Thoughts On This Alpine Peeks Modification?

Gameplay Maps

32 replies to this topic

#1 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Well,
I'll be honest. I hate the stupid hill in Alpine. You might as well draw an out of bounds area around that for skirmish or assault and call it a day. You spend 2 minutes to needlessly walk the distance. That got me thinking. Why don't we just take out the hill all together, and re-organize the map?
The lower Alpine area is great actually. It has a bunch of hills and valleys. Not so crazy that you can't get up them, but not so shallow that you can't lose a lock if someone is targeting you.

I enjoy the openness, so expect to bring AMS if a light has you lit up or narc'd to fend off LRM showers.

So here we go.

As per PGI in the Jan. Road Map:

As Polar Highlands is a new map and not a redesign of Alpine Peaks, Alpine Peaks will remain in rotation in its current form for now. However, we’re going to continue looking at simpler ways of improving Alpine, such as through the adjustment of spawn locations.

The idea is to make simple changes to Alpine. Changing spawn locations, cap points, and boundaries is probably the simplest. Minor changes to geometry will probably be fine with PGI.

So, taking simplicity in mind, I quickly altered Alpine Peeks' boundaries and spawn locations to take advantage of the openness found in the lower part of the map.

Thoughts?

Posted Image

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 19 February 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#2 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

I dislike the hill as well, but areas such as the base in the northeast and the radio tower hill in the northwest are great locations. The map just need a full overhaul honestly. Something with hills/peaks, lots of snow, evergreens, the bases like we have, etc.

A really neat location that doesn't get used is the complexin the southern area.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 19 February 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 19 February 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

I dislike the hill as well, but areas such as the base in the northeast and the radio tower hill in the northwest are great locations. The map just need a full overhaul honestly. Something with hills/peaks, lots of snow, evergreens, the bases like we have, etc.

A really neat location that doesn't get used is the base in the southern area.

Yeah. I don't think it would be too much work to take the radio tower geo and place it some where in the lower part. I wish more battles happened in the bases, so without going too crazy maybe they can add on to the ones that already exist in the lower part.

But I really find the lower section of the battles more interesting. Mechs are always much more spread out and have room to move around. You rarely get that sort of freedom on the Hill.

#4 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

I would drop the hill to make it much smaller (similar size to the hills around it) and change the tilt of the map so its level and be done with it.

#5 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 19 February 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

This would be wonderful and at the same time they could (as others have said before) take the top half and turn it into a Community Warfare map It already has the bottlenecks just modify candy mountain and place a wall/gate/structures up there.

#6 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:14 AM

I second the motion. All in favor......

edit: it was a dumb idea from me.

Edited by Dale Grible, 20 February 2016 - 05:18 AM.

#7 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:34 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 19 February 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

This would be wonderful and at the same time they could (as others have said before) take the top half and turn it into a Community Warfare map It already has the bottlenecks just modify candy mountain and place a wall/gate/structures up there.

I always tought the *hill area* or just the very center of the map should be a massive mountain area, with the only passage being a laberynth of tunnels inside a massive glaciar.

Mechs can't walk over unless they sport massive JJ use due the glaciars walls and passages (Chronicles of riddick frozen planet like) so either you go inside for a blind in your face brawl or you move to the southern area for normal engagement as moon unit Beta suggest.

#8 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:42 AM

Looks very interesting.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:51 AM

Thoughts On This Alpine Peeks Modification?

Posted Image

#10 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:02 AM

Just flatten the center hill a bit and that's it. I think it's ridiculous that pgi wanted to remove the map when it isn't the same as Polar.
Frozen city/night on the other hand...
One you can see, the other you can't. They are exactly the same! Just remove the "must play the whole match in thermal" version.

#11 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

i wouldn't mind changes to this map - i can only stomach playing Alpine on conquest

i work up my map vote to x8 or more and save it specifically to ensure i can vote against this map if it looks like it's gonna get voted in

Edited by JagdFlanker, 20 February 2016 - 06:11 AM.

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

Well your cap points make conquest incredibly worse. There's direct sightline and range between 2 of them, an nothing in the form of any cover to make any sort of move between them.

The only thing this long rectangle will accomplish is faster matches than Frozen City, which are already boring as hell and played out to death.

#13 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

I would not be opposed to PGI doing several alternate variations of the larger maps to force gameplay to different areas. Even if the did as you suggest and changed the borders for the map/game mode seems like very minimal work and would add even greater variety. Good suggestion OP

#14 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

I think they should reposition cap points in assault to encourage other likely battle areas. The wheel in polar is great, and moving those on Alpine to more of a wheel would be cool. Same with Terra firma, possibly forest colony. HPG and Canyon are to symmetric to really do to much.

#15 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:23 AM

Part of the problem with all maps is the players

For some reason they want to run right half the time the other half of the time they run right for the center

Then they complain about how bad the maps are

I include myself in the complaints (mostly about the bog map)

I noticed on the new maps PGI is working on they have the same old same
Maps designed to funnel you to the center

But if they departed from that formula people would cry so I don’t know what the solution is

#16 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 20 February 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

Part of the problem with all maps is the players

For some reason they want to run right half the time the other half of the time they run right for the center

Then they complain about how bad the maps are

I include myself in the complaints (mostly about the bog map)

I noticed on the new maps PGI is working on they have the same old same
Maps designed to funnel you to the center

But if they departed from that formula people would cry so I don’t know what the solution is

if you put the spawn points across from each other on the map then people will naturally take the shortest route to first contact. if the map has a natural elevated center, people will nascar around it naturally. i don't mind that actually - they means your team is all on the same implied page and are often more likely to stick together

the problem is the maps have these specific spawn points so the implied plan is the same every match. if they offset the spawn points then you could make a 'new center' and get more variation on the same map

for example, keep the blue spawn the same, but off-set the bases in Assault. here we would likely have 2 brand new battle areas on an old map because the center of the map is implied in a new area

Posted Image

#17 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

To keep it simple, just make the top of candy mountain an out of bounds area.

Or, change candy mountain cliffs, and add another of those cliffs in H8-G9, turning candy mountain into candy plateau. The idea being that only lights and mediums with lots of jj's can reach the top.

Edit2: (i wrote the post from the phone, image added now that i'm back at home)

Posted Image

And move the conquest cap points to the original locations (G7, G11, K12, L5, J5 if i remember correctly).

Edit: I didn't write about the OP's idea Posted Image. I like what you did there, perhaps as an alternate version of the map? "Alpine Plains"?

Edited by patataman, 20 February 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#18 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

They did this already and called it polar highlands and you have to walk more than 2 minutes for combat.

#19 Deathswarrior

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

Tunnels,tunnels everywhere,almost like a cave system through the mountain......

#20 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

Well,
I'll be honest. I hate the stupid hill in Alpine. You might as well draw an out of bounds area around that for skirmish or assault and call it a day. You spend 2 minutes to needlessly walk the distance. That got me thinking. Why don't we just take out the hill all together, and re-organize the map?
The lower Alpine area is great actually. It has a bunch of hills and valleys. Not so crazy that you can't get up them, but not so shallow that you can't lose a lock if someone is targeting you.

I enjoy the openness, so expect to bring AMS if a light has you lit up or narc'd to fend off LRM showers.

So here we go.

As per PGI in the Jan. Road Map:

The idea is to make simple changes to Alpine. Changing spawn locations, cap points, and boundaries is probably the simplest. Minor changes to geometry will probably be fine with PGI.

So, taking simplicity in mind, I quickly altered Alpine Peeks' boundaries and spawn locations to take advantage of the openness found in the lower part of the map.

Thoughts?

Posted Image

The team on the right seem to have an advantage because they're closer. Idk, I like it somewhat but I'd like to know if Pgi would just modify candy mountain. Make it smaller, more exposed, make it a valley, etc.

Would it be too much to make the mountain a volcano with a geothermal plant on top? Make the top really hot so you're trading view and cover for extra heat. Basically, make the mountain less advantageous.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users