5 replies to this topic

#1 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Well,

It finally happened. About 4-6 months ago I won a Timberwolf (C) in a grab bag event.

My goal from the first months of this game was to MASTER every single InnerSphere mech. When the Clans came out, I didnt put that ideolgy on hold, I continued buying the premium InnerSphere packs. When, and only when I had master all the IS mech, would I move on to Clans.

I took my lumps. We all know how strong the early versions of the Clan mechs were in comparison to our unquirked, un-structure buffed mechs.

I had NO issue with it. I thought it was a fun challenge. I got bootstomped my many, many Timberwolves as I leveled various IS mech chassis.

Then came the 'overquirk'ening'... My very first run in my Dragon 1N, 1450 point damage, 5 kills. Holy crap... what did PGI do. Huggin, machine gun speed SRM4, was INSANE... even my CENT with and LBX10 was cold blooded killer.

Still other mechs to master. Panthers, Wolfhounds, Crabs, Grasshopper, BlackKnights, Mauraders, Warhammers, Zues', etc....

Until last week.

Finally took out the Clan tech. I'm about to spout blasphemy.

IS mechs are better.

And it has all to do with the Internal Structure Quirks. I willing admit more weapon range is nice. More heat is not. any Innersphere pilot knows how easy it is to get inside 'effective' range. That's a non issue.

All I can say about the Timberwolf is that it's lack of internal structure buffs make it... wanting.

It does have strengths, I can affirm that, but give me almost any IS heavy chassis.

I'll report back when I get to Crows, Maddogs, Warhawks, and cheetahs... but as a first off...

I like my IS durability more than the mobility, and firepower, albeit hotter, and omipod flexibility clan mechs offer.

After 200+ IS mechs from basic to Mastered, it's quite a difference.

Thanks for listening.

Enjoi

#2 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

I think all mechs could stand to be a little tougher. Makes for more fun battles IMO.

If you think the TBR doesn't have a lot of structure, try an EBJ or a MDD. As soon are your CT is red you're as good as done.

Edited by W A R K H A N, 23 February 2016 - 04:20 PM.

#3 Slow and Decrepit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 525 posts
  • LocationBelen, the Mosquito Capital of NM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Problem is the game was last balanced for 8v8, not 12v12. That's why the older mechs don't have enough hardpoints, there wasn't as much to shoot, and that's why the armor goes away so fast now, there's more people shootin' ya!

#4 Onimusha shin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

I agree. 12v12 was the problem and now with lasers mostly being up-damaged from TT values, it makes TTK a lot shorter if you deviate from the death ball. Not to mention the laser meta these days.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 23 February 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

All I can say about the Timberwolf is that it's lack of internal structure buffs make it... wanting.

It does have strengths, I can affirm that, but give me almost any IS heavy chassis.

I'll report back when I get to Crows, Maddogs, Warhawks, and cheetahs... but as a first off...

I like my IS durability more than the mobility, and firepower, albeit hotter, and omipod flexibility clan mechs offer.

Sounds like your play style doesn't suit the mech. I am having no issue putting out big numbers with the Timbie, and prefer it over the slower Marauder.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 February 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#6 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

I had a hard time in the Twolf at first. It does real well when mastered because of the extra heat bonuses.

Peek alpha ->Peek alpha ->move

You will need the 3 energy high point and the energy ballistic with jj on the other side. Use the clan range early on to weaken the enemy so that they have to use their structure quirks to get in range. I also like to put 2 uac10 on one side and med lasers on the other and pretend it is a slide shotgun.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users