54 replies to this topic

#21 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

I suffer from the same problem sometimes. There are some mechs that I won't play because I'm afraid I'll ruin the decent stats I have on them. While other mechs I've played so much and have such mediocre stats that it feels hopeless to try and pull them up so I don't bother.

Actually, I worry more about average damage than I do kills. KDR means nothing because it's tied to your WLR (you get a death for just about every match you lose, so KDR is somewhat dependent on you getting a streak of good or bad teams in your matches or just getting in lucky killsteals) and also group queue can really wreck your KDR by making it insanely high (or low). So i just go by average damage instead, since it remains constant regardless of win or lose so long as I position myself properly and shoot all match. I aim for 350-400 for lights, 400 for mediums, 450 for heavies, and 500 for assaults.

You can see your average damage on your mechs by installing this plugin: http://mwomercs.com/...-stats-sorting/
I've found it a lot less stressful than worrying about KDR. It also gives you kill rate (Kills per match), which is a better measure than KDR if you want to focus on kills.

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostTarogato, on 23 February 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

I suffer from the same problem sometimes. There are some mechs that I won't play because I'm afraid I'll ruin the decent stats I have on them. While other mechs I've played so much and have such mediocre stats that it feels hopeless to try and pull them up so I don't bother.

Actually, I worry more about average damage than I do kills. KDR means nothing because it's tied to your WLR (you get a death for just about every match you lose, so KDR is somewhat dependent on you getting a streak of good or bad teams in your matches or just getting in lucky killsteals) and also group queue can really wreck your KDR by making it insanely high (or low). So i just go by average damage instead, since it remains constant regardless of win or lose so long as I position myself properly and shoot all match. I aim for 350-400 for lights, 400 for mediums, 450 for heavies, and 500 for assaults.

You can see your average damage on your mechs by installing this plugin: http://mwomercs.com/...-stats-sorting/
I've found it a lot less stressful than worrying about KDR. It also gives you kill rate (Kills per match), which is a better measure than KDR if you want to focus on kills.

all you ahve to do to see average damage on a mech is look at your stats and divide damage by number of games...

#23 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

I stress more about Win/Loss than KDR.

Win/Loss is ultimately a statistic of higher importance.

#24 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

I never bothered with KDR, MW: O isn't a KDR hogging game and throwing yourself in a bad situation to give everyone an overall better situation (or winning... such as suicidal defend your capture point when enemy rushed it, preventing cap and allowing your tema to get the cap or kill all their slow pokes and crush them at the end) or playing in a mech that isn't after kills (LRM boats, Scouts, light mechs, etc). I sit at a KDR bellow 1.0 yet my unit always respected me as (or one of) the best mechwarriors in the group... not that it matters as my unit is rather small and not the most meta However to people outside of my unit I'm often a surprise. Mainly because I do not care about kills, or kill stealing [which in MW: O doesn't exist as you get more rewards for getting kill stolen in terms of c-bills and such] and so on and on and on. I play mostly to have fun. The development of my personal skills is only a side effect.

I think the sooner people stop caring about KDR and stuff in MW: O the sooner games start to be more varied and open ended...

#25 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

View PostKBurn85, on 23 February 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

I know it sounds really weird. Is there any way to overcome this?

You know that it is a problem(for you) and you want to get rid of it. Recognising that you have a problem is the first step. You obviously got rid of that problem piloting FS9 and KGC when you stated "had fun with KGCs and FSHs. In fact, my KDR is now below 2.0, and I don't even care.". So you obsess over a value on certain mech, the reason you do it(i really have no idea what im talking about here) is because that value is already high and it's a nice value to have high. Get rid of those mech or tank their kdr and report back and remember that if it made things worse it's because "i really have no idea what im talking about here" ;).

#26 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

View PostKBurn85, on 23 February 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

I know it sounds really weird. Is there any way to overcome this?

You just have to realize how meaningless KDR is. I wrote about this over a year ago:

http://mwomercs.com/...34#entry4069934

#27 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

stats are useless especially in this game OP. also be cool to your girl

#28 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

It's very rare that I even bother looking at my KDR and such. It's pretty much just when some post like this comes along.

To the guy who commented that his KDR is getting worse so he must be getting worse. That's not true at all. KDR doesn't show a damned thing in relation to how much you helped your team. Stopping to cover a faltering assault can negatively impact your KDR while actually helping your team win more than the git who coveted his ratio and played it safe.

KDR means about as much as that MSD sticker on your neighbor kids Honda...

#29 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

I wouldn't even say damage is a big indicator. I run dual gauss and dual AC20 on some of my Jags and get 3 or 4 kills with 300 damage and run a 1.54 win/loss on them. I'll take that over 1k damage, 5 kills and a 1.1 win/loss. The first is a product of helping drive wins efficiently; the second a product of splattering damage and rarely being in the front (LRMs, cough, LRMs).

Win/loss. Your own performance metrics match over match are a great indicator; try to beat your last score. Try to get better, think about what you did that worked well and what worked poorly. What got you out of position and when you were really supporting your team well.

Win/loss indicates how often you help your team win. That's what matters.

#30 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

View PostSandpit, on 23 February 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

all you ahve to do to see average damage on a mech is look at your stats and divide damage by number of games...

... so you really wanna do that for all your mechs to compare them and every time you want to come back and check? Posted Image
Just download the plugin and it does it automatically. And you can sort as well, it's amazing. Posted Image

Example

#31 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

wait, page 2 and no elza gif?
Posted Image

Ok with that out of the way... I try to get at least every mech above 1.0 k/d because... there's not much other thing you can do for the long term.
This shouldn't be a number one priority, though. Sure, you can try to kill steal without caring about the team or match at all but you'll end up chasing disconnects at the start.
So just play the game ;)

I bought a black knight yesterday and my friend and me played in group queue. The very first match got me 4 kills and a loss, and no, not kill stealing, I worked for those. mostly Posted Image . However a loss, and from the 8 matches we played, we only won 2. Kills came in at first and I had a 3.0 K/D. that got down to 1.12 and finally (after some solo matches afterwards) I'm now at 0.92 with a 0.55 W/L rate.
That was the time I thought fox it and went to bed. There are some days where you better do something else. Trying harder won't work at all, you'll only get more risky and this rarely works.

#32 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:27 PM

I like to watch my KDR - I feel so lonely in here :(

#33 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:27 PM

Ah. You are one of those guys, who hide in the corner of the map, if their team starts losing? You should know, that it's impossible to always perform well, cuz it's the most important goal of matchmaker - to even you with other players.

Edited by MrMadguy, 23 February 2016 - 11:51 PM.

#34 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

I try not to look at my KDR as its not so great - its definately in the red. But Im a casual player so thats ok.

I am living proof that the Tier bar is an Exp barm

#35 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:34 PM

View PostTarogato, on 23 February 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

... so you really wanna do that for all your mechs to compare them and every time you want to come back and check? Posted Image
Just download the plugin and it does it automatically. And you can sort as well, it's amazing. Posted Image

Example

it takes me about 5 seconds and a pen lol

#36 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:09 AM

KDR is the most useless stat in the game.

Example? Mine is a lowly 0.55 ! There are two significant reasons for that.
1. I play support builds (LRMs and dakka) that boost the rest of the team. Lots of KMDD, but less direct kills.
2. If a push is required, I take my non-PPFLD mech around the corner first and soak the enemy attention so the "better" players can take free shots at what I flush out.

My W/L is neutral overall (goes up in team play and down in PUG play). In a team game THAT is what counts.

#37 JaidenHaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

Exactly this is the problem of MWO. We don't need a KDR, since there are so many more ways of contributing to a match.

1) Damage done matters more: if you are lucky, you can get 5 or 7 kills with 150 damage. Our you can get 0 kills with 850 damage. But who contributed more to the win? Yes, if you loose with so much damage and 0 kills, something went wrong but in a normal setting, focus fire is the best way to take down targets and when five people focus on one mech, its possible to not get a single kill. In my mind, dealing damage is more important than dealing the last hit.

2) Capping doesn't get you KDR, but in wins matches. I often won Conquest matches where I capped the points as a light. My entire team died, but as the last man standing, I got the win. This isn't shown in my stats. But I rather win with only 50 damage done and 0 kills then lose.

3) Group play is different. When your drop leader says, go in and push hard, you can't stand in the back. If you're first or even second, you will probably die within seconds without getting a kill or even a high damage number. But you're instrumental for the victory and that's what matters.

People like you who only look at numbers can't grasp why you'll lose against a coordinated team that does less damage but beats you in the end.

Learn to look outside of your comfort zone and be a team player in this team game.

#38 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:31 AM

On a side note - it is absolutely possible to be a teamplayer AND have a high KDR.

A high KDR doesn't necessarily mean that you play like a douche just to get the kills - some comments in here might give the impression.

#39 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

View PostSandpit, on 23 February 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

it takes me about 5 seconds and a pen lol

It takes me 5 seconds as well, and that's including the 5 seconds it takes for the page to load. Why you being so silly? Posted Image

#40 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:18 AM

Here is exactly this kind of player. It was Collective. I cored this Arctic Cheater - his CT was red. He ran away somewhere towards 2-line, kissed the wall, shut-down and DCed. Who will compensate me waste of 10 minutes of my life? Why can't PGI just show the position of last DCed 'Mech on the map??? Or even show the position of 'Mech, if it's inactive for long enough period of time? Is this really that hard?
Posted Image

Edited by MrMadguy, 24 February 2016 - 02:20 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users