24 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

We got to see them in the NGNG stream today, any first impressions?

I'm afraid they'll be a bit *too* flat and open. I like that there are hills for hill-humpers and vertical walls for side-peekers, but I feel like the gameplay will be rather stale and Press-W-to-win. Will be interesting once they're in the game so we can actually try them and see how they pan out.

I also decided to recreate one of them in CrySDK to play around with it. Who knows, might be able to mock up some feedback for PGI. This is the first time the community will really get to have a hand in map development, so I'm excited for the possibilities.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anybody have ideas on what sort of aesthetics should be applied to a map like this?

Edited by Tarogato, 15 February 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#2 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

heck lets let the blank ones go live for a bit in solo.. not sure about anyone else but i think it'd be fun playing on these for the time being till PGI gets what ever test reports they are after. reminds me of old Doom comp maps

Edited by 1Grimbane, 15 February 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

With Polar maps started to go in the right direction (battlefields) and then this...
Don't we have enough arenas? Posted Image

#4 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

i will say as i've said in the past hpg manifold is our only true arena map so to speak, polar is awesome in it's size however i'd like some truly large symmetrical maps for a massive arena feel. it would be different maybe better suited for comp play but for us solo players that only dabble in CW i'd like to see some comp oriented maps thrown the solo queue way... not sure how that would be received but i think it would be fun

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:54 PM

Let 'em go live for private matches only. They're unfinished, and therefore immersion-breaking, but they do offer some interesting scenarios. So let people drop on them if they want to, but otherwise keep them out of the normal rotation.

#6 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

They look good. Some with different levels and paths.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 February 2016 - 12:16 AM.

#7 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 15 February 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

Let 'em go live for private matches only. They're unfinished, and therefore immersion-breaking, but they do offer some interesting scenarios. So let people drop on them if they want to, but otherwise keep them out of the normal rotation.

What immersion? Mechs feel like they're gliding on air with only a slight bounce from their invisible antigravity propulsion systems pushing them along, and a slight tilt when they turn. There is literally no feeling of impact if you slam into a wall at 150kph. To say nothing of two mechs running into each other head-on at those speeds doing little more than odd warping, glitching and general bad netcode issues rather than massive damage and an instant knockdown for both of them. And who can forget the miniscule impacts of massive weapons like AC20s? I suppose this is another topic entirely, but immersion is probably the least of this game's issues at this point. By which I mean this game has so little immersion it can't even be considered an issue at this point, because there is no way to restore it in the first place.

Also they're already going to be made available only for private matches of very specific player counts.

#8 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:40 AM

I cant wait to try these out.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:00 AM

Is that a 4v4 map? I hope it's a 1v1 map.

My main concern is that there's not enough cover and different paths. This is the major objection I have with most MWO maps. Huge open area, 4-5 buildings in the middle.

Posted Image

Not really a lot of alternatives for how to attack the enemy, which is usually the problem with MWO maps. It leads to predictable, repetitive gameplay. There aren't really any ways to surprise the enemy, at all, unless they forget to watch one of their flanks completely.

If it's a 1v1 or 2v2 map, I guess it's slightly better, but still looks fairly predictable. No surprises, no stealth, nothing. Just "lets brawl bro".

Posted Image

You could still get some sniping going, along the center x- and y-axis firing lanes. Also, buildings could provide opportunities for sniping, if they had both elevation and some degree of cover.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 16 February 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:11 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 16 February 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

My main concern is that there's not enough cover and different paths. This is the major objection I have with most MWO maps. Huge open area, 4-5 buildings in the middle.

Posted Image

Not really a lot of alternatives for how to attack the enemy, which is usually the problem with MWO maps. It leads to predictable, repetitive gameplay. There aren't really any ways to surprise the enemy, at all, unless they forget to watch one of their flanks completely.

If it's a 1v1 or 2v2 map, I guess it's slightly better, but still looks fairly predictable. No surprises, no stealth, nothing. Just "lets brawl bro".

Nope, that's one of the 4v4 maps.

Posted Image

The other one is a larger version of the Hazen Arena from MW2 but with annoying holes in the platforms that will probably need to be removed.

#11 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostWolfways, on 15 February 2016 - 10:44 PM, said:

With Polar maps started to go in the right direction (battlefields) and then this...
Don't we have enough arenas? Posted Image

This. MWO is not a MOBA, nor should it be.

Edited by Red Shrike, 16 February 2016 - 04:46 AM.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 16 February 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

You could still get some sniping going, along the center x- and y-axis firing lanes. Also, buildings could provide opportunities for sniping, if they had both elevation and some degree of cover.

I already started doing mock ups. My beef with most maps is they don't allow sufficient area around the perimeter for groups to flank or set up from unsuspecting angles. You get funneled into the enemy the same way every match. So with that problem in mind, I've come up with this so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

4 VS 4 B is something I like, at a glance.

It has the second story which can encourage HoverJets™

It also looks like an Arena.

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

4v4 B is the best one.

It almost reminded me of the MW2 Jade Falcon TOPs (Trial of Position).

I could not give a damn about the others.

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

I thought I'd play around with the 1v1 size map. I felt it was too small, so I added a perimeter, and I added a shallow ravine that separates its from the inner section. Here's a before and after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:33 AM

View PostTarogato, on 16 February 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

I already started doing mock ups. My beef with most maps is they don't allow sufficient area around the perimeter for groups to flank or set up from unsuspecting angles. You get funneled into the enemy the same way every match. So with that problem in mind, I've come up with this so far:

That's kind of the same thing that I was going for, except slightly more open. The good news, I suppose, is that it would make LRMs more viable than in my version.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

i kinda want to play them. no premium time till kodiak though. events comming up and a day of premium time is one of the prizes so it will have to wait a couple days.

#18 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:55 AM

Following some discussion on Reddit, I've been playing with 4v4a a little bit more. Here's a few new angles of my update:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

From the video that was posted last week they all looked like they were pulled from Mario Cart's battle mode.

They already have some great small team arena maps that actually fit the game - original Forest Colony, Frozen City, and Caustic Valley. All just about perfect maps for 8v8 or smaller.

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:04 AM

One of em totally looked and felt like an old Mario Cart map. We ran around in the trial Jenners expecting to see banana peals and mushrooms. Alas.

Joking aside, the maps look promising. The odd one out being the one with the very slight rise in the middle (columns around the perimeter). Not sure what sort of game play value that has.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users