Logitech G13 Gameboard

40 replies to this topic

#1 Lycaonis

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Has anyone here used this product? Looks like it could be a great addition to a MWO set up. The thumbstick could work nicely as a throttle/directional control component.

http://www.newegg.co..._-pla-_-NA-_-NA

#2 MostlyHarmless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

I've used it in MW4 and wot as well as about any fps. It is a great product, I like a joystick and throttle for simulation but honestly the g13 is much better since it can be used on more types of games. When I got mine I had upgraded from a wolf king gaming keyboard and the g13 is hands down better, I had looked at the razer offering but it lacked as many buttons and wasn't as comfortable to me. Belkin also had one out at the time but it also didn't fit me well.

#3 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

Looks similar to the nostromo. In my case whatever I could do on the nostromo I could do faster on a well keymapped keyboard. In fact my nostromo is sitting in a corner gathering dust. I wish you more luck with yours than I had with my aux keypad.

#4 Bittersteel

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Have had the Nostromo and the G13 and love the G13. Quick record macros and quick switch between 3 different key layouts in the same profile make it great.

#5 silentD11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 816 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, it lacks mechanical keys. Get a good mechanical keyboard and call it a day.

#6 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I'm looking at both and leaning towards the Nostromo.

#7 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have the G13, and cant think of a single bad thing to say about it. I've used it in all sorts of games, from sims, FPS, RTS, to MMO. It's comfortable and as useful as you want to make it.

#8 Bronyraur

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

I have a Nostromo and while I'd rather have the original Belkin N52 it is great! I play both FPS and MMOs and it's great for both. I'm looking forward to trying it out in MWO.

I realize that you can do the same with a well thought out keymap profile, but I like the fact that I don't miss hit any other keys when using the Nostromo. Nothing more annoying than opening a console or something when trying to "1" in a fast paced fight.

#9 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

I wish I could've found one of these used in-person to try out.
Ironically, I have a G11 gaming keyboard, but it is an actual full length keyboard with custom buttons on the left and backlit keys. I would've never guessed that two model numbers "higher" would be a "gameboard"

#10 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I've been looking at both the G13 and the Razer Nostromo, as well as a more complete Joystick system like the Saitek x52 or even possibly the Razor Artemis or Mek Fu.

Still haven't made up my mind on any of them.

#11 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

I have a g19 keyboard and I have plenty of buttons on it so I have no use for an external pad..
for mech warrior.. I currently have my old Saitek X45 (thinking of getting the X52 pro)..
those work perfectly fine for me..

#12 Havoc3D

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFlint, MI

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have the G13 and really like it. I'm left handed and finding a game pad for the right hand is a little tough. I can't really use the analogue stick on it, but it's not a huge loss. The stick is just WADS, not an actual analogue stick; sort of an odd design choice.

The quick on-the-fly macros are the big win on it for me. Rather than remap the game I find it easier to remap the game's profile on the fly with the G13.

I still need to try G13 on the left and joystick on the right, as I think that would be optimal for mechwarrior for me. Don't have anywhere to put the joystick on the right, though. Think I might have to look into one of those mini-desks for laptops to put my joystick on.

#13 Nikoliy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Lycaonis there is a couple of reasons to try it. It’s more ergonomic then standard keyboards, even a G series keyboard. The "on the fly" programming or through the program is very easy so direct support by a game is not required. Also the software can be setup to automatically switch to the proper profile for each game with 3 key layouts per profile. So you can have different key layout for different roles. The thumb stick is basically 4 buttons but can also emulate a mouse in case you need your right hand to type something. Also I hope that it can be used to perhaps target the arms independently.
I would suggest that you go and pick one up at a store that takes returns to try it out and if you like then find a good deal on the internet…

Edited by Nikoliy, 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#14 Jerot

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 14 July 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

I have a g19 keyboard and I have plenty of buttons on it so I have no use for an external pad..
for mech warrior.. I currently have my old Saitek X45 (thinking of getting the X52 pro)..
those work perfectly fine for me..

I used to swear by my G19 for the longest time, until I noticed how unreliable its response time gets. It wouldn't really affect a game like MWO in any noticeable way, but after having owned one for two years it started lagging behind when playing rhythm games that had really tight timing windows (2-30ms) and other precise things I needed it to do. These days I run a Razer Black Widow Ultimate and Mamba 4G, still has great macro/quick macro keys and the response time is phenomenal.(Not to mention its 10,000x easier to clean)

And the screen never really got used after the first week of owning it, interesting, but gimmicky. I don't look down at my keyboard that often.

Edited by Jerot, 14 July 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#15 steck

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

I have used the razor nostromo and the G13 and I like the G13 better, it has more buttons in a better layout IMHO and it has the top LCD screen also. The only good thing about the nostromo IMHO is the joystick, the nostromo joystick has 8 positions (up, up right, right, down right, down, down left, left, up left) while the G13 has 4 (up, down, left, right).

#16 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

just get a g-15 and be done with itkeyboards are far superior to those sawed off gameboards

#17 Alondo

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

I keep looking at at getting a G13, I already have an N52 Nostromo gathering dust. The N52 works just fine, but I found that after bought my first Logitech G15 (The Blue backlit one with the 18 G keys), then subsequently another G15 (The Orange one with only 6 G keys), and now finally the G 510 (Back to 18 G keys and mutiple color backlighting), that a gamepad of any kind is quite redundant. But I still look at that damn G13 with lust in my heart. :D

And by the way, the other older keyboards I referenced still work just fine. I tend to give my old computers away to friends and family, so the keyboards go with them.

#18 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

i like my g13 i like the fact that i have 22 main keys and can set 3 different sets for those 22 main keys plus 2 buttons next to the thumb stick plus a button under the thumb stick so u can have 29 keys x3 which means u can set it up any way u can imagin plus set the keys to do combo buttons in 1 push.... i also have or had a the x52 pro its a great joystick but i prefer my mouse and g13 for when i play mechs if im flying then i use the x52 but its always still up to u

#19 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have seen people use the entire left side of a gamepad (sitting on the keyboard pullout), along with their mouse (for accurate quick aiming), left thumb wheel, left shoulder triggers, left d-Pad, and absolutlely wreck a server in PC gaming..
In console gaming they developed something called the (SPLIT FISH) and the people that used it absolutlely owned servers for a game like COD MW2 when they first came out..
I DON'T play console games, but I put this theory to the test WAY before the SPLIT FISH, and I retired 7 First Person Shooter servers at the #1 slot.. Not all at the same time mind you, but as the CLAN rented servers in new games, but the advantage of a thumb wheel over W.A.S.D., was evident, I could be a little more precise with movement (even though that has been debated), and quicker on target than lets say someone using a Xbox 360 controller, but almost nobody used a Controller with keystorkes programmed in... You need a controller or gamepad that you can assign keystrokes to..
One XS server (COD WaW), One AKC (COD WaW) Server, AKC 2-(BFBC2 servers), AKC 2-(COD BO servers) AKC 1-(BF3 server)
I ditched COD games they are just twitch shooters with no tactics needed... I really like simulators like Sturmovik IL-2 1946, and Silent Hunter 3, back in the day, and I think I might have to get the old flight stick out of retirement for game experience immersion, but I can tell you this..
Whatever gets you on target accurately, the fastest is key, and what can make you move quicker, and more precise is the key to killing the other guy before he gets you... Throttle and stick setups are neat for a total gam experience, but if you're in it to win, then the choice should be clear what is faster, more precise and accurate...
It's your call..

#20 Vichus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNear Pittsburgh

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

The logitech joystick is fully analog and can be mapped as a joystick. You can only map it to 4 keys, which is why I think some of you think it is only 4 directional. I find the g13 superior to wasd on the keyboard because you can use your thumb for movement and have all your other fingers free to activate keys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users