 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

Ya the op locust and spiders where just pushing clans back to their home planets.....

It's okay. A 4 ton, 1 slot laser should out-perform a 5 ton 2 slot laser.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users