#21 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 15 February 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Based on what science? I have personally experienced today's advanced gyros and if they projected 1000 years into the future I am sure they would be better.

Physics is physics, man. The fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics are sound. These constants don't change...

http://physics.info/

They're constants.

The four fundamental forces, electromagnetic, gravitational, strong and weak... the standard model... all are what we have now. The standard model might evolve, string theory might become a reality, but inertia and momentum will always be as such.

Battletech uses gyroscopes. There's no changing this. This is Battletech. They do not use inertial dampeners. They are not modifying the higgs field. There is nothing magical about them. Gyroscopes have their limits. Impart enough force and you can overcome them--if only for a second or two, as that's all it takes when gravity is sufficient to take over.

#22 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 February 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Knockdowns are fine. Stuns are fine. When I got paralyzed or ensnared in spider webs in AD&D, I learned to deal with it.

Then the DM brings up the Rust Monster...
Posted Image

#23 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

The 'decelerate-wobble-go' sound like 1-3 seconds depending on Mech and skill unlocks. For a light it is a death sentence since 2 seconds stun lock was here for the leg loss and was considered awful. Like really awful. And you could shoot back in that stunlock. In yours you are deprived even of that for a minor reason. So definitely no. Let it be a knockdown and whatever animation it takes to get up. Much more playable and plausible.

#24 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 February 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

Physics is physics, man. The fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics are sound. These constants don't change...

http://physics.info/

They're constants.

The four fundamental forces, electromagnetic, gravitational, strong and weak... the standard model... all are what we have now. The standard model might evolve, string theory might become a reality, but inertia and momentum will always be as such.

Battletech uses gyroscopes. There's no changing this. This is Battletech. They do not use inertial dampeners. They are not modifying the higgs field. There is nothing magical about them. Gyroscopes have their limits. Impart enough force and you can overcome them--if only for a second or two, as that's all it takes when gravity is sufficient to take over.

Great, you threw around some freshman physics terms. Now use them to prove what force is required to knockdown a mech and we will use modern stabilization technology to show how they stay upright.

You talk of theory, I talk of theory and practice.

#25 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 15 February 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Great, you threw around some freshman physics terms. Now use them to prove what force is required to knockdown a mech and we will use modern stabilization technology to show how they stay upright.

You talk of theory, I talk of theory and practice.

I don't have to. It is so. You want to disprove it, go right ahead. Isaac is watching.

#26 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 15 February 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

The 'decelerate-wobble-go' sound like 1-3 seconds depending on Mech and skill unlocks. For a light it is a death sentence since 2 seconds stun lock was here for the leg loss and was considered awful. Like really awful. And you could shoot back in that stunlock. In yours you are deprived even of that for a minor reason. So definitely no. Let it be a knockdown and whatever animation it takes to get up. Much more playable and plausible.

No, you would still be able to fire. You just wouldn't get the benefit of convergence.

The knockdown deprived you the ability to fire while you were "getting up" as implausible as it is.

Edited by Ted Wayz, 15 February 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#27 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

I like the idea for a single player game perhaps, but not for an online arena shooter. In the end it could actually encourage more face-hugging, and loads of griefing besides.

#28 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 February 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

I don't have to. It is so. You want to disprove it, go right ahead. Isaac is watching.

Nice try.

Done my math in previous posts. I am guessing you can't. Sir Isaac is tossing in his grave.

#29 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 15 February 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

Then the DM brings up the Rust Monster...
Posted Image

My ebony sword laughs in your general direction! :)

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 15 February 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

And the animations of mechs rolling around and getting up were the most immersion breaking thing ever.

And it is why we do not spawn together. It was great having 12 mechs spawn together and then have half hit the ground when they collided trying to leave the spawn.

Stuns are plausible and can be explained by science. Knockdowns can't.

They will not be immersion breaking. We have been reading about mechs getting up since the BT novels. And teaching people to respect the space around each other will be a plus. Maybe I can finally back off without idiots blocking my retreat route time and again.

Also, your science and future-tech can't explain why cannons and machine guns in the 31st century BT universe have such abysmal range. A game is a game.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 February 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#31 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostSkaerKrow, on 15 February 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

...online arena shooter....

<Looks at his Battletech and Aerotech box sets, technical readouts and House books, curls up into a ball and cries>

#32 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 15 February 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Nice try.

Done my math in previous posts. I am guessing you can't. Sir Isaac is tossing in his grave.

Now you are trolling. You feel so strongly about this. Do something about it. Quit trying to change what these battlemechs are.

Besides, I have more important stuff to do with my time, like work on my science fiction novels. Have a nice day.

#33 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostLugh, on 15 February 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

It WAS in the game until Paul got griefed in a match by KONG where they killed his whole team and spent the rest of the match being knocked over repeatedly by them.

It was gone the next patch.

That wasn't KONG, it was WoL. And yes, doing that sorta thing to a dev is the #1 way to get rid of something, which I fully expect to see with flamers shortly...

Honestly, we don't need to knockdown targets. Even causing 'Mechs to zero-speed and take appropriate damage from charging would do. But the "cutscene" knockdowns were derpy beyond belief. Seriously, was falling over looking that dumb from first-person?

#34 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

Was gonna make a joke about mechs using a hidden third leg of varying sizes to get up off the ground, but I just gotta add something.

From what I can gather from reading the gyros article on sarna, it's possible that the gyro system might have a small delay when trying to determine whether the movement of the mech is intentional by the pilot or is getting pounded by an AC20 round. Let's say if the gyro system can't recognize the correct movement to adjust fast enough, then the mech will possibly tumble over.

But all this is kind of moot cause RL physics has nothing to do with MechWarrior magic.

#35 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 February 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

They will not be immersion breaking. We have been reading about mechs getting up since the BT novels. And teaching people to respect the space around each other will be a plus.

Also, your science and future-tech can't explain why cannons and machine guns in the 31st century BT universe have such abysmal range. A game is a game.

I didn't speak in hypotheticals, having lived through the knockdown era the animations of mechs getting up were laughable.

And some mechs are not designed to get up, period. People are bringing up Newtonian physics for knockdowns and then failing to apply it to getting up.

And it is a game. As mentioned in previous posts when I first started playing TT it was agreed that knockdowns were stupid so we took them out. We still had enjoyable games believe it or not. And we kept Death from Above. But it was a last ditch move from which there was no recovery. See what I did there.

#36 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

they at least have the jenner animation for it
very end of video almost

Edited by 1Grimbane, 15 February 2016 - 10:42 AM.

#37 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 February 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

Now you are trolling. You feel so strongly about this. Do something about it. Quit trying to change what these battlemechs are.

Besides, I have more important stuff to do with my time, like work on my science fiction novels. Have a nice day.

Again I do not play the game you are trying to play. I am convinced you are a critic. That is you are someone that can only criticize and does not bring any true value to the table.

And "what Battlemechs are"? Do tell.

And how is that novel coming along? Been two years? Hmmm. A little protagonist? A little antagonist?

#38 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

DFA!

#39 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

View Post1Grimbane, on 15 February 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

very end of video almost

This game was so much better when stuff took forever to kill.

#40 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

View Post1Grimbane, on 15 February 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

very end of video almost

Great video.

Now think of what it took for that Jenner to get up and tell me why it couldn't keep them from going down? And the Jenner feet, lol. How does it bounce off it's knees to a standing position? Again, getting up would be impossible as it can't push and it can't right.

Stuns however are plausible and represent a mech stabilizing itself.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users