Was Gundam an Influence on Battletech??

64 replies to this topic

#61 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 20 March 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

What the,,, I mean... Ahem. Well, there's certainly nothing, ah... phallic about _that_ design. Nope.

I like to post that one each time someone claims that anime mechs are not silly. They are.
Its either something strange, like that gigantic knife-*****, or wings, or just a disturbing feminine look.
I would not be surprised if the next thing up would be mechs with pastel hair of some kind.

#62 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 20 March 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

I like to post that one each time someone claims that anime mechs are not silly. They are.
Its either something strange, like that gigantic knife-*****, or wings, or just a disturbing feminine look.
I would not be surprised if the next thing up would be mechs with pastel hair of some kind.

Well, I do feel it's unfair to say _all_ anime designs are silly. After all, the original BT mechs which did set the tone for the game were Anime designs of the 80's (Warhammer, Archer, Rifleman, Thunderbolt, Crusader, Marauder, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk, Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Ostscout, Ostsol, Ostroc and so on) and I don't really feel they are silly, or at least no more silly than giant robots in general. However, you are absolutely right that _some_ anime designs go right over the top with a loud WHEEEEEEEEEEE! and a silly grin.

#63 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostHaeso, on 07 December 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

One thing I'd just like to point out to those who seem to think BattleMechs were slow or ponderous or anything of that nature: Read ANY of the books. They're actually quite agile. None of the video games has had an input device capable of translating that though, so 90 degree locked arms that seem welded onto the torso and hands that do nothing were what we've seen.

But in the books - you could shoulder roll, jump, fist fight, crawl, 'Mechs were indeed very agile, if they weren't they'd be damn near useless. Why make a Bipedal machine if it's just a large tank, so it can woefully inefficient and present an easier to hit target with less armor comparative to surface area?

Because it's cool.

We're already at the point where autonomous drones are plausible; in 1000 years, it beggars belief to imagine they wouldn't far surpass humans. For that matter, if we're talking about real stand up knock down engagements, our ability to blow things up progresses far more quickly than our ability to prevent things being blows up. If human kind makes it to 3025, more than likely all warfare will be decided by "aim gun at planet; war is over."

#64 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostHayden, on 07 December 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

I'd say Macross was a much bigger influence, especially RE the imagery. Gundam's depiction of Giant Robots is very different, in that they are highly mobile, even acrobatic, and pretty much defy physics. Not to say that Battletech/MW is really accurate either in that regard, but in comparison the machines of BT/MW act a lot more like I would expect of a lumbering war machine weighing dozens of tons. While the developers of Battletech may have been aware of Gundam, I doubt it carried much influence.

Just my 2 cents.

I would like to note that FASA had the artwork for the unseen mechs 1 full year at least prior to Macross ever being produced in Japan.

As for influence no. The influence came from the artwork they acquired from Japan in 1982(81). Not from Gundam.

#65 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

I want my mech to be like an "EVA" on Evangeleon. Those were some bad *** robots.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users