• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

View Post1453 R, on 01 March 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

I would hope, and tentatively surmise, that such is in fact a primary concern in any sort of engine-update debates at the PGI offices. Especially considering how much trouble they've had with CryEngine, and how not-helpful CryTek has been with resolving those troubles.

Anyways...something of a very sore spot earlier, Sandpit. Apologies.

trust me I understand :P

and I agree, Cry update or new engine it HAS to be something PGI is going to be comfortable with AND has enough support to help with

#182 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

View PostGyrok, on 01 March 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

The issue there is the fact that the game they have built to this point will not just roll over into any UE format. The 2 code bases are not even remotely close, and they would have to recreate all the modifications to the engine they have implemented so far in UE to even have the game back up and running.

I really think people underestimate how much work we are talking about.

To create a new MMO infrastructure from scratch (essentially what you would be doing, as only art assets, etc. would convert), is an undertaking that a company like bioware spends years doing...with a team of 100+ developers.

A change to UE4 is beyond a reasonable doubt out of the question.

Plot twist:

MWO is not an MMO.

Though I agree that converting engines is a hellofalot of work.

#183 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

View PostGyrok, on 01 March 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

The issue there is the fact that the game they have built to this point will not just roll over into any UE format. The 2 code bases are not even remotely close, and they would have to recreate all the modifications to the engine they have implemented so far in UE to even have the game back up and running.

I really think people underestimate how much work we are talking about.

To create a new MMO infrastructure from scratch (essentially what you would be doing, as only art assets, etc. would convert), is an undertaking that a company like bioware spends years doing...with a team of 100+ developers.

A change to UE4 is beyond a reasonable doubt out of the question.

I hate to bring this travesty up again, but do remember that PGI managed to put together a demonstration version of Transverse in the background at PGI. They've shown with that their coding need not stop on MW:O to rebuild it in UE.

#184 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 01 March 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

I hope they are thinking a little more long term, and make a decssion based on more than just "oh! look how pretty this can look!"

I mean we have seen the graphics in MWO go backwards from the beta to now... ammo explosions, the whole leg bendy thingy to go with hill sides, glowing eyes on the Atlas...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Man I wish I could've been around for this...

Trust me Metus...it was glorious. SOOO much better. It really felt like you were piloting a huge Mech. The physics and particle effects...it was a hoot just to spectate. It had its beta bugs like any ealry build but boy was it beautiful and functional looking. Just watch the GDC video. This is what Im hoping for with a new engine. To create that sense of Mech immersion that we had. Much more of course. It can be done and if MWO is to continue to grow and remain relevant I believe they must upgrade.

Carl

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users