Dear Last Light Mechs That Run Away

93 replies to this topic

#21 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostNauht, on 24 February 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

If I see a (usually light) mech doing that I'm gonna warn them in chat to do something, anything, then gonna call out their position in chat. Reporting does nothing.

The Light's actions may be a violation of the COC. Report them and let PGI investigate.

Your actions are a violation of the CoC. Team Treason specifically mentions revealing a teammates position as a violation of the CoC.

So your actions as described are actually worse than theirs.

#22 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Sorry I will not mindlessly run to my death, if I am last alive in a light mech, I am not stretching it out, I am trying to by time to find an opportunity where I could single out another maybe more damaged mech get a kill rinse repeat....running for your life doesn't mean your running to draw out the clock....

#23 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

That's why I'll give a warning in chat. It's not for the other guy, it's a sort of CYA clause for me too.

Besides I've been here since CB and throughout the years have seen and done some pretty **** things myself. The only thing that's been done of significance was the banhammer for cheating and that was only recently.

Everything else, even hardcore purposeful, TKs done wth malice, I've not seen any bans or even suspensions.

Over the years I've concluded that reporting is just alot of hot air with nothing to back it up. If anyone threatens to "report" me in game I always reply "Go right ahead".

#24 Khosumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 136 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 February 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Sorry I will not mindlessly run to my death, if I am last alive in a light mech, I am not stretching it out, I am trying to by time to find an opportunity where I could single out another maybe more damaged mech get a kill rinse repeat....running for your life doesn't mean your running to draw out the clock....

Did you even read the original post?

#25 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostEthak, on 24 February 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

So next time you draw out a match for no reason that will not make you win, don't be offended when someone reports you as AFK. Because it's the right thing to do.

That would be non participation.

Apart from that, I have seen last mech standing lights actually do quite a fine job of making themselves scarce and attempting to inflict as much damage as they can. Sometimes it may look like they run away. And yes, I know what you are saying, but I have seen some type in 'reported', only for that action to be invalidated as the light then went on to take out a couple of enemies, and either win it for the team or go down quite honourably trying to.

#26 Pelanistra

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

...or the people that are AFK during load-up staging and first 2 minutes of the game (soon to be plodding alone in a Direwolf across Polar Highlands).

I know its not exactly the topic, but this late entry to a game irritates me most. And the user usually pilots a heavy or assault which would have been valuable in a battle plan, or that light that tips the balance at the thrilling end.

Of course I exclude DCs.

#27 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Post1Grimbane, on 24 February 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

always thought it was funny that the company tells you how to play the game

Just like how the NFL sets the rules for THEIR game?

MLS also tell the players HOW to play the game this is not new in the grand scheme of sports or games.

Edited by Revis Volek, 24 February 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#28 Melon Lord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 24 February 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

The Light's actions may be a violation of the COC. Report them and let PGI investigate.

Your actions are a violation of the CoC. Team Treason specifically mentions revealing a teammates position as a violation of the CoC.

So your actions as described are actually worse than theirs.

I was wondering if I was the only person to be thinking this. Light MIGHT be at fault when they do this, but anyone who shouts out their position when they are not shut down ARE at fault,and I hope they're reported by everyone on their team for it.

#29 Khosumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 136 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostMelon Lord, on 24 February 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

I was wondering if I was the only person to be thinking this. Light MIGHT be at fault when they do this, but anyone who shouts out their position when they are not shut down ARE at fault,and I hope they're reported by everyone on their team for it.

I think there's a fine line between calling out a position for griefing purposes and calling out to stop dragging out the match for no reason other than just "catch me if you can" mentality. I don't like having a mech locked out for so long when 1 person is evading combat.
I'm not saying to have everyone call people out always, I'm just sharing my opinion.

Edited by Ethak, 24 February 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#30 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostEthak, on 24 February 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Thank you very much for that obvious bit of information, captain obvious. Lights are the one that do it the most.

No. I see many players doing it in all classes. I've found that lights generally keep running while heavier mechs will shutdown somewhere.

#31 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

Here is an exerpt of the MWO Code of Conduct (Yes, it applies to you too!)

So next time you draw out a match for no reason that will not make you win, don't be offended when someone reports you as AFK. Because it's the right thing to do.

Posted Image

OP is talking about those (usually small lights) that want to pad their kdr and deliberately shutdown somewhere or avoid enemies with ecm and their speed.

They're not positioning for better firing angles, they're not trying to keep the enemy at long range in order to kill by a thousand cuts.

They're deliberately avoiding any and all enemies to draw out the round presumably for their kdr.

If I see a (usually light) mech doing that I'm gonna warn them in chat to do something, anything, then gonna call out their position in chat. Reporting does nothing.

You say they're preserving their KDR. I say they're forcing you to earn the last kill.

Edited by Mystere, 24 February 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#32 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

You do not know what you are talking about.

First, if they are running around they are by definition not AFK; second, if you are betraying their location you might want to keep reading the CofC (yes, it applies to you too!) under Greifing. Two wrongs do not make you right.

#33 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

OP is talking about those (usually small lights) that want to pad their kdr and deliberately shutdown somewhere or avoid enemies with ecm and their speed.

Is he?

#34 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

View PostMystere, on 24 February 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Call out a teammate's location? Then you'd be definitely violating the CoC.

Already acknowledged that in my earlier replies.

Feel free to report me.

#35 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

View Postmailin, on 24 February 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

Note that PGI does indeed take reports seriously, they just move slowly and carefully on them. They need to receive several reports of similar abuse about the same player before they will take action.

Oh no doubt. It's so slow and careful that it's a bit of a joke... and you have to be a real douche to warrant an action.

I'm 100% certain I've been reported more than once over the years and have never, ever received anything from them.

If, and when, I ever do receive my first notice then you can be sure I won't do it again. Promise. Scouts honour.

#36 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostNauht, on 24 February 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

Oh no doubt. It's so slow and careful that it's a bit of a joke... and you have to be a real douche to warrant an action.

I'm 100% certain I've been reported more than once over the years and have never, ever received anything from them.

If, and when, I ever do receive my first notice then you can be sure I won't do it again. Promise. Scouts honour.

But the question is, what are you doing that's getting you reported? I think PGI probably also looks at home many drops the player has versus number of reports. If PGI thought it were a serious issue they would be locking your account. (I know because a friend got a 24 hour lock and then a 1 week lock.) He has since cleaned up his act, which is probably PGI's hope anyway, so it's a win.

#37 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostDarkMetalBlade, on 24 February 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

& people are still scratching their heads wondering why nobody plays lights...

That's pretty simple actually. Doing well in a light mech is hard. Screw up? You die.

#38 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Agreed. REMEMBER, though, (and I say this because some folks DON'T remember) that in ASSAULT quick play matches, the best idea for that 12th and final mech, a light already missing a side torso and half its weapons, facing 5-7 enemies yet, may be to make a run for the cap in the hope that it can snatch a victory that way, rather than going out in a blaze o' glory.

Had QUITE a little tussle over VOIP once for that.

But yeah, running off to hide and shut down? If you've got even ONE weapon left, even a strike, then it's a violation, and it should be reported.

PGI won't do squat about it, but whatever. Report anyhow.

#39 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Happened just yesterday. I don't understand, why PGI can't do anything about it? Is it too hard to implement some feature, like "Satellite tracking", that will show last enemy 'Mech on a map, if it's inactive for more then 30 seconds? "Tactical hiding" - is allowed only for short term purposes. When enemy is near, you want to let him pass and then ambush. Long term hiding is forbidden. Some players don't care about COC - game mechanics should prevent them from doing it.
Posted Image

Edited by MrMadguy, 24 February 2016 - 11:35 PM.

#40 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

OP is a douche dictator. If there is time on the clock you are more than allowed to use it and it shouldn't matter what the odds are.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users