How To Determine

5 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

How do i determine a affiliation that i want to be a part of? I do know i want the group to be active and they have to have training plus hold native american culture in high esteem(thats me).

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

The lore behind Clan Ghost Bear is ROUGHLY influenced by Native American culture.
For Inner Sphere, Davion is inherently the American faction, but no emphasis on native culture per se.
However, how any of this translates to actual MWO units is a different story.
There are a small handfull of units that really enjoy the Battle Tech lore and try to model their units in a similar fashion, but it is not common.

#3 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

I suppose you could go and contact a few units you think might hold Native American culture in high esteem. Lots of units have webpages you can look up. I'm not a huge lore buff, so there are probably some things I don't know about, but I think that contacting the units you may be interested in is your best bet to finding what you are looking for. You may also want to post this in the battletech universe forum section rather than the new player help section. Just a suggestion though.

Peace, and have fun.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

Konnichwa (bows)

There is lore, then there is the reality of the people that make up said factions and/or units.

Very likely the best you will be able to do is how you present/roleplay your character.

Sayonara (bows)

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:04 AM

first are you after a unit (a group of people to play with regularly) or a faction (one of the Great Houses or Clans)

if you are after a group to play with then look in the Community Warfare forums and see if you can find a group who look to be to your liking.
http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

if you are after a faction then I would say Ghost Bear looks like the best bet (Davion is more French/English rather than American). The Clans as a whole are a group of warrior tribes who sometimes fight between them selves but are currently united against a greater enemy, they abhor waste, and hold great reverence for their totem animals.
That sounds similar to native American culture to me, however they also believe in honorable 1v1 combat, avoid contractions and speak in formal British English, however few players respect any of the lore while playing although I did have a nice 1v1 dual against the last surviving Timber Wolf on the enemy team (when we still had about 20 Mechs left) in a CW match a few days ago, it was glorious, especial the facts that both of us started in completely fresh Mechs and my Warhammer had no armor breaches when the TBR collapsed.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 14 February 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

The lore behind Clan Ghost Bear is ROUGHLY influenced by Native American culture.
For Inner Sphere, Davion is inherently the American faction, but no emphasis on native culture per se.
However, how any of this translates to actual MWO units is a different story.
There are a small handfull of units that really enjoy the Battle Tech lore and try to model their units in a similar fashion, but it is not common.

Davion is more akin to American culture, but actually the main language and national origins are French and English with a higher emphasis on French. Davions love Autocannons -- but this is mainly because they lack the resources and funds for laser-based battlemechs and instead resort to more primitive ammunition-based weaponry. Any particularly good tech they get is stolen from either House Kurita (Space fuedal Japan) (the largest user of energy-weapons and mech-sized melee weapons like swords and hatchets) and House Liao (Space Communist China) (the largest supplier of ECM).

House Marik is actually closer to America in terms of politics and beliefs. It's kinda Swiss in terms of taking care of its people (to almost unbelievable extents; amazing healthcare, privacy, etc.). It supplies higher grade tech to all sides and is the largest supply of tech for the IS aside from Comstar. Then there's ungodly budgets spent on forces that often never see combat. 26 million cbills for a Battlemech? Sure, lets get 20 dozen of them and mothball 18 dozen. Might need them. Sometime. If we can ever get through the red tape to get into a conflict. Maybe. So definitely American in military budget spending too. Strangely despite its incredible spending... Marik prefers to use light tanks for scouting.

House Steiner is mainly Germany if it was run by the richest families in the universe. (You know what I wanted to say.) Want to be an officer? Don't have skills? That's okay, buy your rank! Don't have money? Even the poor are considered richer than the average populaces of other factions.

House Rassalhague? To be frank they are part Steiner, part Kurita, and became Space Vikings as a 'house' to be wiped out by the Clans. Looking at that map though, things aren't playing out quite the way Battletech writers intended it. Good news is they get absorbed by Clan Ghost Bear.

In lore they are far more complex. There is some bias where Steiners are usually depicted as the good guys, but in truth there are good and evil characters in all the factions. Good deeds and corrupted misconduct are abound in them all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users