34 replies to this topic

#1 Infinite Freedom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

Hi,
A buddy of mine who used to play told me about what is apparently called a DireStar after I told him I enjoy the heavier assault mechs. I can ascertain from the name that it's a Dire Wolf, but not it's loadout. A little help?

#2 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

https://www.youtube....5LSVz4xmcE#t=95

#3 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

Let's cover the first base first. a "Deathstar" in the MW: O slang is a mech (typically assault) with 6+ PPC's which was first popular on the stalker before ghost heat was added (penalty heat for firing more than x weapons)

A direstar is a give all or nothing approach with a direwolf having 10-14 Clan ER PPC's... it often 1 shot kills any enemy with a well placed shot HOWEVER the heat penalty forces you to power down and take internal damage. This means you got 4 alpha strikes (firing all weapons at once) before you are well... a toaster on fire in the pits or Mordor after global warming in the middle of summer in a lava lake.

It's more or less a troll build and not practical

#4 Infinite Freedom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostRampage, on 25 February 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

So a Direwolf with as many PPCs as you can fit? Cool.

#5 Infinite Freedom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 25 February 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Let's cover the first base first. a "Deathstar" in the MW: O slang is a mech (typically assault) with 6+ PPC's which was first popular on the stalker before ghost heat was added (penalty heat for firing more than x weapons)

A direstar is a give all or nothing approach with a direwolf having 10-14 Clan ER PPC's... it often 1 shot kills any enemy with a well placed shot HOWEVER the heat penalty forces you to power down and take internal damage. This means you got 4 alpha strikes (firing all weapons at once) before you are well... a toaster on fire in the pits or Mordor after global warming in the middle of summer in a lava lake.

It's more or less a troll build and not practical

Understood and thank you. I'm probably not going to run it then if it shuts you down after every shot.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostInfinite Freedom, on 25 February 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Understood and thank you. I'm probably not going to run it then if it shuts you down after every shot.

how many mechs do you own that can kill ANY mech in perfect condition with a single shot to the CT?

#7 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Yes, this is most definitely a troll/goofy-for-lulz build. NOT anything you'd run or consider as a practical mech.

That said, it DOES make for really good youtube B33f vid's for good over a beer laughs!

#8 Ward Serpentine

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

I tried this build for a laugh. Ended up killing myself more often than the enemy mech. Ghost heat is a PITA for troll builds :-D

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

DireStar doesn't really work anymore as it will always kill you after the first shot. The reason why it USED to work was that the heat scale couldn't cope with the huge amount being written in and the counter would overflow. This would cause the heat gauge to display 100%, but you wouldn't take additional damage (nor cool down). On booting up again, you could alpha once more and THEN you'd blow up.

These days, it just kills yourself outright. Still good for kicks though!

Try the GigaDrill loadout on a direwhale. It's also good fun; 15 CERLLs on a DWF!

For the record, a stock DWF with no additional heatsinks has 55.50 heat capacity, dissipating 2.75 heat/sec. 15 CERLLs? This goes beyond the scaling chart (it ends at 12 linked weapons), so I'm going to extrapolate and assume that it is at x8 for the 13th, x12 for the 14th, x18 for the 15th. A CERLL produces 10 heat, and 12 CERLLs is already 717.20 heat; so this increases to a whopping 1097.20 heat against your pitiful 55.50 heat capacity! You are now hotter than the sun, and your direwhale glows brighter than the brightest star in the sky!

GLORIOUS LASER MASTER RACE

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 25 February 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#10 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

I broke the damage scale.

#11 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

You also forgot a heat sink. =)

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

Yes. However the main problem is that it is killing itself more than simply being vulnerable...
Oh and most direstar builds have as much armour as a light mech so if you can't do all 4 alpha strikes you are dead.
I do suggest that as a new or intermediate player you should avoid extreme troll builds such as this... it is very hard to be a 'troll' in MW: O but this is one of the ways...

#13 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

With practice and good timing you can get a max of 2 shots with the erppc Direstar before your overheat doom. When alpha striked even without any override the ghost heat trigger is so high you will die

to be able to get another shot you will need to first alpha strike and you will overheat (DO NOT OVERRIDE yet) when you go into the animation it will give you the time for the PPCs to recharge, then hit your override. You will have a very short window to get a second shot off before the heat will kill you. If you try over riding before without going into the animation then your ppcs won't be recharged fast enough to get the second shot off

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Not only does it shut you down, it shuts you down for 2+ minutes.

View PostBoogie138, on 25 February 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

how many mechs do you own that can kill ANY mech in perfect condition with a single shot to the CT?

Honestly? Only my DWF prime can do that, with a 94 point PP alpha that doesn't cause me to shut down.

#15 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

First, the DireStar is the latest iteration of the old Death Star concept...

Originally a Stalker thing, the first Death Star.

Then a Battlemaster thing, the BattleStar (7x ERPPC).

And so on, with each successive assault mech with even MOAR energy hard points.

Now, a certain combination of omnipods makes the Dire Wolf the king of the stars! (Though I suspect the Kodiak will have its version, perhaps the NorthStar or something, that will roll 9x ERPPC.)

Now, WHY do that? Because a single button click causing TWO mechs to explode in glorious fire is FUNNY A F! With the non-omnimech (nomnimech?) builds, you can skimp on both armor AND engine, going with the smallest/lightest of the latter and the absolute minimum of the former, to create a machine that can CARRY all those weapons. But you can't build one that's really able to FIRE all of them, nor to survive a single IS small laser to the ... well, to the ANYTHING. So it's COMPLETELY weak in tactical terms. Minimum maneuverability, minimum armor, minimum heat sinks, and a single alpha strike CAN destroy it pretty easily. The impact of even SEVEN ERPPCs on the CT of just about anything, though?

Totally worth it.

#16 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

#17 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 25 February 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

(Though I suspect the Kodiak will have its version, perhaps the NorthStar or something, that will roll 9x ERPPC.)

You need to fire the PPCs one at a time, for a total of one hundred hits. All its PPCs must also be arm mounted. Otherwise, it cannot live to the legendary Fist of the North Star.

#18 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

View PostOzealot, on 25 February 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Wat?

I assume PP means pinpoint? Care to elaborate how you achieve this 94 pinpoint alpha? Enlighten me. Please.

Well, if you don't mind the ghost heat...

DWF-W

This is 108 damage pinpoint. Not FRONT LOADED. That belongs to Inner Sphere freebirths.

#19 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostOzealot, on 25 February 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

Well, to me pinpoint means: the whole amount of damage is applied in the very moment the target is hit. I'm not a native english speaker so maybe I do get the context wrong. But your example is just tied to burn time. It's actually damage-over-time and not pinpoint as I understand it. In MWO only a projectile can do pinpoint damage. And there is no such 94 pinpoint alpha.

Yeah. It's the weird thing in MWO jargon; pinpoint just means that all the damage converges on a single pixel; i.e. no spread. Everything other than SRMs, LRMs, MGs, LB-X autocannons and flamers are by that definition pinpoint. Even Clan Autocannons are pinpoint, despite what people think; it does converge at a single point, it just does its damage in 2-4 packets (depending on AC size)

Front Loaded Damage, however, means that all the damage is done as a single packet at the instant the projectile hits, i.e. no damage-over-time. SRMs, LRMs, Inner Sphere Autocannons, LB-X cannons of both IS and Clan variants and PPCs deal front loaded damage.

Together, this means that IS non-LB-X ACs, PPCs and Gauss deal pinpoint front-loaded damage (PPFLD). This is probably what you thought of when you heard Pinpoint damage.

So yeah, there's the difference ^^

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 25 February 2016 - 09:55 PM.

#20 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 25 February 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Well, if you don't mind the ghost heat...

DWF-W

This is 108 damage pinpoint. Not FRONT LOADED. That belongs to Inner Sphere freebirths.

You are mixing those terms up i think....LPL are FRONT LOADED with their Dmg as they do more in the first tick then the rest.

IS AC's are in fact PP Pin Point in the fact that they are NOT Hit Scan and all of there dmg is put in a SINGLE place, not spread around like a laser. Gauss is also a PP weapon.

Every weapon in the game is PP if you are saying convergence is the only thing that makes stuff PP. Even Clan ERPPC are NOT PP dmg because of the spread, even though the act like IS one and do SOME dmg to the point of contact the rest is a splash effect and thus they cannot be called TRUE pin point weapon.

Lasers, MG's, and Clan AC's are the definition of NON PP dmg, Clans AC arent even front loaded as every shell does the same amount of dmg.

Edited by Revis Volek, 25 February 2016 - 10:02 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users