Map Voting Has Become Tiresome.

39 replies to this topic

#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

I played exactly 3 matches in quick play this week. Every single one was Polar Highlands.

And if you don't like voting - don't vote and bring heat/damage efficient mechs that work on all the maps like you should be doing.

#22 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

loltyranny

It's maps. In a game. Get a little perspective...

#23 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostMead, on 27 February 2016 - 06:52 AM, said:

loltyranny

It's maps. In a game. Get a little perspective...

Big things always start from seemingly small things. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 27 February 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#24 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 27 February 2016 - 02:26 AM, said:

1)It breaks lore: As a mechwarrior, you don't exactly get to pick where you fight on a planet, you go where command tells you, and sometimes, that's not a place that's good for your mech's specs. You just have to deal with it. The removal of map voting has allowed boating to take a firmer hold, as you can simply pick the specific maps to fit your playstyle, instead of having to adapt. sure you're not guaranteed those maps, but given the style of play currently prevalent in MWO, it's likely you'll get what you want.

And, if this were lore, command would give you a mech instead of you needing to pay for it yourself. Unless you were a merc. They you would refuse to take a contract from a command that had an inept information officer that had no idea what territory you would be dropping in so you could decide which mechs you wanted loaded in the dropship.

And, if this were lore, you would take stock, or near stock loadouts instead of the meta mech builds you all see now. Most (I'm not saying all) stock mechs had loadouts that were useful in any territory. Plus, command (unless they were grade A morons or only had limited choices available) would not send a Black Knight to Terra Therma when they also had Cataphracts or other cooler running heavies available.

Plus, it is actually less than likely you will get the map you want, or event the choice of map you want with this voting system. That is why most everyone takes what usually works on any map/mode, or the most popular ones. High alpha laser vomit heavies. What needs to change is your ability to select the mech you want to play for the weight class you selected AFTER map/mode has been voted. Then you will see a better mix of battles.

2) good maps go unplayed. 2 words: Polar Highlands.

Funny, I checked my stats. It says I played on it 46 times since release. I'm not sure of my exact count, but I'm pretty sure I've played less than 400 games since it's release. So, well over 10% of the time. Given there are 15 maps in the rotation, that makes it one of the ones I play on the most. I also see a pretty even spread of maps. So, I'm not sure what queue you play in, but it must not be the same one I do.

#25 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostMystere, on 27 February 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

Big things always start from seemingly small things. Posted Image

Let me know when someone gets sold into slavery over the map voting.

#26 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

I do not get the need to improve something players do not want. Especially with a new game mode on the way.

PGI should work to make the unpopular game modes better in order to get people to play. Not occasionally force feed them to us, especially during events that do not count the victory conditions as part of your score.

#27 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 27 February 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

The biggest danger of democracy is that the majority will trample the rights and wishes of the minority. Indeed in a democracy protections for the rights and wishes of the minorities must be instituted to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

I'm not against minority. But minority should know it's place. It just so wrong, when minority starts thinking, that it's extremely important and special. So important, that majority should be punished for the sake of this minority. Much more important, than it really is. You are not so important. Your wishes aren't more important, than wishes of every other player. Nobody will cherish you, cuz you are so special. We are equal - everybody has one vote. Deal with it and say thx, that PGI decided to implement multiplier for you, so you will be able to punish majority of players at least eventually.

What I don't understand - is your desire to force maps/modes on players, who don't want them. Do you understand, that if players don't like some map/mode - they won't play it properly. They won't play it, as you want it to be played, anyway. They will perform cap rush on Assault for example to end it as soon, as possible. Or play Conquest as Skirmish and stomp you due to you splitting your team to perform capping. So you want to kill enjoyment in this game both for yourself and other players too purely out of principle? This is just some kind of griefing and trolling. If you don't enjoy this game as is - then quit. Don't kill it for others, who still enjoy it.

You are like hardcore raiders in Wow. They also think, that they are extremely important and special. So special, that they can demand making rading content, that requires 50% of devs resources, exclusive for then. But the real truth is in fact, that they are only 1% of player base - if they'd quit, nobody would notice it, cuz 50K of players is nothing, when one casual player quits every 15 seconds.
Posted Image

Edited by MrMadguy, 27 February 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#28 SideWinderBLN

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hm ...

Just looking at my Map Stats:

My highest scoring Map (River City) comes up in 12% of my games. The rarest (Terra Therma) about 3%.

Most other Maps are between 5% and 10%. My favorites, so those that I consistently vote for, are nearer to 10.

So unless I am playing more than 50 Quick Matches during the week for a total of over 10 hours, there is basically no map at all that I would see more than 5 times. Even at a 100 games I should see many Maps only about 5 times.

And since voting gives me my favorite maps about two to three times as often as my least favorite maps it seems to be working for me at least.

#29 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

Personally, the only reason I don't vote for Polar very often right now is that I've already played the crap out of it since its launch. This is a fairly new account, but I've played Polar 71 times. Many other maps that I played for months earlier are lower, like Frozen City at 63 and Caustic Valley at 60. I've played Alpine Peaks and Terra Therma less times combined than I have Polar.

I like the map but I'm a bit burnt out on it right now, I'll probably start voting for it again in a few months or something.

#30 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

I don't even bother voting. Quick match should be rotating every map and mode...period. Variety is good. Voting limiting the maps and modes people like is a problem, especially when there is no viable end game content with stale gameplay.

#31 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

2) good maps go unplayed. 2 words: Polar Highlands.

I can count the number of times I've played on Polar this week on one hand, and it's not even a full five times.

Funny how Russ confirmed during Townhall that Polar is the third most played map currently. You must just be playing on a different server from the rest of us, I see it all the time myself. Posted Image

#32 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 27 February 2016 - 02:44 AM, said:

It's called democracy, power of majority. Deal with it. You don't have multiplier, when you vote for your president. And power of minority is called tyranny. And we don't need tyranny to happen in this game.

That is a pretty humorous post given that tyranny of the majority is a thing and as such is already here. We really need to go back to random for maps, and honestly for modes as well because voting sucks.

#33 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 27 February 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

What I don't understand - is your desire to force maps/modes on players, who don't want them. Do you understand, that if players don't like some map/mode - they won't play it properly. They won't play it, as you want it to be played, anyway. They will perform cap rush on Assault for example to end it as soon, as possible. Or play Conquest as Skirmish and stomp you due to you splitting your team to perform capping. So you want to kill enjoyment in this game both for yourself and other players too purely out of principle? This is just some kind of griefing and trolling. If you don't enjoy this game as is - then quit. Don't kill it for others, who still enjoy it.
This seems like a good reason to get rid of voting entirely. If you are losing the vote for what you want you are being forced into modes/maps you don't want so there is no reason to play properly. You are saying we need to keep it because the majority is the only thing that matters, but I say you are a total effing hypocrite.

Edited by WarHippy, 27 February 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#34 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

When the Map-/Modevotes were not weighted i could see that in 99% of all Matches the majority of Players did not get what they wanted but that the >>>Biggest Minority<<< forced all others to play what they wanted.

Now, Maps and Modes are a matter of Taste and i dont know a single Restaurant/Diner that makes it customers vote for a single meal each visit that everyone and their dog have to eat and thus force them to come again over and over until random luck may have them have the meal of their taste get the biggests minority vote.

That is simply a bad Business Modell that pisses Customers off and the only reason the Diner is still in Business is that currently there is nothing else to go...which will change at some point in the future and then many People will give you a ****!

#35 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

Lol. PGI is trying to force capping on us. Players will hate Assault and Conquest even more. And also new mode... This is the reason, why voting was implemented - PGI wanted to have ability to add new modes without dividing the community. Feels like, it's "King of hill" type of mode, players hate the most. For example "king of hill" type of game play - is the reason, why Therma and Alpine are two most hated maps in this game. Lesser and lesser place for me in this game. PGI are trying to solve problem with low population, but only drive even more players away instead.

Edited by MrMadguy, 28 February 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#36 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:58 AM

Tired of the map voting. I just want an equal distribution of the maps.

#37 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:12 AM

Been playing much Conquest lately. Luckily on maps where Conquest actually works. Always end the same though, 12 kills not on caps. The proposed change will make it interesting. At least one game would have been lost on caps if we hadn't killed the other team.

Can't imagine 4 modes with no choice.

#38 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:48 AM

Would allso like to point out that some troll players are usen the mechanics of the vote system to troll it

#39 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

i accumulate votes to make 100% sure i don't get the only map i hate - alpine. my system works great too, because i havn't played it in a couple weeks now

otherwise i could care less which map or mode i end up on so once i get to x8 votes i stop voting

#40 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

What I found out recently - is that players don't care about game mode. I can't even stack multiplier. I have 1x. And when I try to vote for mode, that has lower % - it gets >50% and starts winning. Looks like majority of player aren't voting at all. So all I need - is vote for Skirmish or Assault, when Skirmish isn't available. I win in 90% cases.

P.S. How can we even talk about fair RNG, if currently every single voting has Alpine, Therma or Polar, two or even all of them? PGI is trying to literally force this maps on us. Thx God we have voting - without it it would be just non stop streak of terrible maps.

Edited by MrMadguy, 28 February 2016 - 09:27 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users