#41 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

View PostSitting Lyra, on 07 December 2011 - 10:36 PM, said:

I believe FASA did not step on Gundam because Bandai had a repulation of having one of (still standing) nasty legal department for a toy/entertainment group.

What FASA did do was take some of the names from Sunraise (owned by Bandai) other series just for the heck of it (grey death legion anyone?)

The folks that did Macross actually gave the okay to FASA to used their designs.... and of course, Harmony-gold didn't like that at all.

This ^^^^

#42 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

I wouldnt mind if the game took some inspiration from the 8th ms team.... minus the apsalus series of mobile armor mind you.

I really liked that "war" feeling in that series and how it was portrait to the viewer... there wasnt one ultimate flagship mech that owned everyone else by default and it was even shown that parts on the MS would go bad due to faulty parts and stuff like that and that field refits had to be made (GM head, and the scrap parts based EZ 8)

But i doubt that in a match based game you could get that feeling right...

#43 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

I am a old school battletech gamer, and to me the 'unseen' were the core of the game for 3025. Anything for that time period is a must. The information here is awesome though, as I never knew the actual names of the other anime series besides Macross... I was always curious where the Griffion, Shadowhawk, Wolverine, ect came from. Heck, my best friend had a Scorpion model in the early 80s and it allways made me wonder what series it really was from... imagin my surprise when I saw it in battletech! PS: It was a awesome mech to boot!

But for Gundam and actual mech designs? None from what I can tell, but I was never that huge of a Gundam fan either.

Here is hoping that they actually have the rights to use the images!

#44 shihku7

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostHaeso, on 07 December 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

One thing I'd just like to point out to those who seem to think BattleMechs were slow or ponderous or anything of that nature: Read ANY of the books. They're actually quite agile. None of the video games has had an input device capable of translating that though, so 90 degree locked arms that seem welded onto the torso and hands that do nothing were what we've seen.

But in the books - you could shoulder roll, jump, fist fight, crawl, 'Mechs were indeed very agile, if they weren't they'd be damn near useless. Why make a Bipedal machine if it's just a large tank, so it can woefully inefficient and present an easier to hit target with less armor comparative to surface area?

Wow since I've never read any of the books, I've assumed the Mechs in this universe were really slow and clumsy and with locked arms.

It would be great if we could move the arms more precisely. Maybe move an arm out in front and use it to block incoming attacks and so on.

#45 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Don't necro threads, dude. Bad form and what not.

#46 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

More like early days of Armored core:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Say whaaaaat

#47 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

hi guys is this transformers

hi guys is this transformers

#48 Larth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Did Gundam, the original Gundam, influence Battletech? Yes. That is blatantly obvious when people keep throwing about Dougram, which was made by the same guy who made Gundam and is heavily influenced by Gundam. Perhaps unlike Macross, there aren't any direct copies of the mecha, but the overall basis of Gundam is there. Now the later Gundams, not so much, they started getting a little over the top. The Gundams in Gundam Wing are about as similar to Battletech mecha as apples are to green beans. They are both classified as 'fruit' or vegetable matter, but that's about where it stops. The early mangas/animes definitely influenced BT one way or another.

#49 Infrasound

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

dammit i want my warhammer!!

#50 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

maybe mobile suit gundam had some but prolly not gundam wing, and yeah robotech had A LOT, most of the destroids in robotech have some heavily influenced version here i.e jagermech =raider-x hunchback =spartan warhammer=tomahawk ans even the madcat looks like a zentradi officers battle pod :edit, actually now that i went and looked em up the marauder was the one that was straight up a battle pod

Edited by Stygian Steel, 18 March 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#51 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

When battletech first came out it was produced by a company know as FASA. FASA had a low budget so it used several Robotech mechs that were copywriter in Japan by a company called Harmany Gold These mechs are dubbed the Unseen since Harmany Gold won its court case in early 1990.

That's why early games such as MechCommander and the early MechWarrior took place in 3050 so there would be no issues.

Gundam really comes as a off shoot of the 1980 Robotech you can see several similarities between the 2 robots that change into fighters close combat weapons space battles that sort of thing.

Really Gundam is more of a monster of its own with the Mobile Suit Gundam wing. The story line is just picture perfect goodness to the very end. Very hard to find in the US use to be able to get it at Best Buy now you have to search online all over try not to get ripped off.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 18 March 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#52 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 18 March 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

When battletech first came out it was produced by a company know as FASA. FASA had a low budget so it used several Robotech mechs that were copywriter in Japan by a company called Harmany Gold These mechs are dubbed the Unseen since Harmany Gold won its court case in early 1990.

That's why early games such as MechCommander and the early MechWarrior took place in 3050 so there would be no issues.

No. No! Nonononono!

Just no. This misinformation is still floating around out there, but it is nevertheless misinformation and wrong.

Harmony Gold never created Macross or anything related to it. Hell, all Harmony Gold did was take a bunch of Japanese anime series by Studio Nue (Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada) and hack it up then put it back together as Robotech for the western market. Harmony Gold licensed these properties from Tatsunoko, who did not in fact have the right to sell as wide a license as HG believed it was buying (and Tatsunoko believed they could sell). This was a year _after_ FASA had already licensed the now infamous Unseen designs from another intermediary who worked on behalf of Studio Nue, Twentieth Century Imports.

Time passes, eventually there's the whole big mess with FASA suing Playmates for copying FASA designs for their Exosquad toyline after FASA had first gone to Playmates with a proposal for Battletech toys, some of the Playmate designs are stunningly close to FASA designs like the Mad Cat/Timberwolf, for example. Playmates was affiliated with Harmony Gold, who then sued FASA for using Macross designs.

HG _never_ won a court case about the unseen designs. Never. FASA never lost a court case concerning them, and in fact the case against Playmates was ruled in favor of FASA, but due to the mess that is legal battles between corporations they still had to pay their legal costs themselves, which was very expensive for such a small company. FASA panics at the thought of more expensive legal wrangling with HG, settles out of court and then removes _every_ mech not designed in-house, even those HG had no claim on, just to be sure nothing like this mess ever happens again.

Later on it's decided in Japanese courts that Tatsunoko did not in fact have the right to sell HG the license they did and that FASA was in fact in the right as far as their rights to use the unseen were concerned, but by now it's too late anyway and noone wants anything to do with the whole mess, not surprisingly.

See the following thread for a better explanation of it all, http://mwomercs.com/...362#entry897362, but the long and short of it is that legal battles are expensive and will screw you over if you don't have deep pockets.

#53 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Macross was, and it makes me sad we'll never see the mechs Battletech borrowed, in this game.

#54 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostBattleMasterAtlas45, on 06 December 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

was Battletech influenced by Gundam?
Just as a matter of time Gundam was first released on April 7th 1979 by Sunrise Studios
And I believe Battletech was released by FASA Corporation in 1984.
Just want opinions

The orignial mech for the 1984 game battledroids (renamed Battletech for the second edition.) had mechs based on mecha found in the Japanese anime series' Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Fang of the Sun Dougram and Crusher Joe.

References: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/BattleTech and http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Edited by Mao of DC, 20 March 2013 - 04:33 AM.

#55 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostHayden, on 07 December 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

I'd say Macross was a much bigger influence, especially RE the imagery. Gundam's depiction of Giant Robots is very different, in that they are highly mobile, even acrobatic, and pretty much defy physics.

I'm going to assume that sleep deprivation has addled my senses. Either that or that was just bad grammar. Or both.

You did not seriously just compare Macross mecha to Gundam mecha and say that the latter were the ones that were highly mobile, even acrobatic, and pretty much (physics defying), did you?

... I can't find a video of the scene I want. IIRC it had Rick Hunter(Hikaru)'s Veritech ascending in a sharp curve while transforming and spinning like a gyroscope while dodging about a kajillion missiles.

Nothing that ridiculous EVER happened in Gu-

... okay, not in the ORIGINAL Gundam.

:).

#56 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

One of my Armored Core mechs. All AC mechs are complete custom built from modular parts, so it has no name. I use Gundam as my color inspiration. Bandai Namco are the guys handling the AC distribution now.

Posted Image

#57 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 07 December 2011 - 12:07 AM, said:

Pretty much what Hayden said. Macross was the big influence for Battletech. Decisions which still have repercussions to this day. There are other anime which have effected Battletech in terms of the Mechs. I'm sure stuff like Transformers and other Mecha shows in the US had a big effect, in that people saw a market for their product. Design wise, I don't know if any of the mechs has a direct influence from Gundam.

Speaking of Transformers, they ripped off the Veritech / Phoenix Hawk as well.http://www.seibertro..._jetfire074.jpg

#58 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostHolmes, on 08 December 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

....Anime robots are "stupid." What the hell? Where do you think your precious game even came from (inspiration design wise.)

Posted Image

#59 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 20 March 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

What the,,, I mean... Ahem. Well, there's certainly nothing, ah... phallic about _that_ design. Nope.

#60 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

What we need is some super wealthy fan to buy harmony gold, then grant the rights to pgi or catalyst or whatever.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users