Tougher Penalties For Griefers.

36 replies to this topic

#21 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

View PostMadrummer, on 26 February 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

In fact, they gloat how PGI is "full of fuc*ing ni**ers who are too pu**y to do anything," direct quote. These are the types of vile things we have to deal with.

I think the black population of Canada is like 3%. If you're going to use racial slurs at least use the right ones.

#22 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Wait till the griefers start running into your smoke so that you get moderated. Wait till the griefers stand next to you and start running into your weapons fire. Wait till the griefers stack on some TAGs and MGs and paint your mech after running into you and getting you mad.

#23 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

People get to set their own threshold for tolerating offensive behavior from others. PGI, as a business, gets to decide the degree to which they enforce it.

Language is no more or less offensive than me standing in front of you on the bus jerking it like I'm trying to make sparks come out. Don't be so sensitive, right?

Offensive language is designed to offend. It's used, specifically, to offend someone. To then say they shouldn't be offended is a cowardly bit of BS designed to absolve the person being the offensive pri*k of the responsibility they have for being an offensive pri*k.

Report them, mute them. Let PGI ban them. A-holes like that thrive on being an a-hole and trying to make their bad behavior someone else's fault.

It denotes insecurity and a need to exert control over others. If someone isn't just oblivious to their negative impact on the people around them but actively being an irritant just to try and get a sense of control they have no real value to the herd and need culled.

Report, and in really bad cases send an e-mail to support.

#24 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostDahkoht, on 27 February 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Honestly , it's a simple fix , but for some reason, PGI won't do it.

They have a couple folks randomly drop in team queue with no PGI tags , guarantee over the course of a night they will run into a couple of said units/groups who scream racist things into chat and VOIP.

They permanently ban them on the spot.

End of week post the list , continue it randomly every few weeks , soon no one will ever do it other than occasional trial mechs.

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 27 February 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

This would be awesome

It would be so great if PGI played their own game, for so many reasons.

#25 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 27 February 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

Well, no offense fella, but the swastika really is "just an image." The only power it has is that which people choose to give it. That people react with such ferocity and hatred in response to it plays right into the hands of the people adorning it. Ignoring the simple fact you really are no better than they because you're attempting to suppress and subjugate them to your will with your superior, righteous ideals as you have deemed theirs inappropriate and foul thereby justifying any and all actions against them in order to achieve your 'holier than thou' goal of cleansing the evil doers and showing them the err of their wicked ways.

There's a very big difference between being verbal and being violent - Until someone starts doing the latter, you've no position, authority or right to censor, silence or otherwise punish them for saying something you don't like or agree with

Negative. That's some of the most victim-shaming **** I've ever heard. This isn't a chat program, it's not a redit feed, it's not something where you can just unsubscribe from a thread to no longer hear the blatant breaking of TOS ******** that's streaming from these scumbags.

And the swastika is not just a symbol. Hate speech is not just words. They are specific representations of an individual's thoughts and desires, and are what people use to display their views and threats. It's not an idea that's up to interpretation, and the words are given their meanings and "powers" by the individuals and groups that use them, not by the listener that they are directed toward. Your logic is like saying, "Knives are only given their destructive force by the people being stabbed. If you don't believe that they will hurt you, then the cuts won't make you bleed." It's ignorant, immature, and shows a lack of both compassion and understanding while showing your social and intellectual development.

But hey, apparently I've insulted your sensibilities and your world views, so I guess you DO understand where I'm coming from, even if you don't want to admit that others should be given the same courtesy. Maybe you're not dense, maybe you're just selfish and belligerently rude?

But to sum it up, they're breaking TOS, they're purposely griefing their team, they're abusing a function of the game, and what they are doing is a crime called "Verbal harassment/abuse" because yes, saying "you f*cking ni**ers need to get f*cking hung. F*cking fa**ots I'd kill you if I ever saw your ni**er asses in my town hahaha" is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable, and to think that such actions should go unpunished in a civilized society is ridiculously idiotic. ((That is, by the way, a direct quote by an individual that I would LOVE to post up the name and unit tag of, but for some reason these scummers are protected against public shaming on this forum))

But hey, no, you're right, these scumbags totally deserve the right to say this, right? Even though it's not free speech, and even though it is not an affront to it to see these worthless sh*tbags punished for their abuse.

Edited by Madrummer, 28 February 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#26 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostDahkoht, on 27 February 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Honestly , it's a simple fix , but for some reason, PGI won't do it.

They have a couple folks randomly drop in team queue with no PGI tags , guarantee over the course of a night they will run into a couple of said units/groups who scream racist things into chat and VOIP.

They permanently ban them on the spot.

End of week post the list , continue it randomly every few weeks , soon no one will ever do it other than occasional trial mechs.

Better yet, keep the whales. Disable their ability to use VOIP. At all. Ever. Let them spew venom in chat. Screenshot it and then they get chat-banned. They can Teamspeak/Vent/Discord to their heart's content, but they will not interfere with other players. And, if they start TKing, then they get the perma-ban.

#27 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostMadrummer, on 28 February 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

Negative. That's some of the most victim-shaming **** I've ever heard. This isn't a chat program, it's not a redit feed, it's not something where you can just unsubscribe from a thread to no longer hear the blatant breaking of TOS ******** that's streaming from these scumbags.

Victim shaming, really? That's a pretty far stretch, but considering you didn't understand what I said and your assertions are clear enough evidence of that, I'm not surprised in the slightest. This isn't like ra**, murder or physical violence - You're not a victim unless you give the words being throw at you the power their speakers are hoping you do and turn yourself into a victim. And yes, this is something you can 'unsubscribe' from - It's called Mute and Block. Should you feel so inclined to act on a TOS that was formulated with the pretense of protecting people like the OP, mind you, then go report them as well. Don't mistake for one second, which you currently do, that just because you're siding with the morally popular opinions (Which is suppression and censorship of the morally unpopular opinions) that you are 'right' or 'innocent' and not merely enacting a different form of subjugation that happens to be acceptable at the time. Chains are chains, whether they're rusted iron or pretty pink painted steel.

And the swastika is not just a symbol. Hate speech is not just words. They are specific representations of an individual's thoughts and desires, and are what people use to display their views and threats.

Yes, it's just a picture and hate speech is still just words. I never said that they dont mean something to certain people, my point however is that they really don't mean anything at all unless people allow it, on either side.

It's not an idea that's up to interpretation, and the words are given their meanings and "powers" by the individuals and groups that use them, not by the listener that they are directed toward.

I didn't specify the 'victims' as the sole source of meaning or power. I differentiated between the power the User gives it versus the power the Receiver gives it. Point in case: Sticks and Stones - Don't be a victim unless you want to be... Tantamount to convicting yourself of a crime and choosing your own punishment.

Your logic is like saying, "Knives are only given their destructive force by the people being stabbed. If you don't believe that they will hurt you, then the cuts won't make you bleed." It's ignorant, immature, and shows a lack of both compassion and understanding while showing your social and intellectual development.

You didn't get my logic at all, so please don't try to formulate meaningful analogies trying to explain it.

But hey, apparently I've insulted your sensibilities and your world views, so I guess you DO understand where I'm coming from, even if you don't want to admit that others should be given the same courtesy. Maybe you're not dense, maybe you're just selfish and belligerently rude?

Something in your words suggests projection and that I'm not actually the one insulted here. I'm certainly not the one resorting to meaningless personal attacks to support my position.

But to sum it up, they're breaking TOS, they're purposely griefing their team, they're abusing a function of the game, and what they are doing is a crime called "Verbal harassment/abuse"

Then report them /shrug.

because yes, saying "you f*cking ni**ers need to get f*cking hung. F*cking fa**ots I'd kill you if I ever saw your ni**er asses in my town hahaha" is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable, and to think that such actions should go unpunished in a civilized society is ridiculously idiotic. ((That is, by the way, a direct quote by an individual that I would LOVE to post up the name and unit tag of, but for some reason these scummers are protected against public shaming on this forum))

What's stopping you? What's PGI going to do - Nothing. I mean that's why this thread exists isnt it? Because PGI is failing at being your righteous avenger? Your self-imposed victim status is left unfulfilled, vulnerable! How dare PGI create 'rules' to keep the bad words from touching me and sit idly by! They are clearly unreliable... Post the person's name and be victorious! Your thirst for vengeance will be sated!

But hey, no, you're right, these scumbags totally deserve the right to say this, right? Even though it's not free speech, and even though it is not an affront to it to see these worthless sh*tbags punished for their abuse.

From now on every time you use the following words or any variation of them you will punished by 2 years prison time up to a maximum of the penalty of death: Love, Happiness, Joy, Comfort, Freedom, Religion. My 'civilized' society has determined they are derogatory in nature, promote fear and are a source of emotional pain due to their widespread usage and association with criminal activity. -- Sounds pretty ridiculous, doesnt it. In point of fact it's very true - those words do exactly as I stated whether you agree with it or not. But since popular opinion is on your side, you're clearly right. (Not)

I do not condone the intentions of people that say such things, especially when it leads to violence against themselves or others. I'm not going to endorse the suppression of people either. But dont stand there pretending censorship and punishment for using 'unsavory' words is anything more than the exertion of your will and beliefs upon others thinly veiled by a self-righteous delusion of morality and a hypocritical farce.

#28 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostCoolant, on 26 February 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

Many players have young kids in the house, so for those that curse, yell, and heap abuse remember that. There are even kids that play the game, young kids. Think about that next time you curse like a sailor, or rage.

And those kids will hear and start using those curses when they start going to school anyway. Just like everyone else.

#29 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

View PostMadrummer, on 26 February 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

Main thing I am upset over is the fact that PGI seems to almost take a "nothin' we can do about it" stance against most of this.

Consider the income PGI gets from these people, and that should answer the question as to why magically "nothing can be done" about them.

View PostDrxAbstract, on 28 February 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

I do not condone the intentions of people that say such things, especially when it leads to violence against themselves or others. I'm not going to endorse the suppression of people either. But dont stand there pretending censorship and punishment for using 'unsavory' words is anything more than the exertion of your will and beliefs upon others thinly veiled by a self-righteous delusion of morality and a hypocritical farce.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. For example, if some tool goes around tossing out the n-word in public, and he gets banned from certain establishments for his bad behavior, tough. That's perfectly legal and to be expected in a civilized society. It's not a "double standard" to enforce basic decency, and yes, some people's "will's and beliefs" are better than others. That's life.

Edited by oldradagast, 28 February 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#30 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 28 February 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

Consider the income PGI gets from these people, and that should answer the question as to why magically "nothing can be done" about them.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. For example, if some tool goes around tossing out the n-word in public, and he gets banned from certain establishments for his bad behavior, tough. That's perfectly legal and to be expected in a civilized society. It's not a "double standard" to enforce basic decency, and yes, some people's "will's and beliefs" are better than others. That's life.

Then it's not really FREEDOM of speech, now is it. And, yeah, it's the epitome of a double standard. Legality, consequence and banishment in this case are as long as it's the popular opinion then it's alright. Has nothing to do with actually being right. I've already explained that, and you've got nothing to defend your position other than "Well these guys do it, laws do it, etc." Rules and Laws written by people siding with the morally popular opinion. That opinion being "We don't like it, so we're not going to allow it." thereby justifying themselves unequivocally.

A. People actually speak that way toward one another.

B. They actually have rules and laws to punish people for not speaking in acceptable manners toward one another.

What kind of 'civilized' society forces people to act and communicate with specified restrictions yet is more than willing to condemn them for mere words.

"For the greater good."

Yep. Whether you are willing to accept that is up to you. Should it be allowed? Yes. Is alright to do it? No. Does anyone have the right to persecute someone else for it? No. But we'll make an exception, just this one time... Because we're 'civilized'. And thus we enter the fundamental cause for the whole ordeal: "some people's 'will's and beliefs" are better than others." What ever helps you sleep at night, Adolf.

#31 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 28 February 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yep. Whether you are willing to accept that is up to you. Should it be allowed? Yes. Is alright to do it? No. Does anyone have the right to persecute someone else for it? No. But we'll make an exception, just this one time... Because we're 'civilized'. And thus we enter the fundamental cause for the whole ordeal: "some people's 'will's and beliefs" are better than others." What ever helps you sleep at night, Adolf.

You really don't understand why spouting off hate speech is a problem and think it's all about "different points of view?" You can't possibly be that dense, but whatever. Also, I love your hypocrisy - so, to be clear, "every viewpoint is equal because of your version of freedom of speech," but because YOU feel everyone should be allowed to say whatever they want, everyone else is "bad and a tyrant" That's called hypocrisy - you're trying to ramrod YOUR worldview - everyone can say whatever they want with no consequences - down everyone else's throats while hiding behind the concept that "every viewpoint is valid." Hypocrite.

Give us all a call when you can form a cohesive argument that doesn't involve you siding with jackboots or playing the "everyone's viewpoint is equally valid" cop-out card, joker. Mindless, violent hatred is not a "personal opinion that is perfectly acceptable," and banishing it IS the proper response of a civilized society.

Edited by oldradagast, 28 February 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#32 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 28 February 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Victim shaming, really? That's a pretty far stretch[...]
Don't be a victim unless you want to be[...]
From now on every time you use the following words or any variation of them you will punished by 2 years prison time up to a maximum of the penalty of death: Love, Happiness, Joy, Comfort, Freedom, Religion. My 'civilized' society has determined they are derogatory in nature, promote fear and are a source of emotional pain due to their widespread usage and association with criminal activity[...]
But dont stand there pretending censorship and punishment for using 'unsavory' words is anything more than the exertion of your will and beliefs upon others thinly veiled by a self-righteous delusion of morality and a hypocritical farce.

You just went full ******. Never go full ******.

#33 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 28 February 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

You really don't understand why spouting off hate speech is a problem and think it's all about "different points of view?" You can't possibly be that dense, but whatever. Also, I love your hypocrisy: so, spouting hate speech is fine, but being opposed to it somehow makes "everyone else bad." Give us all a call when you can form a cohesive argument that doesn't involve you siding with jackboots or playing the "everyone's viewpoint is equally valid" cop-out card, joker.

The basic "I have no valid argument to make so i'm calling into question everything I can possibly grasp for instead." response.

I understand it. I've come to terms with the fact words are just words despite the intent behind them - It's called Maturity. I dont expect this running gag of a 'civilized society' people like you have deluded yourselves into believing you're a part of to come save or protect me from words.

On the point of hypocrisy: You've got that a bit backwards. I said hate speech is just words, and I also stated it's not alright that people do it. However, I also said that silencing someone's voice and taking their freedom is acceptable on the basis of their words alone is so far beyond justification you are no better than they are. Period. I also didn't claim everyone's viewpoint is equally valid. I said exerting yours over someone else's simply because you dont like theirs is bad.

It's not cohesive because apparently you just couldnt understand it and how you managed to screw it up, I have no idea. I hope that clarifies it for you.

View PostMadrummer, on 28 February 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

You just went full ******. Never go full ******.

Oh look, another "I dont get it so i'm going to take everything out of context and insult you." I was waiting for one of those... Your surrender is accepted.

Edited by DrxAbstract, 28 February 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#34 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

You folks see what we're dealing with here, right? People like DrxAbstract who believe that shouting racial slurs is the mark of maturity.

#35 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

View PostMadrummer, on 28 February 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

You folks see what we're dealing with here, right? People like DrxAbstract who believe that shouting racial slurs is the mark of maturity.

<sigh> Although I really don't like his presentation, in essence, I think he's right. People get their panties all wadded up over words. However, and this is a BIG however, this game is not government. The First Amendment simply states that the government cannot govern speech. Society can. And the owners of this game certainly can.

Look, it's like this: if someone wants to be a defamatory a$swipe, they have every right to expect the government to stand down. That is not the same as "and everyone else has to accept it." I don't condone the aforesaid a$swipes' language, but if it's offensive, either turn them off or walk away. Or get PGI involved, although it doesn't appear they are willing to. But most games (and I'm far too lazy to look it up in this game's TOS) have something about defamatory speech in their TOS. A violation of which most certainly is actionable. BY THE GAME and its somewhat backwards denizens.

You don't have to like it. Personally, I don't. But this is not a freedom of speech issue, really. This is about a company unwilling to look after its patrons. Or, rather, some of its patrons.

Edited by Astrocanis, 28 February 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#36 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostMadrummer, on 28 February 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

You're still here? Well... At least you got my name right.

#37 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

View Postsycocys, on 27 February 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

Here's the problem with that - the griefers are actually right, PGI won't do anything about it regardless of how many people are reporting it with or without evidence.

then its not against the rules? Then its not griefing?

lol

View PostMischiefSC, on 27 February 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

People get to set their own threshold for tolerating offensive behavior from others. PGI, as a business, gets to decide the degree to which they enforce it.

Language is no more or less offensive than me standing in front of you on the bus jerking it like I'm trying to make sparks come out. Don't be so sensitive, right?

Offensive language is designed to offend. It's used, specifically, to offend someone. To then say they shouldn't be offended is a cowardly bit of BS designed to absolve the person being the offensive pri*k of the responsibility they have for being an offensive pri*k.

Report them, mute them. Let PGI ban them. A-holes like that thrive on being an a-hole and trying to make their bad behavior someone else's fault.

It denotes insecurity and a need to exert control over others. If someone isn't just oblivious to their negative impact on the people around them but actively being an irritant just to try and get a sense of control they have no real value to the herd and need culled.

Report, and in really bad cases send an e-mail to support.

lol

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users