• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:58 AM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 23 February 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

I like to watch my KDR - I feel so lonely in here Posted Image

You are not i do so too. Posted Image

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 24 February 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

On a side note - it is absolutely possible to be a teamplayer AND have a high KDR.

A high KDR doesn't necessarily mean that you play like a douche just to get the kills - some comments in here might give the impression.

Yeah i have that impression too.

After reading through 3 pages i seriously lolz. Those who say KDR doesn't matter are as false as saying overall or average damage or w/l is the thing that matters.

What does a 2.0 KDR represent as an expample:
- you do secure two kills no matter if win or loss on average.
- you don't try to spread damage but make valuable damage! No spray and pray just spot on ct or st, in case of xl or leg damage.

To make the above said things clear. If you "only get a kill" in every loss where you die, that means you have to make up for it on a win. To get those kills you can't hang around and only shoot those who are pretty much dead to beginn with and w8 to farm them - this doesn't happen! For 3 kills you need to position well, need to be an asset of the team, spread damage to not get killed to fast and have the aiming to get the kill before someone else, who sprays more get it. Posted Image

Since KMMD are no tracked stats you can look into it is hard to tell something about the performance anyway. But i can AC an Atlas 300damage in his front and legs and don't kill him. Even if i make the KMMD someone who gets his eye with a round of dual guass is still the better player. And killing quick is less return damage to yourself and or the team and a higher chance to win.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 24 February 2016 - 04:14 AM.

#42 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:15 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 23 February 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

I used to be really stressed over my KDR, keeping it above 2.0. I left shortly before PSR came out, because I bought SCRs, and one of them was @ 0.7, or something terrible. Recently joined and had fun with KGCs and FSHs. In fact, my KDR is now below 2.0, and I don't even care.

KDR, who gives a hoot... only stat that tells that you actually impact games is W/L, if THAT is positive, then the only common denominator in matches propably matters some (Hint: it's you)

I myself use the remaining life I have in mech to try to get opposition to waste shots on an already dead mech while mechs which can make a difference are working to get a win. If I am not dead by the end of match, I propably did not join the fight at all (doesn't happen), I was overlooked over some easier targets or I was being a coward and hid (doesn't happen)

So all you KDR hounds; shame on you for hiding and shutting down... your stat does not mean much

Then there are some who think KDR actually matters, but then again every cause has it's errant knights

Edited by Haakon Magnusson, 24 February 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#43 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:20 AM

View PostSandpit, on 23 February 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

You got 700 damage and 3 kills? Great!
Wait, you lost? Well regardless of how you feel about "carrying", you still lost the battle

You got 250 damage, 0 kills, 3 assists and your team won?

Which was a better performance? The 3 kills or the team win?
That just depends on how you view the game. Either an individual effort or a team effort.

That's easy. It's always better to be the guy that almost carried the whole team to a win, than the guy that participated in a match in which his team mates carried him to a victory.

In the former, you truly did your part for the team - in the latter, your team gave you a freebie win. You simply will win a lot more if you do what's needed to win - for the team, instead of hoping that the team does what's needed to win for you.

I think it's pretty selfish to think that 250 damage with 3 assists was a decisive, good effort that lead your team to win. Of course situationally you may even have been the hero of the match, stopping a base cap or something, or pulling that off with a 1 legged light mech, but purely by the numbers that is not very impressive.

Anyway, aiming for the high damages might be partially a higher tier thing. That is, when your opponents know how to play, they will roll the damage all around their mechs, and you will be dealing more damage killing them. If your target isn't rolling damage, of course you shouldn't start picking off individual components for extra damage, just go for the fastest possible kill. If you get 3-4 solo kills, you can easily consider you carried your part even if you only did average damages total.

#44 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 24 February 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

On a side note - it is absolutely possible to be a teamplayer AND have a high KDR.

A high KDR doesn't necessarily mean that you play like a douche just to get the kills - some comments in here might give the impression.

I agree high KDR does not necessarily reflect poorly, though if you have high KDR and your W/L is in the toilet (below one) then you are most likely a glory hound that is a detriment to team and usually earning award of "most likely to call his own team noob team lol"

#45 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:28 AM

View PostKuritaclan, on 24 February 2016 - 03:58 AM, said:

What does a 2.0 KDR represent as an expample:
- you do secure two kills no matter if win or loss on average.
- you don't try to spread damage but make valuable damage! No spray and pray just spot on ct or st, in case of xl or leg damage.

If you win 50% of the time, get 1 kill per match and die every game that you lose, you will have a 2.0 KDR. With a 50% win rate a person is perfectly average, regardless of their KDR, provided the person has played a sizeable number of games. I'd rather play alongside someone with a .8 KDR and a 60%+ win rate rather than a 2 KDR 50% win rate player. I know the 60%+ win rate player is trying to help the team win rather than protect other personal stats, the 50% win rate player with a 2 KDR is questionable. I doubt many players with a 60%+ win rate have a KDR less than 1. I just pulled out random numbers for the example.

KDR is fairly meaningless. The glorified xp bar is fairly meaningless. If you want to progress set yourself a goal and then raise the bar each time you achieve it.

EDIT: If you really want to break the habit of looking at stats play CW as CW stats don't track. My stats say I've played a dozen or so matches in the last few months; hundreds of CW matches lost to the void.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 24 February 2016 - 04:33 AM.

#46 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 24 February 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

I doubt many players with a 60%+ win rate have a KDR less than 1. I just pulled out random numbers for the example.

During my matches from t3 to t2, my KDR was 0.96 and my W/L 1.12
I don't belive that .12 was luck (It's pretty much also my long time average)

EDIT: Oh, after my mech is busted, I don't try artifically keep it alive, quite the opposite, I use it to draw fire from opponents

Edited by Haakon Magnusson, 24 February 2016 - 04:38 AM.

#47 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:39 AM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 24 February 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

If you win 50% of the time, get 1 kill per match and die every game that you lose, you will have a 2.0 KDR. With a 50% win rate a person is perfectly average, regardless of their KDR, provided the person has played a sizeable number of games. I'd rather play alongside someone with a .8 KDR and a 60%+ win rate rather than a 2 KDR 50% win rate player. I know the 60%+ win rate player is trying to help the team win rather than protect other personal stats, the 50% win rate player with a 2 KDR is questionable. I doubt many players with a 60%+ win rate have a KDR less than 1. I just pulled out random numbers for the example.

Yeah you pulled out random numbers. I claim there is a correlation between KDR and win rate. Or in other words the higher the KDR the higher the win rate. And no. Some dudes who habe a abysmal bad KDR don't win often matches. KDR matters, it is not meaningless. At least a 1.0 KDR says you pretty much go even in kills with how much you die. As 1.0 W/L says you win as oft as you die.

That are numbers you shouldn't fall under them unless you are matched against opponents which are better than you. But than it is a matchmaker problem not your fault.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 24 February 2016 - 04:50 AM.

#48 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:41 AM

Most people with a KDR over 2 hide till late in the game and just farm mechs that are almost dead. If the game is not going their way they run out of bounds or overheat. They are not an asset to their teams.

#49 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:49 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 24 February 2016 - 04:41 AM, said:

If the game is not going their way they run out of bounds or overheat. They are not an asset to their teams.

Actually, have to confess, I am bad in that way when match is going to toilet I don't push the override and just go apeshite... I guess I should do that as well when doing my final stand. I recall override death does not protect your KDR at all anywho.

#50 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:04 AM

Most people with a KDR over 2 hide till late in the game and just farm mechs that are almost dead. If the game is not going their way they run out of bounds or overheat. They are not an asset to their teams.

What a senseless bias. Who hide till late in the game will have a disadvantage 11 to 12 to achieve his goal getting kills in the first place. So to speak who wins more often die less no matter what, because all enemies dead means you don't get killed. The goal for a high KDR isn't hiding it is decimating the enemy so you can't get killed in the first place.

And your usless claims that overheating death and running out of bounds don't count as a kill is the best testimonial, that you do know nothing about protecting KDR. The percentage you may survive in loss szenario by out maneuvering the enemy and ticking down the timer is little to nothing a part of high KDR.

And because of this we are back to my post #42. High KDR indicates a good performance. You can not have a high KDR when your team loss, because you set them every time behind beeing a 11 vs. a 12 man group. And you won't have a high KDR, if you do not spread incoming damage / get cored out ever so often, which equals worse KDR. And you don't kill your enemy with aimed shots on his vital parts, or you get to much returnfire and die, which equals worse KDR.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 24 February 2016 - 05:46 AM.

#51 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:18 AM

MAYBE... just MAYBE... some pilots have the situational match, map and overall awareness, the skill and aim allowing them a positive w/l, a high K/D and mostly good scores while carrying a team, not hiding till the endgame and not suiciding or powering down every bad match.

SKILL HAPPENS.... you know.

#52 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:27 AM

On a loss did you do better than the other eleven? Yes Good on you. No? Shame!

On a win, did you do better than the other eleven? Yes Good on you. No? Shame!

That's how you tell if you are better than everyone else. The fewer, I died like a jackass and blamed my team, games you have, the better you will be.

#53 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 23 February 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

I know it sounds really weird. Is there any way to overcome this?

Yes, and it´s simple: quit fixating on what it one of if not THE most meaningless stat in the game, and concentrate on improving something that means at least something your Win /Lose a ratio or number of assists per match.... Play with the team, not despite it. ;)

#54 Tamwulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 51 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

My KDR is 0.80. I'm proof that skill doesn't really matter for the Tier System.

Does it bug me? Not really. I'm having fun, tweaking my builds, twerking on the battlefield, and playing my big, stompy mechs.

#55 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

A lot of false accusations here from salty players about playing badly just for KDR. Seen very rarely it before PSR and reporting, and don't see it at all now. For all the naysayers, my 1.17 WLR

Posted Image

Its not fantastic, but it is beyond the 1.08 WLR someone is supposed to have if they're good on a 12 man team (1+1/12). In fact, its precisely double that. If you want to criticise this stat, post your own stats.

In fact, those with a higher KDR will know, the easiest way to get a high KDR is to be aggressive and contribute as much damage as you can in the initial contact so that you can roll them and reap those sweet sweet kills. Even in reaping kills, you need to push hard, so you can get first dibs. No point hiding in a pristine mech till your team does the work. Your team is down 1 mech in the initial contact, gets rolled, and they swarm you and you die.

Thanks for a lot of constructive suggestions. It was really helpful to me, and means something. Anyway, as an update, I've made my TBR-Prime into a brawler and tried to plunge its KDR below 2, but no luck so far. At least I'm playing it now. I get nervous each match though, still trying to let it go. No playing after 11pm, no matter what, and no playing after 3 losses in a row. Gym day was terrible due to lack of sleep.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users