Kodiak Is One Angry Bear!

60 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

Damn, the orthos look awesome! I really really really hope that the 3D model would turn up just like that. #pgiplz

If the Warhammer is a bodybuilding contestant, then the Kodiak is a big *** strongman!

#2 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

This thing is going to CRAP on everything in the game.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 22 February 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

Damn, the orthos look awesome! I really really really hope that the 3D model would turn up just like that. #pgiplz

If the Warhammer is a bodybuilding contestant, then the Kodiak is a big *** strongman!

Don't have your hopes up--Quickdraw.

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 22 February 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

This thing is going to CRAP on everything in the game.

A hell of a lot depends on where the arm hitbox finishes and the ST starts, and the torso twist range.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Depends on how they scale it. If they scale it with the other 100 ton mechs I'd hate to have to run an XL in it from the looks of it. It's like an Atlas, Awesome, and KGC had a baby. Hitboxes are going to be a major factor for this one I think

#6 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Given that just abou every mech has movement quirks now.. this will undoubtedly come unquirked.

It'll be good but not overpowering.

#7 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

Looks to have great shield arms if you can load primary armament in the torsos. With a decent torso twist speed, it should be quite the nice brawler and probably a good match up against the Banshee.

#8 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

Very Atlas Bear

#9 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

imho this wont come with anything near the quirks that atlas has (nor should it), im going with this will be a slightly better version of the pre-quirked atlas we have now. the MASC version may be the exception.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

Funny thing is that this second line Mech fits the Ghost Bear image (in appearance and in spirit) better than the "premier" Executioner.

View PostSummon3r, on 22 February 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

imho this wont come with anything near the quirks that atlas has (nor should it), im going with this will be a slightly better version of the pre-quirked atlas we have now. the MASC version may be the exception.

The only one comparable to the Atlas is the "MASC version".

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 February 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Depends on how they scale it. If they scale it with the other 100 ton mechs I'd hate to have to run an XL in it from the looks of it. It's like an Atlas, Awesome, and KGC had a baby. Hitboxes are going to be a major factor for this one I think

One simply does not put Std engine in a 400 max rating assault mech with Clan XL. The extra speed from XL engine will help survival much better than plodding along with 56 kph with 325 Std engine. Just ask the hundreds of Assault mechs dying everyday thanks to nascaring.

Maaybe Kodiak-2, with its double energy CT can benefit from Std engine, but personally I will still put big XL in it. Especially since Clan XL engine does not prevent the mounting of a class 20 autocannon in the torso, unlike the crappy IS XL with its three slot requirement.

Edited by El Bandito, 22 February 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#12 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

The question is - why the hell wouldn't you put an XL400 in a 100 tonner if it can do 90 kph with MASC?

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 February 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

its a clan xl so even if you loose a st you are fine. i have a feeling with the weight of clan hardware in a battlemech, its going to make running standard quite a viable option.

i have a hunch its gonna be a glass cannon like the iic mechs, regardless of what engine you stick in it.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 February 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#14 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

Im hoping the claws are reduced in size to about 1/5th the current size. Otherwise, I think it is an intimidating looking beast. Very nice looking.

#15 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

Wait, why are you guys talking like you are going to have a choice in the matter of what engine to put in it? It's not a IIC mech, this is pure clan tech and thus subject to the clan build rules of being stuck with whatever engine it comes with, right? Or have I missed something?

#16 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostMole, on 22 February 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

Wait, why are you guys talking like you are going to have a choice in the matter of what engine to put in it? It's not a IIC mech, this is pure clan tech and thus subject to the clan build rules of being stuck with whatever engine it comes with, right? Or have I missed something?

You have. The Kodiak is a totem battlemech and not an omnimech. IS mechs are all battlemechs FYI.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostMole, on 22 February 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

You are confused.

There are two types of construction rule sets for mechs. There are Omnimechs, and Battlemechs.

All Inner Sphere mechs in MWO are Battlemechs. The Clan IIC mechs are also Battlemechs. The Kodiak is a Battlemech.

Things like the Mad Cat, Daishi, etc. are Omnimechs.

#18 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Oh, I see. Damn, that opens up so much more potential for this thing. I might have to reconsider my decision to not purchase one.

#19 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

View PostNauht, on 22 February 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

You have. The Kodiak is a totem battlemech and not an omnimech. IS mechs are all battlemechs FYI.

Which is cool because it means you can take the KDK-SP hero Kodaik and rip that 400XL engine out that is eating up all your tonnage and replace it with a much more tonnage efficient 100XL engine. Then you can use your missile hardpoints to load up on LRM 20 launchers, and don't bother with artemis as that will also eat up precious tonnage that you'll need for ammo. Next up is strip down the armor to 0, but just temporarily. Throw the minimum number of hit sinks on so the game will let you run your mech, and then fill up every single remaining slot with LRM ammo.

Once that's done, you can put the remaining tonnage back into armor focusing mostly on the rear because I can assure you your teammates are going to hate you and want to shoot you in the back ;)

#20 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 February 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

One simply does not put Std engine in a 400 max rating assault mech with Clan XL. The extra speed from XL engine will help survival much better than plodding along with 56 kph with 325 Std engine. Just ask the hundreds of Assault mechs dying everyday thanks to nascaring.

Maaybe Kodiak-2, with its double energy CT can benefit from Std engine, but personally I will still put big XL in it. Especially since Clan XL engine does not prevent the mounting of a class 20 autocannon in the torso, unlike the crappy IS XL with its three slot requirement.

I'll have to disagree here

If you're survival revolves around breaking 60/kph in a 100-ton assault mech because you're "too slow" you're doing it wrong and that's coming from the guy who rarely breaks 55/kph in assault mechs 100 ton or otherwise lol

I'll take my armor, firepower, and heat management over an extra 5 kph ;)

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users