41 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

Def'n: the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.

People will have you believe that doing one activity in an organization in no way impacts their ability to do other activities. For instance, someone might say developing maps in no way impacts the ability the ability to develop new mechs. Or that developing colors for mechs in no way impacts the ability to make skins for mechs or development of the game. Unfortunately in business which has limited resources (to some degree all business) that is not true.

For each decision there is the opportunity cost for that decision. So yes, the resource that may develop maps may not be the same one that design mechs. And the one that makes colors may not be the one who develops game modes. But by choosing to pay a resource to perform an activity you are in turn making the decision NOT to pay someone else to do something else.

So if you are satisfied with a hot pink being resourced then you should be okay that there is that same amount of resource(s) NOT being applied to skins, or an improved CW, or better balancing.

It is a choice.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Honestly, I think that paint colors like hot pink WOULD be more valuable for player usage than more skins.

In terms of balancing, I would really hope that the people who are in charge of the art department (e.g. paint, skins, etc.) don't actually have to do the balancing themselves. But then again, that might explain why the balancing can seem so incompetent at times...

#3 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

PGI has a lot of hires that can do multiple things - but since there is so much to do, it is difficult to focus on one thing more effectively than other.

#4 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 February 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

PGI has a lot of hires that can do multiple things - but since there is so much to do, it is difficult to focus on one thing more effectively than other.

Or they can commission some forumwarriors (e.g. McGral) for free to do a few things for them...

#5 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

So...you know that these guys dont just sit at their desk with the lights off waiting for Russ to come in and tell them to make a new map or make a new mech. Most of these people have multiple things to do as am Artisit or Modeler i would assume. You dont ONLY pay the guys who had a product go out the door that day, Business' dont work like that. You might be working on a product for 2 years before you see the paycheck from it but that is on the Business to keep their CFO options going and keep the cash flowing until that project gets finished.

Alex doesn't ONLY get paid when a new mech comes out...i dont think. I would imagine he get paid like most of us do either Salary or Hourly wage and when he isnt drawing new mechs im sure he has other duties to complete during the day much like the rest of us at work. Maybe not all, some of us might be so over loaded at our jobs we just do one thing day in and day out because there is a mountain of it. But seeing as how PGI is a small company and most small companies need workers who are self starters and find work to do rather then twiddle their thumbs waiting for some to TELL THEM what to do.

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

Or they can commission some forumwarriors (e.g. McGral) for free to do a few things for them...

Well i assume McGral would be up to the task, but i dont think anyones time is worthless, id ask for some in game compensation if nothing else.

Time is money when it comes down to your intellect if you ask me.

Edited by Revis Volek, 23 February 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 23 February 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

Well i assume McGral would be up to the task, but i dont think anyones time is worthless, id ask for some in game compensation if nothing else.

Time is money when it comes down to your intellect if you ask me.

Mind you, I didn't say that I would want no payment for the volunteers, my point was mostly that there are a number of people who would do it for free because they care so much. Getting $$$ or whatever would just be a cherry on top.

#7 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

Mind you, I didn't say that I would want no payment for the volunteers, my point was mostly that there are a number of people who would do it for free because they care so much. Getting $$$ or whatever would just be a cherry on top.

I have to agree 100%, At THIS POINT id give a few days. Posted Image Just to get what we wanted...finally after so long.

Edited by Revis Volek, 23 February 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#8 PaeuxP22

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

I definitely wouldn't mind chipping in a couple of days if I got to do the balancing. Bloody spider wouldn't know what hit it.

#9 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostPaeuxP22, on 25 February 2016 - 02:07 PM, said:

I definitely wouldn't mind chipping in a couple of days if I got to do the balancing. Bloody spider wouldn't know what hit it.

And this is why people with an emotional investment need to be kept as far away from the code as possible.

#10 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostMead, on 25 February 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

And this is why people with an emotional investment need to be kept as far away from the code as possible.

And that's also why the community should be consulted last in one such as BattleTech or Mechwarrior.

#11 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 February 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

The last time Russ mentioned their actual staff..

It was 20+ doing artwork
6 making and running the actual game.

Their priorities are pretty clear.

Bare minimum required to keep game running...
Maximum effort into pumping out mechs.

Edited by The Atlas Overlord, 25 February 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

So you would nerf one of the worst lights in the game?

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Oye!
Look at this sneaky bugger! Rarely seen in the forum wilds, they can be vicious when cornered!
Posted Image

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 23 February 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

Def'n: the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.

People will have you believe that doing one activity in an organization in no way impacts their ability to do other activities. For instance, someone might say developing maps in no way impacts the ability the ability to develop new mechs. Or that developing colors for mechs in no way impacts the ability to make skins for mechs or development of the game. Unfortunately in business which has limited resources (to some degree all business) that is not true.

For each decision there is the opportunity cost for that decision. So yes, the resource that may develop maps may not be the same one that design mechs. And the one that makes colors may not be the one who develops game modes. But by choosing to pay a resource to perform an activity you are in turn making the decision NOT to pay someone else to do something else.

So if you are satisfied with a hot pink being resourced then you should be okay that there is that same amount of resource(s) NOT being applied to skins, or an improved CW, or better balancing.

It is a choice.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the people in charge of CW development don't work in the art department.
ALthough if they do that would explain a lot...

That's why personal bias has no place in balancing

#15 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostSandpit, on 25 February 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the people in charge of CW development don't work in the art department.
ALthough if they do that would explain a lot...

Again this is a misconception fed to us that would have us believe that they do not have to make choices on resources. Yes the CW development team is not the art team and they do not have overlapping responsibilities. But when it comes budget time you have to assess where your resources are allocated and determine, based upon your future direction, what areas get funded and which ones do not.

So say your whole revenue stream is based upon the release of new mechs. You do not have to develop the idea because the source material is there, all you need is the art and modeling. Since this is your revenue stream these resources will of course be funded.

But given you have already made a choice to fund the art and modeling you now have less money to fund all other activities, and even less after you fund overhead.

So while it easy to see that a $100k tournament will directly impact development it is harder to people to realize that giving resources to make new colors may prevent you from funding mech re-scaling or CW development.

Finite resources.

Edited by Ted Wayz, 25 February 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#16 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 25 February 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

Again this is a misconception fed to us that would have us believe that they do not have to make choices on resources. Yes the CW development team is not the art team and they do not have overlapping responsibilities. But when it comes budget time you have to assess where your resources are allocated and determine, based upon your future direction, what areas get funded and which ones do not.

So say your whole revenue stream is based upon the release of new mechs. You do not have to develop the idea because the source material is there, all you need is the art and modeling. Since this is your revenue stream these resources will of course be funded.

But given you have already made a choice to fund the art and modeling you now have less money to fund all other activities, and even less after you fund overhead.

So while it easy to see that a $100k tournament will directly impact development it is harder to people to realize that giving resources to make new colors may prevent you from funding mech re-scaling or CW development.

Finite resources.

Again, IF your business is so tightly run that you cant afford to run more then half your staff at a week then its time to close up shop.

I guarantee you CW guys dont get the day off when Mech are being made because PGI cant afford it. You have no idea how business' work obviously.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,889 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 23 February 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

It is a choice.

Resources are not always fungible, nor negotiable in the short term. Similarly, returns from the investment of resources do not always scale linearly, and the same amount of money spent for one product may not yield an equal amount of utility if spent on an alternative.

[Redacted]

#18 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 25 February 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

Again, IF your business is so tightly run that you cant afford to run more then half your staff at a week then its time to close up shop.

I guarantee you CW guys dont get the day off when Mech are being made because PGI cant afford it. You have no idea how business' work obviously.

I think your response will be understandable by people who do not run business'. But anyone who actually does is shaking their head.

#19 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

Honestly, I think that paint colors like hot pink WOULD be more valuable for player usage than more skins.

In terms of balancing, I would really hope that the people who are in charge of the art department (e.g. paint, skins, etc.) don't actually have to do the balancing themselves. But then again, that might explain why the balancing can seem so incompetent at times...

Oh come on, at least the art team have talent Posted Image

#20 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 25 February 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

I think your response will be understandable by people who do not run business'. But anyone who actually does is shaking their head.

Actually i run my own Laser Engraving Shop. Have for 12 years now...id say that's pretty much as close as it gets to RUNNING a BUSINESS.

Again, Cash flow options exist mostly from your bank. This is not something new to Business' that you just thought of and any good Business has a CFO to some extent, if he/she cant keep your whole staff at work during your whole work week then things more then likely aren't going as planned.

Edited by Revis Volek, 25 February 2016 - 10:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users